Author Topic: Big vehicles kill  (Read 72944 times)

Guses

• Pencil Stache
Re: Big vehicles kill
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »
You can't argue that population growth is not a massive part of the problem. Why not introduce tax penalties for those who choose to have children as well?

I was homeschooled, so I suppose my parents paid for it and blah blah blah.

Population growth is only a problem insofar as we keep consuming our non renewal resources at the rate Americans and other developed and developing countries are. Besides, population replacement is not an issue and, in fact, is very much needed to continue living a lifestyle even remotely close to what we are experiencing now.

When you are old and gray, who do you expect to be firefighters and policemen and doctors and ... Other senior citizens? Robots? Alien slaves? No? Well you need to replace the current population and maintain it. That means kids are needed.

I will repeat it again, having children is not the problem, consuming like a black hole is the problem. I would not be surprised to learn that an entire family of 20 Indians has a smaller ecological footprint than a single American.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:59:00 PM by Guses »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2016, 02:56:37 PM »
Evidence is everywhere or why climate change is happening and the consequences.

I just posted an article by a climate scientist refuting a lot of it.  You could argue with that data.

You are one of the last holdouts, either because you like your gigantic F150/SUV and refuse to believe anyone who says it bad, or because you are just ignorant and refuse to education yourself.

Or you could insult me.

Either way.

I don't need to argue with you. Literally thousands of educated professionals who work in the field have already done so. More than that, measurable results prove the theory. Why would you take my word for something while disbelieving thousands of scientists and lots of empirical evidence?

And its not an insult. It is an unfortunate truth.

WHAT measurable results?  If you want to stick to the science, that's one thing, but the fact is there are NOT measurable results that prove anything. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »
I don't have a problem with tax subsidies for oil going away.  I do have a problem with artificially inflating the cost

I think we might have found some common ground here.  We both oppose external meddling by the government to artificially modify oil prices.

But a carbon tax is the exact opposite of meddling, it's a way to let individuals and businesses actually bear the cost of their own consumption, instead of taking government handouts in the form of subsidized prices.  A carbon tax at the point of sale is the ultimate form of personal accountability.  You pay for what you use, and no more, but also no less.  You currently pay less, because the rest of us are paying most of those costs for you.  Thinly veiled subtext:  because you're a freeloader.  Welfare queen.  Taker.  UnAmerican.  Parasite on society.

And in your case, I even have less sympathy than I might otherwise muster.  You're burning extra fuel for your adrenaline soaked hobby, not because you need to transport your six kids or because your slaveholder boss has you tenant farming in the countryside.  If my hobby was chopping down virgin forests to build giant bonfires, I would expect to pay for that privilege too.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2016, 03:03:36 PM »
I don't have a problem with tax subsidies for oil going away.  I do have a problem with artificially inflating the cost

I think we might have found some common ground here.  We both oppose external meddling by the government to artificially modify oil prices.

But a carbon tax is the exact opposite of meddling, it's a way to let individuals and businesses actually bear the cost of their own consumption, instead of taking government handouts in the form of subsidized prices.  A carbon tax at the point of sale is the ultimate form of personal accountability.  You pay for what you use, and no more, but also no less.  You currently pay less, because the rest of us are paying most of those costs for you.  Thinly veiled subtext:  because you're a freeloader.  Welfare queen.  Taker.  UnAmerican.  Parasite on society.

And in your case, I even have less sympathy than I might otherwise muster.  You're burning extra fuel for your adrenaline soaked hobby, not because you need to transport your six kids or because your slaveholder boss has you tenant farming in the countryside.  If my hobby was chopping down virgin forests to build giant bonfires, I would expect to pay for that privilege too.
And I carpool to work in a 10yo used car and take public transit if I go into the city. I'm not sure what the point of your insults are.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »

And I carpool to work in a 10yo used car and take public transit if I go into the city. I'm not sure what the point of your insults are.

Sol was not insulting you, he was simply pointing out (in a humorous way, IMO) that what you are saying and what you are doing don't agree with each other.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2016, 03:08:34 PM »

Sol was not insulting you, he was simply pointing out (in a humorous way, IMO) that what you are saying and what you are doing don't agree with each other.

How so?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
I love how living on a farm that literally grows the food you eat is considered "Luxury that needs to be taxed" while living in a city surrounded by miles of asphalt with every service and consumable imaginable at your fingertips is considered 'low impact.'

On the flip side, this carbon tax would make it unaffordable to live in cities. Shipping raw materials and food products from outlying agricultural areas would become prohibitively expensive, and the cost passed onto the consumer would be enormous. People living in rural areas that could grow their own food, have a well, space for solar panels and biofuels would be so much better off than those people stored in efficient cubes in the city.

So...since the technology to do this doesn't exist, and the rudimentary systems that do are underdeveloped, wouldn't it be better to take the taxes, not give them back, and use it to spur innovation and more fully develop biofuels and alternative energy sources?  Kinda like cigarette taxes - non smokers don't get a tax rebate - Everyone gets access to the education and treatment programs provided by these taxes. Look at how the rates of smoking have fallen due to education programs.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2016, 08:45:48 PM »
I love how living on a farm that literally grows the food you eat is considered "Luxury that needs to be taxed" while living in a city surrounded by miles of asphalt with every service and consumable imaginable at your fingertips is considered 'low impact.'

Farming is not a luxury, it's a vital social service.  But right now we all pay to subsidize farmers instead of paying the true costs of their products.  Imagine how much innovation we might spur if we paid for our food directly instead of through taxes, and opened up other cost competitive foods that currently aren't subsidized.  You don't seriously think McDonald's can make a cheesburger for 89 cents, do you?

City living is only more "low-impact" because it centralizes services.  City folk use less transportation fuel, less electricity, and less water/sewer treatment.  They also don't destroy huge swaths of natural ecosystems the way country folk do, and it's not because they don't want to.  It's just because they can't afford to live that way in the heart of a city.

On the flip side, this carbon tax would make it unaffordable to live in cities. Shipping raw materials and food products from outlying agricultural areas would become prohibitively expensive,

Why would it be more expensive than it is now?  We currently pay those same costs through taxes, which just removes the cost consideration from the decision making process because it's like a sunk cost.  We've already paid most of the cost with our high tax rates, which are used to subsidize the true costs to consumers.  If we had lower taxes, but had to actually pay for that shipping if we wanted it, we might resort to more local manufacturing (think of the jobs!), more urban farming, and less plastic crap shipped by Amazon from China.

