Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648314 times)

jordy913

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #900 on: March 24, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
New member here. I started learning about FIRE in January of this year and I'm completely on board. So many light bulb moments! In the past 3-4 months, I:

- Upped my 401K contribution and Roth IRA (via backdoor) to the max
- Cancelled my Birchbox and PopSugar Must Have subscription boxes <-- What was I thinking?!
- Cancelled my gym membership and committed to exercising outdoors
- Got YNAB and set up a budget
- Set up an account on Personal Capital
- Haven't bought any new clothes
- Stopped buying stupid s**t on Amazon all the time
- Generally adopted a mindset of "Do I REALLY need that? Prob not"

It's really liberating! Next stop is to cut the cable cord, but it's March Madness and my DH is asking to wait until the tournament is over. I guess I can hold out until then :0

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #901 on: March 24, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
- Upped my 401K contribution and Roth IRA (via backdoor) to the max
- Cancelled my Birchbox and PopSugar Must Have subscription boxes <-- What was I thinking?!
- Cancelled my gym membership and committed to exercising outdoors
- Got YNAB and set up a budget
- Set up an account on Personal Capital
- Haven't bought any new clothes
- Stopped buying stupid s**t on Amazon all the time
- Generally adopted a mindset of "Do I REALLY need that? Prob not"

Congrats.  The first and last one will be particularly helpful in reaching FI.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #902 on: March 28, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »
I just changed my 401k contribution from 8% to 14%! I changed my w4 withholding so it all worked out fairly even. My husband will be opening a Roth IRA just in time to take advantage of the saver's credit for 2014.

I know for this board these things are nothing, but for us they're huge. Baby steps. :)

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #903 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »
I just won free coffees for a year! I'm glad I entered that competition :)
It was a promotion where the stores were giving away free croissants if you entered the draw - I entered the draw just to get my freebie and actually won a prize. Sweet.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #904 on: April 01, 2015, 03:33:51 AM »
100th Post!

Mustache level upgrade!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #905 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:50 AM »
1790th post!! (ok sorry j/k)

I think I'm over $600k n/w. Motoring along now :)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #906 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

Awesome job marty998.  Now it becomes mostly up to Mr Market.  Keep it up.
Oh, and speaking your 1790th post... I'm thinking we need at least one category above the 500 postings for "Senior Mustachian".  Something to 'honor' those rare few like Dragoncar, thegoblinchief and others who have been around and posted so much.  Only I can't think of what that level should be called.  Suggestions?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #907 on: April 01, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »

Awesome job marty998.  Now it becomes mostly up to Mr Market.  Keep it up.
Oh, and speaking your 1790th post... I'm thinking we need at least one category above the 500 postings for "Senior Mustachian".  Something to 'honor' those rare few like Dragoncar, thegoblinchief and others who have been around and posted so much.  Only I can't think of what that level should be called.  Suggestions?

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/mustache-levels/
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MrsSmitty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #908 on: April 02, 2015, 06:46:55 AM »
Two big wins to share. In March, for the first time ever, we got our savings rate over 50%. 52% to be exact. Granted that was due partly to reduced spending but mostly to a bonus coming in. But still! Our average is about 47% so it feels good to finally get over that milestone. Second big win: I realized that with the raise I'm going to be getting in the next few months (just a cost of living increase of 1-3%) I'm going to have to reduce the % I put toward my 401K as I'm already maxing it out. Woo! So the raise is going to feel even bigger because I'll end up with more of it in my take home pay. Neat!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #909 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:36 AM »
Two big wins to share. In March, for the first time ever, we got our savings rate over 50%. 52% to be exact. Granted that was due partly to reduced spending but mostly to a bonus coming in. But still! Our average is about 47% so it feels good to finally get over that milestone. Second big win: I realized that with the raise I'm going to be getting in the next few months (just a cost of living increase of 1-3%) I'm going to have to reduce the % I put toward my 401K as I'm already maxing it out. Woo! So the raise is going to feel even bigger because I'll end up with more of it in my take home pay. Neat!

Yay! Fiancee and I have only been over 50% once since we moved in October (it was also 52%, and also from my bonus).

