Author Topic: Career Advice  (Read 3947 times)

davsey27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Career Advice
« on: October 06, 2017, 12:20:30 PM »
I am 31 years old and have made some mistakes since i graduated from college in 2010.I only have around 4,000 saved up with about 5,000 in student loans and am looking for a career change.I have a BS in Health Sciences and wouldn't mind finding an entry level 9-5 job that pays 30k a year.Recreational Therapists make about 40 k a year and i was looking into online programs which would run me 15-20k and was wondering if it is worth it in my financial situation since that would put me into further debt. After working minimum wage jobs i realized that i don't want to be on my feet for 8-12 hours.Something meaningful 32-40 hours a week that involves helping people and doesn't leave me drained at the end of the day.I don't even mind walking dogs.I also thought about becoming a health coach but am a little worried about the risk of getting clients.I am having some difficulties focusing in on one area.Any input would be appreciated.

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Career Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »
Recreational Therapist sounds like a waste of 30k to me, honestly.

Can you look into being an administrative assistant? Most companies have some level of that and it can be a good way into a less stressful job (I think a handful of people here do this actually).

Do you have a local hospital/clinic? Might be a good place to find the above, too.

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
Health science? Why not become a nurse and make 60-80k a year, or work part time and get your 30k a year and have 4 days off a week. Honestly... I think its time to man tf up, work isn't supposed to be fun or they wouldn't pay you. Use it as a  tool so you can go live your life.

davsey27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »
I agree that work doesn't have to be fun but I think it should be bearable
and not cause misery.I enjoy helping people but I cannot be running around on my feet for 8 hours.Also,I have never been a morning person by have been able to adjust working 9-5 at Delta which I did for a month then I was offered a full time position working overnight 9pm-7am and turned it down because I don't think staying up all night and waking up in the evening is good for me.I wouldn't mind working 9-5 or even in the evenings but these odd hours like getting up for 6am nursing clinicals is just not for me.Ideally,if I can find a company that gives me flex time coming 10-6 that would be great.Early today,I read the article on having 25 times  as much as you spend annually for retirement.If I can just save a few thousand a year until social security I think I would be content so long as I am doing something that gives me purpose and meaning.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »

Can you look into being an administrative assistant? Most companies have some level of that and it can be a good way into a less stressful job (I think a handful of people here do this actually).

Do you have a local hospital/clinic? Might be a good place to find the above, too.

I work in hospital administration. It is NOT stress free. In fact, I'm on the last 2 days of stress leave and literally having nightmares about work already.

EmFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 05:41:58 AM »
If you're at all interested in health coaching, would you consider starting out as a personal trainer? The upfront cost is less than $1000 if you go through a quality certification program. Then you are hirable by any of the big gyms and can choose your hours based on client demand. There seems to be high demand in the mornings and evenings for clients.

I chose this path because health and fitness is a passion of mine. I also turned it into my own small business. I wouldn't worry about getting clients. Most large gyms feed them to you in the beginning. You are on your feet, but I find that sort of movement enjoyable (and good for you!)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »

I work in hospital administration. It is NOT stress free. In fact, I'm on the last 2 days of stress leave and literally having nightmares about work already.

Administration is very different than being an administrative assistant (aka secretary).

Shanksy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
I'm an Optician and someone with a background in Health Sciences, even with no prior optical experience, would be worth calling in for an interview if they applied. I'm a licensed dispensing optician in the state of Arizona, and I also manage the whole store. It takes 3 years to become licensed if that is something you would want, it's all on the job training. My first year as an unlicensed optician, just a regular team member, not a manager, working 32-40 hours I pulled in 29k. Last year I made 70k, this is a career that doesn't require any education, but it is sales and customer service. My work schedule is usually 10-630, with one day 12-8. It's retail so we work weekends and holidays though, and there's often split days off. Everything has a trade off.

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
You should be shooting for a lot higher income than $30-$40k a year, IMO.

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
How about a CNA?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 06:14:41 PM »

Administration is very different than being an administrative assistant (aka secretary).

