Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648429 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #2000 on: January 02, 2020, 09:45:52 AM »
Last month, we passed $1M in invested assets (combination of 401k, Roth, HSA and taxable accounts), picked up our second comma!

We also have $220k of shares in a small privately held commercial REIT (two strip malls) that have yielded about $20-26k/year for the last 4-5 years, paying our mortgage and then some. So our overall net worth has been over 1M for while, but it’s still gratifying to see.

We think we’ll get another $2-300k until trying to pay down the mortgage ($116k), with goal of Fat FI(+-ER) at $2M in 7ish years. I could see myself not doing RE for awhile, as I get fulfilled from my job, but who knows how I’ll be then. Maybe drop down to part time. I really feel like we’re getting momentum! Thanks for being the people who understand this stuff.

It's amazing, isn't it? We're in the same speedboat.  I got a promotion, and we sold our rental house for a handsome profit.  It really is unbelievable to watch the snowball just keep speeding up. 

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #2001 on: January 02, 2020, 03:11:38 PM »
Ran our numbers today to wrap up 2019 and we crossed over $1M invested due to the market run up in December and I didn't even notice it until now.

I know it's just a number and doesn't change anything, but it feels more "real" than having $1M total (liquid + home equity). I'm sure the market will take a downturn and we'll dip back under at some point, but we'll just keep adding more to our stash until we reach our goal.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2002 on: January 02, 2020, 03:42:22 PM »
Ran our numbers today to wrap up 2019 and we crossed over $1M invested due to the market run up in December and I didn't even notice it until now.

I know it's just a number and doesn't change anything, but it feels more "real" than having $1M total (liquid + home equity). I'm sure the market will take a downturn and we'll dip back under at some point, but we'll just keep adding more to our stash until we reach our goal.

We hit it a couple years ago, and it still doesn't feel real to me.  The huge market run-up also feels a little like cheating, but we're getting to the point where it would take a pretty big dip to put us back under. 

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2003 on: January 06, 2020, 07:54:46 AM »
Got my biopsy back from lymph nodes this week. No cancer! 6 weeks off paid disability leave to recover and 2 extra months FMLA for good measure. For all the ladies out there - schedule those mammograms, and don’t skimp there. Cancer treatments are expensive without insurance. My bill so far is $157, for one out of network nurse. That’s worth its own celebration!!

Amazing news!  So happy for you!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2004 on: January 06, 2020, 10:08:55 AM »
Today is my 4 year anniversary of a serious cancer diagnosis.  Currently all is well -- no evidence of disease.  I'm grateful for every. single. day. and loving life.   

To everyone else who's been through it or helped a loved one through it, I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Congratulations, @Trifele!!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2005 on: January 08, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »
Got my biopsy back from lymph nodes this week. No cancer! 6 weeks off paid disability leave to recover and 2 extra months FMLA for good measure. For all the ladies out there - schedule those mammograms, and don’t skimp there. Cancer treatments are expensive without insurance. My bill so far is $157, for one out of network nurse. That’s worth its own celebration!!

Amazing news!  So happy for you!

Thank you! On my YOLO smoke break until at least April....so far so good!

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #2006 on: January 11, 2020, 10:06:35 AM »
The world got better in 2019, which is why I'd like to share this link with you:

https://time.com/5754155/global-advances-2019/

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2007 on: January 13, 2020, 11:02:32 AM »
The world got better in 2019, which is why I'd like to share this link with you:

https://time.com/5754155/global-advances-2019/

Thanks for that.  It's nice to hear that a lot of things are going well given the never-ending stream of worrying news. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2008 on: January 16, 2020, 07:00:05 AM »
I work as a freelance contractor with a few companies, and one of them just offered me what amounts to a promotion, with a decent increase in my rate and the prospect of more interesting work.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2009 on: January 16, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
I work as a freelance contractor with a few companies, and one of them just offered me what amounts to a promotion, with a decent increase in my rate and the prospect of more interesting work.

Whoo!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2010 on: January 18, 2020, 07:15:06 AM »
I got a raise, small (3.5%) but the max for my government agency.  It's been due, and so I will be paid retroactively from early fall. 

I also meal prepped and packed my lunch all January and haven't even snuck out for extra coffee (a bad habit, as it wasted money and put too much caffeine in my system).  I've only eaten out once in January.  I'm excited to see my January budget results and see how much money I saved.