By hiding the true costs from the consumer, we're just encouraging waste.  I'm angling for more efficiency in our economy, a more free and transparent market.  Stop obscuring the costs by offloading them onto the tax base.

wouldn't it be better to take the taxes, not give them back, and use it to spur innovation and more fully develop biofuels and alternative energy sources?

Great idea!  Personally I would support a plan to develop more sustainable energy sources based on what they actually cost, instead of just using our tax dollars to continue enriching oil companies by artificially depressing oil prices.  The current system is about as far from a "free market" as I can imagine.  I'd much rather let every energy source compete for market share on an even footing. 

Kinda like cigarette taxes - non smokers don't get a tax rebate - Everyone gets access to the education and treatment programs provided by these taxes. Look at how the rates of smoking have fallen due to education programs.

You don't think the 100% tax on cigarettes has anything to do with falling smoking rates?

I agree that spending the money on education programs has also helped, but I think doubling the cost of the products also discourages some people.  That's the whole point of a vice tax, to discourage you from doing it as often by making it more expensive for you.

Which is exactly why I don't like the income tax, and would prefer to see it cut to help gain passage of a carbon consumption tax.  Why are we currently discouraging people from working by taxing their work?  There are lots of things we could tax instead.  All I'm suggesting is a slight adjustment here, to tax working a little bit less and tax burning carbon a little bit more.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2016, 09:29:19 PM »

Farming is not a luxury, it's a vital social service.  But right now we all pay to subsidize farmers instead of paying the true costs of their products.  Imagine how much innovation we might spur if we paid for our food directly instead of through taxes, and opened up other cost competitive foods that currently aren't subsidized.  You don't seriously think McDonald's can make a cheesburger for 89 cents, do you?

City living is only more "low-impact" because it centralizes services.  City folk use less transportation fuel, less electricity, and less water/sewer treatment.  They also don't destroy huge swaths of natural ecosystems the way country folk do, and it's not because they don't want to.  It's just because they can't afford to live that way in the heart of a city.

On the flip side, this carbon tax would make it unaffordable to live in cities. Shipping raw materials and food products from outlying agricultural areas would become prohibitively expensive,

Why would it be more expensive than it is now? We currently pay those same costs through taxes, which just removes the cost consideration from the decision making process because it's like a sunk cost.  We've already paid most of the cost with our high tax rates, which are used to subsidize the true costs to consumers.  If we had lower taxes, but had to actually pay for that shipping if we wanted it, we might resort to more local manufacturing (think of the jobs!), more urban farming, and less plastic crap shipped by Amazon from China.

By hiding the true costs from the consumer, we're just encouraging waste.  I'm angling for more efficiency in our economy, a more free and transparent market.  Stop obscuring the costs by offloading them onto the tax base.

wouldn't it be better to take the taxes, not give them back, and use it to spur innovation and more fully develop biofuels and alternative energy sources?

Great idea!  Personally I would support a plan to develop more sustainable energy sources based on what they actually cost, instead of just using our tax dollars to continue enriching oil companies by artificially depressing oil prices.  The current system is about as far from a "free market" as I can imagine.  I'd much rather let every energy source compete for market share on an even footing. 

Kinda like cigarette taxes - non smokers don't get a tax rebate - Everyone gets access to the education and treatment programs provided by these taxes. Look at how the rates of smoking have fallen due to education programs.

You don't think the 100% tax on cigarettes has anything to do with falling smoking rates?

I agree that spending the money on education programs has also helped, but I think doubling the cost of the products also discourages some people.  That's the whole point of a vice tax, to discourage you from doing it as often by making it more expensive for you.

Which is exactly why I don't like the income tax, and would prefer to see it cut to help gain passage of a carbon consumption tax.  Why are we currently discouraging people from working by taxing their work?  There are lots of things we could tax instead.  All I'm suggesting is a slight adjustment here, to tax working a little bit less and tax burning carbon a little bit more.

1) Fuel costs quintupling would dramatically increase shipping costs.

2) Does this include removing tax credits for solar, electric cars, energy-efficient improvements, etc?

3) Increasing the federal gasoline tax by 4200% is more than a 'slight adjustment.' C'mon now.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2016, 10:32:08 PM »

Why would it be more expensive than it is now?  We currently pay those same costs through taxes, which just removes the cost consideration from the decision making process because it's like a sunk cost.  We've already paid most of the cost with our high tax rates, which are used to subsidize the true costs to consumers.  If we had lower taxes, but had to actually pay for that shipping if we wanted it, we might resort to more local manufacturing (think of the jobs!), more urban farming, and less plastic crap shipped by Amazon from China.

Deductive reasoning. If we no longer subsidize those costs through the tax base, they must be recouped somehow. Higher prices. You are correct: their true price would be revealed, and it would be higher. Which is great! For all the reasons you mentioned

And I completely agree that these higher prices would spur "more local manufacturing (think of the jobs!), more urban farming...." etc. That's the whole point! Everyone would become more efficient. Rural people, already used to living independently, would benefit the same way as urban people - they would just have much more land for a biofuel algae pond or solar panel installation or a wind farm, more area to grow their own food etc. Parts for their farming equipment, designed by workers in the city, could be 3-d printed onsite - no need to ship them in large trucks.  The congestion and tight quarters of the city would not be an issue to rural people and food prices would be lower due to drastically reduced shipping distances and the fact that they would no longer be subsidizing the cities. It's a complete win for everyone.

To be fair, very few farmers wish to destroy the ecosystem. I see very few tech companies planting trees - logging companies plant millions of trees every year; they know they need to conserve these resources, if only from a purely business perspective. Similar with farmers - low food prices, subsidizing those who don't grow their own food or live far from where it is grown, forces those farmers to need to produce more product per acre to make a profit, necessitating the use of increased chemicals and land clearing etc. Once farmers are no longer hampered by government price adjusting, a fair price could be set and everyone would benefit.

I have no issue with this - except that you're proposing taxing carbon fuels at a level higher than any other energy system.  I get that you're saying it has a 'greater cost', but removing subsidies and adding taxes are two opposing frames of reference...

I'm sorry for being confusing. I did not mean to imply that the price shift didn't have an effect. I was intending to point out that education and research would also add to the effectiveness of the program, on top of the deterrent effect of the price increase. As you pointed out, alcohol (and gasoline) is already taxed at much higher rates than other products to discourage their use. Doubling down on that strategy alone would not be as effective (in my opinion) as coupling the price increase with education on the effects of carbon fuel usage and investment into technology or infrastructure that reduces their use.

