Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648228 times)

socalwkr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #600 on: June 10, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
Great to hear!  $90k in 18 months holy crap, nice job!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #601 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:32 AM »
Finished paying off my student loans this week (90k in 18months!) and opened my first Vanguard account. Super excited to see my 'stache start taking off :)

90K in 18 months, that's awesome.  Think about how quickly your stash will grow diverting those payments to investments instead!!!  Congrats!

that is AMAZING!! I should have my student loan celebration post coming up within the next month or so, but I will only have paid off $70k in 25 months... I thought I was awesome but you are blowing my mind!

congrats Jon_Snow on your impending retirement!!! super exciting!

and my own celebration for today... I just passed $50k net worth! HOLLA! a lot of it is due to an up market (almost $40k in my 401k) and the fact that my company's stock is also on the up (a few k in ESPP) but still! I love that we have this board where we can tell people exciting things that we can't really tell people in our real lives :)

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #602 on: June 14, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
We've had a busy month for Ohana Nords:
  • Our daughter graduated from college on her Navy ROTC scholarship, commissioned as an ensign, and joined the surface warfare community (nuclear training to follow in two years).  She raced out of Houston to report aboard her first ship in Norfolk and has just finished the transit across the Atlantic to their new homeport in Rota, Spain.  It turned out that the Navy pays part of their nuclear bonus money up front, so she's going to have no trouble maximizing her contributions to her Thrift Savings Plan and her Roth IRA.  We're pretty sure that we've launched this one from the nest with no boomerangs.
  • My spouse and I spent most of a year planning for the college graduation/commissioning week.  You parents know what I'm talking about-- it's not the actual event but rather it's dealing with the logistics & personalities.  After weeks of researching, planning, rehearsing, and exploring the contingencies we were able to sit back on our assets and enjoy quality family time. 
  • As an added extra bonus, spouse's parents were not able to make the trip.  The graduation ceremony was streamed live on the Internet so they were happy.  Spouse and I weren't dealing with difficult people all week long so we were very happy.
  • We just packed out our daughter's possessions from our house.  (The military gives recruits a free household goods shipment from their home of record.)  Four crates left the premises:  two bedrooms, half of the kitchen, and several other pieces of furniture.  We've also emptied our study of its furniture so we'll be spending the next few weeks on three rooms' worth of painting, electrical upgrades, recarpeting, and refurnishing (Craigslist).  I'm liking this empty-nester lifestyle.
  • Neighborhood love:  a half-dozen of our neighbors stopped by during the packout to exclaim "OMG please tell us you're not moving!!!"  It's nice to know that you're appreciated...
  • The USAA article appears to have driven a number of new readers to the blog.  My Twitter followers jumped 5% last week, Facebook "Likes" are up, and blog unique visits are rising.    There's even a little bump in book sales.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:51:13 PM by Nords »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #603 on: June 14, 2014, 08:17:23 PM »
  • As an added extra bonus, spouse's parents were not able to make the trip.  The graduation ceremony was streamed live on the Internet so they were happy.  Spouse and I weren't dealing with difficult people all week long so we were very happy.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jordanread

« Reply #604 on: June 15, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
Took my GF on the hardest ride she's had yet, and she did awesome!! 20 extremely hilly miles at night. New top speed record down hill for her too.

A bonus, she used bikebum as something that happens the day after a long ride. :-P

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #605 on: June 15, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
Successfully taught GF how to drive standard today.  She's finally able to do it on public roads in actual traffic.  That should add up to thousands saved over our lifetimes.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #606 on: June 17, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »
Last month our energy bill was 805 ringgit or USD $251!  We all studied the bill and decided on a plan: install window screens, buy fans and strategically position near windows, and turn off the air conditioning for good. 

You know who kept us on track when going to bed in 32degC/90degF heat?  Our 8 year old son.  He'd say, "No dad you CAN'T turn on the air conditioning, what about the power bill?" 

On a few nights my husband still squeezed in some air con on the sly for a few hours at a time when it was unbearable.  When we had friends over for a homemade pizza dinner (byo topping), we turned the air con on as well.  Other than that, we went air-con free. 

The latest energy bill arrived last week.  After looking at the bill, we took our son out to a Burger King (his favorite) to celebrate and shower high praise and plentiful compliments upon him for his inspiring leadership:  our latest bill was RM344 ($107).

