Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648285 times)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #2200 on: February 11, 2021, 05:18:24 PM »
I'm also excited because this year I'm going to get to max out my 401k!  I've had it all planned out in my budgeting spreadsheet with expected raises, etc., for a few years, and I'm super excited to finally be here :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2201 on: February 17, 2021, 08:05:09 AM »
I accepted a job offer!!!! Whoo! My commute is going to drop significantly. It's less money (different field, different pay range), but I'm really excited for the work itself. The people so far seem great. And I will be getting out of my dysfunctional current employer :)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2202 on: February 17, 2021, 09:05:08 AM »
I accepted a job offer!!!! Whoo! My commute is going to drop significantly. It's less money (different field, different pay range), but I'm really excited for the work itself. The people so far seem great. And I will be getting out of my dysfunctional current employer :)
Congrats. Sounds like a good improvement in the day-to-day!

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #2203 on: February 17, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »
I'm also excited because this year I'm going to get to max out my 401k!  I've had it all planned out in my budgeting spreadsheet with expected raises, etc., for a few years, and I'm super excited to finally be here :)

That is exciting!  Good work!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2204 on: February 18, 2021, 03:28:09 PM »

Just gave notice!!!! :) I'm out 3/5, then start new job 4/5. Have to help parents move in there, but otherwise I'm getting a nice break.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2205 on: February 20, 2021, 05:14:34 AM »
2020 is the first year I’ve fully funded an IRA!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2206 on: February 20, 2021, 05:40:43 AM »
Congrats @Sibley and @MudPuppy !  Lots to celebrate.

stealthwealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2207 on: June 04, 2021, 02:37:55 PM »
My hh net worth is around 1.8M after the crazy coronavirus stock market.  I'm still employed, but I like my employer and coworkers well enough.  I think I will probably quit if I hit the 2.5M zone, assuming there isn't stupid inflation.  It's been a wild and crazy year.  Glta.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2208 on: June 04, 2021, 03:26:32 PM »
I celebrated my 3rd full year of retirement last weekend.    It's been wonderful.

"I recommend it to everyone..."

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2209 on: June 04, 2021, 05:55:39 PM »
I celebrated my 3rd full year of retirement last weekend.    It's been wonderful.

Nice @SwordGuy !!!  :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2210 on: June 05, 2021, 06:12:32 AM »

I'm well into Year 9 and here to attest that the feeling doesn't wear off. Even when things aren't wonderful, the being retired part still is. Congratulations, SG!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2211 on: June 06, 2021, 11:10:05 PM »

I'm well into Year 9 and here to attest that the feeling doesn't wear off. Even when things aren't wonderful, the being retired part still is. Congratulations, SG!

That’s excellent news! Congratulations to both of you. I’m only 6 weeks in but I already can’t figure out how I had time work...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2212 on: June 09, 2021, 07:52:41 PM »
Parents have an accepted offer on a house. Close 6/30. The house needs work, so they won't be moving immediately, but still. They have a house. Hallelujah.

I will get them out of my house!!!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2213 on: June 10, 2021, 08:31:56 AM »
Parents have an accepted offer on a house. Close 6/30. The house needs work, so they won't be moving immediately, but still. They have a house. Hallelujah.

Congrats to them! (and you too!)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2214 on: June 16, 2021, 02:01:07 PM »
I got my calculator out today: Based on prior year spending and with new projected expenses as a renter, I will be FI as soon as my house sale closes next week!!!! Tentative plan is to RE or at least do a mini-retirement in December when my contract ends.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2215 on: June 16, 2021, 02:35:08 PM »
I got my calculator out today: Based on prior year spending and with new projected expenses as a renter, I will be FI as soon as my house sale closes next week!!!! Tentative plan is to RE or at least do a mini-retirement in December when my contract ends.

That's a great surprise. 

Let the folks in the "2021 FIRE Cohort" thread know to put you on the 2021 list. 

