Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648193 times)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #750 on: October 04, 2014, 11:53:23 PM »
I'm non-confrontational by nature but I screwed up my courage at the last minute (thanks in no small part to reading these boards daily and knowing I really, really should) and asked if there was "any movement in the starting salary, since this is the big career jump and I hope to be there many years."

That one half-sentence improved my already generous offer by $5000, and I plan to accept tomorrow.

I loved this part. Congratulations on the new job!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #751 on: October 05, 2014, 05:48:43 AM »
That is awesome news, Missatachian!  Congrats for getting the offer and for asking for more!

Phoebe

• Stubble
    • Phoebe's Journey
« Reply #752 on: October 06, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
Well, today was the day... I officially gave notice to my employer. My knees were weak and my heart pounding as I ascended the stairs to where my bosses reside in our office. I started with some lame small talk, but sensed I should just get on with it. I told them I was leaving the company. Everyone took it remarkably well. I think I had dropped enough hints over the years that it wasn't a big surprise. No attempts to convince me to stay. But there was the repeated, perplexed question: "What are you going to do all day?"

Whatever I want. Starting in 7 weeks, at 42 years old, I will become one of the FIRE'd. :)

Congrats!  What an awesome feeling.

This thread started when I posted in another poster's thread (Phoebe) about both of us reaching $300k at around the same time and ARS said ok lets have a sticky for everyone's achievements.

In honor of Phoebe and marty's accomplishments, I started a mini-celebrations thread here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/celebrations-thread/

I thought it was 2 years ago, but actually it wasn't, it was only 18 months. At the time I said to myself, ok, lets try and go up by $60k a year.

I think I just hit $500k last week! I wonder if Phoebe is still around? She must be close to $1m at the rate she was going....

Apartment: $495k
Loan less cash offset: ($80k)
Net shares: $35k
Super: $54k

Total $504k

wowee :0

Well done!  Semi-Millionaire is an awesome accomplishment.  :)

I too hope Phoebe is doing well.

Hi guys!  I've been reading the forums but haven't logged in for months and missed this little shout out!  I'm still here, just poking around on the sly :)  I'm not up to $1M yet, I think I'm around $653K today - after last year's market run I was hoping I'd be farther along, but this year is a bit slower for gains.  I'd really like to get to $700K this year, and with any luck $1M around March 2016, but I'm in sales so that's very dependent on commissions and how the market as a whole does.  Congratulations on your $500K accomplishment!!!  That's huge!!!  And thanks for the kind thoughts!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #753 on: October 06, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
Just hit $100k net worth last month!!

Also increased my 401k contribution to 25% from 20% this past week.

Just joined this forum last week and I have a lot of new found motivation to exit the rat race as soon as possible!

Fatmouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #754 on: October 11, 2014, 08:27:27 PM »
My celebration today:  I am two months married, and I have been nicely suggesting to my husband for a while that he change his 401k investments to low cost index funds.

We did it today, and he asked a bunch of questions and was really interested!  So, first celebration, husband has come around to learning about investments.  Second celebration, we will save hundreds per year in fees and probably increase returns for something that took us 30 minutes.

Well, 30 minutes if you don't count all of my reading/ podcast learning time learning about personal finance.  But that's priceless anyway.  :)

Cookie

« Reply #755 on: October 12, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
I live a mile away from where a work, but never even thought of biking until I started reading MMM. I bought myself a bike last month and am loving the ride! The mile includes crossing over a large hill, so I still get a good workout doing it.  I'm also selling my beloved car because even though it was bought in cash, we don't need two cars.

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #756 on: October 13, 2014, 05:48:53 AM »
My celebration today:  I am two months married, and I have been nicely suggesting to my husband for a while that he change his 401k investments to low cost index funds.

We did it today, and he asked a bunch of questions and was really interested!  So, first celebration, husband has come around to learning about investments.  Second celebration, we will save hundreds per year in fees and probably increase returns for something that took us 30 minutes.

Well, 30 minutes if you don't count all of my reading/ podcast learning time learning about personal finance.  But that's priceless anyway.  :)

Getting on the same team with your husband is the really priceless action! Congratulations on your marriage and your personal finances!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #757 on: October 13, 2014, 07:01:55 AM »
Just hit $100k net worth last month!!

Also increased my 401k contribution to 25% from 20% this past week.

Just joined this forum last week and I have a lot of new found motivation to exit the rat race as soon as possible!

Congrats!! $100k is an exciting milestone for sure!

Getting on the same team with your husband is the really priceless action! Congratulations on your marriage and your personal finances!

