Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648305 times)

jakegu3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1700 on: February 08, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
Requested a large (percentage-wise) raise to try to bring my salary up to market value for my position and the work I do. 

I didn't want it to be about the new salary compared to what I have been making, but rather about the results I'm providing on large projects I'm working on, to see if the company values me at market value.  So I phrased it that way when asking and my boss and his boss are both going to bat for me to try to make it happen.

Got the confidence to ask by reading here on the forum, so thanks!
Nicely done jakegu3! Sounds like you phrased your request in a smart way,  and that your bosses value your work.  Keep us posted!

Got the good news today, they are giving me almost as much as I asked for, and after bonuses it puts me where I wanted to be.  Things are looking up!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1701 on: February 09, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
Requested a large (percentage-wise) raise to try to bring my salary up to market value for my position and the work I do. 

I didn't want it to be about the new salary compared to what I have been making, but rather about the results I'm providing on large projects I'm working on, to see if the company values me at market value.  So I phrased it that way when asking and my boss and his boss are both going to bat for me to try to make it happen.

Got the confidence to ask by reading here on the forum, so thanks!
Nicely done jakegu3! Sounds like you phrased your request in a smart way,  and that your bosses value your work.  Keep us posted!

Got the good news today, they are giving me almost as much as I asked for, and after bonuses it puts me where I wanted to be.  Things are looking up!

Congrats! 

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1702 on: February 13, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
I made my FI number today!  91 days before my planned RE.
And today I reached it again....

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1703 on: February 13, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
Lol. Hope it sticks this time!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1704 on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »
Lol. Hope it sticks this time!

Congrats #2.  These last few paychecks are going a touch further with the market back down.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1705 on: February 18, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
Excited to have found this thread!

DH and I just converted our Roth IRA shares to VTSAX. Finally each had the $10,000+ requirement! Definitely a small scale celebration compared to some others I’ve read here but so happy to have crossed that milestone!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1706 on: February 19, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »
Excited to have found this thread!

DH and I just converted our Roth IRA shares to VTSAX. Finally each had the $10,000+ requirement! Definitely a small scale celebration compared to some others I’ve read here but so happy to have crossed that milestone!

Congrats! Everyone says the first 10k is the hardest! I'll be excited to reach this too, hopefully not too long from now. I maxed a traditional and a Roth the past two years (I worked only 4 months the first year hence the Roth), so it's a little frustrating that I have that much invested and it's all still VTSMX.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1707 on: February 20, 2018, 05:36:46 AM »
I got a 4.5% raise at my job!

Congratulations!

vaskea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1708 on: February 20, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »
By selling a bunch of crap I didn't need I paid off CC#1 3 months ahead of schedule! CC#2 is in my sights now, already sent an extra $500 payment this month and planning to send another $500 with my next paycheck. I originally was aiming to have this balance paid off by September of this year but now I'm feeling invigorated and my new goal is to pay it off by the end of May. Time to find more crap to sell!

Congratulations

haflander

• Bristles
« Reply #1709 on: February 22, 2018, 03:57:13 PM »
I finished paying off my school loans! For some reference I'm 27, graduated in 2014, and took a total of about 20k. I finished paying them off in less than 4 years.

Now I'm shifting my focus to my only other debt, a stupid car loan. I'm about 24 months into a 60-month loan but would like to pay it off asap. I'm still making minimum payments right now but plan to change that as soon as I settle into a new budget routine after starting a new job...I haven't even been paid yet.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1710 on: February 22, 2018, 04:13:04 PM »
I finished paying off my school loans! For some reference I'm 27, graduated in 2014, and took a total of about 20k. I finished paying them off in less than 4 years.

Now I'm shifting my focus to my only other debt, a stupid car loan. I'm about 24 months into a 60-month loan but would like to pay it off asap. I'm still making minimum payments right now but plan to change that as soon as I settle into a new budget routine after starting a new job...I haven't even been paid yet.

Nice job!!  Onward to that car loan -- slay the beast!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1711 on: February 26, 2018, 06:48:25 AM »
I just paid the last college bill for my younger child. Both of my daughters went to state schools and I cash flowed the tuition for both - no loans! (DD will finish in three years thanks to AP courses from high school and a couple of online summer courses).

Savings rate (for me) gets to go even higher now!  : 0 )

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1712 on: February 26, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »
I just paid the last college bill for my younger child. Both of my daughters went to state schools and I cash flowed the tuition for both - no loans! (DD will finish in three years thanks to AP courses from high school and a couple of online summer courses).

