Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648275 times)

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1550 on: June 13, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »
Congrats to everyone hitting milestones on this thread!  We just passed $900k of investments a couple weeks ago at age 35/36.  Am feeling pretty awesome about how close we are to FIRE (for us, will probably be when our investments hit $1m or thereabouts, bc we have some other real estate that will be sold in the next few years and added to the pile).  Can't wait to be free from the need to work :)

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1551 on: June 19, 2017, 08:11:15 PM »
At 22 years old I reached a six figure net worth this week!!

Congrats. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get there so early?

Not at all! A number of factors have fast-tracked my progress.

I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2015 (with zero debt/student loans thanks to my parents). By this point, I had already saved up a good chunk of change from various jobs/internships as well as savings bonds received from grandparents growing up (~$15k). I got married that January, and my husband (25) had saved up roughly $30k between his Roth IRA and 401k. I landed a job in sales straight out of school, earning $60k + commission + phone + car (including gas and insurance... this really adds up!). We sold my car when I was given a company car and invested that money (~$10k). We invest nearly all of my salary, and a large chunk of my husband's $110k salary. It is certainly in our favor that our investments over the last year and a half have returns of 20%+... obviously this won't be the case every year.

We try to live conservatively as DINKs in preparation for the future. Within the next couple of years, we'd like to start a family, and I have the goal of staying home with our children. By not relying on my salary whatsoever, we will hopefully feel a bit more prepared if we become a one-salary household! :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1552 on: June 24, 2017, 12:48:53 AM »
This is a bit of an unusual celebration for this thread, but we are now the proud owners of a cargo bicycle. It has four seats for passengers and lots of room for cargo. Hoping to take the kids to activities in it, as well as going to pick up the chicken feed without having to "park." It was very expensive for a bicycle, but it was my 40th birthday present and it's much cheaper than almost any car.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1553 on: June 24, 2017, 05:04:33 AM »
This is a bit of an unusual celebration for this thread, but we are now the proud owners of a cargo bicycle. It has four seats for passengers and lots of room for cargo. Hoping to take the kids to activities in it, as well as going to pick up the chicken feed without having to "park." It was very expensive for a bicycle, but it was my 40th birthday present and it's much cheaper than almost any car.

Congratulations Jengod!  That is awesome.  And happy birthday!

espyfamoffour

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1554 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »
Just joined the forum community and celebrating a few items:
  • Convinced spouse to downsize home last year, and she admitted it's been easier to adjust than she thought.  175k in home equity with a very manageable mtg that I'm hoping to pay down asap.  Sold it as a 2-3 year tryout, so she's already looking at RE again, but I'm hoping another year or 2 of lower taxes and financial flexibility helps her reconsider
  • hit 200k+ in investments earlier this year (195 pre tax, 25k taxable)
  • Committing max to 401k
  • 2nd car debt done in 2018, no debt other than mtg!
  • Wife going from .5 to .6 position for a healthy bump in salary (covers cost of increased child care)

All reasons to celebrate...woo hoo!

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1555 on: June 28, 2017, 05:48:25 PM »
Our net worth recently exceeded $2M :D

(Side note: I still vividly remember walking on my college campus with my friends and fantasizing about when one of us might make a million bucks. At the time, I thought it would take much longer than it did, but I also thought that I would feel much richer than I do. LOL)

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #1556 on: July 10, 2017, 12:32:20 PM »
Use this thread to post your mini-accomplishments so we can celebrate with you!

If you have a bigger accomplishment, feel free to start your own thread in the Share Your Badassity section of the forums, but for small milestones, things you just want to share with someone, but don't really have anyone to share it with (besides maybe your partner), toss em out there so we can celebrate with you!

This is kind of a "hello" to the MMM community and a general celebration post as well.

For years, i have asked "where did it go" after seeing our tax returns come in with pretty high AGI (both DW and I make good wages).  We are pretty good savers, always maxing out 401K, but we spent so much money without thinking about the value.  I probably have 20 bottles of wine in my house that cost us more than $150 per bottle just because we "could afford it".