Agreed, this is awesome :)

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: October 14, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »
Small celebration:  Got a raise ($300 pre-tax, $150 post-tax).  Rather than be bummed about how much the taxes killed it I put the entire pretax amount into my TSP contributions.  Am now only $100 short of being 'on pace' to max out, which I will easily increase to by the end of the year.  (Currently we are trying to rebuild savings so want to keep more cash flow than we really need). 

The best part is raising my retirement contribution made me SO HAPPY.  I was refreshing the pay stub website obsessively trying to get the exact amount of the raise, so I could make the TSP change.  I suspect within a couple of paychecks I'll go in and bump it to the max-out pace, just because. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #759 on: October 21, 2014, 11:47:36 AM »
I just realized that our net worth is at $50,000.  Pretty good when this time last year I was not working (getting my Master's) and my husband was working on a PhD, earning $26K and we have a kid.

shitzmagee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #760 on: October 21, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »
Finally road the bike to work for the first time! I've been procrastinating since I got it about 2 months ago. The route is 9.75 miles round trip and I averaged 10.83 mph. I saved about a half-tank of gas or $1.45 in these parts and it only added about 30 mins to my total commute time. Not the greatest ROI, but over time it WILL add up.

Plus I also got a tough workout that I wasn't quite prepared for (monster hills popped out of nowhere...) AND I learned that I need a lot more practice with using gears efficiently.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #761 on: October 24, 2014, 07:11:13 AM »
Sorta found this thread accidentally, so many recent things to celebrate!

1) Got a small bonus ($400) by switching to the HDHP instead of the EPO I had when I joined the company (for 2 months). Employer gives a set amount towards insurance, the HDHP is about $700/yr less than the EPO (which is ~ what the employer will pay for without me contributing). I got $400 of that, and next year they will contribute towards the HSA and make it policy.

2) I got an IRA after finding MMM, and I will fully fund it using my e-fund (it's a Roth).

3) Maxing the HSA I got after finding MMM.

4) I am moving. Just signed the lease on the shiny old apartment (really good deal for the area, rent controlled, etc). $951/mo rent. Moving + deposit + first month's rent is expensive, however (~$3k). My mustache is currently sad about this, but I'm happy.

5) I have access to a 401(k) now, but I don't make enough to max it yet (:()

looking for FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #762 on: October 27, 2014, 05:57:38 AM »
Just started reading the blog last month. We dropped our spending from 9,840 last month to 6,420 this month. We still have many things we can improve but I can honestly say I don't feel like we have made sacrifices just different choices. Looking forward to dropping that number even further next month. :-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #763 on: October 27, 2014, 07:04:18 AM »
Just started reading the blog last month. We dropped our spending from 9,840 last month to 6,420 this month. We still have many things we can improve but I can honestly say I don't feel like we have made sacrifices just different choices. Looking forward to dropping that number even further next month. :-)

Wow, that's a huge drop!

That amount saved, instead of spent, over 10 years at 8% interest will be about $625,000!

PLUS spending that much less means you need to save $1,026,000 LESS for retirement at a 4% SWR (e.g. you'd have had to save 1MM more to support that extra spending that you won't need to save now).

It's amazing how big of a difference changing spending habits can make.

Well done! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

looking for FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #764 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
Thanks looking at those numbers it makes me even more determined to get it down to 5k. :-)

E_Ransom

« Reply #765 on: October 29, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
This is sort of a cheat but... in response to the first "Weekly Challenge" post, I decided to cut $100 from this week's budget by dropping my membership to the town Rotary Club, which came due this week.

I lose a fancy meal once a week hobnobbing with the movers and shakers of the city, as well as the social prestige it brings. But I don't have to pay $145 every three months on community service that I much prefer to do with my own hands. I plan to still help out where I can. But the money basically going to buying me a fine meal... back into the wallet she goes.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #766 on: October 31, 2014, 06:21:30 AM »
In the past year, I've cut our expenses by 3K per year by doing the following:

packing lunches for daughter/cheaper lunches for hubby      306
Switching from TW to 'free' google fiber                         744
Better rates on rental insurance                                    700
Better rate on primary insurance                              200
Switched to Geico for cars                                                 588
Cell phone switch                                                        384
Got rid of Netflix                                                                     96
giving myself hair cuts/no more coloring                                       240
DH doing own haircuts                                                           120

For a grand total of :  $3378. 

Goal next year:  $2388 by doing the following:  Getting rid of PMI, travel hacking to decrease our spendy travel ways, lower utilities and less paper towel/disposable usage.                   