We still have work to do - can install more screens and a few more fans.  But ... progress not perfection right?

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #607 on: June 18, 2014, 02:50:21 AM »
I found out today that my Student Financial Supplement Scheme debt (an addition to HECS) will be paid off this month. That there will be 3% of my gross pay going in to my pocket instead of to the ATO from July onwards.
I also got to ride in the glass elevators in the new BHP building today - it was as awesome as it looks from the outside - so I can cross that off my bucket list too :)

Lifestyle Deflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #608 on: June 18, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »
Small celebration for me, my investments went over $50,000 today thanks to the market climb. Can't wait for $100k, 200k, etc.

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #609 on: June 18, 2014, 10:21:40 PM »
My final payment to my student loan was this month (170$) It is great to have no more debt. I like seeing the 150$ freed up, although now it is going toward my new medical insurance, which overall my budget is just getting bumped up a little without the debt payment.

MrsSmitty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #610 on: June 19, 2014, 07:58:11 AM »
I got married on June 7th and just calculated our now combined household net worth. $259K! Great way to start our new life together!

CatM13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #611 on: June 19, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »
I official only have the mortgage left to pay for! Paid all of our other outstanding debt off this week. :)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: June 19, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
I got married on June 7th and just calculated our now combined household net worth. $259K! Great way to start our new life together!

I went from $15,000 to $100,000+ net worth the day I got married. It's a good ploy.  :)

I am so happy to read these posts where MMMers are knocking out that student debt. Ugh that stuff would scare the crap outta me, good for you guys for staring it down and beating it!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #613 on: June 19, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »
I official only have the mortgage left to pay for! Paid all of our other outstanding debt off this week. :)

Whoo!  Debt free is awesome.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #614 on: June 19, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »

I went from $15,000 to $100,000+ net worth the day I got married. It's a good ploy.  :)

I am so happy to read these posts where MMMers are knocking out that student debt. Ugh that stuff would scare the crap outta me, good for you guys for staring it down and beating it!

My per-capita net worth was just cut in half :-(  But just crossed a multiple of $100k, so I've got that going for me, which is nice!

jordanread

« Reply #615 on: June 20, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »
It's happening. Slowly but surely, without very much pressure at all from me. My SO is becoming a Mustachian...all on her own (kind of).

Today she asked me what I thought about getting a clothesline so we don't use the dryer. It's only to off-set the cost of the A/C (which I still haven't installed this year) she said. When I discussed it last year, she kind of dismissed it. *big dopey grin*

A few weeks back I told her about Ottawa's (I think)  thread on Mustachian Saturdays, and how cool it was he made his own sunscreen and chap stick. She didn't seem that interested, and didn't even read the thread. This afternoon, she mentions that she was looking at ways to make our own lotion.

This is happening. I think I got her finally to believe that we're only a few years away. YES!!!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #616 on: June 20, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
It's happening. Slowly but surely, without very much pressure at all from me. My SO is becoming a Mustachian...all on her own (kind of).

Today she asked me what I thought about getting a clothesline so we don't use the dryer. It's only to off-set the cost of the A/C (which I still haven't installed this year) she said. When I discussed it last year, she kind of dismissed it. *big dopey grin*

A few weeks back I told her about Ottawa's (I think)  thread on Mustachian Saturdays, and how cool it was he made his own sunscreen and chap stick. She didn't seem that interested, and didn't even read the thread. This afternoon, she mentions that she was looking at ways to make our own lotion.

This is happening. I think I got her finally to believe that we're only a few years away. YES!!!!

Nice!  That's so huge.  Two people working together make such rapid progress.

jordanread

« Reply #617 on: June 20, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »

Nice!  That's so huge.  Two people working together make such rapid progress.

Ain't that the truth. That was one of the secrets to getting her on board with the whole FIRE thing. I initially said I only needed to work until I was 36, and she could retire next year. She looked at the numbers, and started to realize I wasn't just giving her shit. Then she started thinking about retirement. Decided she'd get bored and will continue to work until we can both retire. Brought it down by 1.5 years. And that's not including cutting anything extra, like she has been doing! I'm so freaking stoked!!

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #618 on: June 20, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
Last month our energy bill was 805 ringgit or USD $251!  We all studied the bill and decided on a plan: install window screens, buy fans and strategically position near windows, and turn off the air conditioning for good. 

