Author Topic: Bought a 2013 Leaf, good deal or not?  (Read 1132 times)

cmublitz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bought a 2013 Leaf, good deal or not?
« on: February 25, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
Hey All,

Just took the plunge into EVdom to replace our dying 2005 Accord.  This was somewhat of a spontaneous purchase and so I didn't have the entirety of the info I would have liked, but I went forward with it anyway.  Here are the particulars:

• 2013 Nissan Leaf S with added 6.6 fast charger and backup camera
  • Red color with very few scratches and 1 small dent but he only had 1 key fob
  • Purchase price $6500, private sale
  • CarFax says it was born in November 2013 and was a lease for 3 years => 41K miles in Georgia.  It had all the scheduled maintenance performed by the dealer.  It was involved in 1 accident and the dealer did the repair work.  After the lease, Nissan took it back and sold it to the guy I bought it from.  He used it in Georgia for 1.5 years and got it up to 55K miles.  He replaced the windshield wipers and the 12V battery.
  • It has 11 of the 12 "Capacity bars" remaining, but I don't have a bluetooth connector to get more detailed Leafspy data yet.
  • It passed Maryland State Inspection without any repairs required.
  • The tires are original, so I'm planning on replacing those very soon.

Reasons I jumped on it:
  • I needed a replacement vehicle because my wife doesn't want to pay for a new transmission on my 2005 Accord
  • I have wanted to try a battery car for a while now
  • A somewhat similar 2013 Leaf S was available from a CarMax near me for $9K
  • Our other car is a 2013 Honda Fit which can drive many miles on dinosaur juice

So what say you?  Good idea or face punch for not having more info first?

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
Re: Bought a 2013 Leaf, good deal or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »
Hey All,

Just took the plunge into EVdom to replace our dying 2005 Accord.  This was somewhat of a spontaneous purchase and so I didn't have the entirety of the info I would have liked, but I went forward with it anyway.  Here are the particulars:

• 2013 Nissan Leaf S with added 6.6 fast charger and backup camera
  • Red color with very few scratches and 1 small dent but he only had 1 key fob
  • Purchase price $6500, private sale
  • CarFax says it was born in November 2013 and was a lease for 3 years => 41K miles in Georgia.  It had all the scheduled maintenance performed by the dealer.  It was involved in 1 accident and the dealer did the repair work.  After the lease, Nissan took it back and sold it to the guy I bought it from.  He used it in Georgia for 1.5 years and got it up to 55K miles.  He replaced the windshield wipers and the 12V battery.
  • It has 11 of the 12 "Capacity bars" remaining, but I don't have a bluetooth connector to get more detailed Leafspy data yet.
  • It passed Maryland State Inspection without any repairs required.
  • The tires are original, so I'm planning on replacing those very soon.
Reasons I jumped on it:
  • I needed a replacement vehicle because my wife doesn't want to pay for a new transmission on my 2005 Accord
  • I have wanted to try a battery car for a while now
  • A somewhat similar 2013 Leaf S was available from a CarMax near me for $9K
  • Our other car is a 2013 Honda Fit which can drive many miles on dinosaur juice
So what say you?  Good idea or face punch for not having more info first?

seems like a decent deal.  If you know it's limitations and need a 2nd car, that's a good price.  It'll be reliable and hopefully won't lose capacity bars too quickly.