Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648269 times)

sw1tch

• Bristles
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1200 on: February 01, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
Posting to subscribe.  Will eventually post some celebrations.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1201 on: February 01, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
Our raises have kicked in so now I will have extra money to invest in something or other..My check went up $58!  Now to decide who to feed and when to feed them...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1202 on: February 01, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
I love coupons!

Successfully used the co-pay assistance coupon on our prescription medication to fully cover our mandatory $6,000 HDHP out-of-pocket for 2016.  Woo hoo!!!

$102 is going to be our monthly average cost for family of 5, 100% BCBS PPO in 2016.   

$264    monthly premium
     3    (2 $20 copays for DH's prescription with co-pay assistance averaged over 12 months. Monthly prescription cost is $4,000, with copay of up to $12,000 per year.)
(82)     Annual credit for DH opting out of medical coverage with his employer
(83)     $1,000 my company's contribution to the Health Savings Account
$102 effective monthly cost

Plus, I signed up for the max $5,750 allowed HSA family contribution again.  (I sign up every year just in case they change the rules on the coupon deal and I have to pay the $6,000 deductible myself.)  By the end of this year, our kids' braces will be fully funded with pre-tax HSA accounts for when they need them. 

Now I need to figure out 2015's contributions on Turbo Tax because I don't think my employer reported them correctly on my W-2, or I didn't report them correctly in Turbo Tax.....But that is another forum topic! :-)

TooManyGuitars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1203 on: February 02, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
A new school year is underway this week which includes a new school for my 2 kids - a free public school this year, after spending $30k over the last 2 years having them in a fancy private montessori school.  Thrilled to have convinced the wife of this. 

The money saved (~$1200/mo) is already channeled into savings.  2016 should see our net worth increase substantially!

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1204 on: February 03, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »
There's been a lot of forward momentum in the last couple of months and a lot has happened since the first post I made here about buying a HUD foreclosure with cash as an "F-U" to the bank when they refused to refi our high-rate mortgage for our current home. Here's what I'm cheering about now:

*cut the weekly food budget by more than $100 (more than $400 in savings each month). Still room for improvement here, though
*cut the cell bill by about $100/month
*sold more excess crap around the house
*took all this money saved plus other savings and invested in an REIT - first time doing this!

Now I'm working on rolling some old 401k's with high fees into Vanguard. Have the account set up, now it's just paperwork and $ transfer.

Extra good news? We got a smallish refund from our mortgage tax escrow (off to savings you go!). And...Just found out my SO will be getting a bonus from work. Don't know what it will be until next month, but they had the highest profits in their company history, so hoping that will trickle down to us nicely.

Still prepping current house for sale this spring (to dump the mortgage). BTW, the walk score in our new neighborhood is 76! Oh yeah!

Sometimes all the hard work seems so slow, and then BAM! All the good hits at once!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1205 on: February 06, 2016, 11:49:11 AM »
I had my taxes done today and my accountant informed me I could claim my brother as a dependent and get another $1250.00 back on my taxes!

Whoot! That will pay for my camping trip to Valley of Fire this spring.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #1206 on: February 10, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
Turned the fucking corner.

In the summer of 2014, we were drowning. All the credit cards were maxed, payments on them and various other loans were sucking down all my income, and at the end of the month I felt like a piece of shit because I couldn't afford to buy a banana for my kids. It looked like not only would we never be rich, but we'd be on the treadmill forever. Eventually somehow I realized the only way out was to pay off the debt.

Sold a bunch of stuff. Canceled many money-sinks like cable, magazine subscriptions, clubs, etc. Sold more stuff. Wife got a job. I worked a little bit extra outside my main job. Sold even more stuff. Paid off over $110k in debt over the last year and a half. Late in 2015, I started to be amazed how rapidly the cash began to build up in the bank account now that there were so many fewer payments. Accelerated debt payoff.

Refi'd 19k of student loans, approved for 2.1% by SoFi. Once that refi is finalized, we will slow-roll finishing paying those. Only remaining debt is 8k on a car at 3.75%, and our mortgage which is at the same interest rate. Car loan will be gone by May; I'm prioritizing cash into 2015 IRA contributions until April (3k of 11k invested so far). I know we weren't debt free just yet but knowing that we will be soon I wanted to cheat and start investing sooner, ha ha.

