Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648308 times)

Geophine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1600 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:07 AM »
I post a lot recently, I know. But once I started looking the opportunities just pop up everywhere.
My work is actually offering free finance webinars for their non-finance employees!!! Free education on accounting and how to read the finances of big cooperations. So cool. And I thought this job was a road to nowhere...

a great day to you all.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1601 on: September 12, 2017, 06:48:09 AM »
Two commas.

Nice. That's a fun one. :D

Especially when it comes just a few months after becoming a parent, and less than a month before I turn 30! What a momentous year this will have been.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1602 on: September 12, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »
I realized today that my net worth has overtaken my total lifetime earnings so far!

And with that, I've hit my bare bones FI number. Just before I turn 30 too.

That just made my day. :D

That's huge!! Congratulations!

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1603 on: September 12, 2017, 05:44:50 PM »
Especially when it comes just a few months after becoming a parent, and less than a month before I turn 30! What a momentous year this will have been.

Well done, that's awesome!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1604 on: September 12, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »
I realized today that my net worth has overtaken my total lifetime earnings so far!

And with that, I've hit my bare bones FI number. Just before I turn 30 too.

That just made my day. :D

Wow, both those are huge! 

The former was one of my 5 Financial Goals (number 3), and the latter was a big milestone for me, too.

Nice work!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #1605 on: September 20, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »

Congrats Happier!!  Such a huge accomplishment amidst other major life milestones!!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1606 on: September 24, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »
* found out we will receive a nice equity payout from a past employer that was acquired by a big company. will be nice to have the surprise cash to add to the cushion and investment accounts.
* checked an investment account and saw a transaction adding $1,700 in long-term cap gains and dividends to the account

Counting_Down

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1607 on: October 03, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
Just calculated daily gain rate over a few different time intervals (keep house value constant so it is same for NW or portfolio) :
90d average: up $1,010.63/day (368,879.95 annualized)
6 mo average: up $804.60/day (293,679.00 annualized)
1/1/2017-date: up $950.62/day (346,976.30 annualized)

Also calculated passive income hourly rate:
Based on a rebel spy's method (1700 hrs per year for average worker): $21.76/hr
Based on my own 250 working days/yr @8 hr days: $18.50/hr

2 years to go!

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1608 on: October 05, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »
I have to breathe a huge sigh of relief.

My mom passed in early June and I have been paying for the lot fee and utilities and insurance on her MF home since out of her account. Her place finally sold and now I don't have to worry about $600+ dollars owing every month. She really didn't have a estate so I am grateful that October is good and now all I need to concern myself with is the probate and taxes next year. I was starting to sweat about having enough in the account to pay for things.

onionscelerypeppers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1609 on: October 05, 2017, 12:05:56 PM »
After much, much, much thought and research, I finally have a bike rack and fenders installed.. and I just copped a barely-used pair of the exact Ortlieb panniers I wanted! No more daily bike runs with a sweaty backpack. :)

FI4good

• Stubble
  • EU citizen
« Reply #1610 on: October 07, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
Liquid assets have just gone over a milestone . yay
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:25:58 AM by FI4good »

semiretired31

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1611 on: October 09, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
I meant to post this a while back.  Took me about 6 weeks to go from $298k in total investments to $300k.  When I finally cleared that hurdle, it's taken about 4 weeks to get to $308k.  Funny how that works, huh?  My next milestone is $375k in total investments.  Will put me fully funded ($1.5 mill) in 20 years @ 7% return if I don't contribute another dollar (which I clearly will). 

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1612 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
Called the recon. line twice to get my second Southwest card approved (with the 60k bonuses).  Persistence paid off!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1613 on: October 10, 2017, 10:50:33 AM »
Turned down a promotion that would have increased compensation by about 25% and made my life a misery. No regrets, no angst. I wouldn't have minded the money, but we don't need it.

Excellent feeling knowing exactly what you want, when is 'enough', and what means the most to you in life.

Congrats!

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1614 on: October 10, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »
My husband said FU and quit his job this summer. It was some serious BS so he decided he was done and handed in his notice. Now he's a self employed blacksmith and living the dream!

That was an unplanned transition, but it's working pretty well so far thanks to savings + living below one's means, so I still managed to send off one last contribution to my Roth IRA and max it for the year. This is the first year I'll be maxing my 401k and Roth and it feels awesome!

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #1615 on: October 13, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »
While updating my spreadsheets yesterday i noticed raking in > 500 € in dividends after tax in october :) (beware: quarterly and half-year payers). I noticed my ticker to only shortly fall beliw the 180k mark.

