Author Topic: Black Friday: Yay or Nay? (Plz include any crazy BF stories you have or heard!)  (Read 32392 times)

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It's a total family bonding experience for us, but I like the way we do it. My mom, her sister, and I are all recreational shoppers. We go in a large group with my aunt's best friend from high school and her daughters and daughters in law. We love hunting for a deal but never "have" to get something. We spend Thursday eating turkey, playing cards, and watching football. Friday we get up around 8 am, get dressed, and hop in the car. We eat breakfast in the car (packed the night before) on the way to the outlet mall, shop from 9:30 until 1 or so, eat lunch, and then finish visiting the stores in the mall we'd like to shop at. After that, we drive to another area mall that has a Crate and Barrel, shop there, go out for dinner at one of the restaurants, do any other mall shopping we'd like, and head home. It's a fun experience and we go late enough in the day that all the crazy people are gone. I think I generally spend between $300-$500 and get almost all my Christmas shopping for the year done. For me, it's an absolute blast the way we do it. Mustachian, maybe not, but it's also not the crazy people who are skipping dinner to line up for TVs.

On Saturday, we go to shop small Saturday in a neighboring suburb of my childhood home, and then to a Christkindlmarket. For a family that loves to shop, it's a great way to spend the weekend.

seathink

• Stubble
On the day after Thanksgiving (I reject any other moniker for the day) a couple of years ago, we got really baked and cruised the mall. First time I'd smoked weed in years. Excellent people watching. It was so crowded it was like being alone.
I did buy some things: Ice cream, lunch, a couple of beers in the mall restaurant/bar. Felt like a kid again.

+1000 that's awesome!!

We used to have to do Thanksgiving Dinner in the early afternoon because our family friend was the Men's Department Manager at JCPenny. He'd have to be at work at 2:00 AM to get the "free door prizes" ready to go. One year it was Disney Snow Globes. Boy howdy the rage people had when they got a Donald and wanted a Mickey.

My best friend lived by a Target for years, though. Sometimes we'd walk over in the afternoon and get some DVDs.

My first experience with Black Friday was accidental. Way back in 1991 my uncle was dating a gal who had a store at the Mall of America. Day after Thanksgiving we decided to visit her store after our lunch of leftovers. We should have known better when we had to park on the roof.... My parents never went to a store that day again.

Melissa

• Stubble
Hell will freeze solid with the devil in the middle before I do BF. I didn't do BF even BEFORE I was mustachian, because I figured out years ago that all the actual good deals are during the month of October. The real deals are gone by 2nd week in November.

It took me 30 years just to get my momma to quit buying that shit to give to me. I'd rather her make me some biscuits and pork chops.

Great thing now is, I get biscuits and pork chops any time I go home to visit. Life is good!

Maybe your mom can talk to my mom!  I've been trying to get her to stop buying crap for years, but to no avail. I'm 40 and almost FI!!! All I want is to spend quality time with her. She even has the kids dreading Christmas.  All my son wants is one of her pecan pies

And no, I don't go shopping on BF. Because both of my brothers are nursing in a hospital and usually have to work the holiday we using celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Online?  Maybe, if there's something I actually need and it's actually a deal.  Got my $168 laptop six years ago that way.

In-store?  No.  Hell, no.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Hell will freeze solid with the devil in the middle before I do BF. I didn't do BF even BEFORE I was mustachian, because I figured out years ago that all the actual good deals are during the month of October. The real deals are gone by 2nd week in November.

It took me 30 years just to get my momma to quit buying that shit to give to me. I'd rather her make me some biscuits and pork chops.

Great thing now is, I get biscuits and pork chops any time I go home to visit. Life is good!

Maybe your mom can talk to my mom!  I've been trying to get her to stop buying crap for years, but to no avail. I'm 40 and almost FI!!! All I want is to spend quality time with her. She even has the kids dreading Christmas.  All my son wants is one of her pecan pies

And no, I don't go shopping on BF. Because both of my brothers are nursing in a hospital and usually have to work the holiday we using celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday.