We were going to buy a couch but we decided to use one from elsewhere in the house and hold off for a while.  I'm sure we will get a new one eventually, but I count deferring purchases as a win, on the theory that you earn 5-10% of the purchase price every year you can hold off on the purchase and keep the money in the market.  We can also have more time to research the decision properly and hopefully get a better product at a better price. 

My kids also decided they didn't want to do gymanstics anymore.  Not going to say that's a win, but they are little (6 and 3) and it was expensive, so I am happy to get $235 a month back in the budget.  We're going to do swimming lessons instead, which are a bit cheaper and are a fixed course and not just a perpetual ongoing monthly expense. 

All in all, I think January is going to come in $500 - $1,000 lower than our typical spend and I'm going to get another few hundred in income.  If I can keep it up, we'll have another $1,000 in net cash flow every month. 

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #2011 on: January 18, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »
I got a raise, small (3.5%) but the max for my government agency.  It's been due, and so I will be paid retroactively from early fall. 

I also meal prepped and packed my lunch all January and haven't even snuck out for extra coffee (a bad habit, as it wasted money and put too much caffeine in my system).  I've only eaten out once in January.  I'm excited to see my January budget results and see how much money I saved.

We were going to buy a couch but we decided to use one from elsewhere in the house and hold off for a while.  I'm sure we will get a new one eventually, but I count deferring purchases as a win, on the theory that you earn 5-10% of the purchase price every year you can hold off on the purchase and keep the money in the market.  We can also have more time to research the decision properly and hopefully get a better product at a better price. 

My kids also decided they didn't want to do gymanstics anymore.  Not going to say that's a win, but they are little (6 and 3) and it was expensive, so I am happy to get $235 a month back in the budget.  We're going to do swimming lessons instead, which are a bit cheaper and are a fixed course and not just a perpetual ongoing monthly expense. 

All in all, I think January is going to come in $500 - $1,000 lower than our typical spend and I'm going to get another few hundred in income.  If I can keep it up, we'll have another $1,000 in net cash flow every month.

Congrats! Have you rerun your calculations to see how much sooner you’ll hit FI if you do keep it up? $1,000 extra each month invested compounds into $170k in 10 years 😁

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2012 on: January 18, 2020, 09:20:33 AM »

Not yet.  We're probably a bit over 15x living expenses now but there are too many other variables (healthcare, college for kids, the fact that we've had a 10 year bull market and might face a correction) for me to pinpoint a date.  Our expenses could go down a lot if we moved to a LCOL area or up if we face issues with college, healthcare or just some kid desperately wanting to do an expensive activity.  (Competitive gymnastics for bigger kids, for example, can easily be $5k in my area, excluding travel costs.  I don't think we'd ever let it get to that, but with three, it would only take a couple activities to start adding up.)

For now we are just in the "boring middle" where with time it's clear we'll get there comfortably before 65 but it could be 5 years or 15.  Sometimes I think it's easier psychologically to just try to focus on other goals in the meantime. 

Or maybe this is all me just being too lazy to really work up a detailed spreadsheet.  :)

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #2013 on: January 18, 2020, 09:45:56 AM »

Not yet.  We're probably a bit over 15x living expenses now but there are too many other variables (healthcare, college for kids, the fact that we've had a 10 year bull market and might face a correction) for me to pinpoint a date.  Our expenses could go down a lot if we moved to a LCOL area or up if we face issues with college, healthcare or just some kid desperately wanting to do an expensive activity.  (Competitive gymnastics for bigger kids, for example, can easily be $5k in my area, excluding travel costs.  I don't think we'd ever let it get to that, but with three, it would only take a couple activities to start adding up.)

For now we are just in the "boring middle" where with time it's clear we'll get there comfortably before 65 but it could be 5 years or 15.  Sometimes I think it's easier psychologically to just try to focus on other goals in the meantime. 

Or maybe this is all me just being too lazy to really work up a detailed spreadsheet.  :)

No need to run calculations if you’re already motivated to save and it wouldn’t improve your motivation. Keep going with what works for you!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2014 on: January 18, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »
As of today Mint says our net worth has two commas in it. We're millionaires!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2015 on: January 18, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »
We are halfway there today, Woot woot to both of us!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2016 on: January 19, 2020, 05:56:36 AM »

Congratulations to both of you!!!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2017 on: January 22, 2020, 01:47:44 PM »
Finally got around to doing my year end calculations for 2019, and in the six years since I found MMM, my net worth has increased by $194K. Pretty dang happy about that. I was deep in debt when I started. And that is on one income, and dropping down to part time the last two years.

