Author Topic: My Financial Blog for Artists  (Read 8129 times)

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
My Financial Blog for Artists
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »
Hi All,

I just launched my new blog, a money blog for artists called "The Artist Financial."
About me: I'm a professional musician, piano teacher, and songwriter-composer.  99% of my money for over a decade has come from
music.  In addition, obviously I'm a MMM-enthusiast and have been on a personal finance tear for several years now.
At the same time, as an artist I think some of the the issues I deal with are unique.  Also, I think there are many artists out
there who want to learn more about money but just don't relate to things like the Wall Street Journal, investing concepts,
and money management that we so enjoy discussing.  Maybe they just need a way in.  Hopefully my blog can help
with that:

View it here:  http://blog.artistfinancial.net/

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
Re: My Financial Blog for Artists
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »
Cool.  Good for you and thanks for doing this.  I think this was exactly the kind of thing MMM hoped would happen when he started the blog.  I'm looking forward to seeing where your blog leads as it develops.  Good luck!

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:23:58 PM »
Cool.  Good for you and thanks for doing this.  I think this was exactly the kind of thing MMM hoped would happen when he started the blog.  I'm looking forward to seeing where your blog leads as it develops.  Good luck!

Many thanks, aceyou!

When I discovered MMM less than two years ago, I had the interest in doing my own financial blog.  It took me awhile to figure out how I can best contribute
to the cause, being as I didn't really have any MMM-style accomplishments to my name.  Eventually I realized that what I do has is resiliency as an artist and the fact that I make my money in my art.  That plus a devotion to MMM concepts of personal finance, finally came into place.

Footsore Rambler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My fine art website
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
I'll check it put, thanks!  I'm in my first year of being a full-time self employed artist.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing - will read on as you update :)

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
Lovely, I wish there were more resources for artists here. I'm working on becoming a voiceover artist and hope I can supplement my income soon with some work.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »
I'll check it put, thanks!  I'm in my first year of being a full-time self employed artist.

That is awesome, Footsore Rambler.  Hope you like it!

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »

Excellent, LonerMatt.  Just curious, do you bookmark the page?  or RSS feed?  Or just check it if you remember to check it?
Just curious how that works
Thanks

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
Lovely, I wish there were more resources for artists here. I'm working on becoming a voiceover artist and hope I can supplement my income soon with some work.

I will do what I can, MVal!  Thanks for your interest.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 06:54:52 PM »

Many thanks, aceyou!

When I discovered MMM less than two years ago, I had the interest in doing my own financial blog.  It took me awhile to figure out how I can best contribute
to the cause, being as I didn't really have any MMM-style accomplishments to my name.  Eventually I realized that what I do has is resiliency as an artist and the fact that I make my money in my art.  That plus a devotion to MMM concepts of personal finance, finally came into place.

Yeah, I think you have found a nice niche to contribute in.  I'd like to do something similar to add a contribution to the community, but like you, I only want to do it if I have something original to contribute.  I'm a teacher, and there's a few teachers who I feel have already done a fantastic job.  In the meantime, I continue to add little financial literacy lesson into class when it is appropriate and fits into the curriculum.  For example, exponential functions offer many opportunities for FIRE and frugality concepts. 

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »

Many thanks, aceyou!

Yeah, I think you have found a nice niche to contribute in.  I'd like to do something similar to add a contribution to the community, but like you, I only want to do it if I have something original to contribute.  I'm a teacher, and there's a few teachers who I feel have already done a fantastic job.  In the meantime, I continue to add little financial literacy lesson into class when it is appropriate and fits into the curriculum.  For example, exponential functions offer many opportunities for FIRE and frugality concepts.

Give it some time, like I did.  The idea will come to you when it is ready
Also, even if there are other teachers who do financial blogs, remember you still have your own perspective that is valuable.
I also am a teacher as well as an artist... my blog allows me to combine the best of both :)

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:08 AM »

Excellent, LonerMatt.  Just curious, do you bookmark the page?  or RSS feed?  Or just check it if you remember to check it?
Just curious how that works
Thanks

I will just check once a week (if I remember), but partially commenting in the thread is a way to remind me to re-check.

How often are you planning on writing updates?