Well, she still talks about buying me stuff, but I seem to be able to distract her with the biscuits and pork chops, so don't misunderstand, it's kinda an ongoing struggle.

Regarding your mom: Figure out what you like best that she makes (it helps if she's good at it too) and lay it on thick. BEG for it. Pour on the guilt, and tell her you'd WAY rather have her cooking than her buying presents.

It helps if she's the kind of mom that likes putting food in front of you, too. My mom is that way.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
It's a total family bonding experience for us, but I like the way we do it. My mom, her sister, and I are all recreational shoppers.
between $300-$500 and get almost all my Christmas shopping for the year done. For me, it's an absolute blast the way we do it. Mustachian, maybe not, but it's also not the crazy people who are skipping dinner to line up for TVs.

On Saturday, we go to shop small Saturday in a neighboring suburb of my childhood home, and then to a Christkindlmarket. For a family that loves to shop, it's a great way to spend the weekend.

Good Lord, what-the-hell are you doing in these forums. You do know where you've landed, right? This isn't the "How To Get Great Deals" forums, it's "How To Flip The Bird To The Man" forums. An example quote from our fearless leader:

Every material object must be looked upon as a lifelong burden. Will its benefits outweigh the lifelong burden? Consider carefully.

To put this principle into profitable practice, just remember this rule: You never, ever go “shopping”. You go to the grocery store and get stuff for salads and the healthiest meals you can dream up. And that’s it.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/20/wealth-advice-that-should-be-obvious/

Said in my best preacher voice:

Sister, surely you don't shop this way while living in a Debt Emergency! Forsake all useless spending and come into the Church of Frugality and Stoic Living. Leave behind the demons of the shopping bag! Find SWR Everlasting through the FIREs of Mustachianism!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
I think I just vomited a shopping bag full by reading this forum thread. I think my head has been symbolically trampled by all the joyful typing I've accidentally read.

Maybe if I go home and have one of my fine 50 cent craft homebrews while I insource work and practice badassity, I can forget all about this.

It's like having Pepe LePew crawl in bed with you. He might be cute, but you sure as hell don't wanna be sprayed by him.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Good Lord, what-the-hell are you doing in these forums. You do know where you've landed, right? This isn't the "How To Get Great Deals" forums, it's "How To Flip The Bird To The Man" forums. An example quote from our fearless leader:

Every material object must be looked upon as a lifelong burden. Will its benefits outweigh the lifelong burden? Consider carefully.

To put this principle into profitable practice, just remember this rule: You never, ever go “shopping”. You go to the grocery store and get stuff for salads and the healthiest meals you can dream up. And that’s it.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/20/wealth-advice-that-should-be-obvious/

Sister, surely you don't shop this way while living in a Debt Emergency! Forsake all useless spending and come into the Church of Frugality and Stoic Living. Leave behind the demons of the shopping bag! Find SWR Everlasting through the FIREs of Mustachianism!

Who would you preach to if I wasn't here?!? In all seriousness, I come to this forum to waste time online at lunch rather than online shopping for more stuff I definitely don't need. I don't think we'll ever be fullblown mustachians, but my hair isn't on fire anymore and I'll retire early for me, if not early for MMM. :) My father is retired early and my mom is working by choice.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice

Who would you preach to if I wasn't here?!? In all seriousness, I come to this forum to waste time online at lunch rather than online shopping for more stuff I definitely don't need. I don't think we'll ever be fullblown mustachians, but my hair isn't on fire anymore and I'll retire early for me, if not early for MMM. :) My father is retired early and my mom is working by choice.

OH sister, Endless numbers of unwashed are constantly finding me here. I'm well known for my facepunches, because I give back to the forums the same way it got given to me when I started. (Search on "poo-flinging monkeys" and you'll find me.)