For all crpssing the 100k, it really starts to snowball from there. I couldnt believe this around 2015 when i crossed that line.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1616 on: October 13, 2017, 08:12:08 AM »
Yesterday I got a notice from my health insurance company that my surgery (doctor, hospital, & anesthesiologist) was covered in full. Hooray! If I'd picked the $700 cheaper (annually) health plan I would have owed 10% in addition to paying more for every appointment with the doctor/physical therapist/etc. Definitely made the right choice.

And then today when my paycheck was direct deposited, my NW crossed $300k! Double hooray! My NW has increased significantly more than my total take-home pay adds up to, YTD. It feels kind of weird to work hard at a full time job and then your money is making a higher salary than you by just sitting in a Vanguard account.

semiretired31

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1617 on: October 16, 2017, 02:01:49 PM »
Double comma on total NW! 

A ways to go on investments, so I'll be back for that one in a year or two.  I know it's no different from $999k, but there's something to be said for psychological validation of your habits.

I totally get it.  I was hovering around $298k in investments for like 6 weeks.  Finally hit $300k and it was a nice boost (even if it didn't mean anything). 

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #1618 on: October 18, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »
Really excited to announce that when I did our monthly finances update this morning....

...our investments total over $1m!!!

It's a good thing I'm working from home today, otherwise I'd be walking around the office with a huge smile on my face all day!  Woohoo!  This doesn't count our son's 529 plan, our home equity, or the value of our property abroad.  We found MMM in 2013 and at that point had about $350k in investments, so to basically triple that in 4 years feels pretty awesome (although I know many on here have made more dramatic progress, and you all inspire me).  I'm so thankful for MMM and this entire community - without it, who knows what sort of facepunch-worthy life we'd be leading right now.  Thanks everyone!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1619 on: October 20, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
Really excited to announce that when I did our monthly finances update this morning....

...our investments total over $1m!!!

It's a good thing I'm working from home today, otherwise I'd be walking around the office with a huge smile on my face all day!  Woohoo!  This doesn't count our son's 529 plan, our home equity, or the value of our property abroad.  We found MMM in 2013 and at that point had about $350k in investments, so to basically triple that in 4 years feels pretty awesome (although I know many on here have made more dramatic progress, and you all inspire me).  I'm so thankful for MMM and this entire community - without it, who knows what sort of facepunch-worthy life we'd be leading right now.  Thanks everyone!

Congrats!  We hit that a few months ago, too, and it still is not real to me.  My husband ran the numbers, and when he told me the grand total I was dumbfounded and in shock for the next couple of days.  It's so exciting.  I wish more people could turn their finances around and get to experience it. 

99to1percent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • https://99to1percent.com
« Reply #1620 on: October 27, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »
A potential client contacted us this week asking about a product we had kind of neglected/barely promoted.  If it goes through, the deal has the potential of fastracking our goal of doubling our $400K+/yr income.

We have also decided to re-launch the product and put some effort into marketing it. Hopefully, it goes well.  Fingers crossed.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1621 on: October 29, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
My husband ran the numbers, and when he told me the grand total I was dumbfounded and in shock for the next couple of days.  It's so exciting.  I wish more people could turn their finances around and get to experience it.

My wife are on our way!  We are eager to experience it too.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1622 on: October 29, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
Hit $100k stash!  (It may be back to $99.9k after the markets close this afternoon.)

That is awesome, congratulations.
I am looking forward to us getting there as soon as we can too

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #1623 on: November 01, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »
I just opened and funded (with $3k) my first non-tax sheltered Vanguard account.

Once the transfer goes through I'll also have broken through $140k.  Woot!

For any other "it's going to be hard/annoying/time consuming" procrastinators out there, opening the account was super simple and way less painful than I thought it would be.  Good job Vanguard.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1624 on: November 01, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »
Nice work katshache!

My celebration is that my SO has pretty much finished paying off his half of our mortgage! (We use offset accounts, not sure if that is just an Australian thing, so the line is a bit fuzzy).

That money will now be funnelled  into the stash. It really feels like things are picking up speed now!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1625 on: November 01, 2017, 05:18:48 PM »
Nice work katshache!

My celebration is that my SO has pretty much finished paying off his half of our mortgage! (We use offset accounts, not sure if that is just an Australian thing, so the line is a bit fuzzy).

That money will now be funnelled  into the stash. It really feels like things are picking up speed now!

Congrats chasingthegoodlife!

Offset accounts are just an Aussie thing - and if you talk about "paying off" your mortgage confused Americans will tell you it's not the optimal choice :-P

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1626 on: November 01, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
thanks HAH.

Perhaps I should say ‘we now have a fully funded emergency fund and no mortgage expense’.