countdown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2216 on: June 19, 2021, 04:21:11 PM »
I had a hiatus from stache building from 2016 - 2019 due to family crises and shift in priorities. I was basically following a glide path strategy in what was supposed to be a low stress job and bucolic area. Well, it turns out that every job is stressful and living in a small town didn't work for us. After switching back to a high paid job in a metro area, last year we paid off the car and maxed retirement plans again for the first time since 2015. This year, we finally started 529 plans and are maxing retirement plans again. I hit a quarter million in investments for the first last week, not counting vested pension, non vested pension or home equity. Before moving and going glide path, I was set to FIRE next year in 2022. Now, I'm 6 yrs out, but we're on track, are in a school district that is great for my neurodiverse kiddo, and I'm fairly happy at my job. Lot's to celebrate!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2217 on: June 21, 2021, 03:26:40 PM »
I had a hiatus from stache building from 2016 - 2019 due to family crises and shift in priorities. I was basically following a glide path strategy in what was supposed to be a low stress job and bucolic area. Well, it turns out that every job is stressful and living in a small town didn't work for us. After switching back to a high paid job in a metro area, last year we paid off the car and maxed retirement plans again for the first time since 2015. This year, we finally started 529 plans and are maxing retirement plans again. I hit a quarter million in investments for the first last week, not counting vested pension, non vested pension or home equity. Before moving and going glide path, I was set to FIRE next year in 2022. Now, I'm 6 yrs out, but we're on track, are in a school district that is great for my neurodiverse kiddo, and I'm fairly happy at my job. Lot's to celebrate!

This is worth a million bucks in and of itself.  Congrats on being back where you're happy and back on track!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2218 on: June 25, 2021, 01:25:41 PM »

Been there, done that.  My sincerest congratulations on surviving living with parents and not having it damage your relationship for at least awhile.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2219 on: June 28, 2021, 11:10:25 AM »
It is a relatively routine milestone, but I turned over the odometer on my investment accounts, so to speak, at the end of last week. It is satisfying to see that leftmost digit change. It also has me on track to reach FI a few  years ahead of schedule and it is starting to get close enough to seem real instead of a far-distant goal. This is the result of both being pretty lucky in life and years of consistent investing and mustachianism. I feel very grateful and this group has been a big part of keeping me on target and consistent.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2220 on: June 28, 2021, 11:22:01 AM »
It is a relatively routine milestone, but I turned over the odometer on my investment accounts, so to speak, at the end of last week. It is satisfying to see that leftmost digit change. It also has me on track to reach FI a few  years ahead of schedule and it is starting to get close enough to seem real instead of a far-distant goal. This is the result of both being pretty lucky in life and years of consistent investing and mustachianism. I feel very grateful and this group has been a big part of keeping me on target and consistent.

Exactly the circumstances how most who have reached or will reach the FIRE goal got there!    Luck and smart, hard work and savings.
The luck might just be "We are healthy and no one injured us." but people who can't say that know how very important that much luck is.

Congrats to you on your smart, hard work and your consistent savings!

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2221 on: August 16, 2021, 07:47:36 AM »
I had a mini-goal of reaching $500K in my 401K before my 30th birthday.  I wasn't really tracking it but my brain just subconsciously likes all the nice round numbers.
Well, after this most recent paycheck, I am at just over $500K just two months before my 30th birthday and I am absolutely tickled about it :)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2222 on: August 16, 2021, 11:30:53 AM »
I had a mini-goal of reaching $500K in my 401K before my 30th birthday.  I wasn't really tracking it but my brain just subconsciously likes all the nice round numbers.
Well, after this most recent paycheck, I am at just over $500K just two months before my 30th birthday and I am absolutely tickled about it :)

Congrats.  You'll be shocked how fast it goes after this (unless the market doesn't do well in which case you'll be buying a lot of shares on sale.)

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #2223 on: August 17, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »

That is great progress!  Congratulations!

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2224 on: August 18, 2021, 05:38:42 PM »
This is not financial but after a big fancy MRI this morning, my 5yo has been cleared of “concern for soft-tissue mass” (rare pediatric tumor) and just needs to see a rheumatologist.

I am giddy with a relief after a week of “scanxiety” following our ortho consult, and feeling extremely delighted by evidence-based American medicine right at the moment. 

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #2225 on: August 18, 2021, 05:47:25 PM »
This is not financial but after a big fancy MRI this morning, my 5yo has been cleared of “concern for soft-tissue mass” (rare pediatric tumor) and just needs to see a rheumatologist.

I am giddy with a relief after a week of “scanxiety” following our ortho consult, and feeling extremely delighted by evidence-based American medicine right at the moment.

Oh this is such good news! Yay for your baby and for you!

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #2226 on: August 18, 2021, 05:52:39 PM »
Got a bigger than expected yearly bonus. Or at least, bigger than I had dared expecting in my magical FI spreadsheet (a few thousands more). Also got a ridiculously low merit increase, but OH WELL.

I'LL TAKE IT AND WATCH MY STASH GROW AND GLOW!

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2227 on: August 18, 2021, 06:01:23 PM »
Got a bigger than expected yearly bonus. Or at least, bigger than I had dared expecting in my magical FI spreadsheet (a few thousands more). Also got a ridiculously low merit increase, but OH WELL.