The unwashed are usually selling nebulous ideas of "balance" and "not being too hard on yourself" and "having a little fun".

I'll be thinking of you on BF, sending good vibes and honest hopes for a safe and uneventful Black Friday.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

OH sister, Endless numbers of unwashed are constantly finding me here. I'm well known for my facepunches, because I give back to the forums the same way it got given to me when I started. (Search on "poo-flinging monkeys" and you'll find me.)

The unwashed are usually selling nebulous ideas of "balance" and "not being too hard on yourself" and "having a little fun".

I'll be thinking of you on BF, sending good vibes and honest hopes for a safe and uneventful Black Friday.

I can always use a facepunch, who can't? Since all the crazy trample down the door people have finished shopping before we roll out of bed, I'm hopeful we'll have a fun day together like we always do, and I'm excited to get all the Christmas shopping for my nephews (toy, outfit, check for college) done in one fell swoop.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Definitely not.

Getting a deal on tires hadn't occurred to me though. Might have to check into that one since I do need to replace tires on both my vehicles (waiting for Faraday to turn those facepunches my way).

We're both off work that day and the idea of going shopping isn't even on the radar.  Instead I plan to take the dog for a run, go see my horse, relax and read and either work on the yard or work on some indoor projects depending on the weather.  We might venture out for Small Business Saturday if Amex does the same $10 cash back deals it ran last year.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Definitely not.

Getting a deal on tires hadn't occurred to me though. Might have to check into that one since I do need to replace tires on both my vehicles (waiting for Faraday to turn those facepunches my way).
It's curious to me that I seem to have run into a type of person here who almost runs up and puts their face on my fist. I don't mean to leave you out, horsepoor, although your online name DOES cry out "Punch me, please?"

BUT NOT TODAY. You're down with the frugal belief that Black Friday is crazy and aren't cheerfully regaling us with loving stories of family shopping on Black Friday.  Heck, if I thought I could get a deal on bicycle tires on Black Friday, I might consider that too.

My best wishes to northernlights are serious and sincere. I think of BF as being almost dangerous any more. I'd HATE to be one of those folks who were killed on BF trying to get the good deals:

BF shopper, newly killed, arrives at the pearly gates:
St. Peter: Hello BF Shopper, how did you die?
BF Shopper: I was trampled to death at a WalMart on Black Friday
St Peter: Idolatry, eh? That's an automatic express line to hell.
(St. Peter turns and pulls a giant golden diamond-encrusted lever and with a WHOOSH, BF shopper disappears)
St Peter: Those BF shoppers always get one hell of a surprise when they show up here! heh heh!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:45:42 PM by Faraday »

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
I found one good deal, but at an absurd time.

Target is offering 10% off gift cards (up to $300) which may be useful for gifts or for yourself if you're like me and shop at Target anyway.

The downside: only available 6am-12pm on Thursday... yikes.

Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone interested in saving money.

onehair

• Bristles
Nay! I may come to work since it is so quiet and uneventful.  I may stay home but I used to prefer Cyber Monday when I shopped heavily before getting into mostly handmade and homemade items.

sunday

• Stubble
I know I'm not as hardcore mustachion as many are here, but even I can't comprehend why we're talking about the joys of Black Friday shopping on this forum.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
If there is something that I specifically need to buy, then I might consider searching for it in an online BF deal, but there is no way in hell I'd go out to a store in that insanit.  I went once about 10 years ago and it was an utter waste of time.  I can buy some POS electronics or 2nd tier album for 50% off?  Whoopie!

Yep, only online.  I once got up at like 3 AM to get some stupid Black Friday laptop from Walmart and they were sold out by the time I got there.  From watching the news, I'm apparently lucky I wasn't trampled to death that morning.