In the halfway club too.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #2018 on: February 01, 2020, 03:34:21 AM »
After one guy left for greener fields, management got it together (I hope) and I asked for a raise despite the current weakness in our field of work with shrinking volumes and contracting margins.

Result: Pay goes up by 8% this month with another upgrade in 2021 already confirmed.

You only have to ask, but you have to ask :-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2019 on: February 01, 2020, 03:35:36 AM »
Nice job @BobTheBuilder!  Congrats!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2020 on: February 01, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »
Finally got around to doing my year end calculations for 2019, and in the six years since I found MMM, my net worth has increased by $194K. Pretty dang happy about that. I was deep in debt when I started. And that is on one income, and dropping down to part time the last two years.

In the halfway club too.
It lasted for like 2 days lol!  But it will come again!

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #2021 on: February 04, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »

Congratulations to both of you!!!

Woot woot!

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #2022 on: February 04, 2020, 09:16:21 PM »
I'm celebrating FI!!!

I lost a job last week.  Beaten and angry, I came home, reviewed the separation paperwork, severance pay, and other details, asked DH for the cost of adding me and DS to his insurance, run a few scenarios and realized that, even with the stock market returning poor results forever, DH working just one more year and me never working again, we could maintain our current level of spending and never run out of money.

The sense of calm I feel as I start thinking of the best job hunt is something I never expected.  Freaking unbelievable.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2023 on: February 04, 2020, 09:44:05 PM »
I'm celebrating FI!!!

I lost a job last week.  Beaten and angry, I came home, reviewed the separation paperwork, severance pay, and other details, asked DH for the cost of adding me and DS to his insurance, run a few scenarios and realized that, even with the stock market returning poor results forever, DH working just one more year and me never working again, we could maintain our current level of spending and never run out of money.

The sense of calm I feel as I start thinking of the best job hunt is something I never expected.  Freaking unbelievable.
It is a great feeling!  Congrats!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2024 on: February 04, 2020, 09:44:47 PM »
We moved into our Dream home yesterday.   It would never have been possible without what I've learned from MMM and you all.   Thanks!

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2025 on: February 05, 2020, 07:07:07 AM »
I'm celebrating FI!!!

Congrats!

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2026 on: February 05, 2020, 07:07:27 AM »
We moved into our Dream home yesterday.   It would never have been possible without what I've learned from MMM and you all.   Thanks!
Must be an awesome feeling, congrats!

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #2027 on: February 05, 2020, 05:38:11 PM »

Congratulations.  Much to celebrate lately, no?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2028 on: February 05, 2020, 06:20:01 PM »

Congratulations.  Much to celebrate lately, no?
Absolutely!

SeaG1ant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2029 on: February 13, 2020, 06:24:04 AM »
Congrats Erica!

Suelavie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Never too late
« Reply #2030 on: February 15, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Hi Mustachians!

100K at 50 years old is not an acomplishment worth mentionning for the vast majority of the Mustachians here, but for me it is…

I began reading MMM at the beginning of 2018, having always thought that I was not wired for savings (I was not « good with numbers », « rich enough to save », not « smart enough to understand those financial things »…name it).  Since forever, I was allergic to debt, but was living paycheck to paycheck, even often slipping in the Red (oh, just a little bit).

So, after the reading of a few MMM articles beginning of 2018, I suggested my husband to sit with me to do a simulation of what will be our financial situation when retired (at 65 minimum, of course).  The vision was almost looking like a Stephen King’s nightmare.  Well, eating Kraft Dinner 4 times a week?

September 2018, my RRSP (I am in Canada) was 40K.  18 month later, I am at 100K, even with a 7 months couple separation in 2019 (no link with the saving efforts :-) )during which savings was hard .

I have to check my banking account a few times a week because I have hard times believing the numbers.  It is so weird, but so empowering at the same time.  The most crazy is that we don’t even feel any sacrifice… Oh, maybe way less suchis in our belly…

My next step is to go « Index Fund » .  I know, I should have done it earlier,  but I still feel that I don’t know much about investment and I wish to find some ethical Portfolios (the one I was attracted to at Tangerine includes Nestlé and Barrick Gold shares… I don’t want those criminals to benefit my Green workers).

So, obviously no RE for me, but way less Kraft Dinner in sight when I will retire!

Sue

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2031 on: February 15, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »
Nice @Suelavie! That's still gotta be a great feeling :-)

Suelavie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Never too late
« Reply #2032 on: February 15, 2020, 07:33:38 PM »
Yeps @ender! thanks!