Knowing I decreased our expenses by 3K a year almost makes the 10K+ foundation work we are about to pay for hurt a little less.  Gah. 

jordanread

« Reply #767 on: October 31, 2014, 06:26:36 AM »

Switching from TW to 'free' google fiber                         744

Oh man, I want Google Fiber so bad!!! I'm jealous. Congrats on your accomplishments!!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #768 on: October 31, 2014, 06:29:03 AM »
The cool Google fiber isn't free, but at least it's not TW.  :D  Our free version is working just fine for us, but at most we are streaming a Netflix movie (or were...NF is gone now!) plus having one or two people on the wifi.  So it works for our needs.  YMMV. 

erae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #769 on: November 02, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »
Both our paychecks came in on Friday, pushing our net worth above 6 figures for the first time.  We've got a long way to go - both regarding our lifestyle choices and our investment balances, but I'm hoping the first 100,000 is the hardest :)  I had heard that when you break 100,000 in Personal Capital they connect you with a personal advisor, and we got an introductory email from our assigned advisor this weekend.  We won't be availing ourselves of his services, but it does make me laugh to be considered a high roller.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #770 on: November 03, 2014, 06:18:12 AM »
I'm hoping the first 100,000 is the hardest :) 

Congratulations on the achievement.  I do think the first $100k of net worth is the hardest.  Because most of us had to make real changes/tradeoffs to get there, but once you've done it, those habits are in place, so you can let inertia take you a big part of the way.  You may have still more lifestyle choices to make, but you are already thinking about them and what makes sense for your goals. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #771 on: November 03, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
My 401K just surpassed $50K! Yeah!!! Next goal is $100K net worth, I'm about $10K away :)

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #772 on: November 03, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
We've been struggling to bring down our monthly $1K grocery bill.  October's total came it at ~$750!  Woo!  What changes did we make?
- Meal planning

That's it :)  It's not nearly as low as it could go, but it's a start.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #773 on: November 03, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »
Today I made the final payment on my home equity line of credit. My husband died 23 months ago, and we owed $93,000 on the heloc on that day. I am over the moon that I was able to accomplish this goal. Two years ago things looked very bleak, but I put my head down and with laser focus got it done.

I am very proud to be able to say that I now do not owe anything to anyone. I an totally debt free! 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #774 on: November 03, 2014, 06:35:58 PM »
Inspiring, Prairie Gal. I root a bit harder for the Canadians on this forum.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #775 on: November 03, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »
Prairie Gal, that's wonderful! Congratulations! What a relief it must be to be free of that weight on your shoulders.

My own celebration: I just initiated the transfer that will pay off our last car loan. Thank god. So tired of that damn thing. Never again.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #776 on: November 03, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »
So sorry for your loss, Prairie Gal.  Way to take charge and turn things around financially.  Congrats!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #777 on: November 03, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
Going to begin maxing out my 401k
salary = 96500
401k before = 5%
401k now = 20%

Next step... High deductible plan and HSA. :)

OptimizeOptimism

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #778 on: November 04, 2014, 07:08:38 AM »
Hit 100k net worth at the end of October!

Last week I also put together a spreadsheet to outline my plan to front load maxing out my 401k next year. :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #779 on: November 05, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
Reduced our electricity consumption by 13% from November 2013 - November 2014 (thanks to MMM) and earned a $75 cheque from our power company!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #780 on: November 05, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »
Today I made the final payment on my home equity line of credit. My husband died 23 months ago, and we owed $93,000 on the heloc on that day. I am over the moon that I was able to accomplish this goal. Two years ago things looked very bleak, but I put my head down and with laser focus got it done.

I am very proud to be able to say that I now do not owe anything to anyone. I an totally debt free!
I am so sorry about the loss of your husband. That can really knock folks off balance, making your accomplishment even MORE impressive.  Congratulations on being debt free!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #781 on: November 05, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
I finally took a lot of change I had been collecting long ago and deposited it in the bank - about $280 in change.  I also got check in a class action suit - $30, so almost $300 to the bank!

Not a lot, but it still makes me happy!

jordanread

« Reply #782 on: November 05, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »
I finally took a lot of change I had been collecting long ago and deposited it in the bank - about $280 in change.  I also got check in a class action suit - $30, so almost $300 to the bank!

How much did that change weigh?

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #783 on: November 05, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »
On Saturday 1 Nov 14 I hit the 10 year mark (half way) on my planned 20 years of Military Service.

