Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648212 times)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1350 on: October 04, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »
I turned 30 last week. And yesterday, I officially became an adult (in my book) by opening my first non-tax advantaged investing account with Questrade. Have yet to make the small 4k deposit into it that I want to do, but still, I'm very happy with this present to myself.

Congrats and happy birthday!

Thank-you!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1351 on: October 05, 2016, 09:27:13 AM »
Just maxed out RRSP and TFSA this year. First time ever!

Want to save up 5500 for TFSA by the end of the year, and have a couple other savings goals for post-FIRE plans (like buying a camper).
Planning on opening my first non-tax-advantaged investment account early in the new year. :)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: October 05, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
I hit my $400,000.00 in investments goal for the year.  The market sure helped!  So nice to be heading towards $500,000.00.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1353 on: October 08, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »
Re-ran my numbers this weekend as a few small things have changed in my financial situation recently.

The results are SO MUCH better than when I first made my spreadsheet a year and a half ago. And the assumptions I used about income and savings are even more conservative. Can't believe it!

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1354 on: October 11, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
Use this thread to post your mini-accomplishments so we can celebrate with you!

If you have a bigger accomplishment, feel free to start your own thread in the Share Your Badassity section of the forums, but for small milestones, things you just want to share with someone, but don't really have anyone to share it with (besides maybe your partner), toss em out there so we can celebrate with you!
Here I go !!! Here is my mini accomplishment !!! I paid off my $115,000 30 year mortgage in ONLY 23 short months !!! It feels good to be finally debt free !!! Thanks for listening !!!

WOW Congrats :-)

MrSwayze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1355 on: October 22, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »
I'm still a noob, but I finally hit over 10k in my RRSP'S, it's taken me longer than I had hoped, but I've bought myself and the GF bicycles so we can start getting to work by bike 10km round trip and also get groceries.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #1356 on: October 26, 2016, 06:43:59 AM »
Another one, but this time not about investments!

Last week I accepted a roll out of our company "graduate program" which means a position change and a raise meaning a additional....... 23k/yr!!!!!!

Considering we had a 40% savings rate up until now, this new raise should really bump it up!

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1357 on: October 26, 2016, 09:28:30 AM »
I paid off my car yesterday! I took out a $10k loan last July and have been throwing money at it for 15 months and now it's gone! Not bad on $36k a year gross ;) Now the plan is to open a roth IRA before the end of the year and start throwing all that money at it instead- I can't wait!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1358 on: October 26, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »
Two for me this month:

Paid off the last of my student debt ($15k total).

Started a new job, earning an extra $9k a year.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1359 on: October 28, 2016, 05:15:47 AM »
Congratulations everyone.

Its been a while since I posted on this thread. But today's the day, my mortgage is 99k, i.e. below 100k. Its been a milestone I've been looking forward to. Started MMM 4 years and 10 months ago with 371k in debt, now <100k. Its all happening!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1360 on: October 28, 2016, 05:42:22 AM »
Congratulations everyone.

Its been a while since I posted on this thread. But today's the day, my mortgage is 99k, i.e. below 100k. Its been a milestone I've been looking forward to. Started MMM 4 years and 10 months ago with 371k in debt, now <100k. Its all happening!

Yaaaaay!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1361 on: October 28, 2016, 07:51:21 AM »
Started MMM 4 years and 10 months ago with 371k in debt, now <100k. Its all happening!

Nice!  You must be happy.

...I'll be here all week.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1362 on: October 28, 2016, 08:11:36 AM »
Woo hoo! I've just reached my coast rate for 60 years old. Meaning, if I don't contribute another dollar to my retirement accounts I can still retire at 60 with my planned post-retirement withdrawal rate! And that's if the market performs with only an average 5% return. I'm of course still contributing but my coast rate a few years back would have had me working until nearly 70, so that's a vast improvement!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1363 on: October 28, 2016, 08:14:17 AM »
Woo hoo! I've just reached my coast rate for 60 years old. Meaning, if I don't contribute another dollar to my retirement accounts I can still retire at 60 with my planned post-retirement withdrawal rate! And that's if the market performs with only an average 5% return. I'm of course still contributing but my coast rate a few years back would have had me working until nearly 70, so that's a vast improvement!

Congrats!  How do you calculate that?  Just take current saving, assume 5% growth and 4% withdrawal?

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1364 on: October 28, 2016, 10:39:04 AM »
Pretty much that, yes. And also figure in my wife's little pension and 70% of our currently projected SS benefits (to be in the safe side).