This would also be a more efficient plan than straight redistribution. Giving back a tax credit would necessitate a large increase in IRS funding for paperwork processing, auditing, etc., all to end up with the money returning to people who gave it. At least with an education program there is a net gain to society. Also I feel this law would be much less complicated to implement than altering the income tax code dramatically.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2016, 11:03:41 PM »
And I completely agree that these higher prices would spur "more local manufacturing (think of the jobs!), more urban farming...." etc. That's the whole point! Everyone would become more efficient. Rural people, already used to living independently, would benefit the same way as urban people - they would just have much more land for a biofuel algae pond or solar panel installation or a wind farm, more area to grow their own food etc. Parts for their farming equipment, designed by workers in the city, could be 3-d printed onsite - no need to ship them in large trucks.  The congestion and tight quarters of the city would not be an issue to rural people and food prices would be lower due to drastically reduced shipping distances and the fact that they would no longer be subsidizing the cities. It's a complete win for everyone.

Oh FFS...

Urban farming will produce a tiny fraction of the leafy greens a city needs, and that's about it.  There's simply no way to grow the amount of food used by people packed into tiny little shithole apartments in a city.  Rooftop gardens & such are great ways to produce expensive produce for people who want to pay extra feel good about themselves, but it won't feed a city.

Biofuel algae at a personal level makes no sense.  It also makes little to no sense at any other level.  Unless your goal is to extract subsidies from a government that has no concept of what actually works.  You could branch out into hydrogen while you're at it.  Biofuels are a subsidy dumpster.  A damned good one, though.

The reason farmers can't make their own equipment is because it's in the interests of John Deere and similar to make it difficult to repair tractors.  They're DRM'd from here to the next county, and if you don't have the digital signing keys, cool.  You can't fix it.  It's not "your" tractor in the way that a 1950s tractor was.  You think most farmers don't either have a metal shop or know someone who does?  3D printing of replacement parts is absurd.  A good sintered metal printer that can print something competent for structural needs is as expensive as the whole damned tractor.  You're not going to harvest crops with a consumer 3D printed part, even if you could get the plans from companies whose entire business model involves not giving you anything to repair your own tractor.

Cities exist at their current density because transportation for everything a city needs is cheap.  That's it.  And they're running into serious problems with affordability even today, because it's in the interests of people who own land to keep that land value increasing at insane rates - which is what happens if they object to development on any grounds possible.  It turns out, "people who own land in dense areas" are generally well connected to politicians who make policies.

The "urban utopia" lots of people seem to think will happen if we just "tax the rural fuckers with their trucks who won't live in a city" and make everyone else live in dense, shitty, urban apartments, sounds like a Soviet era hellscape to me.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2016, 11:24:11 PM »
Urban farming will produce a tiny fraction of the leafy greens a city needs, and that's about it.

As currently practiced?  Sure.  But there is lots of unused land in my city, and producing even 10% of the food the city needs would be a huge savings.  You don't even need to grow it IN the city, just stop shipping it from South America already.  Anything grown within 100 miles is going to be WAY more efficient than shipping hothouse tomatoes from Canada to Florida, or bananas from Peru to Alaska.

Don't discount good ideas just because they're not a whole solution all by themselves.

Biofuel algae at a personal level makes no sense.

I disagree.  It doesn't make sense to fuel for giant pickup, but that is what electricity is for.  Liquid fuels are mostly needed for a handful of applications that require enormous power to weight ratios, like lawnmowers and airplanes.  I don't have an airplane at my house, but I do have a lawnmower.  I'd love to be able to buy a self-contained unit at Sears that generated one gallon of liquid fuel per month, as long as the price was competitive with dead dinosaurs.

The reason farmers can't make their own equipment is because it's in the interests of John Deere and similar to make it difficult to repair tractors.  They're DRM'd from here to the next county,

You're such a pessimist, Syonyk.  You're clearly a bleeding heart hippie environmentalist, but you're so fatalistic about it that you seem to denigrate all efforts to actually improve our society. 

Are you really going to let a little thing like intellectual property copyright law stand in the way of saving humanity from itself?  I'm pretty sure those rules can be changed if the stakes are high enough.  People used to make the same argument you just made about tractors about Windows computers, before Linux became the standard on everyone's smartphone or chromebook. 

3D printing of replacement parts is absurd.  A good sintered metal printer that can print something competent for structural needs is as expensive as the whole damned tractor.

So is a good metal shop, but they really only need one per rural community.  If the John Deere business model is really such a problem, someone will upset it eventually.

The "urban utopia" lots of people seem to think will happen if we just "tax the rural fuckers with their trucks who won't live in a city" and make everyone else live in dense, shitty, urban apartments, sounds like a Soviet era hellscape to me.

I have no desire to "tax the rural fuckers" any more than I do to confine cityfolk to your hypothetical hellscape.  But I do have a desire to see our society operate more efficiently, and that probably means helping people see the real costs of their decisions so we can start moving in the right direction.  Some folks like living in urban density, and some like living all alone in the woods, and both of those are viable options.  I'm not even sure which one you think is more expensive, or more environmentally damaging. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:29:56 PM by sol »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2016, 11:28:56 PM »

Oh FFS...

Urban farming will produce a tiny fraction of the leafy greens a city needs, and that's about it.  There's simply no way to grow the amount of food used by people packed into tiny little shithole apartments in a city.  Rooftop gardens & such are great ways to produce expensive produce for people who want to pay extra feel good about themselves, but it won't feed a city.

Biofuel algae at a personal level makes no sense.  It also makes little to no sense at any other level.  Unless your goal is to extract subsidies from a government that has no concept of what actually works.  You could branch out into hydrogen while you're at it.  Biofuels are a subsidy dumpster.  A damned good one, though.

The reason farmers can't make their own equipment is because it's in the interests of John Deere and similar to make it difficult to repair tractors.  They're DRM'd from here to the next county, and if you don't have the digital signing keys, cool.  You can't fix it.  It's not "your" tractor in the way that a 1950s tractor was.  You think most farmers don't either have a metal shop or know someone who does?  3D printing of replacement parts is absurd.  A good sintered metal printer that can print something competent for structural needs is as expensive as the whole damned tractor.  You're not going to harvest crops with a consumer 3D printed part, even if you could get the plans from companies whose entire business model involves not giving you anything to repair your own tractor.

Cities exist at their current density because transportation for everything a city needs is cheap.  That's it.  And they're running into serious problems with affordability even today, because it's in the interests of people who own land to keep that land value increasing at insane rates - which is what happens if they object to development on any grounds possible.  It turns out, "people who own land in dense areas" are generally well connected to politicians who make policies.