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2033 on: February 28, 2020, 08:51:52 PM »
I'm celebrating FI!!!

@Gone_Hiking,  This is amazing and so awesome to now find a passion to spend your time on rather than for just a paycheck.   Good luck favors the prepared!

Staunch Aim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2034 on: March 05, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
I'll echo the congrats, @Suelavie .  Be proud! 

That said, I'm almost 40 and I still love Kraft Dinner every once in a while.

Suelavie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Never too late
« Reply #2035 on: March 06, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
@Staunch Aim Thanks!  Me too, some times, I like a Kraft Dinner...  But I guess it is because I have the choice not to eat it:-).  My 100K mark is presently a memory, but I guess the market will bounce back....one day, when the Coronavirus will be also a memory!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2036 on: March 09, 2020, 02:32:45 AM »

I have a big Costco box of them atop my garage fridge. I actually had one in my hand tonight. WThen I opened the fridge, and I realized there was still a third of a pan of scratch-made scalloped potatoes. I actually sighed as I put the KD back in the carton. At least the scalloped potatoes were good. And now they're gone. Oh, the anticipation!  FWIW, I just turned 62, lol.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2037 on: March 09, 2020, 09:50:25 AM »

I have a big Costco box of them atop my garage fridge. I actually had one in my hand tonight. WThen I opened the fridge, and I realized there was still a third of a pan of scratch-made scalloped potatoes. I actually sighed as I put the KD back in the carton. At least the scalloped potatoes were good. And now they're gone. Oh, the anticipation!  FWIW, I just turned 62, lol.

We're almost 60 and we have a big Costco box of them (Annie's).  We reward ourselves with one (adding in a can of tuna) when we've 'earned it' i.e. done some work around the house or yard and are too beat to cook anything more complicated. We look at each other and say, "we've worked and have earned our tuna-mac".

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2038 on: March 11, 2020, 06:12:31 PM »
Tenure.

And because I've been here forever...

Promoted to full professor.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2039 on: March 12, 2020, 08:05:47 AM »
Hell yeah! That's awesome Rural! Way to go!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2040 on: March 18, 2020, 05:23:49 PM »
I'm celebrating FI!!!

Following up just to see how things are going for you guys given the last month.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2041 on: April 09, 2020, 05:34:33 PM »
I decided to relearn math so for the past year and a half I have been working through kahn academy. I started with arithmetic, then pre-algebra. Now I have finished algebra 1! Yay me! I feel like I'm getting the hang of it and now I am on geometry.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2042 on: April 09, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »
I decided to relearn math so for the past year and a half I have been working through kahn academy. I started with arithmetic, then pre-algebra. Now I have finished algebra 1! Yay me! I feel like I'm getting the hang of it and now I am on geometry.

Nice.  Sometimes it's just a matter of being interested and being taught in a way that makes sense. 

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2043 on: April 10, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
Agreed

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #2044 on: May 01, 2020, 05:03:53 PM »
Just opened my first taxable investment account on Vanguard!  Over the past 5 years I paid off $85k in student loans, built a one-year emergency fund, and slowly ramped up my investments.  This year I'm maxing out my 401k and HSA and finished maxing my IRA in April, so now I get to put some money in a taxable account!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2045 on: May 01, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »
Just opened my first taxable investment account on Vanguard!  Over the past 5 years I paid off $85k in student loans, built a one-year emergency fund, and slowly ramped up my investments.  This year I'm maxing out my 401k and HSA and finished maxing my IRA in April, so now I get to put some money in a taxable account!

That's definitely worthy of celebrating!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2046 on: May 02, 2020, 04:16:33 AM »

Well done!!!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2047 on: May 02, 2020, 07:47:29 AM »

That's great!  Good news seems particularly nice right now.

late_savings_bloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2048 on: June 04, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
Three days ago, after a year of indecisiveness, I made my first -- if modest by mustachian standards (25K) -- investment.

Being in my late 30s, I have regrets over the years and opportunities lost. (e.g. had I stayed with the job I quit to go back to school, I could be retired now) So please share any piece of wisdom and hope you got.

Also, this is my first post in the forum! Hello, MMM-world!

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
« Reply #2049 on: June 04, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »
This week my spouse and I finally paid our way out of STUDENT LOAN HELL!!! Zeroes across the board. Six figures of debt gone. Biggest sigh of relief ever (at least until we FIRE). Feels like the wrong time to share this with friends and family, but I think I'm safe on the MMM forum.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!