I think there used to be better, more widespread great deals.  But thanks to free market capitalism, we not get great deals on a regular basis -- for example, most black Friday deals aren't any better than the ones you will regularly see on slickdeals, and the ones that really are better you have to pay for by camping out for hours ahead of time.  Retailers (e.g. amazon) have been rolling out their sales earlier and earlier.  And of course the sales continue later and later -- you can often get better deals right before or after Christmas if a retailer realizes they haven't hit their target.  I remember late one December I got a bunch of Ralph Lauren polos for like $15 each on the official site just because there was a global financial crisis.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:04:12 AM by dragoncar »

asauer

• Pencil Stache
Nope!  Chaos and crowds aren't my thing.  I used to go with my mom when I was young and enjoyed the lights and hot cocoa (my mom was obsessed with black Friday).  But after standing in long lines with her for a couple of years, the novelty wore off.  I have and will do cyber Monday though!

dramaman

• Pencil Stache
I realized long ago that entering a store on Black Friday was merely trading my time and peace of mind for savings on something I probably don't even really need. No thank you. If I really need something, I'm willing to pay the regular price NOT to shop on Black Friday.

maco

• Bristles
I've never gone out on Black Friday. I shop throughout the year and prefer most-or-all gifts I give to be handmade. Some of them I make, and some of them are bought from various potters and woodworkers I know.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
I realized long ago that entering a store on Black Friday was merely trading my time and peace of mind for savings on something I probably don't even really need. No thank you. If I really need something, I'm willing to pay the regular price NOT to shop on Black Friday.

I've never gone out on Black Friday. I shop throughout the year and prefer most-or-all gifts I give to be handmade. Some of them I make, and some of them are bought from various potters and woodworkers I know.

Heh heh heh. I love this. Keep on rockin in the free wurld. :-)

Money Mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I went about 7 or 8 years ago, and I have to say it was kind of fun! My employer is closed on Black Friday and I saw a few things I wanted in the ads, so figured "what the heck". So I got up at something like 3:30 AM to get to Kohls at 4 for a 4 AM opening (or something like that). I didn't want to stand in line but figured by the time I parked and walked up to the door the people waiting would be inside and I could walk in, which is just about what happened. I grabbed the item I wanted (new kitchen knife set for $40), checked out, and headed to Target for their 5 AM opening. When I got there there were maybe 5 people in line. I got in line and we all chatted while trying to move around a bit to stay warm. As the line started to build, some Target staff came out with free small (sample sized) Starbucks Mint Mochas and passed them out to everyone in line (maybe 100 people?).  They opened the doors and everyone walked quickly but no running or stampedes. I picked up the 4 things I wanted (all gifts for other people that would have been out of my budget otherwise), checked out and then headed home.

I got home at 6 AM, just when my DH got home from work (he works 3rd shift) and I showed him the deals I scored. Then I took a nap for a few hours before getting up for the day.

Like I said, it was actually kind of fun. I wouldn't mind doing it again but ever since then I've never found any deal worth getting up that early for. For some reason that year there were just a couple of things that made it worth the effort.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
I've gone a few times to the not crazy places, no Walmart or target for sure. And not before 8am for sure. I got an excellent deal on a suit and dress shirts a few years ago on BF at Express, I still have it all. I had a job interview coming up so I needed something nice to wear.

My sister goes every year at like 4am! Buys a bunch of crap.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
My girl scout troop used to earn money for summer trips by providing baggers at Wal-mart on Black Friday (in the late 90s).  I did it twice (fortunately you had to be 16+ to be eligible for this special opportunity!!) and it REALLY turned me off the whole Black Friday concept.  The store was a zoo, soooooo much plastic crap just whizzing through the checkouts, and the staff were all exhausted.