Thank you for saying all the things I couldn't. :D

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2016, 11:29:35 PM »
3) Increasing the federal gasoline tax by 4200% is more than a 'slight adjustment.' C'mon now.

Some of the earlier talk about $10/gallon gas was clearly hyberbolic exaggeration to make a point.  Gas prices are down approximately $2 in the past two years, so at this point even a 100% increase would only put us back to what we were all used to paying.  I'd probably start with an extra 50 cents per gallon and ramp it up from there if that proves to be insufficient incentive for people to conserve.  25% is not 4200%, though I'm not sure where you got 4200% from. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2016, 11:30:43 PM »
I assure you I'm not a "bleeding heart hippie environmentalist."

I certainly accept pessimist, though.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: March 17, 2016, 11:53:59 PM »
I assure you I'm not a "bleeding heart hippie environmentalist."

I certainly accept pessimist, though.

Would it be a waste to ask if you have any solutions to the problems brought up in this thread? Your viewpoint is quite different than Sol's; could you at least agree with his goals, or perhaps his principles, while offering alternatives to his suggestions?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2016, 06:22:21 AM »
One thing to consider is that consumption tax disproportionately affects lower income families. Transportation of some sort is vital to get to work and for many parts of the country, the concept of public transportation does not exist meaningfully.

Significantly higher carbon consumption taxes combined with lowering income taxes to offset this will not help this situation any for poorer families. If the goal is transferring government expenses currently derived from income taxes to purely consumption taxes, it will more negatively impact families who do not pay much in income taxes while simultaneously resulting in a likely "better" situation for higher income families.

Whether this is desirable or not is up to the reader to decide.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2016, 06:29:28 AM »
One thing to consider is that consumption tax disproportionately affects lower income families. Transportation of some sort is vital to get to work and for many parts of the country, the concept of public transportation does not exist meaningfully.

Significantly higher carbon consumption taxes combined with lowering income taxes to offset this will not help this situation any for poorer families. If the goal is transferring government expenses currently derived from income taxes to purely consumption taxes, it will more negatively impact families who do not pay much in income taxes while simultaneously resulting in a likely "better" situation for higher income families.

This is the first valid concern raised about higher carbon taxes in this thread, and one that I share.

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #218 on: March 18, 2016, 06:38:35 AM »

This is the first valid concern raised about higher carbon taxes in this thread, and one that I share.

It is also one that can be somewhat easily remedied (although no solutions are ever perfect) - in Canada you get a sales tax credit in the form of a quarterly check if your income is below a certain point which recognizes this fact. The same could be done for a carbon tax in part of the equation that is done to keep it revenue neutral.

The refund actually increases as your income does to a certain point (I'm assuming this is to reflect that you will be spending somewhat more as your income increases), and then it begins to drop and disappear completely once your income reaches a certain level.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: March 18, 2016, 07:17:37 AM »
It is also one that can be somewhat easily remedied (although no solutions are ever perfect) - in Canada you get a sales tax credit in the form of a quarterly check if your income is below a certain point which recognizes this fact. The same could be done for a carbon tax in part of the equation that is done to keep it revenue neutral.

The refund actually increases as your income does to a certain point (I'm assuming this is to reflect that you will be spending somewhat more as your income increases), and then it begins to drop and disappear completely once your income reaches a certain level.

A key difference is something like this would require you to tax gasoline at a "higher than cost" amount in order to subsidize the lower-income folks who would get a refund.  Considering the primary goal of such a carbon tax I have seen stated in this thread is attempting to reflect the true cost of gasoline...

Also, another goal I saw stated was incentivizing work by transferring the tax burden to consumption instead of income. Phasing out tax credits already results in a considerably higher realized marginal tax rate for lower income families than what most people earning considerably more face. Adding even more phased out tax credits/refunds further reduces the incentive to earn money by making the marginal benefit even lower. As an example, just EITC phaseout and FICA result in a marginal rate of about 30% for someone with a family of four making 25k a year. This ignores all other losses from government relief programs or tax programs.

More programs like your suggestion are nice in theory, but in aggregate they make it even harder to leave poverty. If you can double your salary but have nearly the same financial situation (which is what a lot of folks below the poverty line face) how is that incentivizing work? It is only incentivizing working at jobs paying much higher than poverty level.

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »

A key difference is something like this would require you to tax gasoline at a "higher than cost" amount in order to subsidize the lower-income folks who would get a refund.  Considering the primary goal of such a carbon tax I have seen stated in this thread is attempting to reflect the true cost of gasoline...

Also, another goal I saw stated was incentivizing work by transferring the tax burden to consumption instead of income. Phasing out tax credits already results in a considerably higher realized marginal tax rate for lower income families than what most people earning considerably more face. Adding even more phased out tax credits/refunds further reduces the incentive to earn money by making the marginal benefit even lower. As an example, just EITC phaseout and FICA result in a marginal rate of about 30% for someone with a family of four making 25k a year. This ignores all other losses from government relief programs or tax programs.

More programs like your suggestion are nice in theory, but in aggregate they make it even harder to leave poverty. If you can double your salary but have nearly the same financial situation (which is what a lot of folks below the poverty line face) how is that incentivizing work? It is only incentivizing working at jobs paying much higher than poverty level.

For sake of discussion lets say we need a carbon tax (I know you may not agree that's fair, but just to keep things to the tax side for now).

I agree with all of your points - but at the end of the day you have to do something to ensure new taxes are not regressive as you said earlier, while still not too heavily discouraging work. It's always a balancing act the same as any tax but that doesn't mean that nothing should be done at all.

The fact that the refund actually increases as income rises somewhat counteracts the disincentive as by the time it peaks at around 35k or so (in reference to the Canadian sales tax) most people are already fully in the workforce and should not be swayed as easily by the slowly decreasing refund.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2016, 07:49:52 AM »

Some of the earlier talk about $10/gallon gas was clearly hyberbolic exaggeration to make a point.  Gas prices are down approximately $2 in the past two years, so at this point even a 100% increase would only put us back to what we were all used to paying.  I'd probably start with an extra 50 cents per gallon and ramp it up from there if that proves to be insufficient incentive for people to conserve.  25% is not 4200%, though I'm not sure where you got 4200% from.

4200% is roughly the increase required to bring the $0.184/gallon tax to $8.00/gallon, which would approximately bring the current ~$2/gal pricing to $10/gal.  An extra 50 cents on an 18 cent tax is not 25%...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:51:53 AM by JLee »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2016, 08:04:54 AM »

For sake of discussion lets say we need a carbon tax (I know you may not agree that's fair, but just to keep things to the tax side for now).