By the end of the year I want us to have put 22k into IRAs (5.5 each for 2015 and 2016 for myself and wife) plus 18k into my TSP. She has a 403b that she puts into up to the match, but is planning on quitting to be a SAHM again before the end of the summer.

Back when we decided to get serious about destroying our debt and becoming rich, I told my wife that by the end of 2017 we would have $50k saved/invested. She didn't believe me and said that was impossible. Ha, we're on track to blow that figure away by then. Looking at years after that I get dizzy thinking about the numbers, when just a short time ago it looked like we were up the creek.

Still revising our goals now that I've gotten smarter about finance and investing (been reading and studying everything I could over the last year) and have realized what we're capable of. Hoping to fire in late 2025 with my military pension (expected to be 50k in todays dollars) plus a stash of at least $500k. I think we can do even better than that.

Holy fucking shit. We are gonna win.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1207 on: February 10, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
^^ That is awesome! ^^  Congrats on the huge turnaround!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1208 on: February 11, 2016, 05:35:08 AM »
Awesome! That's inspiring, good for you..

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1209 on: February 11, 2016, 07:47:47 AM »
Turned the fucking corner.

In the summer of 2014, we were drowning. All the credit cards were maxed, payments on them and various other loans were sucking down all my income, and at the end of the month I felt like a piece of shit because I couldn't afford to buy a banana for my kids. It looked like not only would we never be rich, but we'd be on the treadmill forever. Eventually somehow I realized the only way out was to pay off the debt.

Sold a bunch of stuff. Canceled many money-sinks like cable, magazine subscriptions, clubs, etc. Sold more stuff. Wife got a job. I worked a little bit extra outside my main job. Sold even more stuff. Paid off over $110k in debt over the last year and a half. Late in 2015, I started to be amazed how rapidly the cash began to build up in the bank account now that there were so many fewer payments. Accelerated debt payoff.

Refi'd 19k of student loans, approved for 2.1% by SoFi. Once that refi is finalized, we will slow-roll finishing paying those. Only remaining debt is 8k on a car at 3.75%, and our mortgage which is at the same interest rate. Car loan will be gone by May; I'm prioritizing cash into 2015 IRA contributions until April (3k of 11k invested so far). I know we weren't debt free just yet but knowing that we will be soon I wanted to cheat and start investing sooner, ha ha.

By the end of the year I want us to have put 22k into IRAs (5.5 each for 2015 and 2016 for myself and wife) plus 18k into my TSP. She has a 403b that she puts into up to the match, but is planning on quitting to be a SAHM again before the end of the summer.

Back when we decided to get serious about destroying our debt and becoming rich, I told my wife that by the end of 2017 we would have $50k saved/invested. She didn't believe me and said that was impossible. Ha, we're on track to blow that figure away by then. Looking at years after that I get dizzy thinking about the numbers, when just a short time ago it looked like we were up the creek.

Still revising our goals now that I've gotten smarter about finance and investing (been reading and studying everything I could over the last year) and have realized what we're capable of. Hoping to fire in late 2025 with my military pension (expected to be 50k in todays dollars) plus a stash of at least $500k. I think we can do even better than that.

Wow, that's a great story!

Well done taking charge!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1210 on: February 11, 2016, 03:27:06 PM »
Awesome! Keep it up!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1211 on: February 19, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
got an $8000 bonus today, WHOOT!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #1212 on: February 19, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »

That is awesome! Any special plans for that sweet sweet cash?

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1213 on: February 19, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »

Throwin' it on the FIRE baby!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #1214 on: February 19, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »

So basically its for freedom right? ;)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1215 on: February 19, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »

So basically its for freedom right? ;)

I'm getting close enough to smell the fresh air now, it's intoxicating!

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #1216 on: February 19, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
It's awesome how the more you save, the more opportunities you find for additional savings. The exact opposite of being in debt.

Today I logged into my homeowners insurance. I checked my deductible and saw it was $2700 which is 1% of my home value. I had changed it to that from $1k last year when we were clawing our way out of the hole. Looking at the deductible amount, I thought, hell, that's too low, I can pay that easy with cash on hand! So I raised it to $5000. I could take it as high as $10k, but I'll do that once we've moved a few more rungs up the ladder. Saved a couple hundred a year.

EcoCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1217 on: February 20, 2016, 01:28:37 AM »
Congratulations to all of the amazing accomplishments! I have randomly been going through different pages for motivational nudges here and there.

Minor: I turned down a car from my company where I would have had to have paid for insurance, gas and parking and instead have joined their commuter bus program. Now I get to save, nap a bit in the car/read/socialize every day.

Major: We just reached our 2 year savings goal! With a new job I started we are on track to save what we saved in 2 years in 1 year, doubling our substantial savings. Improved our savings rate from 60% to low 70’s. This won’t be maintainable due to some impending life events but should settle to a strong 60%.

EcoCanuck

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1218 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »
My SO (who is decidedly NOT so frugal) has been watching me change all kinds of money habits over the last year and *offered* an old coin collection to be cashed in. Most of the coins are really just face value, but the big win is seeing a slight shift in thinking. No longer a massive consume and waste factory, I'm noticing much less eating out, fewer trips to the mall (thank god for that!), and better choices all around :)

The 300+ cash in coins went immediately to investments, and the more valuable ones we'll find the value on and sell. They're some really old silver dollars and should bring in another several hundred.

Every little bit is a step closer to freedom - seems to be my theme!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1219 on: February 23, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »
I just found out we are supposed to be receiving bonuses from 1 to 3% sometime this week I believe.  I am allocating one third to outstanding debt, one third to savings or stocks and one third or less to either splurge on a book that interests me or absolutely nothing so that Digit or Acorns will skim it automatically.
 The book in question is only $12 used so no facepunches? Please?

del84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1220 on: February 23, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »
Had a couple recent celebrations.

I had refinanced my mortgage back in December 2015. This brought my interest rate down from 4.39% to 3.99% (Australia). They also offered $2,000 cashback incentive for the refinance and it only cost about $900 to change, so I also essentially got paid $1,100 to go to a lower interest rate. At the time this was about the lowest interest rate going.

This month, the bank just increased the rate by 0.2% making it 4.19% (other banks will no doubt follow suit soon), but on their website they were offering 4.09% to attract new customers. I complained to the bank saying I had only been with them less than 2 months and i'm no longer getting a "new customer" rate, so they dropped my rate back down to 4.09%.

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #1221 on: February 24, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »
I good year end review led to a maxed out raise (4%) and bonus ($13,000 net after taxes and 401k etc.).  But the real celebration is that the net worth number crossed over $300,000!

I accidentally ran across my first MMM article just over a year ago and it has changed my life.  I only wish I found it sooner. 

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1222 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »
Had a couple recent celebrations.

I had refinanced my mortgage back in December 2015. This brought my interest rate down from 4.39% to 3.99% (Australia). They also offered $2,000 cashback incentive for the refinance and it only cost about $900 to change, so I also essentially got paid $1,100 to go to a lower interest rate. At the time this was about the lowest interest rate going.

This month, the bank just increased the rate by 0.2% making it 4.19% (other banks will no doubt follow suit soon), but on their website they were offering 4.09% to attract new customers. I complained to the bank saying I had only been with them less than 2 months and i'm no longer getting a "new customer" rate, so they dropped my rate back down to 4.09%.

Very clever! Folks don't realize many things are negotiable...even a bank's definition of a "new customer".

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1223 on: March 01, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
Ok, so these are probably fairly pathetic reasons to celebrate from many folks perspectives (disclaimer: we are starting over after semi-voluntary career changes). They make me happy though!

- We have gained 8-9 more months to rebuild our lives without running out of money (as of November 2015, we were on target to be bankrupt March 2016. A lot of hustling, optimizing and selling excess stuff has moved that date back to December 2016 or later). My current biggest triumph.

- We paid off all but one debt completely last fall and are still paying more than the minimums on our remaining credit card debt. Ok, it's not as great as paying it off but every dollar over the minimum is fantastic.

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1224 on: March 04, 2016, 07:44:09 PM »
Since I found MMM a couple of weeks ago, I've read as much as I could handle on all of the advice he and other bloggers offer. Following MMM's advice, I opened up a Betterment account and this week put in my first $100 into a "safety net" account, and $250 into a Roth IRA. I'm still in college and I don't make a lot of money yet, but this is a big deal for me!