I'LL TAKE IT AND WATCH MY STASH GROW AND GLOW!
Yaaay! Big leaps toward freeeeeedooommm!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #2228 on: September 01, 2021, 01:11:50 PM »
My company just announced an extra bonus because of high profits.  All full-time employees are getting $10k.  Great for me, but I'm mostly thrilled about all my coworkers who make $15-$17/hour, where this represents a huge increase in their yearly income.  I think it's going to make a lot of families more comfortable this winter!

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2229 on: September 01, 2021, 02:20:56 PM »
My company just announced an extra bonus because of high profits.  All full-time employees are getting $10k.  Great for me, but I'm mostly thrilled about all my coworkers who make $15-$17/hour, where this represents a huge increase in their yearly income.  I think it's going to make a lot of families more comfortable this winter!
That’s wonderful!! Good job, company.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2230 on: September 02, 2021, 06:03:12 PM »
My parents moved out of my house and into their new house today. YAY!!!!! I have my house back! (mom has been driving me batty)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2231 on: September 02, 2021, 07:44:15 PM »
My parents moved out of my house and into their new house today. YAY!!!!! I have my house back! (mom has been driving me batty)

Congratulations! As someone who had their in laws stay for 1.5 years, you have my sympathy and sincere felicitations!!

ColonelPotter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2232 on: November 03, 2021, 08:12:57 PM »
Just got my first comma in my 401k.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2233 on: November 03, 2021, 11:23:36 PM »

You've got the snowball rolling.   It will probably accelerate faster than you expect. 

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #2234 on: November 09, 2021, 08:32:42 AM »

You've got the snowball rolling.   It will probably accelerate faster than you expect.

Absolutely.  Way to go, ColonelPotter!  This is how it begins.  I've found the most important things are consistently, automatically contributing, and letting it stay put.  Next thing you know, you've doubled, then doubled again, and so on.  It's amazing once you start seeing it.

EarlyInJourney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2235 on: November 12, 2021, 01:47:47 PM »
I just got the following notification from FedLoan, who services my grad school loans:

Congratulations! On Oct. 6, 2021, the Department of Education announced a change to the Public Service Loan
Forgiveness (PSLF) program rules for a limited time that allows you to get credit for payments you've made on loans that
wouldn't normally qualify for PSLF. As a result of this limited PSLF waiver (StudentAid.gov/pslfwaiver), we conducted
another review of your Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) & Temporary Expanded PSLF (TEPSLF) Certification &
Application (PSLF Form) and payment history. We have determined that you have successfully made the required 120
monthly payments in order to have all or a portion of your loans listed below forgiven.

It's not every day your net worth goes up by $52K (the amount forgiven)!  Also surreal that this is the first time that I've been debt-free since I was 17 years old...

Well, I think my wife and I might have to indulge in a (light) facepunch-worthy celebration this weekend... I'm thinking sushi!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2236 on: November 12, 2021, 03:46:14 PM »
I just got the following notification from FedLoan, who services my grad school loans:

Congratulations! On Oct. 6, 2021, the Department of Education announced a change to the Public Service Loan
Forgiveness (PSLF) program rules for a limited time that allows you to get credit for payments you've made on loans that
wouldn't normally qualify for PSLF. As a result of this limited PSLF waiver (StudentAid.gov/pslfwaiver), we conducted
another review of your Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) & Temporary Expanded PSLF (TEPSLF) Certification &
Application (PSLF Form) and payment history. We have determined that you have successfully made the required 120
monthly payments in order to have all or a portion of your loans listed below forgiven.

It's not every day your net worth goes up by $52K (the amount forgiven)!  Also surreal that this is the first time that I've been debt-free since I was 17 years old...

Well, I think my wife and I might have to indulge in a (light) facepunch-worthy celebration this weekend... I'm thinking sushi!

Holy shit @EarlyInJourney!  That is huge!   Massive congratulations!!!  Activate that celebration mode and have a good time.   

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #2237 on: November 14, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »

Fantastic news!!!  Go get yourself something special at the sushi place (or again, if you already have!).  If you can't have little celebrations occasionally for symbolic victories, the long slog feels a lot longer.  No guilt (this time).

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2238 on: November 14, 2021, 12:22:48 PM »
Fantastic news, @EarlyInJourney! Makes me want to check in with some other recent PhD grads. Did you have to request forgiveness or was it a total surprise? (which would be even more awesome!)

EarlyInJourney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2239 on: November 15, 2021, 03:24:34 PM »
Thanks for celebrating with me, y'all!

@monarda - I did apply for the forgiveness about a month ago, and was expecting it, but I thought it would be a much longer, drawn-out process.  I am pleasantly surprised by the (relative) speed!