I came across FI concepts 2 months ago and it really opened my eyes.  In the last two months we have:

- moved all $ into low cost funds (50% was basically in cash and the others were sporadically invested in ETFs)
- Sold $1000s of stuff that was sitting around the house that we didn't need (bike racks, a guitar, TVs, etc)
- canceled cable
- started shopping at costco/target instead of running to the high priced grocery next door
- started budgeting and tracking everything in excel
- sold my 10mpg BMW X5 yesterday and bought a used CR-V that gets 34 mpg highway. i was grinning from ear to ear as i watched the MPG meter driving home yesterday.
- started taking the train to work and jogging home (around 5 miles but i am a runner so that's not a long distance)
- cancelled 2 $160/month equinox memberships
- cut out countless other expenses
- got a free breadmaker and make our own bread (still not coming out right)
- we determined that even with all the "mistakes" we made, and even though we are expecting our first child in 10 days, we can both definitely retire very comfortably in 10 years max.  if we followed the strict 4% SWR and cut back our expenses we could probably retire right now, in fact.
- the best part is that we are sharing with friends and family, to a limited extent.  they think i have absolutely lost my mind.

Just wanted to say thanks to no one, and everyone, in particular.  The best way to capture the feeling is "liberating".

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1557 on: July 10, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »
Use this thread to post your mini-accomplishments so we can celebrate with you!

If you have a bigger accomplishment, feel free to start your own thread in the Share Your Badassity section of the forums, but for small milestones, things you just want to share with someone, but don't really have anyone to share it with (besides maybe your partner), toss em out there so we can celebrate with you!

This is kind of a "hello" to the MMM community and a general celebration post as well.

For years, i have asked "where did it go" after seeing our tax returns come in with pretty high AGI (both DW and I make good wages).  We are pretty good savers, always maxing out 401K, but we spent so much money without thinking about the value.  I probably have 20 bottles of wine in my house that cost us more than $150 per bottle just because we "could afford it".

I came across FI concepts 2 months ago and it really opened my eyes.  In the last two months we have:

- moved all $ into low cost funds (50% was basically in cash and the others were sporadically invested in ETFs)
- Sold $1000s of stuff that was sitting around the house that we didn't need (bike racks, a guitar, TVs, etc)
- canceled cable
- started shopping at costco/target instead of running to the high priced grocery next door
- started budgeting and tracking everything in excel
- sold my 10mpg BMW X5 yesterday and bought a used CR-V that gets 34 mpg highway. i was grinning from ear to ear as i watched the MPG meter driving home yesterday.
- started taking the train to work and jogging home (around 5 miles but i am a runner so that's not a long distance)
- cancelled 2 $160/month equinox memberships
- cut out countless other expenses
- got a free breadmaker and make our own bread (still not coming out right)
- we determined that even with all the "mistakes" we made, and even though we are expecting our first child in 10 days, we can both definitely retire very comfortably in 10 years max.  if we followed the strict 4% SWR and cut back our expenses we could probably retire right now, in fact.
- the best part is that we are sharing with friends and family, to a limited extent.  they think i have absolutely lost my mind.

Just wanted to say thanks to no one, and everyone, in particular.  The best way to capture the feeling is "liberating".

Congrats.  You should add

- got excited about doing it

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #1558 on: July 11, 2017, 04:07:14 AM »
For the first time in 14+ years (even longer for my husband)... We have no credit card debt!!!!!!

We've managed to pay off all three of our credit cards in the last 7 months (probably close to $20,000). I can't believe it. Now, the only thing remaining is a car loan (I'm not counting the mortgage).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1559 on: July 11, 2017, 04:16:45 AM »
Congrats Izybat!  Nice milestone. 

Welcome Wannabe-Stache!   Congrats on the turnaround -- and congrats on your soon-to-be first child!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1560 on: July 11, 2017, 06:31:17 AM »
What a great list wannabe-stache! I read it out to my husband. That's a lot of change in a very short time!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1561 on: July 11, 2017, 07:21:42 AM »
[...]

Congratulations on the new addition!

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #1562 on: July 11, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »
With my 401K deposits from last month finally hitting, I've broken $100,000 in just my 401k/Rollover/Roth etc. retirement accounts! 

Weird to think that if I include my much smaller (~25K) taxable accounts, I could not save another dime and retire at 'normal'
 retirement age a millionaire. 

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1563 on: July 12, 2017, 03:53:27 PM »
Updated all our numbers last night for end of financial year.