You know who kept us on track when going to bed in 32degC/90degF heat?  Our 8 year old son.  He'd say, "No dad you CAN'T turn on the air conditioning, what about the power bill?" 

On a few nights my husband still squeezed in some air con on the sly for a few hours at a time when it was unbearable.  When we had friends over for a homemade pizza dinner (byo topping), we turned the air con on as well.  Other than that, we went air-con free. 

The latest energy bill arrived last week.  After looking at the bill, we took our son out to a Burger King (his favorite) to celebrate and shower high praise and plentiful compliments upon him for his inspiring leadership:  our latest bill was RM344 ($107).

We still have work to do - can install more screens and a few more fans.  But ... progress not perfection right?

Love this story, your son sounds awesome!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #619 on: June 21, 2014, 03:05:33 AM »
I got a bike! I'm pushing 50 and I felt like a 10 year old zipping around on the silly thing! Thanks, MMM!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #620 on: June 22, 2014, 06:46:02 AM »
^congrats!  Zero debt is a big milestone!

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #621 on: June 22, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »
Congrats on being debt-free! That is awesome :D

My 401k broke $5k today and it was barely over $1k at the start of the year. :D

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #622 on: June 25, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
A fellow co worker tested the waters of bike commuting earlier this week (3 mi each way) and plans to do so again tomorrow.  Yet another co worker is buying a used bike, having found a less hilly method than her current car/walk commute.  We are a small office, so this is huge!

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #623 on: June 25, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
I did my first bus/bike combo commute. After too many excuses, one of our cars broke down and I bit the bullet. I won't be doing full bike yet (it's 12 miles each way), but the bus is free, and the biking is nice. In a few weeks, I suspect I'll get my biking muscles up to snuff enough to go the whole way. Makes me feel like I need to get a nice used road bike though....

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #624 on: June 25, 2014, 02:30:13 PM »
Damn - free bus rides. That's awesome

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #625 on: June 25, 2014, 04:34:30 PM »
Damn - free bus rides. That's awesome

The secret is to marry someone who works for the bus company...gotta love those non-traditional benefits.

OptimizeOptimism

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #626 on: June 25, 2014, 11:07:28 PM »
Today was Bike to Work Day in my area. Took that as a sign to finally tackle my commute. It's now 11 pm and I'm laying on the couch wondering when my sitbones will stop aching but very very proud of myself.

I love reading everyone else's accomplishments too! It makes me feel like celebrating just for finding such an inspiring community of people!

inmotion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #627 on: June 26, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
Great successes!! Fun to read!

About to cross the 9000k mark on my commuter bike... at 41 it feels good to be able to ride hard still and enjoy every minute of it!

Have a great Thursday!

IM

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #628 on: June 26, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
I got an unexpected 5.5% raise this week.  This was after an unusually large year end raise of 6%.  That's the biggest yearly increase I've ever gotten without switching jobs.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #629 on: June 26, 2014, 11:48:12 PM »
I got an unexpected 5.5% raise this week.  This was after an unusually large year end raise of 6%.  That's the biggest yearly increase I've ever gotten without switching jobs.

Wow, double digit increase in one year, well done!  They must like you.  :)

Mr Dumpster Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #630 on: June 27, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
I rode my bike to work every day this week!

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #631 on: June 27, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »
I renewed my PE license this month and when I got my updated certificate I noticed that it expires 6/30/2016. By that point, I should be FI, possibly RE and I will have to decide whether to keep it current or not.

jordanread

« Reply #632 on: June 27, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
I rode my bike to work every day this week!

Way to go!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: June 28, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »
Hubs got a bonus at work! wahoo!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #634 on: June 29, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
Our January to June spending was about 25% lower this year than last year.

Nice!

Now the fun part: calculate how big your stache would have had to be for the old spending level (25 times your Jan-June 2013 spending x 2, since it's only six months versus 25 times this year's Jan-June 2014 spending x 2) and see how much less money you need saved to support your new spending.  Then calculate how many YEARS of work you saved by not needing to build up that unnecessary money.  :D

jordanread

« Reply #635 on: June 30, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »
Guys, it's happening. My talk of saving and investing money is getting through to my husband.

