Author Topic: Campground Deed  (Read 3283 times)

gobius

• Stubble
Campground Deed
« on: March 22, 2017, 05:38:32 AM »
Hello group,

I haven't posted in here or visited for a long time.  Had a question:

A family member passed away recently.  He and his wife owned a camper and had a "deed" with the campground where they store the camper; of course now she is the sole owner of both.  The way I understand it, this "deed" is some sort of small ownership of part of the campground.  You don't get any kind of investment returns or anything, but you pay something like $500/year in fees.  I believe you also pay an up-front fee.  Not sure the benefits of it; the husband was the one who signed up for it and obviously I can't ask him.  The wife wants to sell the camper and get out of the deed, and the campground put her on a list so that, when people want to buy a deed, she is on the list of people who are willing to sell it.  The husband was the one who signed up for it, and to my knowledge she didn't sign any papers, but I'm assuming she can't get out of it since she would've inherited it.

Is there another way out of this deed besides getting on this list?  Perhaps she should speak to an attorney?  She just wants out of it and told the campground that she's willing to sweeten the deal to get it off her hands.  We have considered offering a deal on the deed to go with the camper.  Perhaps there is a website where people buy/sell these things?

Someone suggested timeshareexitteam.com.  Apparently it is recommended by Dave Ramsey.  I've read some reviews on them and quite a few are pretty negative, plus I don't necessarily take Ramsey's recommendations as gospel.  Anyone know anything about this service?  It apparently gets you out of timeshares but I don't know how similar it is to a campground deed.

Thanks!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Re: Campground Deed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »
You can refute an inheritance (or a part of an inheritance). 

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »

Go get the camper and once it's off the site let the campground know the person that signed the deed has died.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:49:46 PM »
There is a sort of similar situation with a plot of land and docks near my parents. This is California specific.There is lots of misinformation/contradictory things people have told me, but as near as I can tell its:

back in the 60s, the owners were all on the deed that was on file in the county records.

At some point a corporation was formed.

The corp owns the property and the old owners now own a share of the corporation. Owners can and do walk a way. Also if owners have died there have been cases of no inheritance and the corp re-sells the share to get maintenance money.

I do not believe they can add you to the deed without your permission.  There was a rumored historical problem of owners not paying their share of the property tax and the others paying it to keep it from being auctioned off.  The corporation option lets them kick out deadbeats who don't pay their share by selling off their share to a new owner.

Oh, and my Dad is about to buy in.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »

This doesn't sound like an inheritance though- it's likely treated as spousal property. The spouse just doesn't want it.  (As opposed to the OP inheriting it from relatives who s/he does not otherwise have a stake in their property with.)

I'd try to go with the "deed signer died" and just turn it in, but it may not work depending on how property is handled in the OPs state. What the husband signed, the wife very well may be on the hook for.

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »
Thanks guys/gals.  We will have to research our state's law regarding spousal property and probably go from there unless anyone else has any advice.  Still curious about the timeshare link in my OP, as I am a bit skeptical of it but don't have a ton of info.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »
I agree with Retire-Canada. Go get the camper and walk away - unless the lot is worth something significant.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:32:30 PM »
It's like a timeshare.   

In addition to not accepting that part of the inheritance (which is really just a debt), some people can donate a deeded timeshare to a charity.   Not sure how may are still accepting them, but this used to happen.

ETA - here is a link I found on the first Google search (aka - not vetted by me!)
http://www.donatemytimeshare.org/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:34:20 PM by Goldielocks »