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1365 on: November 01, 2016, 08:12:54 AM »
Bought my first ETFs in a non-registered account this morning! Yay!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1366 on: November 01, 2016, 09:03:21 AM »
My cat's heart murmur is innocent!!!
I'm incredibly relieved. :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1367 on: November 01, 2016, 09:13:09 AM »

YAY!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1368 on: November 01, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »

That's good to hear.

On an unrelated note, October was our second lowest spending month in the two years that we've been tracking. 

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #1369 on: November 01, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
I have finally been selected, confirmed, and cut orders for a fairly competitive and selective assignment in the White House. I know some of you know I had been planning on doing it for quite some time, but it is not real until there are orders in hand. I'm pretty excited to be honest.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: November 02, 2016, 06:52:10 AM »
I have finally been selected, confirmed, and cut orders for a fairly competitive and selective assignment in the White House.

Wow!  Congratulations.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #1371 on: November 02, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
I have finally been selected, confirmed, and cut orders for a fairly competitive and selective assignment in the White House.

Wow!  Congratulations.

Thanks! I have more or less known it is going to happen for quite some time, however, it isn't real until you are cut orders. I am pretty stoked.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1372 on: November 02, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
Hey, check out my new 'scratch!

Level up!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1373 on: November 14, 2016, 11:13:50 AM »
Woo, just hit net worth of $100k ahead of schedule!

15.2k in Roth IRA
33.6k in 401k
8.5k in HSA
26.1k in taxable investments
15k cash emergency fund (currently sitting in my husband's Chase account for the $200 opening bonus, then I will do the same when his waiting period is up)
1.7k misc cash

I'm on year 2 of accruing $50k+/year.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1374 on: November 15, 2016, 03:01:18 PM »
Woo, just hit net worth of $100k ahead of schedule!

15.2k in Roth IRA
33.6k in 401k
8.5k in HSA
26.1k in taxable investments
15k cash emergency fund (currently sitting in my husband's Chase account for the $200 opening bonus, then I will do the same when his waiting period is up)
1.7k misc cash

I'm on year 2 of accruing $50k+/year.

Nice.  You've got the snowball rolling now.

hucktard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1375 on: November 22, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
I just roughly calculated my net worth, and I think the wife and I combined are a little over 500K. I think we will need a NW of about 1.5M to FIRE and I think we can get there in maybe 5-7 years. It keeps happening faster than I thought it would though so I might be pleasantly surprised, I hope. Spending less money is awesome, but I have to say that making more money is awesomer.

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1376 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
Total Balance of Retirement Accounts: $100,046.93

Made it into 6 figures! Yeah!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #1377 on: November 22, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »
I made my first revenue at my new business!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1378 on: November 22, 2016, 03:02:17 PM »
So much good news!! So happy for all of you guys!!

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #1379 on: November 27, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Today is my official first day of MMM stuff, but my husband and I made a decision NOT to go out to eat after church today. We have went out for probably 5 years, either with my parents, another family or just our family. The kids were a bit confused, but we had a very nice lunch, using deer meat my 10 year old daughter harvested about 2 weeks ago, salsa I had canned from our garden, and various others yummies that made nice tacos. So day 1 ( or at least half of it) has been a success.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1380 on: November 27, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »
Anybody else with young adult children that you've tried to influence to embrace the MMM way?  I'm just THRILLED that my kid just sent me this text:
"My investment portfolio made 6$"
OMG! She was listening!   😆

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1381 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:42 PM »
Today is my official first day of MMM stuff, but my husband and I made a decision NOT to go out to eat after church today. We have went out for probably 5 years, either with my parents, another family or just our family. The kids were a bit confused, but we had a very nice lunch, using deer meat my 10 year old daughter harvested about 2 weeks ago, salsa I had canned from our garden, and various others yummies that made nice tacos. So day 1 ( or at least half of it) has been a success.

This is a big step! in 6 months you'll have a conversation along the lines of "Remember when we used to go out after church? Why did we do that!?!?!"

Have fun with it - get the kids planning lunch before you head to church, do some picnics, take lunch to shutin. No reason not to make it an important part of your weekend routine!

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #1382 on: November 28, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »

This is a big step! in 6 months you'll have a conversation along the lines of "Remember when we used to go out after church? Why did we do that!?!?!"

Thanks for your encouragement. It actually is a bit shocking how much money has been spent through the years, just on that one meal per week. For a semi nice sit down meal for the 5 of us it would easily be $50. We are planning a chili lunch next week for ourselves and another couple at our home. We have the stuff for chili, they are bringing a dessert and crackers.
Have fun with it - get the kids planning lunch before you head to church, do some picnics, take lunch to shutin. No reason not to make it an important part of your weekend routine!

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1383 on: November 28, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »
Yay! $100,133 in the 403(b)! 

Of course the market'll change that by tomorrow but I'm counting it! I'll be back to that with my next check even with a bit of a downturn.