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #910 on: April 02, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »
In the first quarter of 2015 my investment gains were larger than my expenses, for the first time.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #911 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
In the first quarter of 2015 my investment gains were larger than my expenses, for the first time.

now that is something to smile about

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #912 on: April 04, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »

I have more money than month!

It's all taking a little luck, a lot of hard work anda lo of frugality.   

Well done!  Keep it up, especially the attitude/mindset!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Quinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #913 on: April 05, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
I'll take little celebrations right now...

Hubby fixed a leaky faucet.
I've got homemade yogurt incubating.
Eating a dinner of fresh lettuce picked from the backyard garden.
Listed two things on Craigslist.
Our mini vacation, although ended, cost us nothing more than the price of food. Left a lovely dinner in the fridge for our very generous hosts.
Oh, and perhaps most exciting, I won ynab for free by doing an online class! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!

kreyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #914 on: April 05, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
  • finished school (side-benefit of no more semester payments)
  • paid off high-interest student loans (2 remaining)
  • positive net worth still climbing
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:58:08 PM by kreyc »

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #915 on: April 07, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
FI hit.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #916 on: April 07, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »
FI hit.

That's a mini-accomplishment? (see post #1, below)  I'd love to know what you think a major one is!  Fantastic news, at any rate.

Use this thread to post your mini-accomplishments so we can celebrate with you!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #917 on: April 07, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »
FI hit.

Congrats Erica!  Well deserved.  :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #918 on: April 07, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »
FI hit.

Two little words with such significance! Way to go, Erica!

Quinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #919 on: April 07, 2015, 07:56:52 PM »
Yay Erica! Wahoo!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #920 on: April 08, 2015, 05:24:54 AM »
Congrats, Erica!  Just checked out your blog - the Natural Living post....too funny.  If I knew how to do a slow clap emoticon, I'd put one here. 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #921 on: April 08, 2015, 07:27:51 AM »
Congratulations Erica, love your work blog.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #922 on: April 08, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »
FI hit.
Congrats Erica!  BTW I really enjoy your blog - I just hope someday to have half your skill.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #923 on: April 08, 2015, 04:55:26 PM »
Hey thanks, guys! I've been pretty quiet on the forums lately b/c I've got this book thing happening and it's sucked all the extra computer hours from my day, but thinking about you wonderful stingy bastards has helped with the motivation factor many times!

We hit FI a couple weeks ago. I didn't want to make a thread about it or whatever but I did kinda want to have a teeny "YAY!" moment with you guys. There are very, very few people in "real life" I can tell about this point, and even my blog isn't an appropriate venue to discuss this kind of thing, so thanks for being the right peeps to celebrate with.

We were pushing pretty hard b/c my husband is a contractor and his gig expires in Fall - so we wanted to make any further work optional after that point. If he gets brought back for another couple years at his current (excellent) corporate contract gig, he'll likely do it for the additional $$$ buffer, but at this point the FU money is in place. My blog and the activities it chronicles (Urban Homesteading, cooking, preserving, etc.), is an integral part of our post-FI strategy. We pretty much plan to grow stuff, raise kids, write as much as we can, and eat really well. Maybe not life-changing goals, but satisfying to us.

Thanks for your kind words, guys!

XOXO
--Erica

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #924 on: April 08, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »

My blog and the activities it chronicles (Urban Homesteading, cooking, preserving, etc.), is an integral part of our post-FI strategy. We pretty much plan to grow stuff, raise kids, write as much as we can, and eat really well. Maybe not life-changing goals, but satisfying to us.

I'd love to hear more details on this, in the thread here if it's not germane to your blog.

BEAST33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #925 on: April 09, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
I just paid off $28K in credit card and loan debt.  It's almost a surreal feeling to see zero balances on everything.  Now to get rid of my clown cars (jeep and Tahoe) for some cash cars.  Soon I'll be in good shape to start saving and not living pay check to pay check.  Thanks to MMM for inspiring me to live a better life and to be debt free....it truly is a great feeling.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #926 on: April 10, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »

My blog and the activities it chronicles (Urban Homesteading, cooking, preserving, etc.), is an integral part of our post-FI strategy. We pretty much plan to grow stuff, raise kids, write as much as we can, and eat really well. Maybe not life-changing goals, but satisfying to us.