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
Thanks for doing this! I have an art-related side business so I'll be interested to read this.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
Thanks for doing this! I have an art-related side business so I'll be interested to read this.

Awesome

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »

I will just check once a week (if I remember), but partially commenting in the thread is a way to remind me to re-check.

How often are you planning on writing updates?

Hmm, good question.  It's an experiment so I don't exactly know.  Sorry I can't be more specific yet
Thanks for your interest! 

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 07:54:56 PM »
Hey Guys,

I just added a new blog post:

http://blog.artistfinancial.net/2017/06/the-curse-of-negative-childhood-money.html
"The Curse of Negative Childhood Money Messages"

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 02:50:48 AM »
Interesting! I might contact you about guest posts in the future.

sufjork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 06:18:35 AM »
Great start! I am currently a full-time artist and had also been thinking of creating a blog like this. Glad to see you've already started.

I recently decided to stop doing art as the main way I make money, and I'm working on training myself in new skills so I can transition into a new career/industry, hopefully by this time next year. Mostly because...well, I don't make that much money doing what I currently do (though, I DO make money and it has been exciting for the past few years). More importantly, though, I recently realized I haven't been enjoying it! All the fun and joy has been taken out of my art-making. So I'm hoping that having transitioning into a stable, lucrative, relatively low-stress, and fun/challenging (to me) career will free me up to just make art for art's sake and get back to enjoying it.

Good luck with your blog! I'll definitely continue to check it out.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 06:39:45 AM »
Great start! I am currently a full-time artist and had also been thinking of creating a blog like this. Glad to see you've already started.

I recently decided to stop doing art as the main way I make money, and I'm working on training myself in new skills so I can transition into a new career/industry, hopefully by this time next year. Mostly because...well, I don't make that much money doing what I currently do (though, I DO make money and it has been exciting for the past few years). More importantly, though, I recently realized I haven't been enjoying it! All the fun and joy has been taken out of my art-making. So I'm hoping that having transitioning into a stable, lucrative, relatively low-stress, and fun/challenging (to me) career will free me up to just make art for art's sake and get back to enjoying it.

Would you mind sharing more about how you came to this decision and what you're doing about it?

I've recently realised that the resentment I feel for being chronically underpaid is hurting my feelings about the art I make. (I sort of work freelance on community art projects with other artists. Would rather not get much more specific than that.) The payment situation is not likely to get vastly better as no matter how good I am or how businesslike I am, there is just not the funding available to pay everyone in my field. So I've been thinking about:
a) Carrying on as is with a mix of money projects, passion projects and the odd shit project. (I've been working for three years so have got over the difficult early years to an extent but have also been given a glimpse of the potential future.)
b) Digging my heels in and only accepting highly paid jobs. (I'm not convinced I have enough experience/an awesome enough portfolio for those jobs yet.)
c) Working as an assistant in my field. (More money, less stress, less fun.)
d) Getting a "proper job".

I have FU money and my husband has a really stable (but not highly paid) job but it's almost harder to decide knowing that I have total control over my own life!

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 02:13:06 PM »

Thanks sufjork!
Very important to do what works for yourself.  Even if that means getting a job.
In a way, my piano teaching business is sort of my "job" that allows me to do my art without the fuss.
Life - work - art balance is important

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 03:27:56 PM »
More importantly, though, I recently realized I haven't been enjoying it! All the fun and joy has been taken out of my art-making. So I'm hoping that having transitioning into a stable, lucrative, relatively low-stress, and fun/challenging (to me) career will free me up to just make art for art's sake and get back to enjoying it.

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. Every time I've turned a hobby into an obligation of some kind (freelance job, volunteer commitment, website, etc.) I've started resenting it. I have now learned not to ruin the things I love most by doing that, so I have a semi-boring but decently-paid office job and I can thoroughly enjoy my weekends and evenings doing what I love.

A lot of people tell me I "need to find a way to make money" with my hobbies/passions so that I can make that into a career that I'm super-passionate about. But I know it would just ruin everything for me!

sufjork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »

Would you mind sharing more about how you came to this decision and what you're doing about it?