A little background - I'm not sure exactly how the "limited PSLF waiver" played into this - I consolidated everything I could into a qualifying fed loan 10+ years ago, and did make 120 qualifying payments over that time, just finishing up in October, so it wasn't a surprise.  I guess the waiver counted some earlier payments I had made before consolidating, and I qualified that way???  I'm not nitpicking - forgiven is forgiven is forgiven.  And yes, the sushi tasted especially good!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2240 on: November 27, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »
This is dumb, really dumb, but damnit it took 5 hours and 3 people so I'm celebrating.

The weather stripping on my 2 exterior doors is replaced! (We had to juryrig to actually get a decent airseal, but we did it.)

People, if you're going to DIY, please do it right so that it's not necessary to juryrig the damn weather stripping.

CTEC_Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2241 on: December 14, 2021, 07:49:47 AM »
I have spent the last four years in grad school, the first two in a Master's program and the last two in a post-bacc non degree seeking licensure program. I just got hired with my current employer for a new job with the new license and I am completing the program officially on Thursday. It has been a lot of work, but it has all been worth it as the new job comes with a 20%+ pay increase!

Help me celebrate!

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2242 on: December 14, 2021, 09:04:17 AM »
I have spent the last four years in grad school, the first two in a Master's program and the last two in a post-bacc non degree seeking licensure program. I just got hired with my current employer for a new job with the new license and I am completing the program officially on Thursday. It has been a lot of work, but it has all been worth it as the new job comes with a 20%+ pay increase!

Help me celebrate!

Whooooooooo congratulations!! Here's to a new job, no official schooling (at least for a while), and a nice raise!

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #2243 on: December 14, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »

Help me celebrate!

Whooooooooo congratulations!! Here's to a new job, no official schooling (at least for a while), and a nice raise!

WooHoo!!!!  Congratulations!!!!

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2244 on: January 12, 2022, 12:17:33 PM »
Secured a nice bonus for 2021. Topped off my 401(k) contribution for the year and threw the rest at my student loans. Proud of myself for taking the Mustachian approach.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #2245 on: January 28, 2022, 01:24:36 PM »
My fiancé refinanced his mortgage (finally) and signed the papers this morning.  Hooray for more than halving the interest rate!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2246 on: January 28, 2022, 01:49:01 PM »
Secured a nice bonus for 2021. Topped off my 401(k) contribution for the year and threw the rest at my student loans. Proud of myself for taking the Mustachian approach.

Sweet!  Nice job

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2247 on: January 28, 2022, 01:49:43 PM »
My fiancé refinanced his mortgage (finally) and signed the papers this morning.  Hooray for more than halving the interest rate!

Excellent!  That will save you some dollars.  Congrats!

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #2248 on: April 07, 2022, 05:21:18 PM »
I paid off my car loan today.

OK so I know, I know, car loans are bad. This one was even worse -

- Bought a brand new car at the end of January 2020. Yep. Followed by a month of international travel, and immediately after that... 2 years of lockdowns. I think my brand new baby has about 2,500 miles on it lol. If you want advice on how to perfectly time your bad financial decisions, ask me!

- Traded my previous car in, which wasn't very old (8 years) and working just fine. Could have sold it for a couple $k more, too.

- So WTF did I need a new car for, uh? I didn't. I wanted one with all the security bells and whistles and bluetooth and Apple Car.

- I totally could have paid cash. I financed about 2/3 of the total price because (1) I didn't want to pull more money out of my index funds, and (2) I wanted to improve my credit score.

Shoot me all of your face punches, people, I deserve them.

So, while I have zero regrets (I really love my car and I stand by my reasons to finance it at the time - I made more in the market in those 2 years than I paid interest, even though I lost more in opportunity cost.), this thing was rubbing me the wrong way. As much as I can rationalize it, I don't like having debts.

Yesterday I TLH'd my bond fund, and was wondering what the heck to do with that money. Buy another bond fund now? keep it in cash for a while? Buy stocks to keep bonds in my 401(k) and nowhere else?

That's when I decided to finally scratch the itch and get rid of the loan, halfway through its life. Only needed to withdraw about $5k from that pool of cash. Figured it was worth it - not to mention, the loan was 3.35% and it's going to be a good while until bonds start yielding that again.

Small celebration, but BOY does it feel good. You know, like that itch in your back that you FINALLY managed to scratch.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2249 on: April 28, 2022, 05:14:37 PM »
My partner and I have managed to save a house down payment well before our timeline (we're not ready to buy until next year for non-financial reasons).