I'd love to hear more details on this, in the thread here if it's not germane to your blog.
Sure. I'm not a doomsday prepper or anything, but I think that our food supply is increasingly fragile, basically. I think that water pressure in California and increasingly frequent extreme weather events in staple-crop regions are going to put strong upward price pressures on America's historically cheap food supply. I don't see any kind of massive price spike happening immediately, except maybe in beef and dairy, but suspect we'll be looking at an economic environment where people who want to eat non-subsidized food crops (most fruits and vegetables, humanely raised meat, etc.) are going to have to pay a lot more for the opportunity to do so.

Having a large (by urban standards) garden, tree and berry fruit, and more self-sustaining meat and egg options gives my family a nice buffer against what I expect will be consistent price creep in food. It helps make us more "anti-fragile" to buzzword this. The solar panels we installed last year are also in this category - an initial investment will help us offset ongoing expenses for years going forward and help provide a buffer against unexpected fluctuations in energy prices.

My blog is both a feel-good thing (I really love sharing info as I can with like-minded people), a slight side-hustle, and a way to make many of our expenditures legitimate business expenses or things that can be had in trade with vendors (people send bloggers a lot of stuff, which can be kinda nice. New gardening books for free! Yay!)

In short, it might be fair to say that while I find our lifestyle extremely fulfilling on a day-to-day basis for a whole host of reasons, I also appreciate it as a reassuring insurance policy as we slide into the possibility of ER. I like having fuck you money AND fuck you food. :) Does that make sense?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #927 on: April 10, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
Totally!  Thanks for the explanation.  :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #928 on: April 11, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #929 on: April 14, 2015, 11:17:14 PM »
I just paid off $28K in credit card and loan debt.  It's almost a surreal feeling to see zero balances on everything.  Now to get rid of my clown cars (jeep and Tahoe) for some cash cars.  Soon I'll be in good shape to start saving and not living pay check to pay check.  Thanks to MMM for inspiring me to live a better life and to be debt free....it truly is a great feeling.

Well done!  You'll be amazed at how fast you can save/invest when you have no debt and efficient vehicles. 

BEAST33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #930 on: April 15, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »

Well done!  You'll be amazed at how fast you can save/invest when you have no debt and efficient vehicles.

Thanks Dexterous!  Good news - I received an offer today for $42K for the jeep.  An owner of a very large dealership wants it for himself.  How ironic is that haha!!  Now I just gotta have the same luck getting out from the Tahoe.

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #931 on: April 15, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »
Reached 100k in our retirement accounts (TFSA and RRSP) today!  Found MMM about 6 months ago and have been aggressively saving ever since.  Even more fun than hitting a goal number is setting our next goal!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #932 on: April 17, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
This is incredibly small, but I'm happy about it.

Got both my minis to school/daycare this morning and myself to work on a bike. I'd been putting this off for months trying to work out the logistics, but not only did everyone get everywhere on time, I got to the office 20 minutes early.

House to 7 yr old's school - 3.1 km (1.9 miles) - arrived right when the bell went off!!
School to daycare - 1.5 km (0.9 miles) - Crazy busy road - went on the sidewalk all the way.
Daycare to work - 1.8 km (1.1 miles) - Another busy road through an industrial area glad I didn't have any kids with me!

The 7 yr old was able to ride his own bike and the little guy went in the trailer. This summer we want to do some longer bike rides in Algonquin Park, so this helps us tune up for that. I know this is nothing compared to some of you guys on your bikes, but getting this down is pretty cool for me.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #933 on: April 17, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
Reached 100k in our retirement accounts (TFSA and RRSP) today!  Found MMM about 6 months ago and have been aggressively saving ever since.  Even more fun than hitting a goal number is setting our next goal!

Nice job! It only gets easier in my experience.

radtek2112

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #934 on: April 17, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »
Finally rid of Edward Jones!!!  All accounts with them are closed and moved to Vanguard.  This should save a LOT of money in fees and other bullshit charges.  This feels like a big weight off.  I like the control I have now too. I don't feel like I have to discuss my decisions with someone.

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #935 on: April 17, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »
Finally rid of Edward Jones!!!  All accounts with them are closed and moved to Vanguard.  This should save a LOT of money in fees and other bullshit charges.  This feels like a big weight off.  I like the control I have now too. I don't feel like I have to discuss my decisions with someone.