I hadn't updated SO's investment property value for two years, and the adjustment last night pushed our networth to over $1million.

That is bananas.

(That includes our house, FIRE isn't a goal for him (yet), and I won't do anything until I'm sure my individual numbers will stand on their own, but if all the shit hit the fan at once we would probably be FI and that's kind of blowing my mind.)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1564 on: July 13, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
For the first time in 14+ years (even longer for my husband)... We have no credit card debt!!!!!!

We've managed to pay off all three of our credit cards in the last 7 months (probably close to $20,000). I can't believe it. Now, the only thing remaining is a car loan (I'm not counting the mortgage).

Soon you will be able to do the "debt free scream"....:)

Congrats so far.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #1565 on: July 14, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »
I'm a millionaire!

I know most people say it's no big deal, but I swear I have tears of joy and I'm just so grateful to be where I am.  I'm a lucky, lucky person.

Disclaimer - I am old, especially for this site.  I'm 51.  I calculate my net worth quarterly, and just crossed over with the last check in.

I'm so grateful because I truly feel like I've had some challenges.  My Mom had a stroke when I was 26.  She was only 52.  And my siblings and I supported her for the next 20 years through ever more complex living arrangements - starting at assisted living and graduating to a full scale nursing home.  Yeah, that shit's not cheap.  But, you deal with the life you have, I guess, and she had as good a 20 years as you can have in those circumstances.

10 years ago I had a pair of twins, and I've always been the sole parent.  Their birth coincided with the stock market downturn and with childcare costs, I had to reduce my 401k contributions down to just 5%.  I still regret that one.  Really regret it.  But, I try to shovel as much as I can in now.

I'm fairly spendy, due mostly to time constraints I think.  I don't shop at a grocery store unless it is between work and home.  I spend money on pre chopped mirepoix, rather than chopping myself, again to save time, yada, yada.

I'm at about 22% home equity, the rest retirement type savings.  Unfortunately, I don't see myself being able to retire until my house is paid off.  I've got 8.5 more years to go.  I live in a fairly HCOL area and my 1080 squares costs me just over $3000 a month for PITI.  I work in a dying industry and I hope to ride this train til the end, but it's possible we won't make it for those 8.5 years.  If that happens, I'll explore moving to a LCOL area and calling it a day, healthcare willing.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1566 on: July 14, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
Ok, this is dumb, but for me it counts. I finally live somewhere where I can post on FB that I could use a 2nd pair of hands for 5 minutes on a Saturday to help me do something really easy, and I got a response within 10 minutes from a friend, she's coming tomorrow. And another friend posted 5 minutes later that if it falls through, he'll turn up.

I love having friends near me :)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1567 on: July 14, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »
I'm a millionaire!

I know most people say it's no big deal, but I swear I have tears of joy and I'm just so grateful to be where I am.  I'm a lucky, lucky person.

Disclaimer - I am old, especially for this site.  I'm 51.  I calculate my net worth quarterly, and just crossed over with the last check in.

I'm so grateful because I truly feel like I've had some challenges.  My Mom had a stroke when I was 26.  She was only 52.  And my siblings and I supported her for the next 20 years through ever more complex living arrangements - starting at assisted living and graduating to a full scale nursing home.  Yeah, that shit's not cheap.  But, you deal with the life you have, I guess, and she had as good a 20 years as you can have in those circumstances.

10 years ago I had a pair of twins, and I've always been the sole parent.  Their birth coincided with the stock market downturn and with childcare costs, I had to reduce my 401k contributions down to just 5%.  I still regret that one.  Really regret it.  But, I try to shovel as much as I can in now.

I'm fairly spendy, due mostly to time constraints I think.  I don't shop at a grocery store unless it is between work and home.  I spend money on pre chopped mirepoix, rather than chopping myself, again to save time, yada, yada.

I'm at about 22% home equity, the rest retirement type savings.  Unfortunately, I don't see myself being able to retire until my house is paid off.  I've got 8.5 more years to go.  I live in a fairly HCOL area and my 1080 squares costs me just over $3000 a month for PITI.  I work in a dying industry and I hope to ride this train til the end, but it's possible we won't make it for those 8.5 years.  If that happens, I'll explore moving to a LCOL area and calling it a day, healthcare willing.