I have now completed 14 years service, (mixture of Reserve and regular) but this only counts as 10 years of effective service for superannuation purposes.

Anyway, I have my plan and it feels good to tick of this milestone knowing there is a light at the end of my proffesional career.  No plodding along aimlessly to 50, 60 or even 65 years of age for me.

cheers

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #784 on: November 06, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »

I wondered that too! I was wondering how well weight would predict the cash total. I didn't weigh it, but I would guess it was 10-15 pounds. One bucket was quarters, I bet I can find something online re: weight/coin.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #785 on: November 06, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »

I wondered that too! I was wondering how well weight would predict the cash total. I didn't weigh it, but I would guess it was 10-15 pounds. One bucket was quarters, I bet I can find something online re: weight/coin.

Back from the Internet $100 in quarters would weigh 5 lb, I had $190 in quarters, so that's almost 10 pounds there. So closer to 15-17 lbs. with the coin mix.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #786 on: November 09, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
I now have one year's expenses minus health insurance and daycare in my retirement account!  Now for the next 24 years!

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #787 on: November 10, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
I deadlifted 500 lbs this weekend. I'm not a gifted puller; it took me a long time to crack the 500 lb barrier.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #788 on: November 10, 2014, 07:22:24 PM »
I deadlifted 500 lbs this weekend. I'm not a gifted puller; it took me a long time to crack the 500 lb barrier.

Whoa! Congratulations, I can't even imagine what this is like! That is serious.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #789 on: November 12, 2014, 03:14:26 AM »
Woohoo, scored a 17.5% pay rise today!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: November 12, 2014, 05:59:42 AM »
^^Nice!!! 

Hubby had a review, they told him to expect to be on a management track.  It's nice thinking he can say "no" to that in the future if that's not what he wants to do.  But it was also really nice to know they consider him someone capable of moving down the career track. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #791 on: November 12, 2014, 08:24:07 AM »
My celebration for today is that my cash plus investments (retirement funds, Roth, inherited IRA) have exceeded $300,000 this week!

And more reason to celebrate:  my cash plus investments, as of 11/4/14, exceeded $350,000.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #792 on: November 12, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »
My celebration for today is that my cash plus investments (retirement funds, Roth, inherited IRA) have exceeded $300,000 this week!

And more reason to celebrate:  my cash plus investments, as of 11/4/14, exceeded $350,000.

Dang, 50k in 8 months is pretty darn good!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #793 on: November 12, 2014, 12:35:29 PM »

Dang, 50k in 8 months is pretty darn good!

Thanks!

I haven't calculated my savings rate for a while, but for Jan - Aug of 2014, it was 79%.  Amazing what a high savings rate can do for one's account balances!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #794 on: November 12, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
Paid off another Student Loan... 3 more to go.  Sometimes I wish I could go back and bitch slap 21 year old me... ;)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: November 13, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
My Roth brokerage account at USAA just topped $30k! 

I'm very excited about this as my contributions since 2010 when I opened it have totaled only about $13k.  I've picked all the stocks and it feels great to use my brain this way.   In June, 2013, I held my breath as I watched it creep close and then overrun $20k. 

Today, it crossed the $30k line.  Snoopy dance!!!!

Total, I have $74k in retirement assets.  I know that's WAY behind, compared to many here, but it's a huge achievement for me.   I'm looking forward to crossing the $100k line, maybe in 2015.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #796 on: November 18, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »
I joined these forums about 2 months ago and since then my eyes have been opened on so many levels regarding savings rate, income, and just happiness in general.

I realized that being in my late 20's I have plenty of time for a career change so I started looking right around the time I joined here, I found a position I was VERY interested in, applied, and have been interviewing for the past month. Yesterday I received an email requesting a background check release waiver, professional references, and proof of employment/salary. I don't want to get too excited prematurely but all of my close friends and parents believe that I am about to receive an offer.

After doing some homework even on the low end of the pay scale it should be a 25% increase to my current pay within the first year. With much more room for growth than my current career.

I will update when(if) I get an official offer -_-

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #797 on: November 18, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
Paying off my husband's grad loans ($17,000)  today!  All money transferred in, and it is going down!  We are paying off his undergad ones next month!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #798 on: November 18, 2014, 02:40:54 PM »
Nice work!!  Must feel great!

DeSteeg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #799 on: November 19, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
We've been reading and following this blog for ~ 1 1/2 years now.  In the spring we still had ~ 30K in student loans to pay off (completed), and last week our net worth hit $125K

Pretty darn excited about the future! :D