Awesome job!  I know for myself it felt like such a huge annoying thing to do, but it feel awesome once you've done it.

AmbitiousCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #936 on: April 18, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
We just broke six figure net worth!  Booyah!  Onwards and upwards!

Edit: I should mention that this is only counting liquid assets (Cash + Investments).

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #937 on: April 19, 2015, 05:24:47 AM »
Nice job, AmbitiousCanuck! That is wonderful!

I had "The Talk" with my husband over a year ago, and slowly but surely he was starting to see the light. Just this weekend, he said he agrees that FI is possible in a shorter amount of time than he assumed AND he sees that not buy things = depriving yourself.

The turning point was when after asking him to "just give it a half-hearted try" for 9 months to humor me, I showed him how we easily paid off over $15,000 in credit card debt and saved $10,000 for emergencies.

Whoot! Big victory for us. FI here we come!

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #938 on: April 21, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »
I just hit 50k in investments for the first time!  I know that's small potatoes around here, but I'm on my way up!

I'm glad this thread is here because I am so excited and really wanted to tell someone this but I don't think it's wise to spread it around at work.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #939 on: April 21, 2015, 07:49:42 AM »
I just hit 50k in investments for the first time!  I know that's small potatoes around here, but I'm on my way up!

Congrats!  Everything compounds - $100k will come up faster than you expected, and then it's on to $200k before you know it.

Rheagar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #940 on: April 21, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »
As of today we are officially without cable! I had been hinting at wanting to get rid of cable for a few months, and this weekend my wife realized that she doesn't really watch TV even when it's on. It was mostly background noise for her while she did other stuff, and she actually likes the quiet.

So I called the cable company today and cancelled our service. We had been paying ~130 a month for cable and internet (I know, I know...), and our 1 year promo period just ended and it was now going to be ~200 a month!!! When I called I not only cancelled our cable service, I got twice the internet speed for 2/3 the cost of what I would have been paying, and also got an additional gig of cell data/month added to our plan at no cost (not a big deal since we never go over our limit but still).

So all told we will be saving ~87 bucks a month compared to what we've been paying, and a whopping 157 bucks a month if we just continued in our current situation.

I did spend a good chunk of change to get an OTA antenna and DVR (Channel Master DVR+, anyone else use one?) so that we can still record and pause/rewind shows on OTA channels. I figure that combined with our Fire TV stick and Netflix subscription will be way more than sufficient. I'm pretty pumped that we finally pulled the trigger!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #941 on: April 21, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »
Rhaegar...lol.

Welcome to the forums!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #942 on: April 21, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
Tenure.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #943 on: April 21, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »
Woohoo! Congrats!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #944 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #945 on: April 22, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »
Last month I paid off the Line of Credit and the car loan (it was at 0% so no great push) - two zero balances.  The credit cards get paid off weekly so they are always close to zero.  I still have a small RRSP loan (at prime) that should be done in 3 months, and the mortgage.  As the LOC went down it was gratifying to see the money free up (less interest due each month) and be able to put more down on it.  Now that money is being put aside for necessary house repairs, so no need to borrow for them.  Plus I have a bunch of annual bills come due this month, and the has more than enough for them.

Feels good.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #946 on: April 23, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »
This week, I celebrate both the closing of my father's estate AND the 1 year anniversary of selling the small hobby farm where I grew up that was burning money and taking time away from my family to get it fixed up/cleared out to sell it.   The proceeds are a big chunk of my FIRE fund and income from that is paying down my mortgage faster.

At the same time, I'm itching to downsize and find a smaller piece of dirt of my own where my wife and I can garden again and be without a mortgage as our kids go off to college next year + last one 2 years after that.   Every day is a step closer (and some days are leaps) towards FIRE and FIGE (Financially Independent, Gardening Everyday"!

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #947 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:33 AM »
Paid off my student loans!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #948 on: April 24, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
Paid off my student loans!

Thats such an awesome feeling! Congrats!

Roundabouts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #949 on: April 25, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
This is incredibly small, but I'm happy about it.

Got both my minis to school/daycare this morning and myself to work on a bike. I'd been putting this off for months trying to work out the logistics, but not only did everyone get everywhere on time, I got to the office 20 minutes early.

Good effort, enjoy the accomplishment!  Pretty soon it'll become second nature!