This is what always cracks me up.  "OMG it's life or death WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW AND IT MAY ALREADY BE TOO LATE" but "well, let's not burden poor people too much trying to save the world."

So which is it?  So vitally important that it MUST be done, or not important enough that we can screw around with it so as to not affect certain groups we don't want to?  This is why a lot of us get the feel it's a control grab. 

It really feels like just a way to punish only rich people who drive SUVs. 

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2016, 08:14:46 AM »

This is what always cracks me up.  "OMG it's life or death WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW AND IT MAY ALREADY BE TOO LATE" but "well, let's not burden poor people too much trying to save the world."

So which is it?  So vitally important that it MUST be done, or not important enough that we can screw around with it so as to not affect certain groups we don't want to?  This is why a lot of us get the feel it's a control grab. 

Dude settle down - I wanted to discuss the points of the tax implementation with him without having to agree with him if it was actually needed or not.

It wasn't me who even brought up the point of carbon tax being regressive it was him, therefore I came up with a possible solution.

There is never a 100% absolutely perfect solution in a highly complex topic such as this one is, needing to find one before acting at all is not logical.

Quite frankly simmer down, start reading the actual discussion or go away.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »

I am thinking that a carbon tax would make business models like these transition towards selling more serviceable machines. I guess it does not fix the DRM problem but maybe this would make 1950's tractor restoration a viable business?

I disagree that a carbon tax is regressive in that way. By definition, poor people are poor because they don't have a lot of money and therefore cannot consume a lot. Are we saying that we are currently subsidizing the Carbon generated by poor people?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2016, 08:25:53 AM »

Dude settle down - I wanted to discuss the points of the tax implementation with him without having to agree with him if it was actually needed or not.

It wasn't me who even brought up the point of carbon tax being regressive it was him, therefore I came up with a possible solution.

There is never a 100% absolutely perfect solution in a highly complex topic such as this one is, needing to find one before acting at all is not logical.

Quite frankly simmer down, start reading the actual discussion or go away.

Simmer down?  I've got a big smile on my face, don't worry about me.  I just love watching the greenies try to twist and turn their logic so that we can solve global warming solely on the backs of SUV-driving yuppies and pickup-driving blue collar "rednecks".  If only those ignorant yokels could be made to drive a Prius!

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »

I am thinking that a carbon tax would make business models like these transition towards selling more serviceable machines. I guess it does not fix the DRM problem but maybe this would make 1950's tractor restoration a viable business?

If you are concerned about carbon emissions and gas usage, I don't think using 1950's tractors is the way to go.  Maybe congress could fix the DRM.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »

If you are concerned about carbon emissions and gas usage, I don't think using 1950's tractors is the way to go.  Maybe congress could fix the DRM.

Retrofitted with a fusion reactor of course!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:25:02 AM by Guses »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2016, 08:35:21 AM »

Modern emissions systems are incredibly impressive - going back to 50's tech would be terrible for the air.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/emissions-test-car-vs-truck-vs-leaf-blower.html

Consider that the Fiat 500 produced more than double the NOx and more than three times the hydrocarbons of the truck. A close look at the vehicles' underhood emissions labels sheds further light — the Fiat 500 is classed as LEV-II, whereas the Raptor in California trim is ULEV-II. The Raptor's emissions control equipment is simply more capable. It's only in the production of carbon dioxide (CO2) — not yet directly regulated by EPA or CARB — where the Raptor is the higher emitter.

Notably:
Here's why you should care. When the Raptor (and the Fiat) was running Phase 2 of its tests on the dyno, it was cleaning the air of hydrocarbons. Yes, there were actually fewer hydrocarbons in the Raptor's exhaust than in the air it — and we — breathed. In the Raptor's case, the ambient air contained 2.821 ppm of total hydrocarbons, and the amount of total hydrocarbons coming out the Raptor's tailpipe measured 2.639 ppm.
I understand the "omg trucks burn so much fuel for no reason" argument, but claiming that they heavy pollution contributors (especially while so many people here drive old cars and don't repair emissions equipment failures because "the car still runs fine") is misleading.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #229 on: March 18, 2016, 09:22:42 AM »
As currently practiced?  Sure.  But there is lots of unused land in my city, and producing even 10% of the food the city needs would be a huge savings.  You don't even need to grow it IN the city, just stop shipping it from South America already.  Anything grown within 100 miles is going to be WAY more efficient than shipping hothouse tomatoes from Canada to Florida, or bananas from Peru to Alaska.

Don't discount good ideas just because they're not a whole solution all by themselves.

http://conservationmagazine.org/2016/01/this-is-why-cities-cant-grow-all-their-own-food/

I agree with growing closer in, but growing in the city just isn't feasible.  Plus, lots of people seem to view "empty land in the city" or "single family houses with yards" as "places to put apartments so we can cram even more people into the city."  More people plus less green space reduces the percentage you can feed.

At least in many areas, cities expand out to take over all the free land around them, and buy out farms to turn into more housing.  So, yes, shipping food long distances is still going to happen.

I disagree.  It doesn't make sense to fuel for giant pickup, but that is what electricity is for.  Liquid fuels are mostly needed for a handful of applications that require enormous power to weight ratios, like lawnmowers and airplanes.  I don't have an airplane at my house, but I do have a lawnmower.  I'd love to be able to buy a self-contained unit at Sears that generated one gallon of liquid fuel per month, as long as the price was competitive with dead dinosaurs.

I actually was stating my opinion that algeal biofuel is in the same category as fusion - "a good place to get a lot of government grants."  As near as I can tell, it's not production ready, isn't being scaled up, and probably isn't going to be.

... for your lawnmower?  Really?  Use an extension cord.  Or put in some gardens.

You're such a pessimist, Syonyk.  You're clearly a bleeding heart hippie environmentalist, but you're so fatalistic about it that you seem to denigrate all efforts to actually improve our society.

See my follow up post.  I don't think "minor tweaks to industrial civilization" are going to solve the problems that industrial civilization has created.

Are you really going to let a little thing like intellectual property copyright law stand in the way of saving humanity from itself?  I'm pretty sure those rules can be changed if the stakes are high enough.  People used to make the same argument you just made about tractors about Windows computers, before Linux became the standard on everyone's smartphone or chromebook.