Archivist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1384 on: November 29, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
I'm going to make my final student loan payment this week, and just to make it poetic, I'm going to do it on my birthday, which is this Thursday. That's 40k paid down over 13 months! I can't wait to be debt free and able to see past this hurdle.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1385 on: December 01, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »
I did my 100-250K race based on total NW, but just noticed we hit 250K just in TSP/IRA the other day... closer to 350 in total and adding faster than ever.

But the real celebration today is, we just decided DW can quit FT work and go freelance whenever she wants. She will probably do it in mid-Jan. Ultimately this could delay me for a few months, but it's a rounding error in the grand scheme. She's been miserable and I even encouraged her to do this a couple of times recently... I'm incredibly happy to be able to support this move, and look forward to joining her as a PT guy in 6-8mos.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1386 on: December 01, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »
I'm going to make my final student loan payment this week, and just to make it poetic, I'm going to do it on my birthday, which is this Thursday. That's 40k paid down over 13 months! I can't wait to be debt free and able to see past this hurdle.

Awesome!  And Happy Birthday!

givemesunshine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1387 on: December 01, 2016, 11:00:15 PM »
Just signed the dotted line for another pay rise - up 8.5K per annum. Happy days. May even get another 2-5K in January. Savings rate can now shift up to 47.5%.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #1388 on: December 02, 2016, 06:06:57 AM »
Just passed two years of bike commuting... which lines up with me finding MMM about two years ago.

Since then - out of debt, maxed IRAs this year and last year, investing in taxable accounts, and while not really on the path to FIRE any time soon what I've learned here will give us freedom to pursue things we are passionate about doing while still being able to spend time with our kids during their younger years.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1389 on: December 02, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »
Just passed two years of bike commuting... which lines up with me finding MMM about two years ago.

Since then - out of debt, maxed IRAs this year and last year, investing in taxable accounts, and while not really on the path to FIRE any time soon what I've learned here will give us freedom to pursue things we are passionate about doing while still being able to spend time with our kids during their younger years.

I miss bike commuting.  I used to at my last job, but I still haven't psyched myself up to getting up earlier and braving white-knuckle traffic for the 8 mile commute here. 

chloe1733

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1390 on: December 06, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
As of today, our total debt (75% is our mortgage, 25% is student loans at a very low rate) is now under 100k!!! We carry no credit card debt or car payments.

At our current rate, we'll pay off the house in a little less than two years, and the student loans shortly after that. Very excited :)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1391 on: December 07, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »
As of today, our total debt (75% is our mortgage, 25% is student loans at a very low rate) is now under 100k!!! We carry no credit card debt or car payments.

At our current rate, we'll pay off the house in a little less than two years, and the student loans shortly after that. Very excited :)

Congrats.  where do you live that student loan interest rates are cheaper than mortgage interest rates?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1392 on: December 09, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »
I have a few different financial accounts (trad IRA, Roth, brokerage, checking acct) and one of them just crossed $100,000 for the first time ever. :-)

multi-vitamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1393 on: December 11, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
Just paid off my car!  Now I can focus on building my emergency fund up to 6 months.

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1394 on: December 12, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »
Just paid off my car!  Now I can focus on building my emergency fund up to 6 months.

High five!

Mossy 757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1395 on: December 12, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »
Just discussed a new job/raise with my CEO. Even without bonuses (which will now be 5k per quarter!) 6.5 years just disappeared from my working life...*POOF!*

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1396 on: December 14, 2016, 03:11:26 AM »
Woo hoo, sounds great!

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1397 on: December 17, 2016, 08:49:26 AM »
5 months into the "plan"  35593 dollars saved at a rate of 61,4% of our income. All our computers are now 8 years old and not working very well, we might buy an imac and drop down to 57,3% savingsrate. Yes its stupid, should rather buy a used one for 200 dollars, but anyhow its gonna be the christmas gift for the family and 57,3% i ok rate.

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #1398 on: December 17, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
Found out Thursday that I'm getting a 6% raise and my firm is doubling their contribution to my 401k!

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #1399 on: December 29, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »
Just paid off car (early) and will roll that into house payment.  Paid off the wife's car (early) two months ago.  Only debt left is a fairly low remaining balance on my wife's small student loan (from long ago when the rates were low), and the house.  House will be paid off in less than 4 years. 

NW grew by more than 100k in 2016 which is roughly a 40% increase.  I know this growth rate isn't likely to continue but wow, we are really on a roll. 

March will mark 2 years since finding MMM and the change in my attitude and happiness at work and at home is almost as noticeable as the change in the spreadsheet!  Thanks for taking the time to write this stuff down Pete!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:09:39 AM by FrogStash »