In college, my dad once pressured me to go to a Best Buy on Black Friday to get a cheap scanner that he thought I "needed".  Well, guess what, that scanner was a POS and PITA to use and the result was that I used it maybe a half dozen times before retiring it to a spot under the sofa in the parent's rec room.  My big takeaway from that is that most of the killer BF deals are probably for, well...junk.  The fact that my dad is definitely the sort of person who would think he's immune to BF nonsense and only up for "really good" deals of stuff he "needs"....but could still be persuaded to buy that POS scanner just solidified for me that it is best to steer clear, even if it does mean missing an amazing deal every once in a while.  I periodically get emails or mailings for AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY DEALS and about 90% of the items are things I would just absolutely NEVER want in my house.  9% are things I might want, but not the version that's for sale.  The remaining 1% I might want, but the "deal" is just not that great, or I'm pretty sure I can find it in good shape for less on craigslist.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
Nay, nay!   My crazy story is I have NEVER gone black Friday shopping.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
Got up this morning and after a few clicks, bought my son a tv for Christmas, and now I'm done.

Easy peasy.

Happy Thanksgiving, Americans. 

Valetta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've only been out in the stores when I was working retail on Black Friday, never as a shopper. So it's been 10+ years since I was out and about that day, I just stay inside and away from the craziness.

I will shop online a little that day though. I'm almost done with my holiday shopping - probably 85% there - but I'll look for a few deals for the people I have left. I have done pretty well online that day in the past, finding a few deals. I'm always at work on "cyber monday" so I don't do any shopping that day.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
It seems to me that BF has really become a week-long thing running from this past Monday through cyber Monday.

I do take advantage of the sales during this time to buy some types of presents.   Eg., just got my child a kindle fire kids package for $85 as pretty much her only present from us other than clothes (santa will bring her 2 toys of her choice too).   However, I do it online, after having already watched prices for a while to know if I'm really getting a deal and usually only buy the 1-2 things that we were actually planning on getting that really are at a sale price.

NFW I'm going into a store during this time.   NFW.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
I do the opposite of Black Friday, my family has their thanksgiving the day before so everyone can get there who needs to work... which is me. So I'm making double time Thanksgiving and Black Friday instead of competing with mobs of mindless dolts at retail outlets :)

reader2580

• Stubble
I am going to Kohls Friday morning to buy clothes for myself.  It will be well after the big crowds are gone.  I have $75 in gift cards to use.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
I am in Canada and we don't have Thanksgiving today.  But we are still having Black Friday sales in some stores tomorrow.  My husband is going out to the Canadian Tire Black Friday sale to look for some kitchen cutting boards.

Happy Thanksgiving to my American MMM friends! 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
I hate shopping and despise BF,  but I did shop on the day after Thanksgiving one time in 1996. I needed a new winter parka, and the mall was five minutes from where we lived. So I got up and went to the big anchor department store at 7:30 am, bought my parka for 75% off, and wore it for fifteen years.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
When I was younger I would go with my Mom & sister.  I haven't gone in 30 years.  In the old days it was not as crazy as it is now.  I enjoyed reading some of the funny stories on this thread. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Well, it's D-Day. I've done some shopping online and plan to do some more tonight. Bought my son a portable basketball system from Sports Authority. Tonight, I plan to pick up assorted winter stuff (gloves, etc) from Kohls.com and I am eyeing a small table tennis table from Target.com. It's on sale for under $100 and would be fun to have in the basement. I don't want to pay very much for something like this - but my whole family likes to play and it would also be nice to have when we have friends over, etc. Maybe reduce the amount of video games my 13 yr old son plays? Hopefully, this will encourage me to use it too - another incentive to be active :) Plus, it can do double duty as an extra dinner table when we have company :)

bigstack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
hate crowds... thus hate black friday.

