Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648216 times)

rax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #650 on: July 06, 2014, 02:53:24 AM »
Yesterday I managed to explain it all to a friend. With graphs, saving rates, interest rates and all. And he got it.

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here, huge success.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #651 on: July 06, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »
That's great, rax.  You must have done a good job explaining it.  When I try to talk about this stuff with friends/co-workers, they might just give me a polite little smile (as if to briefly acknowledge my weird little hobby) and then they start talking about something else.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »
I love this thread!  Where do I start!  Congratulations 94 on being $400,000.00 + and to EK about student loans going bye-bye!  And to rax for spreading the word. 

My husband is doing better financially just by I guess me doing things in a more MMM way.  I really changed once I got here.  He has changed too.  For example, just before we left for our vacation he signed up for his work's RRSP plan.  It isn't a huge amount but it gets the habit of saving started.   Plus, while we are on vacation he's looking at ways to save $ on eating out. 

Keep 'em coming on this thread, folks.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #653 on: July 06, 2014, 08:13:06 AM »
Thanks, pachnik!

That's great that your husband is getting on board and learning from you!

Enjoy the rest of your time in Montreal, and safe travels back home.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #654 on: July 07, 2014, 06:38:36 AM »
Woo hooo!! I just sent the final payment to my student loan!!! Now I get to decide what to do with all the extra money I'm going to have to play with when I NEVER HAVE TO PAY MY LOANS AGAIN!!! The loan has been a part of my entire adult life up until now, it will almost feel strange to make a budget without a line for my loan!!
By 'play' you mean, invest?  :). 

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #655 on: July 07, 2014, 06:47:26 AM »
Woo hooo!! I just sent the final payment to my student loan!!! Now I get to decide what to do with all the extra money I'm going to have to play with when I NEVER HAVE TO PAY MY LOANS AGAIN!!! The loan has been a part of my entire adult life up until now, it will almost feel strange to make a budget without a line for my loan!!

Of course! What else!?

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #656 on: July 07, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »

Of course! What else!?

Congrats, EK! I know exactly how you feel and it is amazing. Bask in the glory :)

Then make a plan to put your dollars to work earning you more money. You'll see your net worth skyrocket and you'll barely have to lift a finger.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #657 on: July 07, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »
Yesterday I managed to explain it all to a friend. With graphs, saving rates, interest rates and all. And he got it.

This was a triumph.
We do what we must, because we can.

jordanread

« Reply #658 on: July 07, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »

This was a triumph.

I'd be very interested in seeing those graphs and what not. I have a relatively solid method which is just a spreadsheet, but it lets me figure out if they understand it or don't. Was this person resistant to the idea and you turned them, or neutral, or what? I love hearing stories like this, and details would be awesome.

JoJoP

• Bristles
« Reply #659 on: July 07, 2014, 05:34:43 PM »
My husband is doing better financially just by I guess me doing things in a more MMM way.  I really changed once I got here.  He has changed too.  For example, just before we left for our vacation he signed up for his work's RRSP plan.  It isn't a huge amount but it gets the habit of saving started.   Plus, while we are on vacation he's looking at ways to save $ on eating out. 

Keep 'em coming on this thread, folks.
It's a great feeling when the husband gets on board, isn't it? Mine just opened up retirement accounts too. :)

Great!  It's so good that your husbands see that prudent living now will pay off in spades for the future.  Congrats on leading your family down such a terrific path. 

Heather in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #660 on: July 08, 2014, 08:51:17 PM »
Good job EK! Debt-free is THE BEST. One less bill, and a step towards no more debt at all.

Here's mine: I turned our 5 year old gas-guzzling Jeep into a new Honda Fit and $500 today. Yes, new cars deserve a facepunch, but there were a few reasons we went new:
-a clean bill of automotive health (husband, especially, doesn't trust the type of person who might own an entry-level compact hatchback to take good care of it),
-silly tax rules that favour dealers over private sale (basically a 13% advantage to dealers),
-some good customer incentives on right now as the redesigned 2015s are about to arrive.
-Plus, we're now at that point (house paid for, saving like mad) where we can indulge in a few luxuries... No hair on fire here.