I've recently realised that the resentment I feel for being chronically underpaid is hurting my feelings about the art I make. (I sort of work freelance on community art projects with other artists. Would rather not get much more specific than that.) The payment situation is not likely to get vastly better as no matter how good I am or how businesslike I am, there is just not the funding available to pay everyone in my field. So I've been thinking about:
a) Carrying on as is with a mix of money projects, passion projects and the odd shit project. (I've been working for three years so have got over the difficult early years to an extent but have also been given a glimpse of the potential future.)
b) Digging my heels in and only accepting highly paid jobs. (I'm not convinced I have enough experience/an awesome enough portfolio for those jobs yet.)
c) Working as an assistant in my field. (More money, less stress, less fun.)
d) Getting a "proper job".

I have FU money and my husband has a really stable (but not highly paid) job but it's almost harder to decide knowing that I have total control over my own life!

Sure! I have a BFA in a specific field and had landed a steady but low-paying job doing work similar to my major for two years. After two years working there, I ended up disliking that job due to the tight deadlines, high-stress, and inefficient management. It was a great portfolio-building job but it made me miserable. So I decided to either get another job (difficult, as there aren't usually many "proper" jobs on the market for my degree) or go freelance (TOTALLY less stressful, right? /sarcastic). I decided to go freelance and "do it until it doesn't make sense anymore." It's been two years and while I've been able to work on a lot of cool projects and at times truly make a good amount of money, I realized that I have to work SO hard to keep up that kind of inflow. That's just the nature of freelance, and I knew that before going into it (I did it a little bit before I got the first job). But I guess I decided I just didn't want to do that? My work is also really physical sometimes - I don't mind doing physical work, but I just want to be able to CHOOSE to do it. That's not the case now.

Basically, I was sort of at the crossroads of two options: 1) totally dig in with entrepreneurialism and seriously grow my business, and risk not making enough pay for a while to cover even bills (or even go into debt taking out business loans and the like), or 2) change careers into something else I'm interested in, ideally in a field not requiring me to go back to school (also read as: not take out a student loan). I realized that freelancing "didn't make sense anymore," so I decided to choose option 2.

So I'm planning to leave my field "professionally" and transition into something else that interests me, which is web development and design. I did that a lot as a kid and enjoyed it! The skills are possible to teach yourself, and the job market for that kind of work is awesome currently. The pay possibilities are much improved from my current situation, and in general the kind of job I could get would be lower stress than what I'm currently doing (though it depends on the company you work for).

For your situation, it depends what your goals are. Since you're on this forum, I'm assuming you're working toward FIRE? So there's your timeline for FIRE to consider, plus any other personal/professional/financial goals you have. In my case, my fiancé's job is also steady but not highly paid, and I wanted to be able to start making greater strides toward FI sooner rather than later. Additionally, as a lifetime artist, I want to get back to enjoying my work and doing art for art's sake, and NOT to survive. So, I realized I had more than one reason to discontinue being a freelance artist/designer and get back into the workforce. I know so many people in my area who have full-time jobs with art as their side-hustle and they all seem to be thriving. I want that.

I hope this was helpful? I feel like a blabbed on for a bit! These realized feelings and decisions are all new to me, so I'm still working them out! Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

sufjork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 07:51:12 AM »
More importantly, though, I recently realized I haven't been enjoying it! All the fun and joy has been taken out of my art-making. So I'm hoping that having transitioning into a stable, lucrative, relatively low-stress, and fun/challenging (to me) career will free me up to just make art for art's sake and get back to enjoying it.

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. Every time I've turned a hobby into an obligation of some kind (freelance job, volunteer commitment, website, etc.) I've started resenting it. I have now learned not to ruin the things I love most by doing that, so I have a semi-boring but decently-paid office job and I can thoroughly enjoy my weekends and evenings doing what I love.

A lot of people tell me I "need to find a way to make money" with my hobbies/passions so that I can make that into a career that I'm super-passionate about. But I know it would just ruin everything for me!

Totally! Turning a passion into a career works for some people and not for others. I thought I was the first kind of person - turns out I'm not! I don't like the insane amount of responsibility of being a full-time business-owner. The decision to not be an "artist" as a job was very hard for me though, because of the belief that my job defines me. (No surprise there, as I'm American and that's our modus operandi here). I am still working on changing that paradigm about myself; my new mantra is "I am not my job." I'm not 100% of the way there yet, but working on it. :) Kudos to you for knowing what works for you in order to maximize your enjoyment!