years ago my brother in law was asked by a friend in military(he was out of the country) to go and buy this tv doorbuster for him at i think it was costco. honestly it was a good deal something like a 50" lcd tv for 80% off ...
we get there and it was cold so many people were waiting in their cars till it was closer to time for them to open.
i just got out of the car and went up to the door and all these people then start streaming to the door from their cars... 10 min later they opened.i told my brother in law to go get the cart while i laid claim to one of the tv's. i walked in briskly to the tv section. found the tv(there were 5 of them there.).... i pulled mine off and set it on ground slid it down the isle to get out of other peoples way. the other tvs were gone in 20 seconds. i am sitting there with my hand securely holding the handle on the tv box and this lady comes up, behind me and grabs the box trying to pull it from my hand and put it on her cart.....
i said "umm excuse me?!"
her: "you dont have a cart thus you can't buy stuff, people with carts get to pick first!"( she was visibly pissed)
me: "it doesnt work that way"
her: "it does too, do i need to get the manager?"(getting redfaced)
me: "yes go look for the manger, I will wait her for you"(no intention of waiting for her :) )
her: "no you go get manager and i will watch the tv"
me: "(lol) ya ok lady why don't you just move along and leave me be"
her : "i will scream rape and tell people you touched me"
me: " not to be rude but no one is gonna believe that i would touch you" (she was not attractive inside or out apparently.)
her: (she starts making frustration noises , stomps her foot and such)
 and then my BIL finally shows up ask what the heck is going on i say just load it up and lets get out of here....

people are nuts.

my BIL told his buddy that his BIL had to sexually assault a woman to get the tv. BIL said the wtf expression on his face was priceless.

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Nay!  I hate crowds. I like shopping but not like that. 

I was an ER nurse. Every year we would get at least one trampled old lady, a dfo, twisted ankle, crazy stuff.

Making Cents

• Stubble
Nay.

I try to restrict shopping (whether groceries or clothing or gifts...) to stuff that is on a pre-prepared list and that i've thought at least 24 hours (usually longer) about buying. So I will check online deals for Cyber Monday for items I have on my radar to buy that might be marked down, but shopping in crowds for something that might be tempting as an impulse buy i might or might not actually use? No thanks! :)

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
Nay.

I'm done with shopping by mid-November.  There is nothing I need/want that badly to deal with Black Friday craziness. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member

years ago my brother in law was asked by a friend in military(he was out of the country) to go and buy this tv doorbuster for him at i think it was costco. honestly it was a good deal something like a 50" lcd tv for 80% off ...
we get there and it was cold so many people were waiting in their cars till it was closer to time for them to open.
i just got out of the car and went up to the door and all these people then start streaming to the door from their cars... 10 min later they opened.i told my brother in law to go get the cart while i laid claim to one of the tv's. i walked in briskly to the tv section. found the tv(there were 5 of them there.).... i pulled mine off and set it on ground slid it down the isle to get out of other peoples way. the other tvs were gone in 20 seconds. i am sitting there with my hand securely holding the handle on the tv box and this lady comes up, behind me and grabs the box trying to pull it from my hand and put it on her cart.....
i said "umm excuse me?!"
her: "you dont have a cart thus you can't buy stuff, people with carts get to pick first!"( she was visibly pissed)
me: "yes go look for the manger, I will wait her for you"(no intention of waiting for her :) )
me: " not to be rude but no one is gonna believe that i would touch you" (she was not attractive inside or out apparently.)
 and then my BIL finally shows up ask what the heck is going on i say just load it up and lets get out of here....

people are nuts.

my BIL told his buddy that his BIL had to sexually assault a woman to get the tv. BIL said the wtf expression on his face was priceless.

That sounds like a good deal, but honestly I haven't seen any doorbusters that are worth waiting in line or fighting other people for.  Most of them are like a $100 saving max and it's not worth risking your life :-P

bigstack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

i said "umm excuse me?!"

people are nuts.

That sounds like a good deal, but honestly I haven't seen any doorbusters that are worth waiting in line or fighting other people for.  Most of them are like a $100 saving max and it's not worth risking your life :-P

ya i think black friday stopped having really good deals 7-8 years ago. businesses used to have things where they would lose money(loss leaders of significant amounts). now the "deal" lets them break even or barely lose money

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Happy to report that the hubs and I just ordered 300$ nexus 5's. We have been planning an upcoming phone order, and specifically planning to buy this phone.