Ok.  Go find me someone who wants to change those rules who has the power to do so.  I'm pretty sure John Deere would find it in their interests to help out some struggling campaigns if needed, to secure their intellectual property rights.

I have no desire to "tax the rural fuckers" any more than I do to confine cityfolk to your hypothetical hellscape.  But I do have a desire to see our society operate more efficiently, and that probably means helping people see the real costs of their decisions so we can start moving in the right direction.  Some folks like living in urban density, and some like living all alone in the woods, and both of those are viable options.  I'm not even sure which one you think is more expensive, or more environmentally damaging.

You sure seem to go after people with their pickups, which is more of a rural/Republican thing.  Even if they don't put that many miles on them or use them for work.  You seem to have some solid stereotypes in your head that you won't let go of.

I'm all for efficiency, but I'd rather see a carrot rather than a stick.

As far as urban/suburban living vs rural living, living in or near a major city is radically more expensive.  That's part of why I'm moving away from such a place.  Also, the type of people they attract who seem to love nothing more than telling other people what they can and cannot do.

In terms of environmental damage, cities hide the damage they do nicely.  They require vast flows of resources, produce vast waste streams, but "out of sight, out of mind."  They cannot in any meaningful way provide for their own needs, because everything is covered in concrete and drywall.

Can you do a lot of environmental damage in a rural area with a few acres?  Sure.  But you can also do a lot to reduce the impact and provide for yourself.  Passive thermal solar for heat, earth tubes for cooling, gardens that can actually grow a meaningful percentage of your annual calories, protein sources (a small flock of chickens being the usual source), and the ability to sink a lot of carbon, should you care to do so.  Hugelkulture (buried tree) gardening, composting, biochar, and plenty of other approaches allow one to sequester a good bit of atmospheric carbon.

Another post explaining my more general views coming shortly.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2016, 09:29:09 AM »
Modern emissions systems are incredibly impressive - going back to 50's tech would be terrible for the air.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/emissions-test-car-vs-truck-vs-leaf-blower.html

I was only being semi-serious. It would actually be funny if there was a mass exodus towards salvaging old scrapped tech and upgrading it.

The current economic model does not favour reusing or repairing things. A carbon based model would see us move towards reusing and repairing working devices. Landfills would become goldmines!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »

I was only being semi-serious. It would actually be funny if there was a mass exodus towards salvaging old scrapped tech and upgrading it.

The current economic model does not favour reusing or repairing things. A carbon based model would see us move towards reusing and repairing working devices. Landfills would become goldmines!
It's not really feasible to just 'upgrade' old cars/engines/etc to modern emissions or economy standards - they've become incredibly complex.  For general purpose items, absolutely - a trend towards more expensive products that are built for durability would be nice to see!  Old tools are a great example. Find a quality drill press from the 1940's and you'll never need to buy one again.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #232 on: March 18, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »
Would it be a waste to ask if you have any solutions to the problems brought up in this thread? Your viewpoint is quite different than Sol's; could you at least agree with his goals, or perhaps his principles, while offering alternatives to his suggestions?

Sol and I appear to have a fundamental disagreement about what makes something sustainable.  This has come up other places as well.

As I understand Sol's views, they base around, "Industrial civilization is fine, we just need to tweak it a little bit to to make it sustainable."  Rooftop solar panels, an electric car instead of a gas car, and tax gasoline more to show those pickup drivers.

I tend much more towards, "Industrial civilization has created most of these problems; doing more of what caused the problems is unlikely to fix them."  Or, "You're unlikely to be able to buy your way out of a problem that consumer culture has largely created."

Most of the papers I've read talking about transitioning off a carbon economy before we do major damage to the planet indicate that a transition path would have needed to start in the 70s or possibly the early 80s to have any real impact.  At this point in time, we've passed the easy transitions, passed the hard transitions, and are well into the "Huh.  Well, things are likely to get really interesting here..." period.  So, the likely path forward is significant climate change, sea level rise, and we should probably start getting ready for that instead of sticking our heads in the increasingly waterlogged sand.

As I understand things, at this point, it really doesn't matter that much if it's human caused or not.  There's a clear trend, there's an utter paralysis of governments in response to it (except flying politicians around the world to go create a lot of non-binding hot air at conferences), and the only things that really seem to have an impact on human carbon emissions are significant economic shocks.

I don't see any government willing to make the changes required, if it comes at the cost of their economy - which it will.  At least for a period of time.  Unless all nations act together (which never has happened, and I'm confident in saying it never will happen), there is an economic advantage to remaining on carbon fuels longer than other countries.  So everyone will, as long as it remains feasible to do so.

If we actually wanted to make meaningful changes, it would require a radical decrease in per capita energy consumption, which isn't a popular thing to suggest.  Solar panels and wind turbines are nice, but require huge amounts of energy to build, significant amounts of non-renewable resources, and we seem to have a tendency to produce them in carbon heavy areas (China's factories) and stick them up in places with cleaner energy (say, the Seattle area) and not that much sun.  It's good for signaling to your neighbors that you Care(TM), but it's not actually that useful, energy-wise, or carbon-wise.  I'd much rather see them produced with clean power and deployed in hellishly sunny areas, even if you have to build some transmission lines or upgrade existing lines to carry the capacity.  There's some of that going on, but it's mostly utility scale, which to me, makes much more sense than home scale solar.  Unless you want to go off grid entirely, which is as good a way to create a radical drop in energy consumption as anything else.

Basically, I think industrial civilization is no different from any other civilization, except that we found quite the cookie jar of carbon.  Civilizations arc through history, rise, fall, and decay.  I think evidence shows that ours is past it's peak, and will probably continue to do those things that decaying civilizations do - a ragged stairstepping down of energy reduction and lower standards of living.  The US, specifically, is an interesting case because we're doing a damned good impression of most decaying empires with a decent military.  The F-35 program and such may help fix this, though, as they're much more useful for enriching military contractors than actually being a viable warplane.  It's interesting to compare the development history of, say, the P-51 Mustang (arguably the best all around fighter we built in WW-II, with the prototype flying 6 months after the order was placed) and the F-35 (infinitely expensive, still fundamentally a failure as a fighter).

I don't think there is any sort of easy fix.  As a civilization, we've backed ourselves into a nasty little corner.  At an individual level, building antifragility into one's life is probably the most useful thing one can do - which, I'd add, I don't think looks like "Put it all in index funds while living in a little apartment on the 32nd story."  That's about as fragile as it gets.

Reducing consumption as individuals is helpful, not in that it will really change anything, but in that it will mean you don't get as annoyed when things that were once available become unavailable.  To borrow a phrase from an author I rather like, "Collapse now and avoid the rush."

