Author Topic: Camper van - adventure mobile  (Read 13181 times)

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
Re: Camper van - adventure mobile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2020, 05:41:28 PM »

Thermoelectric coolers are starting to become more practical and affordable for small fridges too.  Up until recently, you really had to go the propane route if you wanted a usable fridge.  The amp draw is significant though.

Compressor based fridges (Dometic, ARB, Engel) are orders of magnitude more efficient than Thermoelectric and aren't as limited in their cooling capacity. If you're running a fridge off of a battery bank, compressor all the way!

They cost a fortune though.

Depends on how you look at it:

1) thermoelectric, due to the physics of the peltier cooling effect, are significantly affectied by ambient temperature. So if it's 95 degrees, the cooler may only cool to 60 degrees; not enough for good refrigeration. So their performance is adequate but not great. Compressor fridges can often be turned down cold enough to be freezers.

2) The upsizing in your power system that you need to do to handle the amp draw of a thermoelectric  vs compressor cooler quickly becomes more expensive than the difference between the two units. You would have to have a $200 larger system to save yourself $200 on a fridge that works worse. The only time it sort of makes sense is if you can plug into the grid or are running a generator. Or if you're a trucker that idles in truck stops all night or are driving all day (which is what the 12V peltier fridges were originally intended for) If you are on an extreme budget, then either make an efficient fridge out of a dorm freezer or just use a cooler and ice.

3) Like anything, you can get a good deal if you have some time to find one. We bought a 45L Norcold for $250 on ebay.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2020, 07:44:13 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned truck topper campers.  Those seem to be a good option too.  They're simple to install & simple to remove, can be swapped to different truck if you upgrade trucks.  Some of them are a lot roomier than you might guess.  Some are expandable, which you can raise the roof higher when you stop to camp.  Trucks give you more options, like higher towing capacities and beefier 4x4 systems. 

Trucks, especially Toyotas, seem to hold their value better than vans & RVs do.  (I have a buddy that sold a 4x4 Tacoma w/ 300K miles for $10,000!) 

I'm not a big truck fan, but there are a number of good reasons to consider the truck/topper over a van.   

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2020, 08:28:45 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned truck topper campers.  Those seem to be a good option too.  They're simple to install & simple to remove

I've looked at them, exactly how hard are they to remove? If we went this route we honestly world probably get a cheapo cap that would get just on all the time, a truck that could seat 4 and an air mattress for the back. It wouldn't be as versatile, but it is simple.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2020, 08:40:03 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned truck topper campers.  Those seem to be a good option too.  They're simple to install & simple to remove

I've looked at them, exactly how hard are they to remove? If we went this route we honestly world probably get a cheapo cap that would get just on all the time, a truck that could seat 4 and an air mattress for the back. It wouldn't be as versatile, but it is simple.

There are some simple bed topper pop up types that are on the market that are pretty cool. $8K for a glorified shell is quite a lot, but they are so lightweight that they are pretty easy to install. And the only type that I personally would want to use with a standard 1/2 ton truck. The bigger you go, the bigger truck you will need to get. Most slide ins work best with 3/4 ton or full 1 ton vehicles.

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/project-m/

There are ad-on kits for most slide in campers that place a pole on the 4 corners of the rig so you can essentially drive out from under it for easy "install" and storage, assuming you have the room to store a floating camper top.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7d/a2/9c/7da29c1e84c46f3a46826b678c645cbb--camper-storage-rv-mods.jpg

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2020, 09:32:32 PM »
I didn't mean to buy a new one.  There's one in fair condition on CL near me asking $1200.  It might clean up okay.  https://greensboro.craigslist.org/for/d/efland-truck-camper/7147165553.html

If you keep an eye on CL a decent one might come up for the right price. 

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2020, 10:51:38 PM »
I didn't mean to buy a new one.  There's one in fair condition on CL near me asking $1200.  It might clean up okay.  https://greensboro.craigslist.org/for/d/efland-truck-camper/7147165553.html

Needs a 3/4t to haul, I'd like to see the roof, and it has a ye olde style gravity furnace.  Otherwise, not terrible...

edit: no fridge, no hot water.  I would pay maybe $700 for this.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:55:28 PM by Wrenchturner »

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2020, 04:58:46 AM »

The RV market is going bananas right now what with international travel canceled and no vacationing at 6 flags. Probably won't find a great deal on CL for a couple of seasons.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2020, 06:03:41 AM »
Since we're posting current camper vehicles, might as well let y'all see mine. Pulled the tools out of my work truck, and threw a quick platform and an old futon mattress in. Total cost so far is <$50, mostly for the purchase of the appropriately-sized storage totes and the 4x8 platform.