My husband opened a Roth IRA with Vanguard yesterday, putting in the initial investment and set up monthly automatic investments! BUT IT GETS EVEN BETTER, he also signed up for the savings plan at his part time job (it's invested into a Target Retirement fund) because "I mind as well try to put away more, even if I don't make very much at this job."

I love hearing things like this. I'm going through the same thing with my SO, and it's awesome as they get on board.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #636 on: June 30, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »
Congratulations to everyone Upthread!
  Items I am celebrating:
- earlier this year I became debt-free
- in April, I started a personal Vanguard account to stop sitting on cash and start investing (besides the work 401K, CDs, etc.)
- I just started a Roth IRA on Vanguard -- I had always believed that our AGI was too high, either the limit moved up (possible), or I could have done this earlier and didn't (stupid/stupid/stupid)
- I am ALMOST to $1MM in investments & cash (not including the house, which honestly isn't worth that much...) -- about another $75K to go.... I hope to post a celebration at meeting the million level by the end of 2014!
- earlier this year I started recording all my spending
- I also have a "work days" remaining countdown file for my current job I will retire from in April 2015 (a promise to myself that I will leave that job!)

so.mpls

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #637 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »
I got a raise at work today.  Not a huge bump, but I've only been for 6 months and wasn't expecting anything.  Either way, $70 more per month for the 'stache and a few months closer to ER!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #638 on: July 01, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
Celebrating a few things that happened in June:

--Maxed out Roth IRA for the first time ever
--Sold my car and put the $3k directly towards savings
--Got emergency fund up to 6 months of expenses
--Increased my work-retirement contributions to 20% (up from 10%)

It is amazing what I've been able to do now that I'm debt free!

Oh, and my investment numbers are just shy of $50,000. Two years ago at this time I had that much in DEBT. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #639 on: July 01, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »

Oh, and my investment numbers are just shy of $50,000. Two years ago at this time I had that much in DEBT. :)

That's quite the two year turn-around, and the fact that you're still making progress as evidenced by your awesome June is amazing.  Way to go!  :)

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #640 on: July 01, 2014, 02:07:20 PM »

That's quite the two year turn-around, and the fact that you're still making progress as evidenced by your awesome June is amazing.  Way to go!  :)

Thanks! Seeing the progress is half the fun, too!

JD_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #641 on: July 02, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »
I got a 5.9% raise at work :)

I was expecting 3%.  It's not huge, but I'm happy.  Now the fun part of deciding how to use it (extra mortgage payment, 401k, or Roth IRA).

Great topic, lots of good reads in this thread.

-JD

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #642 on: July 02, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »

I was expecting 3%.  It's not huge, but I'm happy.  Now the fun part of deciding how to use it (extra mortgage payment, 401k, or Roth IRA).

-JD

Congrats! I'm waiting to hear what kind of raise I'm getting and I'd be pretty happy with 5.9%.

JD_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #643 on: July 02, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »
Thanks! I hope you get some good news soon.

JD

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #644 on: July 02, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »

-JD

Congratulations! I think that is way above average - my work has just been keeping up with ~ COL.  You are rocking' it!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: July 03, 2014, 06:44:14 AM »
Just updated the spreadsheets.

In the past 9.5 months, my Net Worth has increased by $104,764.99.

And my Net Worth has, for the first time, surpassed $400,000.

$400,879.11 to be exact!!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #646 on: July 03, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »

WOW!  Excellent! That is amazing - congratulations.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #647 on: July 03, 2014, 10:05:43 PM »

Well that's a stunning set of figures.  I just got on here to celebrate that I biked my first trip to a social gathering today.  7 miles round-trip.  Riding back on the city streets was amazing - almost no cars.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #648 on: July 05, 2014, 07:40:37 PM »
Woo hooo!! I just sent the final payment to my student loan!!! Now I get to decide what to do with all the extra money I'm going to have to play with when I NEVER HAVE TO PAY MY LOANS AGAIN!!! The loan has been a part of my entire adult life up until now, it will almost feel strange to make a budget without a line for my loan!!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #649 on: July 05, 2014, 10:31:44 PM »
Woo hooo!! I just sent the final payment to my student loan!!! Now I get to decide what to do with all the extra money I'm going to have to play with when I NEVER HAVE TO PAY MY LOANS AGAIN!!! The loan has been a part of my entire adult life up until now, it will almost feel strange to make a budget without a line for my loan!!
That is a major accomplishment, good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!