I'm sure some will consider my views unreasonably pessimistic.  They might be.  Worst case, I angle towards being prepared for this future and live on a few acres with a great view and plenty of my own garden crops.  I can think of worse lives.  Best case?  I'm well situated as a local expert in low energy transportation, heating, cooling, and can make a nice living helping retrofit existing homes to work better as we descend into a lower energy future, build and repair electric bikes, and still eat some damned fine garden crops.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2016, 09:50:42 AM »

There will be - once it becomes infeasible to obtain new tech for whatever reason (financial, generally unavailable, etc), older stuff will be salvaged and restored.  Look at Cuba.  They're still running around with 1950s cars, repairing them and keeping them running, because it's either that or walk.

We haven't hit that point yet.  I think we will, though.

Landfills are certainly one of the better resources we'll leave to the next generations.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:38 AM »
This thread is an exercise in depression.

If you're in any doubt over what humanity has done thus far (and it's not *just* our generation, it's the last couple of hundred, few hundred years - thank the Brits for the Industrial Revolution... Not that any individual is to blame) - just go and look at extinction rates, and climate data. We KEEP breaking records for most-x month globally.

Look, I'll make this simple - and I AM GUILTY TOO - DRIVING A MASSIVE CHUNK OF METAL THAT WEIGHS 20x THAT OF THE 'GOODS' FROM A TO B TO A, 5 DAYS A WEEK IS FUCKING INSANE. On an individual level, who cares, but there are 300+ *million* Americans. Go and look at energy use stats - Canadians and Americans are at the top (along with oil-rich middle Eastern countries I think); IIRC Western European countries use 2/3-1/2 the amount of energy.

WE ARE ALL GUILTY. We use *computers* which use massive amounts of rare metals and so on. We heat or cool *entire houses* rather than small sections, and live in stupidly cold or hot places.

Priuses are shit; they are just less shit than trucks at getting you from A - B - A every day. If you're actually hauling stuff, regularly, get a truck, nobody cares.

In an ideal world, we all live where public transport copes with 90%+ of our transportation needs.

Oh, and regarding urban growing - in the UK, during the second world war, everyone grew food at home, and it made a massive, massive difference. But because flying is 'cheap', we get raspberries in March (I bought some myself today - see, I am GUILTY - my wife and daughter love raspberries). We should be eating fucking TURNIPS like they used to in the winter.

The reason this debate scares the shit out of me is because of the starting point - which is that, oh what we do at the moment is mostly ok, just get people out of their SUVs and into Priuses and it'll be ok. The stats show, the cheaper it is to drive, the more people drive - people *choose* a roughly 45 minute commute. That's just how we're wired somehow.

Which brings us back to an old question - are humans, collectively, more intelligent than bacteria on an agar plate (whose population doubles while there is food available, then crashes due to overpopulation!).

Strongly suggest some Jared Diamond books - eg Collapse.

Big vehicles kill... sure, driving kills. Driving is one of the most dangerous things we do, but even driving a rust bucket, you'll most likely be ok.

What's that Arab saying? My grandfather rode a camel, my father drives a car, I fly a plane, and my children will ride camels? Something like that.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »

http://conservationmagazine.org/2016/01/this-is-why-cities-cant-grow-all-their-own-food/

I agree with growing closer in, but growing in the city just isn't feasible.  Plus, lots of people seem to view "empty land in the city" or "single family houses with yards" as "places to put apartments so we can cram even more people into the city."  More people plus less green space reduces the percentage you can feed.

At least in many areas, cities expand out to take over all the free land around them, and buy out farms to turn into more housing.  So, yes, shipping food long distances is still going to happen.

Population is increasing. These people need to live somewhere. We can choose to either put denser apartments where single family houses with yards currently stand, or we can replace farms with suburban homes surrounded by grass. Those are the options.

As you say, it's not feasible to grow enough food within a city to feed a city. Nor is it reasonable to expect that most of the folks buying suburban homes on half-acre lots will ever decide to rip up their lawns and spend their mornings and weekends growing vegetables.

Therefore I suggest that the best thing is to encourage people who don't want to farm to live with as small of a land footprint as possible, so that we can preserve as much land as possible for people who do want to farm.

Sound good?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »
Population is increasing. These people need to live somewhere. We can choose to either put denser apartments where single family houses with yards currently stand, or we can replace farms with suburban homes surrounded by grass. Those are the options.

You forget "People spreading out away from cities into places with enough land to grow some of their own food with intensive instead of extensive agriculture."  That's an option.  It's not an option people are currently exercising.  But it is an option.

Nor is it reasonable to expect that most of the folks buying suburban homes on half-acre lots will ever decide to rip up their lawns and spend their mornings and weekends growing vegetables.

Shouldn't take that much effort if you do it right.  Also, greenhouses and aquaponics can increase density a good bit if you've got some sun for winter growing.

Therefore I suggest that the best thing is to encourage people who don't want to farm to live with as small of a land footprint as possible, so that we can preserve as much land as possible for people who do want to farm.

Sound good?

*shrug*  Still radically vulnerable to "anything going wrong" (most cities have about a 3 day supply of food, if that, and I don't think the Mormons intend to share that much).

As I said, I really don't have a great solution for the corner we've found ourselves in.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2016, 04:52:42 PM »

You forget "People spreading out away from cities into places with enough land to grow some of their own food with intensive instead of extensive agriculture."  That's an option.  It's not an option people are currently exercising.  But it is an option.

You're technically correct that this is an option, but it's not one that any significant percentage of people will be interested in taking until after there is some crisis that interrupts the regular supply of food to supermarkets for a long period of time.

The two reasonable options for adding housing are to either build up in the city or sprawl out into the country. We should not assume significant food production in either housing type.

Nor is it reasonable to expect that most of the folks buying suburban homes on half-acre lots will ever decide to rip up their lawns and spend their mornings and weekends growing vegetables.

Shouldn't take that much effort if you do it right.  Also, greenhouses and aquaponics can increase density a good bit if you've got some sun for winter growing.

First of all, maintaining a garden that provides a large fraction of your food supply does take a fair amount of effort. My in-laws have a couple dozen raised beds full of various crops during the summer and grow some things hydroponically indoors year round. It's something they enjoy doing, and the results are delicious, but it does take a lot of their time.

The amount of effort required is immaterial though. With our current food supply system, produce is always available at the supermarket. Home gardening is relegated to hobby status. Given that, we should not expect many suburban landowners to grow vegetables until after some crisis hits, at which point it would be too late for most anyway.