My plan for now is to put $100 each month into the safety net account, and $20 into the IRA. Once I have a better paying job after I graduate, I'll be saving and investing a lot more than that.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1225 on: March 05, 2016, 06:54:12 AM »
Since I found MMM a couple of weeks ago, I've read as much as I could handle on all of the advice he and other bloggers offer. Following MMM's advice, I opened up a Betterment account and this week put in my first $100 into a "safety net" account, and $250 into a Roth IRA. I'm still in college and I don't make a lot of money yet, but this is a big deal for me!

My plan for now is to put $100 each month into the safety net account, and $20 into the IRA. Once I have a better paying job after I graduate, I'll be saving and investing a lot more than that.
Nicely done!  Starting and a plan are 90% of the effort.  Follow-through comes next and all those temptations...:)

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #1226 on: March 07, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »
Keep it up ElGrillo! That's a great start!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1227 on: March 10, 2016, 09:36:20 AM »
I used to collect Barbies during the worst of my pre-Mustachian days.  While getting rid of a great many of them through toy drives I kept some of them I thought might appreciate in value.  I checked the value of two of my silkstone and found their combined worth is $248 therefore adding a small bit to my net worth...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1228 on: March 12, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
My net worth just broke $30k!!!

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #1229 on: March 13, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »
Just started working in earnest in January to get my financial life in order. I was feeling burned out this month. I've been working hard at reducing debt, but it feels like I have so far to go and I'm wading through quicksand to get there. So I took a peek at my spreadsheets today. Since January 1, I've paid off $7500 in debt (that's about 62% of my take home pay). I had no idea it was so much! On top of that, if I can keep up this pace I'll be debt free in 1 year instead of 18 months. Small victories :)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1230 on: March 13, 2016, 07:28:23 PM »
That is not a small victory!  That's a pretty big victory.

bittheory

• Stubble
« Reply #1231 on: March 14, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »
Just started working in earnest in January to get my financial life in order. I was feeling burned out this month. I've been working hard at reducing debt, but it feels like I have so far to go and I'm wading through quicksand to get there. So I took a peek at my spreadsheets today. Since January 1, I've paid off $7500 in debt (that's about 62% of my take home pay). I had no idea it was so much! On top of that, if I can keep up this pace I'll be debt free in 1 year instead of 18 months. Small victories :)

A massive victory. Seriously impressive. After you're debt free, you'll be FIRE'd in no time at a pace like that.

viverl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1232 on: March 15, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
So I haven't been here lately but I had to come here to celebrate - I just received a statement that I am no longer in debt! :-D :-D
 I was able to pay back my student loans in one month and now I am free :-D
(Please note, I am not from the US and my country does not try to cripple me into debt for a lifetime, it was "only" 10.000 €)

I am so happy!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1233 on: March 15, 2016, 06:05:51 PM »
Congratulations Viveri, Debt free feels great!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1234 on: March 16, 2016, 08:04:55 PM »
My net worth just broke $30k!!!

Go Sibley!!!! Congrats!!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1235 on: March 17, 2016, 09:18:41 AM »
I funded most of my 2016 IRA today -- waiting for state tax refunds or a couple more paychecks to arrive and I'll knock out the last $1500. :)

Lifestyle Deflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1236 on: March 17, 2016, 04:30:47 PM »
A few weeks ago my "stash" reached $100,000... that was a cool moment.

I actually almost hit $100k last year (got up to 97k or so), but then I liquidated a bunch of stock for a house down payment, which brought the stash back down to under 40k. So it feels good to finally be "back."

They say the first 100k is the hardest, let's hope that is true!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1237 on: March 17, 2016, 04:42:14 PM »
This doesn't have a whole lot to do with MMM, but today the most toxic person I've ever worked for (in my grown up law career, at least) moved off the project I've been working for her on.  I don't think she's an evil person, but she had me seriously contemplating whether I could get anesthesia and break my own arm to avoid continuing the project, and the poor junior employee under me has called me incoherently sobbing more or less monthly since we started working for her.

I am literally grinning like a crazy person in my empty office, despite having been in the office 17-22 hours a day every day all week, and having worked 8+ hours each of hte last three Saturdays and Sundays. 

McGeens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1238 on: March 18, 2016, 04:21:14 AM »
Three celebrations at our place over the past little while. The big one is that we paid our (big Australian) mortgage off in January. Ages 33 & 39, and the house is now worth about $500k. We worked towards that goal for four years, pretty intensely. Now it's gone gone gone!! And along the way had two babies and I've only been working a few days a week at most.