You have done superbly well.. 99% of the population will never be in your position.. Very well done!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1568 on: July 15, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »
I received notice that I just got my first patent!  It is work related, but still pretty cool!

MoMan

• Stubble
I need a new calculator!! (7-figure-'stache)
« Reply #1569 on: July 17, 2017, 07:37:44 AM »
It's official! I added up my investable assets and the total this morning crossed the one-million mark. That is one digit more (with the penny decimal places) than my puny, handheld calculator will display.

Alas, it is temporary: 2 weeks ago I was informed that two of my older root canals were failing and must be replaced with implants. Total bill: $12k before insurance (which may cover up to $2.5k). But that is just the reason we all strive to maintain proper emergency savings, so now I will reluctantly dip into my HSA for the first time ever.

Also, for reference to younger folks who might feel $1M is unobtainable:
I am 52 years old. My savings rate is currently about 37%. Base salary $68k. No kids, no dependents and my only debt is $10k left on the mortgage. Many of you are likely in a better position than I was at your age. 

--M

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
Re: I need a new calculator!! (7-figure-'stache)
« Reply #1570 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
It's official! I added up my investable assets and the total this morning crossed the one-million mark. That is one digit more (with the penny decimal places) than my puny, handheld calculator will display.

Alas, it is temporary: 2 weeks ago I was informed that two of my older root canals were failing and must be replaced with implants. Total bill: $12k before insurance (which may cover up to $2.5k). But that is just the reason we all strive to maintain proper emergency savings, so now I will reluctantly dip into my HSA for the first time ever.

Also, for reference to younger folks who might feel $1M is unobtainable:
I am 52 years old. My savings rate is currently about 37%. Base salary $68k. No kids, no dependents and my only debt is $10k left on the mortgage. Many of you are likely in a better position than I was at your age. 

--M

Congrats on the $1M...Have you thought of taking a trip abroad for the implants?.. lots of references should be available for great foreign dentists in Thailand, Mexico etc.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #1571 on: July 17, 2017, 11:09:46 AM »
You have done superbly well.. 99% of the population will never be in your position.. Very well done!

Thank you!  I really appreciate where I am, it feels like a relief.

MoMan

• Stubble
Re: I need a new calculator!! (7-figure-'stache)
« Reply #1572 on: July 17, 2017, 02:02:38 PM »
Have you thought of taking a trip abroad for the implants?

The deed is already done and the credit card already charged.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1573 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
Congrats all you new millionaires!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1574 on: July 19, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »
Ok, this is dumb, but for me it counts. I finally live somewhere where I can post on FB that I could use a 2nd pair of hands for 5 minutes on a Saturday to help me do something really easy, and I got a response within 10 minutes from a friend, she's coming tomorrow. And another friend posted 5 minutes later that if it falls through, he'll turn up.

I love having friends near me :)
I am happy for you - friends nearby make a huge difference.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #1575 on: July 20, 2017, 06:44:17 AM »
I received notice that I just got my first patent!  It is work related, but still pretty cool!

This is the coolest thing ever.  This was on my bucket list when I was a young engineer, but I never made it happen.  Good for you!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1576 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:34 PM »
Hit $100k stash!  (It may be back to $99.9k after the markets close this afternoon.)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1577 on: July 21, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »
Hit $100k stash!  (It may be back to $99.9k after the markets close this afternoon.)

Great! You'll be surprised how fast the next $100k will go.  (And let's hope your stash goes back down so your next purchase is cheaper!)

GettingThere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
4 days from my 40th birthday
« Reply #1578 on: August 04, 2017, 07:51:55 AM »
crossed this symbolic threshold for the first time

If you are wondering why debts is positive, I overpaid my credit card by 7$!

Yay! already semi retired but this feels great!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1579 on: August 10, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »

Great! You'll be surprised how fast the next $100k will go.  (And let's hope your stash goes back down so your next purchase is cheaper!)

Back under $100k! Do I get to celebrate twice?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1580 on: August 10, 2017, 04:59:58 PM »

Back under $100k! Do I get to celebrate twice?
Hell yeah you do!

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1581 on: August 10, 2017, 09:24:31 PM »
Gave notice to my employer, 7 weeks to go.  FIRE is getting real!  Very exciting!