Let's not encourage continued outward expansion of wasteful suburban land use; instead let's encourage non-farming people to live on less land. That way we'll be able to keep enough nearby farmland running so that inevitable increases in transportation costs don't cause us all to starve.

Sound good?

*shrug*  Still radically vulnerable to "anything going wrong" (most cities have about a 3 day supply of food, if that, and I don't think the Mormons intend to share that much).

As I said, I really don't have a great solution for the corner we've found ourselves in.

Yes, if the apocalypse comes, living in a city is probably a bad idea. Live in the country if you're concerned about it, but in the meantime you should be all on board with encouraging everyone else to use their land efficiently.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #238 on: March 18, 2016, 05:06:30 PM »

I'm not entirely sure that what you're proposing really is an option.

There is a limited amount of good arable farm land, and an awful lot of it is already owned by farmers.  Small farms are less efficient and tend to produce less from the land than large agricultural setups.  Couple that with the sheer number of people who need to eat and I'm not convinced that millions of people in North America really have the option to move to the country and start farming . . . as bucolic and idyllic as the notion first seems.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #239 on: March 18, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »
A small garden/farm plot, well managed, will radically outyield large farms in terms of productivity per acre, and will need radically less in terms of fertilizers/pesticides.  It's fair to say that for a lot of farms, the dirt (not soil, just dirt) is a structural support for the plants and a sponge for the assorted fertilizers poured on to make things grow.

It just requires more physical work to do that, and it's not conducive to doing that on the tens of acres scale.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »
25 MPG isn't all that great for a passenger car.

I think you need to be realistic about what most cars get.  I drive a 4cyl midsize sedan, and in normal suburban driving do about 22-23mpg.  If I made an effort to not use full throttle and such on occasion, I could probably squeak that to 24-25.  Yeah, things like Fits, etc, get better mileage, but realistically are you expecting to talk someone out of an F150 and into a Fit?  Maybe for some, but for most that's not the next best desirable option.

Jesus, what are you driving?  My wife and I average 30-32 mpg from about 95% city trips in our 2006 Corolla.

What he said. My grandparents used to have a V8 ute (unibody pickup) back in the 80s and I remember Grandpa very proudly proclaiming he could get over 30mpg on the highway.

You need a new car, your car needs fixing, or you need to seriously rethink your driving style. My (current) 4 cyl Fiat gets 45mpg, sometimes more...

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: March 18, 2016, 09:41:19 PM »
A small garden/farm plot, well managed, will radically outyield large farms in terms of productivity per acre, and will need radically less in terms of fertilizers/pesticides.  It's fair to say that for a lot of farms, the dirt (not soil, just dirt) is a structural support for the plants and a sponge for the assorted fertilizers poured on to make things grow.

It just requires more physical work to do that, and it's not conducive to doing that on the tens of acres scale.

+1

A well managed, small scale garden can easily produce more food per sq. meter than an industrial sized farm.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure you're misrepresenting Sol's argument.

"Lowering income taxes" would do nothing for low income people, because they already pay $0 income tax. What Sol proposed was that every person would get a "refund" from the government equal to the average amount of carbon taxes that were taken in for the year. For example, if 200 million U.S. taxpayers paid $200 billion in carbon taxes in a year, each person would get a $1000 refund from the government. This would be equal to the average amount each taxpayer paid for the year. People who use less than the average amount of fuel would make out better than people who used more.

How would this disproportionately affect poor people? If you're poor and, say, don't even own a car, you would pay no extra fuel taxes, but at the end of the year you'd get 1000 bucks for free. If you're a rich guy who likes to drive around in a big fat SUV, and, say, you pay $3000 per year in fuel taxes, then you'd only get 1/3 of that back from the government when you filed your taxes, and you'd have to eat the other 2 grand.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2016, 06:59:18 AM »
I think you need to be realistic about what most cars get.  I drive a 4cyl midsize sedan, and in normal suburban driving do about 22-23mpg.  If I made an effort to not use full throttle and such on occasion, I could probably squeak that to 24-25.  Yeah, things like Fits, etc, get better mileage, but realistically are you expecting to talk someone out of an F150 and into a Fit?  Maybe for some, but for most that's not the next best desirable option.

Jesus, what are you driving?  My wife and I average 30-32 mpg from about 95% city trips in our 2006 Corolla.

Indeed.  I get 25 mpg out of my old, heavy, AWD, 400 hp Eclipse on my daily (suburban style) commute.  Any typical midsize sedan should beat that easily.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »

If you have a couple hectares of good land to micromanage crops by hand, then maybe they would be more efficient.  My experience working on my father's farm and at a local gardening cooperative though would suggest that the knowledge and will to do this is pretty limited.  That is also assuming that there's enough good land for everyone, which is a bad assumption to make.  It's also assuming that shit never goes wrong.  The first bad flood, plague, unexpectedly cold (or hot) weather, or drought that runs through your area means that your family starves because the crops fail.

Despite your claims to the contrary, not all land will work well for farming.  Wind, drainage, irrigation, soil quality, temperature, light, ph, local insects, local birds and wildlife . . . there are a lot of variables that go into finding a good spot to grow stuff.  While you might be able to grow something on any bit of dirt somewhere, growing something sufficient to sustain yourself and a family for a long period of time is a much more difficult problem.

This article explains how what you're proposing would likely be more damaging to the environment than what we're currently doing, because of the inherent inefficiencies of small scale farming:
http://freakonomics.com/2011/11/14/the-inefficiency-of-local-food/

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2016, 10:12:51 AM »
I agree it's not an easy problem.

However, "growing crops in dead dirt by mining rock phosphorus and using fossil fuels to create fertilizer, then doing all of this with tractors" isn't exactly a long term sustainable solution either, is it?

As a civilization, we've backed ourselves pretty well into a corner.

Sustainable systems are closed loops of material flows.  We've opened the loop on damned near everything we're doing.

And to drag it faintly back on topic, convincing people to replace pickup trucks with Priuses doesn't do a damned thing to change that.  All it does is slightly reduce the resource consumption involved.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »
The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »
How would you repoint civilization into a sustainable method?

"Heading towards the cliff slightly slower" doesn't really change the fact that you're headed towards a cliff.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »

"Heading towards the cliff slightly slower" doesn't really change the fact that you're headed towards a cliff.

Would it help if we just closed our eyes?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: March 20, 2016, 10:12:52 PM »

This seems appropriate.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/03/20/climate-change-footprint/