Do you mean like unit admin staff, the people who do all the paperwork from the ground up? Also very stressful, and the pay is crap. In healthcare, everything is urgent, you're dealing with some big ass egos on one side and very frightened and stressed people on the other, with only a bunch of typically overworked and underpaid admin/nurse/resident/med tech holding it all together in the middle! People work in the field because they enjoy an environment that feels important, but there are much easier ways of making a buck. The only real upside is that you'll always be in demand. People who are very familiar with industry software and understand medical terminology, AND can be calm and accurate under significant pressure are not a dime a dozen. Although you'd think so from the pay!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
I could name 15 different health field related jobs that would pay near 6 figures, but you seem to have 0 drive to achieve any of them. The rest of us got our asses up at 5 am to go to school, got past it, and now have actual jobs. There is even night nursing school where you do clinical studies for 4 hrs a day - most of those ppl hold down full time jobs, but if you just did that it would allow you to sleep the other 18 hrs a day and still end up with a degree.

davsey27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 07:16:08 PM »
Unfortunately here in state of Georgia there are no schools where i can take nursing classes at night.Its not about drive,if some of these schools had reasonable hours i wouldn't mind doing it.While my first month of training doing crew accommodations at Delta,I worked 4 days a week 10 hour shifts from 8:30-6:30 and made it through as difficult as it was.I disagree with the poster who said that i should be making more than 30-40k a year.I personally don't feel like that would add anymore happiness although i wouldn't be resistant to making more as well if it was a side effect of doing something i enjoyed.I would like to make a career consulting people about making better health choices,promoting movement(not necessarily gym),meditation,emotional awareness and healthy lifestyle.I feel like preventative medicine is really missing here in america.I would rather due this then help people who are glued to the tv all day and don't have a desire to move waiting till something goes wrong before they visit the doctor or nurse(I understand that this is not always the case).Something along the lines of life/health coaching.I understand that it is not guaranteed you will make money doing this and wouldn't mind doing something else to pay the bills and doing the coaching for free so at least i feel centered regardless of whether or not i am making money from it since this is something that feels true to my core.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:26:46 PM by davsey27 »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
Unfortunately here in state of Georgia there are no schools where i can take nursing classes at night.Its not about drive,if some of these schools had reasonable hours i wouldn't mind doing it.While my first month of training doing crew accommodations at Delta,I worked 4 days a week 10 hour shifts from 8:30-6:30 and made it through as difficult as it was.I disagree with the poster who said that i should be making more than 30-40k a year.I personally don't feel like that would add anymore happiness although i wouldn't be resistant to making more as well if it was a side effect of doing something i enjoyed.I would like to make a career consulting people about making better health choices,promoting movement(not necessarily gym),meditation,emotional awareness and healthy lifestyle.I feel like preventative medicine is really missing here in america.I would rather due this then help people who are glued to the tv all day and don't have a desire to move waiting till something goes wrong before they visit the doctor or nurse(I understand that this is not always the case).Something along the lines of life/health coaching.I understand that it is not guaranteed you will make money doing this and wouldn't mind doing something else to pay the bills and doing the coaching for free so at least i feel centered regardless of whether or not i am making money from it since this is something that feels true to my core.

Not everyone knows what they want to do exactly or has a straight run to it. If you're still figuring it out, there's nothing wrong with that. What about physiotherapy? It's a 4 year degree here and some of it can be done via distance learning - anatomy, some of the ethical stuff etc. It's an easy one if you want to combine health and prevention with injury management. Physios are in demand here, dunno about your area.

I would focus a little more on dollars, myself. There's nothing quite as un-centering as financial stress.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 11:26:48 PM »
I skipped all the responses, so apologizes if this was already covered.

On LinkedIn, in response to a post about how 'working up the ladder" had changed, a lady posted that she didn't feel there were enough opportunities for her.  In particular, related to her skill set and experience.

She had 6 years in the US Navy, but evidently spent a fairly large amount to get an undergraduate degree from an online university in a vague subject.  Then went on to get earn an MA in another vague subject.  She complained about not earning enough. 

Point is that the credentials she earned weren't worth that much.  Any person seeking to obtain a college degree should inquire about the job potential ...... salary and breadth of job types.