Gonna give it a test run with me and the two younglings (8&9y/o) for a couple days. If it works well, I'll take the setup on a longer camping/national parks trip.
I had a carpet kit in my old Ranger and it worked well as a sitting and sleeping area as well as space for storage. Especially for one person. My sister had the same for her small truck. The problem is head room. I'm 5'10" and found that it was very uncomfortable even sitting. A taller shell/topper would have been better. I generally slept in a fairly tall tent and just used it to sleep in occasionally or in bad weather or if I was somewhere I felt unsafe. The van was the same same set up but soooo much better.

Not my former truck but similar:

Thankfully, my canopy is about 3-4 inches taller than the cab, and that extra height is going to be invaluable. Ideally,  another 12-18 inches of height would allow me to sit and change inside. Or, if I was alone, I could use a twin size mattress and lay it on the actual floor instead of elevated on the platform.

But a new canopy/she'll would cost nearly as much as the truck itself, so not really in the (free-ninety-nine) budget.
When we needed a tall shell for DH's F150, we found one on CL for $250 and he painted it to match his truck. It's been on ever since and worth every penny.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »

I think people like the Promaster for 2 reasons.
1) Its cheaper.
2) Its FWD. Of course AWD would be better but you slap good tires on a FWD and you're good to go.

It's also larger and more "square" which are both bonuses when building out a van.

Edit: In my personal experience, FWD is less of an issue in full sized vans compared to commuter vehicles. You get marginally better control under power, but the slower speeds and heavy weight of a van make RWD quite capable. I personally wouldn't consider it a significant consideration for those building campervans. Both options offer similar capabilities (IMO). And this is coming from someone who is a big proponent of FWD cars.

FWD on a larger vehicle can really let you down on gravel or slippery surfaces unlike a car. Too much weight can shift towards the rear axle on steep hills. Source: many, many miles driving a Fiat Ducato in the 1990s.

The Ducato would not make it across sand quickly burying itself. On steep gravel inclines there were occasions when reversing up the hill was the solution. Otherwise they drove just fine.

wbarnett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2020, 09:50:39 AM »
I too dream about a camper van / adventure mobile. As others have noted, the Sprinter (or Promaster) route is quite expensive. If you're handy though, a Suburban adventure mobile can be had much cheaper. Check out the builds at:

https://www.suboverland.com/

Those builds are based on used Suburbans, so they're cheaper right off the bat. They also get terrible mileage, so that's a con. But you could have seatbelts, drawers, a bed inside, a portable shower, add a rooftop tent (like https://gofastcampers.com/products/gfc-rooftop-tent) and still be under $25k. Parts for Suburbans/Tahoes/Silverados are readily available and they're much easier to work on than some other cars.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2020, 02:43:14 PM »

https://www.suboverland.com/

I'm guessing they are making their money on the vehicle itself - but it is a pretty neat option. I haven't heard of anyone else with this model. I also liked that they can leave a 3rd seat which is a big deal for me.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
Since we're posting current camper vehicles, might as well let y'all see mine. Pulled the tools out of my work truck, and threw a quick platform and an old futon mattress in. Total cost so far is <$50, mostly for the purchase of the appropriately-sized storage totes and the 4x8 platform.

Gonna give it a test run with me and the two younglings (8&9y/o) for a couple days. If it works well, I'll take the setup on a longer camping/national parks trip.
I had a carpet kit in my old Ranger and it worked well as a sitting and sleeping area as well as space for storage. Especially for one person. My sister had the same for her small truck. The problem is head room. I'm 5'10" and found that it was very uncomfortable even sitting. A taller shell/topper would have been better. I generally slept in a fairly tall tent and just used it to sleep in occasionally or in bad weather or if I was somewhere I felt unsafe. The van was the same same set up but soooo much better.

Not my former truck but similar:

Thankfully, my canopy is about 3-4 inches taller than the cab, and that extra height is going to be invaluable. Ideally,  another 12-18 inches of height would allow me to sit and change inside. Or, if I was alone, I could use a twin size mattress and lay it on the actual floor instead of elevated on the platform.

But a new canopy/she'll would cost nearly as much as the truck itself, so not really in the (free-ninety-nine) budget.
Yes more then 2 is way too many! Little tents for the munchkins maybe? Or one of those attachable tents that enclose the rear part of the shell. I like the Flip Pak myself with its roof top tent but a van would be best. Although I have been looking at a very minimalist small hatchback set up like the one @shadowmoss posted above but with less stuff. BF has a truck that could convert easily but I like to go off solo often so having my own vehicle is more practical. So far I'm still car less so looking at every option. Right now the small van and tent combo is winning.