I'm looking forward to:
-chopping our gasoline bill in half (we mostly ride bikes, but the new car will still save about $600 per year in fuel costs),
-avoiding the repair bills that might have been looming on the Jeep (my husband used to drive it to work, we did some big roadtrips, and it had 118000 kms),
-fitting it in the garage much more easily to keep it protected from weather, and generally taking good care of it. This car will be with us a long time!

We've grown much more frugal since buying the Jeep, which no longer suited us. Thanks to MMM and forum people for providing a little extra push in deciding to get free of that excessive Jeep!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: July 10, 2014, 04:41:54 AM »
Made it ten years of marriage today...that's cause for celebration

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #662 on: July 10, 2014, 04:42:48 AM »
Indeed! Congrats!

minimos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #663 on: July 10, 2014, 07:06:14 AM »
Just changed my 401k contribution percentage to max it out this year.  This is the first year I've ever maxed it out! Yay!

This follows our household net worth crossing into positive territory for the first time last month.
Feeling like these were two huge accomplishments !

Debshep2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #664 on: July 10, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »
Hello All
Thank you for being supportative.  I just arrived to this website 6 months ago and after setting a goal of eliminating all of my credit card and student loans, totalling $55,000.  I am proud to say that I am over 60% of the way there and have put over $35,000 dollars to debt.  My goal is by Feb 2015.  My student loan and 3 credit cards were eliminated.  I have only one credit card left to go.  I am cash/debt card only for the last 6 months which has been one of the biggest mind shifting tools to help me.

thanks for letting me share.  It is difficult to tell anybody else.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #665 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »
Hello All
Thank you for being supportative.  I just arrived to this website 6 months ago and after setting a goal of eliminating all of my credit card and student loans, totalling $55,000.  I am proud to say that I am over 60% of the way there and have put over $35,000 dollars to debt.  My goal is by Feb 2015.  My student loan and 3 credit cards were eliminated.  I have only one credit card left to go.  I am cash/debt card only for the last 6 months which has been one of the biggest mind shifting tools to help me.

Congrats Deb, that's great progress!  You'll be debt free before you know it, and then it's onto bigger and better goals!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #666 on: July 10, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »
Hello All

That is awesome work, Debshep2006!!  Must be great to see that debt number shrinking so significantly!

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #667 on: July 10, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
Guys, it's happening. My talk of saving and investing money is getting through to my husband.

My husband opened a Roth IRA with Vanguard yesterday, putting in the initial investment and set up monthly automatic investments! BUT IT GETS EVEN BETTER, he also signed up for the savings plan at his part time job (it's invested into a Target Retirement fund) because "I mind as well try to put away more, even if I don't make very much at this job."
Congrats! When my bf started a new job I asked to see in his log in what info there was on the 401k. I read about it and then went over it with him, he got excited with the 6% matching of various percentages. I think by this point he has gotten a free 1-2k from it all in the last year. He also started looking at some compound interest calculators and got excited about that. I wish I could get into the 15% off the company stock there  his work has going on.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: July 10, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »
I finally got a decent offer on the house I am selling! We have a signed contract and will close in a month. There was a competing contract at a much lower price that came in a little after. They just agreed to the higher price the current signed offer agreed to...in case stuff falls through before the closing.

So I'm feeling pretty good about this as I have a signed contract and a backup offer.

Once I sell this baby, I can pay off the existing mortgage, the HELOC I took out on the equity to buy my new place mortgage-free (thanks for the idea MMM!), and one step closer to the FIRE. Actually, one foot in FIRE Land and and the other foot in OMY City.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #669 on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:01 AM »
Congrats, Daisy!  Hope the sale goes through without a hitch!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #670 on: July 11, 2014, 07:07:58 AM »

I just did this today!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!! When I finished grad school and started my job in 2012 I had ~$70k in student loans. Really I should probably have been able to pay them off faster since I make really good money, but I am working on becoming more mustachian, and I'm just so glad they're done!! I can't wait to put my money to work in more efficient ways! (okay, and probably save up for a unmustachian-but-modest-by-normal-standards wedding)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #671 on: July 11, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »

I just did this today!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!! When I finished grad school and started my job in 2012 I had ~$70k in student loans. Really I should probably have been able to pay them off faster since I make really good money, but I am working on becoming more mustachian, and I'm just so glad they're done!! I can't wait to put my money to work in more efficient ways! (okay, and probably save up for a unmustachian-but-modest-by-normal-standards wedding)

Great job, rocks!!  Huge accomplishment!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: July 11, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
I logged into Mint today and saw that our net worth is over $200,000 (doesn't include house or vehicles). I knew it would happen with this paycheck, but it still feels good. Also, I threw an extra $3000 into Vanguard. :)

Nice milestone, karaishere!  I bet the next one will be easier and quicker!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #673 on: July 11, 2014, 11:08:33 AM »

Nice!  70k in two years is awesome.  :)

I logged into Mint today and saw that our net worth is over $200,000 (doesn't include house or vehicles). I knew it would happen with this paycheck, but it still feels good. Also, I threw an extra $3000 into Vanguard. :)

Congrats on being a seperlima-millionaire! (1/5th)  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #674 on: July 11, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
Congrats to all Celebrations Thread posters! I have finally had a significant financial change to post here, I am so excited:)

DH and I just closed on our third rental. This one was a big deal for us as it is a 4 plex. We now have 3 rentals, all multi's. Our NW is now just under 900k. I figure it will be next year before we will hit that first tier 1m.

Passive income pays all living and now some discretionary spending. 66% of our current cushy budget is paid for by our rental income. We started on our journey 3 years ago, We took most of the first year to learn and plan, but did make a purchase that December. Last year we acquired #2 in April. We were trying for #3 as early as last September, but boy is the market tough. We had a short sale go sour when the property was vandalized, I just knew as the months went by it was at risk of that... and wham, it happened, putting us back into shopping mode.

Our goal is 5k net rental income/mo. ok that is my conservative goal, DH is dreaming big and wants 10k. I don't want that much work, how is that retired living and it certainly isn't flying below the radar with that kind of cashflow. We should hit 5k in 2 ish more multi's. Depends on size/cost/mortgage interest etc. I don't think our monthly spend goal in FI will be much smaller than what we live on now. Because once I am no longer working for the man, we will have to cover medical costs, which will put us right back up to what we spend now -thank you ACA. I am still ok with that and feel we are on track for us to be fully retired by 50. DH retired in 2011 and he's the rental property investor, plotter and schemer. My role is to have us save, save, save every penny I earn for the next purchase. We are 46 now, so that's 4 years to hit our goal, I think it is reasonable and very achievable.

We live in a high COLA and I work in IT with a nice salary to support us as we transition to our new life... We have some major challenges we face but are working through them one issue at a time....

I feel like I just shouted that in all caps, thank you for reading:)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #675 on: July 12, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »
We had the house weatherproofed. When they came in and did the test (the one where they hook a fan up in the door and see how "air tight" your house is) we found out we were living in a sieve! So we paid for the weatherproofing and insulation, and we are hoping that we will be more comfortable from now on. I am not even that concerned with lowering the electricity/gas bill, I just want to be comfortable when I am using the heating/ac. Last year we could not even use the upper floor of the house in winter or summer. But since the good state of Maryland also gives us a tax break for increasing our energy efficiency, YAY for that.

Todd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #676 on: July 14, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »
In the past month, we have completely paid off two student loans ($26K).

A HUGE reason that we could do this is because we've been sitting on cash - (why, I don't know) - rather than flushing this student debt down the toilet.

After getting some empowerment from MMM, we pulled the trigger and made these awful debts disappear forever.

Thanks,

Todd

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #677 on: July 14, 2014, 07:36:07 PM »
Well, today was the day... I officially gave notice to my employer. My knees were weak and my heart pounding as I ascended the stairs to where my bosses reside in our office. I started with some lame small talk, but sensed I should just get on with it. I told them I was leaving the company. Everyone took it remarkably well. I think I had dropped enough hints over the years that it wasn't a big surprise. No attempts to convince me to stay. But there was the repeated, perplexed question: "What are you going to do all day?"