DD also needed new booster seats as she has outgrown the car seat. Turbo boosters on sale for 30$ at Target, I've never seen them for sale below 40, 50 is regular price.

So there are definitely good deals but they are for very specific things.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
I ended up hitting a black Friday sale - half price turkeys!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
We slept in, made a late breakfast. Cleaned the house and I reloaded all the ink tanks in the inkjet printer for about a buck.

It has been an excellent "FIRE-like" Friday!!!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
I bought a box of toothpicks.  They weren't on sale.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
I can't believe this but I went to the mall yesterday. Hilariously, there were some baked people there. Smelled pretty sweet in both the Footlocker and the exterior stairwell.

Drove the micro-car so I could squeeze into a narrow spot rejected by others (which worked). Biggest crowd I've ever seen at that mall by about 10x.

The kids pestered me:
"Mom, can we go to Black Friday?"
"What? I don't know what you're talking about. Where is this 'black Friday'?"
"It's at the mall. Puhleeze, I want to do something for Black Friday."
"Black Friday is not a holiday. It's just something the stores made up. Why do you want to go to the mall?"
"I need a new phone case."
"What? Did yours break?"
"No, Mike put it up his butt." (Mike is my other offspring)
"Ewww, that's gross. Please tell me he didn't really do that."
"I know, right? He put it in his pants and was walking around like that. Plus, Mike needs a new case too because his is broken and taped back together. Can we go?"
"Maybe. Do you have your own money? There's going to be a gazillion people at the mall and I really don't want to go there today. How about tomorrow?"
"Mawhawhm! There's gazillions of people there because of the awesome deals TODAY ONLY!!! Don't you watch the news?"
"You heard about black Friday on the news?"
"Ummm, no, but I saw a Southpark about it. It was really hilarious."

Mike comes down.
Mike: "Mom, can we go to Black Friday?"
"What is this 'Black Friday' you two keep yammering on about?"
"I know you've heard of this. There's really good deals, Mom. Pleeeease."
"Do you have your own money?"
"Yes, I have $25 and a giftcard, see?"
"I've got to clean and mop the dining room and you two know you have to unload the dishwasher before we can do anything today."

Both start unloading dishwasher.

"And who wants to fold the laundry?"
Mike: "I'll fold. So can we go?"
"Maybe after we are done with these chores."
"There are really awesome deals on black Friday Mom, like 90% off. I know you like to get a good deal."
"That's not really true. It's all just a fairy tale to get people excited about going to the mall. All I really have on my shopping list right now is beets and filters for the HVAC."
"Why do they call it black Friday anyway? That seems kind of racist."
"It's an accounting term. It's because when you have money it's called "being in the black" and when you owe more money than you have it's called "being in the red." Today is the day that the stores start making money for the year. Or so they say."
"Oh. But there's really good deals!"
"And do the deals have electrolytes?"
"Uh, what?"
"Nevermind. After we're done with these chores I will drive you to the mall since you have your own money. But don't be surprised if the deals aren't that awesome."
"Yay yay yay, we're going to black Friday!"

And now the downside:
One child had been eyeing a jacket that was $80 last month and the time before that, but yesterday they had it as the "Black Friday special" at $39.99. So now black Friday is really stamped into their minds for all eternity. Sigh.

Celda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I think it can definitely be worthwhile if you are informed and buy things that are actually a good deal and that you actually want/need, rather than just because it's on sale.

I myself bought three video games, each of which was on heavy sale. $30 regular down to $10, $40 down to $20, and $20 down to $9.

And, the Best Buy I went to had no line at all - I was in and out in less than 5 minutes.