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 11:39:07 AM »
Thanks for the thread and blog! Great discussion.

I've struggled with these sorts of questions of trying to figure out how to make a living as an artist. Now I feel like I've got the financial part down, and I've focused on building my career for so long, that the art part is much more difficult. My career was sort of related to my art, but not really. Without getting into specifics, it's rather like someone who is an oil portrait artist having a job designing movie posters. You could say it's related, but it's not the same. My job is not really what I'm passionate about, but I do enjoy it.

I've gone through periods where the work is slow and I've had the opportunity (time- and money-wise) to focus 100% on my art. It was great at first but eventually I started to dislike and resent it. I became disappointed that I'd worked so hard to get to the point where this is possible, and I felt like I was suddenly flooded with all the negative self-talk that artists go through. (Things like, this is a waste of time; nobody will see the work or appreciate it; if I'm not earning money then what's the point; this is pretentious bullshit; etc.) I also felt a subtle negative judgment from friends and family, because it's very unusual to not have a job and be able to quit work in your 40s in the very expensive and work-focused city where I live. This self talk and judgment is nonsense because among my peers I am probably as well recognized as I'll ever be (having won awards, awarded grants, travelled for exhibitions, etc.) But self-defeating thoughts probably never fully go away for any artist - you have to just learn to ignore them.

Aside from the self talk and negative judgments / lack of understanding from others, making art is very solitary experience. (Not all art forms are like this of course, but mine is.) I'm not built for 100% solitary activity. It gets very draining over time. The last time I practiced art full time I was going to school, so surrounded by other like minded artists, and I had a PT job, so there was some group activity at my job that provided some social outlets. Without those, I felt like I was losing my mind.

I've read The Artist's Way, The War of Art and other really important books about this. Maybe it's time to reread them. But the social problem is hard to ignore.

Now I'm back to working PT in my somewhat related field, where I've been working for around 20 years, and I'm comfortable again, enjoying the work and socializing. But I'm hoping I'll be keen to practice art again and figure out a balance between the two.

I guess in the end "What I'm passionate about" isn't necessarily a passion as much as a compulsion that comes and goes. It's also a practice, something that I need to do every day whether or not I feel like doing it, in order to get better at it and keep the progress going. Sometimes I lose momentum on it and that's OK. I just have to keep going back to it. I certainly don't expect to make any money from it anymore. Whenever I try to do that, it just gets messy and I resent it even more.

I just googled 'art as compulsion' and found this very interesting article:

http://glasstire.com/2015/11/29/a-few-thoughts-on-compulsion/

It's hard to define the relationship I have to making art, but this article describes it very well.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »
Wow, I'm happily surprised by  all the discussion fostered by my blog. :)

I've been reading everyone's posts,
Personally, I have barely ever had a job, so it's not much part of my reality.  Yet I've definitely come to appreciate it hanging around this Forum.
It seems a lot of people on here have great salaries, which is obviously a great way to grow your stash. 
Believe me, at times I'm envious!
Meanwhile, just doing all I can to grow my ability to earn money in my field.  It can be done.  I've known numerous artists/musicians
who makes over $100k in what they do.  Some of them are teachers like me, some of them are independent musicians.  It can be done.
You just gotta believe, and you gotta have that entrepreneurial spirit.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 08:04:28 PM »
By the way, I just added a subscribe feature on the right side of the blog.  So if you're so inclined to get updates when I add a new post,
just add your email.  Thanks:

blog.artistfinancial.net

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 07:51:46 PM »
New blog post!

"Fly in the Face of Adversity and Build Your Nest Egg"
http://blog.artistfinancial.net/2017/07/adversity-build-your-nest-egg.html

I reference MMM's article on "Don't Give Your Future Self the Shaft!"
:)

I hope you like it.
If you do, please consider subscribing to the blog by adding your email.