Whatever I want. Starting in 7 weeks, at 42 years old, I will become one of the FIRE'd. :)

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #678 on: July 14, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
Congrats Jon_Snow!!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #679 on: July 14, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
Great news, Jon_Snow!!  Huge congrats!!

And what WILL you do all day??  :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
Well, today was the day... I officially gave notice to my employer. My knees were weak and my heart pounding as I ascended the stairs to where my bosses reside in our office. I started with some lame small talk, but sensed I should just get on with it. I told them I was leaving the company. Everyone took it remarkably well. I think I had dropped enough hints over the years that it wasn't a big surprise. No attempts to convince me to stay. But there was the repeated, perplexed question: "What are you going to do all day?"

Whatever I want. Starting in 7 weeks, at 42 years old, I will become one of the FIRE'd. :)

THIS IS HUGE!! Congrats!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »
Congrats on being a seperlima-millionaire! (1/5th)  :D

now I'm also celebrating having learned a new word today! LOL.

and congrats to everyone else! zinethstache, sounds like you guys are doing awesome... so exciting!!! Jon_Snow, you've been talking about this for a while and it sounds like your ER lifestyle is going to be awesome, so pumped for you that you have pulled the trigger and put it in motion!!!!!! "what are you going to do all day"... bahahahaha.

you are all so motivational :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #682 on: July 14, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »
But there was the repeated, perplexed question: "What are you going to do all day?"

You will start your blog, of course! You'll have to somehow find time to squeeze in writing on your blog in between your amazing kayak excursions. Can't wait to read it!

Congrats!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #683 on: July 15, 2014, 04:30:20 PM »
Wow, thanks for the kind words and encouragement fellow Mustachians! Daisy, starting to jot ideas for my blog down on paper. Need to determine if my life is interesting enough to justify a blog. :)

Today was my first day back at work since informing the corporation of my imminent departure. Very odd to be on the job site - I feel as though I have already mentally checked out. Going to be the slowest 2 months of my life. And my leaving doesn't seem to made the rounds yet - but I know the avalanche of reaction and puzzlement is going to start very soon. Suggestions that I will be a "kept man" are really going to irritate me I suspect.

I was wondering this morning now that my FIRE'ism is close to a reality, would I be hanging around on these forums as much. After all, Mustachianism seems like to vehicle to GET FIRE'd. But having considered the question more, I think I will hang around here to ensure I STAY FIRE'd. Having to go back to work would be a real bummer. ;)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #684 on: July 16, 2014, 12:33:03 AM »
I was wondering this morning now that my FIRE'ism is close to a reality, would I be hanging around on these forums as much. After all, Mustachianism seems like to vehicle to GET FIRE'd. But having considered the question more, I think I will hang around here to ensure I STAY FIRE'd. Having to go back to work would be a real bummer. ;)

Please do -- I'd love to hear more about your experiences in the times to come and how they compare/contrast with FrankH, Nords, and others. Anyway, congrats on pulling the trigger!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #685 on: July 16, 2014, 12:40:18 PM »

Congratulations good sir.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #686 on: July 18, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Congratulations to everyone on this thread and especially Jon Snow!

Today I scheduled my last debt payment!  Yay!  No more debt!  :)

Now I will concentrate on building up a cash cushion, buy a laptop, and then it's all about investing.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #687 on: July 19, 2014, 01:54:58 AM »
Congrats Jon Snow! Loved your story.

Today, I figured out my tax budget for the year and how to maximize my situation! Whoot! Whoot!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #688 on: July 20, 2014, 02:12:46 AM »
This thread started when I posted in another poster's thread (Phoebe) about both of us reaching $300k at around the same time and ARS said ok lets have a sticky for everyone's achievements.

In honor of Phoebe and marty's accomplishments, I started a mini-celebrations thread here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/celebrations-thread/

I thought it was 2 years ago, but actually it wasn't, it was only 18 months. At the time I said to myself, ok, lets try and go up by $60k a year.

I think I just hit $500k last week! I wonder if Phoebe is still around? She must be close to $1m at the rate she was going....