Savings rate (for me) gets to go even higher now!  : 0 )

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

As the parent that is beginning the college cash flow gauntlet, I commend your ability to get the kids through this. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1713 on: February 26, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
Great Job, Livingthedream55!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1714 on: February 27, 2018, 02:13:45 AM »
I think a few congratulations are in order for @arebelspy, the old timer seems to live here and has racked up somewhat of an anniversary :)

If he logs in for another 13 minutes he'll have spent 200 full days online on our dear forum.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1715 on: February 27, 2018, 02:17:12 AM »
I think a few congratulations are in order for @arebelspy, the old timer seems to live here and has racked up somewhat of an anniversary :)

If he logs in for another 13 minutes he'll have spent 200 full days online on our dear forum.

Two. Hundred. Days.

Congratulations... I guess?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1716 on: February 27, 2018, 05:07:19 AM »
I’m only 12 hours and 8 minutes and 140 days behind that.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1717 on: February 27, 2018, 07:24:45 AM »
Finally, after several years, just paid the last of our crazy Credit Card bills off. The last year+ has been all zero interest but that's ending soon. So as of this morning's payment confirmation we have zero dollars being carried forward on our credit cards. Feels good! Our only remaining debt is our car loan (just bought a used car, will have it paid off in 2019) and our mortgage.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1718 on: February 27, 2018, 08:05:41 AM »
Hell yes! Great work!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1719 on: February 27, 2018, 07:38:55 PM »
Annual review went very well today, and as a result of a raise and generous bonus, I now have a six-digit salary! I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever be making this much money.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1720 on: February 28, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »
Annual review went very well today, and as a result of a raise and generous bonus, I now have a six-digit salary! I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever be making this much money.

YAY!!!!!  :D

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1721 on: March 02, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »

We knew you could do it! Congrats!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1722 on: March 09, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »
Paid off the mortgage today -- woo hoo!!  Feels really good to check that one off my FIRE to-do list.  Getting closer!!   

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #1723 on: March 10, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
Had enough FU money to say FU!! 

My job over the last 1.5 years was relentless and at times, unbearable.  I just gave notice and will start a much lower paying job that should be enjoyable and give me time in my life to reintroduce all the fun things I enjoy doing (e.g., softball, pottery, band) that I've given up.  Also, the dog will get walked more frequently and my spouse will actually see me!  Other bonuses: shorter commute, and I can take the bus for free during the academic year.

I don't have enough to be financially independent yet, but I'm able to downsize jobs, save less each year, and still hit FIRE on schedule in Feb 2021.

I'm still finishing out my current gig, but I can breathe a bit better already!

(I'll need support when I'm not saving as much -- I'm an awesome saver and not being able to do so at the level I have the last few years will be rough!)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1724 on: March 12, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Paid off the mortgage today -- woo hoo!!  Feels really good to check that one off my FIRE to-do list.  Getting closer!!

It feels good, doesn't it!?  We paid ours off a couple years ago, and it's great to know that the house is totally ours. 

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1725 on: March 23, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »
  Closing on the sale of an investment house very shortly and the mortgage dies the day the check clears.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1726 on: March 27, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »
This is the first month I’ve made an extra payment toward my student loan debt! Finally getting the snowball started and after getting paid this Friday, total extra paid toward the loan this month will be ~$4k!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1727 on: March 27, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »
This is the first month I’ve made an extra payment toward my student loan debt! Finally getting the snowball started and after getting paid this Friday, total extra paid toward the loan this month will be ~$4k!

Great job @zeli2033!  The day you pay off that last student loan is awesome -- you'll feel like you can fly!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1728 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
Thank you, @Trifele ! I imagine you feel a bit like flying yourself after paying off that mortgage - CONGRATS!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1729 on: April 06, 2018, 12:13:50 AM »
Today’s my last day at my current job! I’m off to Paris for a week and when I start at New Job at the end of the month I’ll be making 97 percent more than I do now. My pay doesn’t suck now but soon I’ll have a whole firehose of cash pointed at my Roth 401(k)!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1730 on: April 06, 2018, 01:04:34 AM »
That’s the hope, though I’ve managed to move somewhere even more expensive than London so we will see if it’s borne out. I’ll be retiring to an LCOL area so even if the rate is unchanged it will be a huge help.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #1731 on: April 08, 2018, 09:44:49 AM »
Today’s my last day at my current job! I’m off to Paris for a week and when I start at New Job at the end of the month I’ll be making 97 percent more than I do now. My pay doesn’t suck now but soon I’ll have a whole firehose of cash pointed at my Roth 401(k)!

97% raise is awesome!  Congrats!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1732 on: April 19, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
crossed 900k in NW (36).  getting close!