Thank you

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 01:33:03 AM »
My wife's family has made their entire living doing art & music. Up until a couple of years ago they did freelance stuff. Her brother-in-law is a voice teacher and piano player. Her sister does a little bit of everything but is currently the head of an orchestra. Their now adult 'child' that is not a child any more but still is to us, graduated and now teaches as does his wife. She teaches in their upstairs while he goes on-site to schools. Their son and his wife are flown at least once a month to a small town I will leave nameless to play in their symphony because they are very good at what they play. Without saying too much of who she is, my wife is a VIP at a very high profile art museum. Their whole life has focused around art and music and have all made a good living at it. My wife has never been a freelance of any type, she has always worked for either the MET or where she is today but the rest of them have always been freelance.

It's all about who you know and if you are willing to be a brown-noser. I meet the people they are 'in' with and I could never do it. I played the sax for 9 years and I could have made it my career but I'm just not a brown-noser so it would have never worked for me. I'm much more comfortable in my Nike's than I am in Christian Louboutin uncomfortable shoes... but that's just me. They love it and many people do. If you want to be a success in the art/music business you can't sit at home and wait for it to come to you, you will need to go out and hustle by showing your talent.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »
Hey guys, I recently made a post in my journal about how I price art (something new to me). If anyone wants to take a gander and give me their thoughts I'd appreciate it :)

It's reply #135 on this page: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/pick-a-direction-and-walk/100/

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
Hey all,

New blog post, it's about how we need to develop good financial habits... and how possible it is to change our habits.
Obviously, I'm preaching to the choir a bit here by sharing this with you, yet my hope with this blog is that it will
resonate with creative types who are ready to work on this stuff too, hope you like:

http://blog.artistfinancial.net/2017/07/its-time-to-develop-good-financial.html

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »
My wife's family has made their entire living doing art & music. Up until a couple of years ago they did freelance stuff. Her brother-in-law is a voice teacher and piano player. Her sister does a little bit of everything but is currently the head of an orchestra. Their now adult 'child' that is not a child any more but still is to us, graduated and now teaches as does his wife. She teaches in their upstairs while he goes on-site to schools. Their son and his wife are flown at least once a month to a small town I will leave nameless to play in their symphony because they are very good at what they play. Without saying too much of who she is, my wife is a VIP at a very high profile art museum. Their whole life has focused around art and music and have all made a good living at it. My wife has never been a freelance of any type, she has always worked for either the MET or where she is today but the rest of them have always been freelance.

It's all about who you know and if you are willing to be a brown-noser. I meet the people they are 'in' with and I could never do it. I played the sax for 9 years and I could have made it my career but I'm just not a brown-noser so it would have never worked for me. I'm much more comfortable in my Nike's than I am in Christian Louboutin uncomfortable shoes... but that's just me. They love it and many people do. If you want to be a success in the art/music business you can't sit at home and wait for it to come to you, you will need to go out and hustle by showing your talent.

Hi SC93,
thanks for your sharing your perspective.  It's interesting... and quite different from what I experience.  I've never thought of being an artist as brown-nosing, yet I understand that in the circles you are talking about there's probably a lot of that.

To me, being an artist is about taking your artistic passions and skills and finding a market for them.  It's really about being a creative entrepreneur more than anything else.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 11:59:27 AM »
Hey guys, I recently made a post in my journal about how I price art (something new to me). If anyone wants to take a gander and give me their thoughts I'd appreciate it :)

It's reply #135 on this page: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/pick-a-direction-and-walk/100/

Hi LonerMatt,

thanks for sharing.  Very interesting.
Though I don't personally have a lot of experiencing selling prints, my wife is a photographer and visual artist, and my dad has also sold prints in the past.
Just my two cents from scanning at your post:

If your primary objective is money from selling your print at this situation, it sounds like this is not a big money maker.
If you are primarily wanting to win the prize money, well that sounds like a better deal... as long as you win.
If your primary objective is to get an extra credential you can use to give yourself greater exposure and credibility, and generate future sales, well this sounds like a great
opportunity no matter what, as long as you leverage it for future opportunities.

I'm not entirely sure which price is the best, yet it seems to make sense to look at this whollistically and see just how many different ways you might benefit from this situation:

--networking opportunities, could lead to other commissions and new profitable relationships down the road.
--increased credibility
--earn prize money
--earn money from sale
--increased experience

There are so many ways to win here it seems.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!