Author Topic: Capt. Brett E. Crozier  (Read 10899 times)

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
Re: Capt. Brett E. Crozier
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2020, 04:43:15 PM »
There are not many ways to administer CPR to someone that doesn't involve very close contact with the patient. You would hope they had the machinery there instead of asking sailors to give mouth to mouth.

They don't teach mouth to mouth anymore.  Main thing is to keep the blood moving. 

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2020, 05:27:06 PM »
There are not many ways to administer CPR to someone that doesn't involve very close contact with the patient. You would hope they had the machinery there instead of asking sailors to give mouth to mouth.

They don't teach mouth to mouth anymore.  Main thing is to keep the blood moving.

The American Red Cross most definitely still teaches mouth to mouth as part of full CPR certification, at least as of the beginning of Febuary of this year--if you can't do/aren't trained to do/aren't willing to do the full rotation is when you go to chest compressions only (professional vs bystander CPR)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2020, 07:45:42 PM »

The American Red Cross most definitely still teaches mouth to mouth as part of full CPR certification, at least as of the beginning of Febuary of this year--if you can't do/aren't trained to do/aren't willing to do the full rotation is when you go to chest compressions only (professional vs bystander CPR)

I thought the modern studies found no difference in results for compression-only vs compression+breaths in most circumstances.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2020, 08:22:30 PM »

I thought the modern studies found no difference in results for compression-only vs compression+breaths in most circumstances.

For out-of-hospital arrests that is true (uniformly poor outcomes regardless). For in-hospital, ventilation/oxygenation does improve neurologic function. If only one person is available, compressions is the priority. For COVID patients, our hospital's current policy is whoever has an N95 on first should begin compressions, second bagging, third defibrillator setup.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2020, 11:40:12 PM »

Is that because your average CPR as administered by some guy on a street doesn't work at all? I've been to dozens of first aid classes run by ambulance services and hospitals and I've always been told that CPR is a last resort option. An AED is a life saver but you basically do CPR because there's nothing else you can do, last ditch effort to keep them alive until the paramedics get there kind of thing.... I've been told by very experienced paramedics that they've never had someone recover through CPR like on TV.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2020, 12:08:46 AM »
Survival after witnessed cardiac arrest is on average about 10-15% if CPR is performed, assuming additional treatment is given. Survival without cpr is a third of that. It’s a bit higher if the rhythm is V fib/tach and defibrillation is done early. In-hospital survival is lower, probably because people who need CPR in house have other issues that ultimately lead to death, or are severely ill and essentially dying at the time of CPR. I’ve gotten pulses back on occasion but rarely good neurological function (except with trauma - healthier patients before they were shot).

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2020, 01:48:38 AM »

Is that because your average CPR as administered by some guy on a street doesn't work at all? I've been to dozens of first aid classes run by ambulance services and hospitals and I've always been told that CPR is a last resort option. An AED is a life saver but you basically do CPR because there's nothing else you can do, last ditch effort to keep them alive until the paramedics get there kind of thing.... I've been told by very experienced paramedics that they've never had someone recover through CPR like on TV.

I've never had anyone teach that CPR is something that saves lives on its own, it's always been taught as something you should do as soon as possible after an event to keep blood and oxygen flowing and increase the victim's chances of surviving until real medical help arrives.  If you have an AED to hand at all times, great, but if you don't a couple minutes of CPR and then the use of an AED someone brings you gives better odds of survival than those same minutes with no CPR while you go find an AED, and you can keep someone alive/un-brain-damaged with CPR far longer than they'd last with no help at all.  But I think all the CPR trainers I've had (yes, also paramedics, and I've kept my certification up for more than 20 years now so there have been a lot of them) would agree with yours that CPR on its own without eventually that AED or incoming ambulance isn't going to save many people.

As far as compressions vs compressions+rescue breaths...like I said, the American Red Cross was definitely still recertifying for both as of February, but Google says it depends on the situation whether one is as good as the other.  Apparently yes for cardiac arrest in the short term, not so much for drug overdose/drowning/unresponsive children/prolonged cardiac arrest.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!