Apartment: $495k
Loan less cash offset: ($80k)
Net shares: $35k
Super: $54k

Total $504k

wowee :0

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: July 21, 2014, 03:17:17 AM »
Congrats Marty. Thats a big goalpost down. Every year since I've been MMMing my NW increase has exceeded my projections. The hot RE market has helped again for the recent fin year. I think I like being conservative so I get more excited when I do better!
Phoebes not blogging ATM - last post in April. Not sure if she's still posting/reading.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #690 on: July 21, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
I just picked our first big lot of tomatoes. We've been getting a few for 6 weeks or more! but they are really starting to up yield.  It is a small thing, but it makes me feel happy and rich!

sekritdino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #691 on: July 21, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
Last month I paid off my ~$25,000 student loan after only 5 months! I did put a big work bonus toward it.

I have about $11,200 left on my other loan. The total for the two was about $37k. It's a lot, but definitely worth it, since I got it going back to school for a computer science degree and now I'm making about $115k per year, right out of college.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #692 on: July 28, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »
Put aside $100 a month out of my cash and surprised my hubby with $800 toward our summer vacation. Doing a combination of VRBO (2 nights) and staying at a relative's 2 bedroom condo in a large city while they are away! SCORE!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: July 29, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »
Am going to hit my 401k limit on my last paycheck this month! First but hopefully not last time doing this.

No more deductions but taxes and a nominal amount for my yearly purchase of 5 days vacation :D

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: August 01, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »
Perhaps a strange one, but I finished reading "The Four Pillars of Investing" and this weekend we are going to pull out all our accounts and start moving things around in our retirement funds to do proper asset allocation. We hadn't done too badly with diversification but now we'll be knowledgably badass.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #695 on: August 01, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »
Congratulations, Basenji.  Geting your investments allocated properly is something worth celebrating.  I know I felt really good after I got mine sorted out. Congrats!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #696 on: August 05, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »

Congrats!  What an awesome feeling.

This thread started when I posted in another poster's thread (Phoebe) about both of us reaching $300k at around the same time and ARS said ok lets have a sticky for everyone's achievements.

In honor of Phoebe and marty's accomplishments, I started a mini-celebrations thread here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/celebrations-thread/

I thought it was 2 years ago, but actually it wasn't, it was only 18 months. At the time I said to myself, ok, lets try and go up by $60k a year.

I think I just hit $500k last week! I wonder if Phoebe is still around? She must be close to $1m at the rate she was going....

Apartment: $495k
Loan less cash offset: ($80k)
Net shares: $35k
Super: $54k

Total $504k

wowee :0

Well done!  Semi-Millionaire is an awesome accomplishment.  :)

I too hope Phoebe is doing well.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #697 on: August 07, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »
I just got a job offer in London! That'll be a hit to the savings rate, but what a terrific opportunity!
Congrats!  Is that for after graduation?
if everything goes well it comes with a job offer at the end!
And so it did! I'll be starting my career in London, perhaps this time next year! Yesterday was a good day!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #698 on: August 08, 2014, 08:09:25 AM »
And so it did! I'll be starting my career in London, perhaps this time next year! Yesterday was a good day!

Whoo!  You must have impressed somebody.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #699 on: August 11, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »
I finally got a decent offer on the house I am selling! We have a signed contract and will close in a month. There was a competing contract at a much lower price that came in a little after. They just agreed to the higher price the current signed offer agreed to...in case stuff falls through before the closing.

So I'm feeling pretty good about this as I have a signed contract and a backup offer.

Once I sell this baby, I can pay off the existing mortgage, the HELOC I took out on the equity to buy my new place mortgage-free (thanks for the idea MMM!), and one step closer to the FIRE. Actually, one foot in FIRE Land and and the other foot in OMY City.

I feel a little weird quoting myself, but I wanted to post an update on the situation. My sale is closed and the keys have been turned over.

I AM MORTGAGE FREE!!! Yippee!!! I am so happy. The sky is the limit now. Bring on the super savings. Bring on the threats of layoffs. I've got FU money, am technically FI, and ready to face whatever life brings my way now.

Thanks to everyone on this forum and MMM for giving me the encouragement and the extra set of tools I needed to make this happen.