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #1627 on: November 05, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
Recently found a unicorn job for a SAHM. About 10 hours a week, no commute, weekend hours so no need for childcare. Our plan for the extra income is to put at least 50% into savings and use the rest for quality of life improvements. Plus the people I work with are great, it's a community in which I am personally invested and I'm able to keep myself marketable in my chosen field. Oh, and DH is getting much needed 1-1 time with our son. Win-win-win-win-win-win-win!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1628 on: November 09, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
New baby boy arrived yesterday. VBAC according to plan. We are doing well.

stealthwealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1629 on: November 09, 2017, 04:38:25 PM »
Congratulations on your new child! 

My household's net worth crossed the $1M mark for the first time today - I'm 39 and my wife is a couple years younger.  Our home equity is about $120k of that - I don't think it will feel real until that number is in a single account, or at least all in liquid assets.  It could go back below in the morning, but tonight that milestone stands.  Still a weird feeling - I don't *feel* like I'm a millionnaire, but yet...I somehow am. 

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #1630 on: November 13, 2017, 05:08:25 AM »
Congratulations everyone! I just hit a milestone of my own:

Just finished my first year bike commuting. I biked 187/238 working days ( ~78.5%) for 2940 miles! That's almost a cross country bike trip.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #1631 on: November 13, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
Just finished my first year bike commuting. I biked 187/238 working days ( ~78.5%) for 2940 miles! That's almost a cross country bike trip.

Congratulations, that's an amazing achievement and a long commute at ~15.7 miles per day! At 78.5% it looks like you must have biked even in inclement weather lots, nice work.

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1632 on: November 14, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
Paid off another school loan today! 

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1633 on: November 14, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
Woo woo hardcore biking and goodbye to student loans!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1634 on: November 14, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
Congratulations everyone! I just hit a milestone of my own:

That's impressive! I'm at 6 drives to work since August, but that streak will come to an end very soon. Do you bike in winter too?

LadyDividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Lady Dividend
« Reply #1635 on: November 14, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
I just opened and funded (with $3k) my first non-tax sheltered Vanguard account.

Once the transfer goes through I'll also have broken through $140k.  Woot!

Good stuff! That means that perhaps you have maxed out your tax sheltered accounts? Pretty damn inspiring!

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #1636 on: November 15, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
That's impressive! I'm at 6 drives to work since August, but that streak will come to an end very soon. Do you bike in winter too?

I'm in Maryland so the winters are mild and I can bike. But we do get alot of rain and I skip those days. How's the biking season up there?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1637 on: November 21, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
Both happened yesterday:

1) Reached an agreement in principle to merge my two real estate startups into a bigger, stronger, faster company with $800K in assets and another $800K pending purchase in Dec/Jan. This will provide enough supplemental income to ensure I navigate the early stages of FIRE without a cash crunch, while my investments compound up to full FI.

2) Gave notice to quit my full-time govt job before Christmas. Age 39 and 5 months, time in workforce 17 years.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1638 on: November 21, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »
Both happened yesterday:

1) Reached an agreement in principle to merge my two real estate startups into a bigger, stronger, faster company with $800K in assets and another $800K pending purchase in Dec/Jan. This will provide enough supplemental income to ensure I navigate the early stages of FIRE without a cash crunch, while my investments compound up to full FI.

2) Gave notice to quit my full-time govt job before Christmas. Age 39 and 5 months, time in workforce 17 years.

Ooh! Big, big, BIG! Congrats.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1639 on: November 21, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
Wow! Congrats! Fantastic news.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1640 on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »
That's amazing! Congrats zephyer911!

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1641 on: November 21, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
We crossed the $1 million net worth mark today! Kind of exciting. :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1642 on: November 21, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
VERY exciting!!!  :D

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1643 on: November 22, 2017, 07:58:35 AM »
Mint just showed my net worth at 1.5 million :)

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1644 on: November 22, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »

Congratulations!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1645 on: November 22, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »

Only kind of?  Congrats!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1646 on: November 23, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
Mint just showed my net worth at 1.5 million :)

Congratulations - what date did you cross the $1.0M mark?  Just curious if it was as much shorter for you as it was for us.  I think it took 13-14 years for the first $1.0, and then only 3-4 for the next $.5...

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1647 on: November 27, 2017, 10:30:02 AM »
Both happened yesterday:

NICE.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1648 on: December 01, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »
I just got a 3% spot raise over and above my normal annual raise that happened back in September.  The company has had a serious retention problem, and I think they're trying to step it up. 

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1649 on: December 01, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
We were directly affected by Hurricane Harvey.  Since that time I (we) have been working with contractors, insurance inspectors, adjusters, agents, FEMA, TWIA, remote document reviewers, etc. trying to get enough money to cover our losses (minus deductibles, of course).  Finally, yesterday's visit to TWIA (insurance) and subsequent call to the remote document reviewer resulted in a 20% increase in the amount they originally authorized.  Win!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!