90% of another comma.  I can't believe we've had one for almost a year now. 

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1733 on: April 20, 2018, 06:07:29 PM »
 Great job! Once you have that big a stash, it is amazing how fast it can  grow (and sink). I paid of my house last week and shall say Buh Bye to working this year. Grantmeaname,  I recall you as a TOSU grad, is that correct?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1734 on: April 20, 2018, 07:53:51 PM »
Great job! Once you have that big a stash, it is amazing how fast it can  grow (and sink). I paid of my house last week and shall say Buh Bye to working this year.
Hell yes! Hope your last few weeks of working fly by!
Grantmeaname,  I recall you as a TOSU grad, is that correct?
Yes indeed! Go bucks!

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1735 on: April 24, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »
Wife and I have been adjusting to the simpler and cheaper life, last big clown obligation is our 100k home in town. Listing it for sale and will close on a replacement/retirement home next month.

Country living here we come!

$700/yr taxes, well instead of water bill, septic instead of sewer bill, $317 payment.
The dollars tell part of the story but we LOVE the rest. Living space is comparable, garage space/man cave will be fan-freakin-tastic. Conservation land and scenic rivers within eyesight. So excited!

The only downside is giving up my job that I don't like and almost for certain the biggest paychecks of my life. Meh, oh well.

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #1736 on: April 27, 2018, 10:28:11 AM »
I am finally going to max (or very nearly max) my TSP!  I bumped up my contributions to 30%, which i think should put me between 18,000 and 18,200 for the year.  I guess I will have to go back in later in the year and enter in exact dollar amounts instead of percentage in order to max.

Retirement accounts + taxable investments finally are over 50k!  + Cash puts me about 100k! So happy I am finally starting to implement MMM principles and actually have a stache building.

My real estate license is active!  I still have some trainings to do before I can start actually doing anything but hopefully this new career will make it easier to quit the full-time job. 

VirtualProgress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1737 on: May 05, 2018, 01:44:29 PM »
As of yesterday, I saved enough for the cost of the room we'd love to get married in ,
in our local registry office.

we aren't booking/paying for big stuff yet but I've made a list of what we need to save for first & how much.

I used to be bad with savings.

TSpacagna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1738 on: May 24, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
Purchased first bike (along w/ girlfriend and room mate) for grocery/Costco runs!
Also just refinanced my student loans- Lower rate, cut 5 years off the term, AND will be saving over $3000 in interest! Im super stoked!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1739 on: May 25, 2018, 02:48:06 PM »
Purchased first bike (along w/ girlfriend and room mate)

I don't really need another roommate but a girlfriend could be nice. Where'd you buy yours?

Thoughtful Mule

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1740 on: May 26, 2018, 06:32:24 AM »
Just wired in my final mortgage payment. Feels pretty great!

TSpacagna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1741 on: May 27, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
Purchased first bike (along w/ girlfriend and room mate)

I don't really need another roommate but a girlfriend could be nice. Where'd you buy yours?

Costco has EVERYTHING these days! Lol!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1742 on: May 31, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »
Just wired in my final mortgage payment. Feels pretty great!

Woohoo!  We've had ours paid off for 2 1/2 years now, and I can't believe it's been that long.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1743 on: May 31, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »
I'm retired now.  Not exactly all that early (I am 53) but early nonetheless. 

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1744 on: May 31, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »
Still earlier than the vast majority of folks! Congrats!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1745 on: May 31, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »
Still earlier than the vast majority of folks! Congrats!

Yeah, I think the vast majority of people would say 53 is completely and definitively early retirement.  You're just comparing yourself to folks on here, and this is not at all a representative sample.

Congrats!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1746 on: May 31, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
Congratulations, Will!

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #1747 on: June 01, 2018, 08:04:42 AM »
@Will Congratulations!

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1748 on: June 05, 2018, 08:39:09 AM »
Started a new job yesterday and successfully negotiated salary for the first time in my life. Nowhere near as high as I was aiming but 3k more than my last job, free monthly transit pass ($100 value) and flights to the west coast to work out of their LA office (which is also conveniently where my boyfriend lives -- so my travel to see him will now be free!).

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1749 on: June 05, 2018, 10:16:18 AM »
Started a new job yesterday and successfully negotiated salary for the first time in my life. Nowhere near as high as I was aiming but 3k more than my last job, free monthly transit pass ($100 value) and flights to the west coast to work out of their LA office (which is also conveniently where my boyfriend lives -- so my travel to see him will now be free!).

Congrats.  I need to do that myself.  Thanks for a little more motivation.