Reporting back after a 2night/3day trip with me and the two kids. Drove to a national park about 3-4 hrs from here, and camped on a BLM land dirt road pullout (i.e., free). Spent all day in the park, then overnight on BLM land. TBH, I wasn't expecting more than a mediocre user experience-- bad sleep, inconvenient setup to cook/prepare food, no shade, etc.

But it turned out.....it was great! It only took maybe 30 min from pulling up to all tucked in. The mattress was comfy. There was enough room for us all (not much extra, but not cramped). Super convenient to access pretty much all our stuff as we needed it. 10/10 would do again. We camped in a no-trees area, but it wouldn't be any trouble at all to bring hammocks for nice nights in areas with trees around. A more posh stove than my free-99 dumpster-found ghetto setup would make packing nicer, but that's just minor details. As an unexpected plus, my little Ranger ended up getting 25mpg vs the barely 20ish I was expecting.

ETA: it was also really nice to be able to pack two big coolers and not worry that they're taking up too much space. We were able to eat very nice-- brought some watermelon (cut at home), had granola for breakfast, sandwiches for lunches. I even brought enough firewood/etc for a small campfire, which we didn't use at all, due to fire restrictions.

A minivan with the stow-n-go seats sounds like it would be a great/easy camper setup for a single person to double as a grocery-getter/friend-hauler.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:54:19 PM by APowers »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »

[/quote]A minivan with the stow-n-go seats sounds like it would be a great/easy camper setup for a single person to double as a grocery-getter/friend-hauler.
[/quote]

exactly

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2020, 09:58:56 AM »
A minivan with the stow-n-go seats sounds like it would be a great/easy camper setup for a single person to double as a grocery-getter/friend-hauler.
I still miss my Dodge Grand Caravans. Those Stow-n-Go seats were the best!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18:58 PM »
I still miss my Dodge Grand Caravans. Those Stow-n-Go seats were the best!
I saw online that Jucy (camper van rental company)  is selling a lot of their Dodge caravan conversions. Lots of miles but newer vans. Most have roof top tents. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2012-Dodge-GRAND-CARAVAN-5012995070
Wow! Thanks for that rabbit hole, Sparty!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Camper van - adventure mobile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »
A little more progress been taking my time and working a 1/2 hour here and there as I get time.

Bench with water tank is in, built a cubby in the back of the bench to make use of the lost space between the tank and above the plumbing / pump. Also made 2 cubbies in the side basically used the 2” of space between the tank and the plywood face. Not a huge amount of storage but figured a couple of plates, flip flops or maps could fit in that space that would otherwise be trapped and unused

Started on the other side today trying to capture as much free space as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2020, 06:22:10 AM »
foresty forest is awesome! i wonder how much he makes from patreon? hes got quite a few contributors.
Graphtreon says between 1k and 10k a month, based on 1k patrons and donations ranging from $1 to $10 a month.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/forestyforest

Plus his YouTube revenue which is probably around $100 per vid.  Apparently you get around $1 per 1k views.

He's also a skilled hiker and a pretty good cook which helps his appeal.  I find content creation really fascinating!

interesting. he's good in front of the camera but i've yet to see him interact with other people. i wonder if he's a loner type or is just comfortable being alone. it's funny, people pay him to be on vacation.

It's not really vacation. It's another form of work.  Youtube seems like "not a job", but it can be demanding to get content out reliably.  It wouldn't surprise me if he works more than a 40-hour work week filming and editing.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2020, 10:24:25 AM »
foresty forest is awesome! i wonder how much he makes from patreon? hes got quite a few contributors.
Graphtreon says between 1k and 10k a month, based on 1k patrons and donations ranging from $1 to $10 a month.

https://graphtreon.com/creator/forestyforest

Plus his YouTube revenue which is probably around $100 per vid.  Apparently you get around $1 per 1k views.

He's also a skilled hiker and a pretty good cook which helps his appeal.  I find content creation really fascinating!

interesting. he's good in front of the camera but i've yet to see him interact with other people. i wonder if he's a loner type or is just comfortable being alone. it's funny, people pay him to be on vacation.

It's not really vacation. It's another form of work.  Youtube seems like "not a job", but it can be demanding to get content out reliably.  It wouldn't surprise me if he works more than a 40-hour work week filming and editing.

The majority of youtubers burn out after a relatively short time, at least compared to a more traditional job. The $ is good... when it's good. It fluctuates all the time and youtube is constantly effing with their algorithm and such. If you make it to the top and stay stable, you can bring in 10-20K a month, and people who taste that for one or two months end up chasing the dragon until they have some sort of falling out. The barrier to entry is so small that you constantly have to deal with competing channels, copyright legalities, and not to mention the psychological strain of interacting with social media that frequently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!