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1582 on: August 11, 2017, 12:53:48 AM »
Gave notice to my employer, 7 weeks to go.  FIRE is getting real!  Very exciting!

Congrats! On to a brave new life!

I just made a spreadsheet to keep track of my net worth. It looks barren with only today's data entries, but it's a start!

hred17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1583 on: August 14, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
I am still processing the offer for a new job I received on Friday after a 3-month long interviewing process. I think I am still a bit in shock!

I will be increasing my base salary by $55k (yes, $55k!), I will receive an annual bonus up to and possibly exceeding 30% of my base with an equal amount of RSUs on top of that on a relatively quick vesting schedule, all topped off with amazing benefits.

I have been working for a terrible boss for awhile now. On top of that, the job I am in now was completely misrepresented to me (as was it's earning potential) when I was being recruited for it and I quickly realized I was overqualified and severely underpaid (and under appreciated) once I was in the role.

I am so proud of myself for knowing my worth and fighting for it. This new job and salary will be a complete game-changer for my family and our FI future. I am pretty damn happy right now! I will officially be accepting the offer today. :)

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1584 on: August 14, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »
Wow, hred17!  Amazing.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1585 on: August 14, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »
I am still processing the offer for a new job I received on Friday after a 3-month long interviewing process. I think I am still a bit in shock!

I will be increasing my base salary by $55k (yes, $55k!), I will receive an annual bonus up to and possibly exceeding 30% of my base with an equal amount of RSUs on top of that on a relatively quick vesting schedule, all topped off with amazing benefits.

I have been working for a terrible boss for awhile now. On top of that, the job I am in now was completely misrepresented to me (as was it's earning potential) when I was being recruited for it and I quickly realized I was overqualified and severely underpaid (and under appreciated) once I was in the role.

I am so proud of myself for knowing my worth and fighting for it. This new job and salary will be a complete game-changer for my family and our FI future. I am pretty damn happy right now! I will officially be accepting the offer today. :)

Kudos!

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1586 on: August 15, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
Fantastic news, congratulations. I hope you love it.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1587 on: August 18, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
Got my tax assessment today and I have officially paid off my HECS! (Australian student loan system).

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1588 on: August 18, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
Got my tax assessment today and I have officially paid off my HECS! (Australian student loan system).

Congrats!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1589 on: August 20, 2017, 02:10:18 AM »
My net invested assets (non-house, non-super) went over $250,000 the past week.

We need a system that sets off alarm bells an balloon drops for each milestone

Maybe someone can start a celebrations thread!

Ps congrats Marty, the guy who started it all

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1590 on: August 23, 2017, 02:02:24 PM »
Analyze my signature line.

FIRE'd

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1591 on: August 23, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »
Whooooooooop! Whooooooooop! Whooooooooop! Whoooooooop!  (Kinda like the NY stock exchange floor before a holiday weekend)

:)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1592 on: August 24, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »

After some back and forth with market fluctuations, contributions have pushed me over $100k a bit more firmly now.  If the markets drop >1% again, I'll be very close to $99.9K again though.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #1593 on: August 24, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
Congrats to both of you, FIRE'd is an incredible milestone and I hope you celebrate in your favorite way.

100K is what I'm shooting at right now too, congratulations on making it!

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #1594 on: September 08, 2017, 04:24:52 AM »
I finally have stubble!!!!!

I only had a 5-o-clock shadow for AGES.....

Geophine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1595 on: September 10, 2017, 08:20:39 AM »
Hey y'all!

I cut my weekly food budget in half by cooking for myself and bringing lunch to work

Congrats to the recently FIRE'd ppl. You are my heroes!!

Analyze my signature line.

FIRE'd

Geophine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1596 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:36 AM »
got another little success to share. I was looking for this book and usually I would just go and buy it online or in a bookstore. But this time I first went to the library and when I couldn't find it there I looked for a free pdf version online and actually found one!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1597 on: September 11, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »
My net invested assets (non-house, non-super) went over $250,000 the past week.

We need a system that sets off alarm bells an balloon drops for each milestone

Maybe someone can start a celebrations thread!

Ps congrats Marty, the guy who started it all

Your recall is amazing.

Congrats marty!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1598 on: September 11, 2017, 11:17:52 PM »
Two commas.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1599 on: September 12, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.