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am a Software Engineer for a major retailer.  I was testing some queries against our production pricing database the other day and I noticed that most of the items that are on sale for BF are going to be even cheaper on the 23rd and 24th of December.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
I wouldn't go in person. But I love being able to get stuff online. And I certainly love a certain Canadian dealhunting forum.

So this year, I got:

A couple of Moto E phones - one which I'll probably use as a phone, the other will in theory be used for my Perking hobby/side beer money thingamabob

My wife a 'free' extra Gb of data on her cell plan

A sewing machine from Amazon for the same wife as previously mentioned

A 'tablet plan' SIM card which, if it works right, will give me 1Gb of data a month for $5 (it's usually $5 for 10Mb/steps up to $20 for $1Gb). Fingers crossed.

Oh, I spent some money at one store on Thursday - they were trying to pre-empt BF by doing "Red Thursday" (Canadian Tire). Where I got a pair of winter boots, some windshield fluid, a shovel, a car snow brush, and a tarp. I think I 'saved' $60, paid $85, but I also paid with gift cards I'd got for 10% off earlier.

I dunno. I reckon I did ok!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
I had perused this thread previously, laughing at this strange American holiday that has invaded our fliers in recent years, knowing I would never witness it first hand.

Tonight, I emerged from my study dungeon and asked my mother if she had plans for dinner (hoping she would cook). She wanted to go buy Christmas cake ingredients and try on a polar bear sweater that she'd previously seen, and promised to cook or buy me dinner if I came along. This sounded fun, and I hadn't seen the outside world in at least 24 hours, so off we went.

Arriving at the mall, I was baffled. People went to work today, it is a weeknight, why we're they all out shopping? Why were we parking in a lot used only the week before Christmas and to store excess snow in late winter? And in the icy rain, I concluded....these people think black Friday is a thing. A cultural exchange has been made. I must adapt or my offspring will not survive in our new world.

Anyway, it wasn't too bad inside, we tried on the sweater, I reflexively went to try on coats, since mine has needed replacing for two yeArs (I've been half heArtedly looking at least that long), and found one that meets my needs at an excellent price.

Oh, and all those people buying kindle fires, I love mine, but left a few of the crazy A auto corrects that it tortures me with. Still an excellent toy and satisfied my schools electric device requirements.

Apparently, Black Friday is now a "thing" in south america too.  At least in Canada, you could have black tuesday :-P

"And do the deals have electrolytes?"

It's got what plants crave!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:58:36 PM by dragoncar »

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
I bought a 40-inch TV on Black Friday.  It sounds incredibly unmustachian, and incredibly unlike me (I have never shopped on BF before).

But, my parents really need a larger TV.  They have one TV (we are one-tv-per-house people), and I think the screen is smaller than 20 inches.  It's very small.  My father has Alzheimer's, and TV is becoming something that really soothes him and keeps him occupied, especially if my mom has to step out.  He's not going to get better, and TV is making the whole thing more bearable for him.  But he's having trouble seeing the action from across the room on a tiny screen.

So my siblings and I went in on the TV, which was a Samsung smart TV for $289.  I think it was a good deal, and I think my mom is going to be able to work the "smart" functions of the TV.  My cost, with tax, will come to around $103. 

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
I bought a 40-inch TV on Black Friday.  It sounds incredibly unmustachian, and incredibly unlike me (I have never shopped on BF before).

But, my parents really need a larger TV.  They have one TV (we are one-tv-per-house people), and I think the screen is smaller than 20 inches.  It's very small.  My father has Alzheimer's, and TV is becoming something that really soothes him and keeps him occupied, especially if my mom has to step out.  He's not going to get better, and TV is making the whole thing more bearable for him.  But he's having trouble seeing the action from across the room on a tiny screen.

So my siblings and I went in on the TV, which was a Samsung smart TV for $289.  I think it was a good deal, and I think my mom is going to be able to work the "smart" functions of the TV.  My cost, with tax, will come to around $103.

Aw.  I hope your dad really enjoys it.  And your mom too. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!