Author Topic: Big City housing on a bare bones budget  (Read 1853 times)

tfk9164

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Big City housing on a bare bones budget
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:12:26 AM »
I've written before about my dire financial issues and my need to be financially independent in a relationship.  After much soul searching and discussions with my SO (we live together), I'm leaving my current location (Florida) where the teacher salaries STINK back to the northeast where they are better.  I have the intention of working TWO jobs (already landed the first one and looking for the second) and trying to live as cheaply as humanly possible, short of moving into a refrigerator box.  My SO will remain in Florida for the time being and we will be doing "long distance" until he sells his house.  To get started I can bunk with a friend during the week and my sister on the weekends, but I like these people so I don't want to take advantage of the situation for two long!

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions of housing arrangements that I might try?  I have looked at apartment shares or rooms to rent on craigslist, but they seem mostly focused on people in their 20s and I'm in my 50s.  Are there websites for older people looking for roommates?  I'm also open to house sitting, work (babysitting, cleaning, dog walking, etc) in exchange for cheaper rent. I know people have arrangements like this but I'm trying to figure out how they find them.  I'm heading north with my work materials, some art supplies and my clothes.  The rest of my stuff is staying in FL for the time being, so I don't need a full apartment, just a place to watch tv and sleep.  Thanks!

I am determined that this is the year I finally get my financial shit together!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Big City housing on a bare bones budget
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
I've written before about my dire financial issues and my need to be financially independent in a relationship.  After much soul searching and discussions with my SO (we live together), I'm leaving my current location (Florida) where the teacher salaries STINK back to the northeast where they are better.  I have the intention of working TWO jobs (already landed the first one and looking for the second) and trying to live as cheaply as humanly possible, short of moving into a refrigerator box.  My SO will remain in Florida for the time being and we will be doing "long distance" until he sells his house.  To get started I can bunk with a friend during the week and my sister on the weekends, but I like these people so I don't want to take advantage of the situation for two long!

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions of housing arrangements that I might try?  I have looked at apartment shares or rooms to rent on craigslist, but they seem mostly focused on people in their 20s and I'm in my 50s.  Are there websites for older people looking for roommates?  I'm also open to house sitting, work (babysitting, cleaning, dog walking, etc) in exchange for cheaper rent. I know people have arrangements like this but I'm trying to figure out how they find them.  I'm heading north with my work materials, some art supplies and my clothes.  The rest of my stuff is staying in FL for the time being, so I don't need a full apartment, just a place to watch tv and sleep.  Thanks!

I am determined that this is the year I finally get my financial shit together!
Depends on the area.  Around here the place to look would be a retired widow looking for extra cash.  I've known plenty of grad students or part timers (people who worked here and lived elsewhere) who used this type of option.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
Rooming with younger people might not be so bad though.

My SO and I shared a 3 BR apartment with a gentlemen who was ~50 years old. It worked out just fine for almost 2 years. Our completely different schedules meant we saw each other rarely.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »
Depends on the area.  Around here the place to look would be a retired widow looking for extra cash.  I've known plenty of grad students or part timers (people who worked here and lived elsewhere) who used this type of option.
My thoughts exactly. Try looking via a Senior Center, churches or word of mouth. Depending on the situation, your second job could be light caregiving (driving, shopping, meal prep, NOT bathing and dressing) or  housekeeping.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
Have you looked into senior housing? Some regions have apartments that are only available to people over 50 or 55.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!