This has freed us up to max out our superannuation (retirement) for the first time this financial year.

And today I made my first ever stock purchase. It was quite intimidating, and I had to ring up the helpline for some remedial training- lol! But it all worked and I'm still the proud owner of a $5k parcel of VAS :-) the start of a beautiful relationship, I hope!

Definitely couldn't and wouldn't have done any of this without MMM and this wonderful forum- thanks everyone!!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1239 on: March 18, 2016, 10:11:20 AM »
DH's bonus came in and we're sitting on a $53K check amount!! We've got enough to pay off the FIRE house mortgage!! (At 4.625% rate, but it's worth it for the peace of mind....). Other plans include putting some into the kids' college funds. 

We went over $1.2M net worth (includes house) too.

Off to rerun time to FIRE spreadsheet.  We have quite unmustachian spending levels for those who say "quit today"....

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1240 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:34 AM »
Wohoo! 59% savings rate this month.  :)

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #1241 on: March 21, 2016, 08:12:29 AM »
I love this thread! People are killing it! Congrats to All!

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #1242 on: March 22, 2016, 10:41:32 PM »
My stash gave me the confidence to look for a new job. I got two offers in as many weeks. I tried to quit on Friday since once of the offers was pretty decent, but my work gave me a generous counteroffer to stay.

I'm now earning 10k per annum more for the same job, and when I told the prospective employer they quickly offered me another 2k on top of my works offer as well as some nice extras. I won't take it because the extra money doesn't make the commute worthwhile, but I am very pleased with how this has all panned out.

I'm a little in shock, I'm wondering when I'll wake up from this wonderful dream. I'll email payroll today to ensure a little of that bonus money gets sent to my superannuation.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1243 on: March 24, 2016, 10:31:30 PM »
My stash gave me the confidence to look for a new job. I got two offers in as many weeks. I tried to quit on Friday since once of the offers was pretty decent, but my work gave me a generous counteroffer to stay.

I'm now earning 10k per annum more for the same job, and when I told the prospective employer they quickly offered me another 2k on top of my works offer as well as some nice extras. I won't take it because the extra money doesn't make the commute worthwhile, but I am very pleased with how this has all panned out.

I'm a little in shock, I'm wondering when I'll wake up from this wonderful dream. I'll email payroll today to ensure a little of that bonus money gets sent to my superannuation.

Rock on! Great job, coin!

jms493

• Stubble
« Reply #1244 on: March 25, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
Officially Debt free except the mortgage as of 3/22/2016.  It took us 599 days to pay off 288K worth of debt...200K of it was Rental Condo from hell.  The problem was the condo only sold for $118...leaving us with a huge bill to pay at closing.

Anyway...our next focus is we are replenishing our savings at the rate of around $4500 a month.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1245 on: March 28, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
I went shopping at Myer on Saturday (don't say that very often). They had a multi buy discount, on top of specific product discounts...

I ended up getting 2 business shirts (original price $70 each) + 2 ties (original price $30 each) for $107 all up. Then went to another store for another shirt $100 reduced to $30!

Rock on! Great job, coin!

Good stuff. well done. Employer has backed themselves into a corner here now... counter-offers set an ugly precedent, especially if other staff find out about it.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1246 on: March 30, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »
Today I am officially exactly half way between my discovery of MMM/signing up for the forum/starting my FIRE plans and my expected FIRE date!

Also, as an added bonus, I signed a lease last night and as of May 1 all my rentals will be full and I don't have to deal with finding new tenants for awhile! Lots of positive changes on that front lately, but I'll be glad when things stabilize a bit.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1247 on: April 01, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »
Was setting up my March budget in Mint today and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that my net worth has passed $50k! It's actually closer to $60k, but will be closer to $65k once my refund check comes in (I forgot to take allowances on the W-4--this has been addressed).

Another celebration is that, for the first time ever, my investment accounts are in the green!

I'm starting to wonder if it might be possible to hit the $100k mark by the end of the year.

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #1248 on: April 01, 2016, 02:44:01 PM »
Finally eligible to contribute to my company's 401k (no match, except for some nebulous profit-sharing type thing). So now I just have to finish the paperwork.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1249 on: April 02, 2016, 02:56:07 AM »
Everyone is doing so well.:)