Author Topic: Big burger app wars--good deals  (Read 2580 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
Big burger app wars--good deals
« on: September 22, 2018, 05:49:43 PM »
I posted previously about the steep deals on the McDonalds mobile app.  Most notably the $1 for virtually any sandwich, every day through at least the end of September.  Previous thread:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/mcdonald's-app-great-deals/msg2114166/#msg2114166

Not to be outdone their competition recently launched the following deals:

Burger King, $1 Whopper every day for the next 3 weeks
Wendy's, free single or free salad with any purchase, every day (not sure how long this runs).  The cheapest thing on their menu is (supposedly) a sample-size frosty for 50 cents.

Yes, half of you will chime in with how awful this food is.  We get it.  So please don't.

The rest of us who eat the occasional Whopper, Fish Filet/Grilled Chicken/Egg McMuffin, or Wendy's single, will take advantage of the cheap eats.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:00:22 PM by Pizzabrewer »

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Big burger app wars--good deals
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »
Shows $2 for me. :-(

I guess it comes and goes?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
It depends on your region.  Where I live, the McDonald's deals are meager.  No $1 sandwiches here.  It's better on the Peninsula and much better in the Southeast Valley near Phoenix.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »
Free medium fries with any purchase every Friday in McDonald's app so McChicken and Medium Fries for $1.06 after tax on my area is a good cheap lunch.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 07:22:41 AM »
Hmmm.  The $1 Whopper may be a one-time coupon.  I bought it yesterday and it hasn't reappeared on my app today.

Yes to the comments above, the McDonalds deals seem to be very much YMMV.  Where I live the $1 sandwich hasn't disappeared (yet).  There is one location of the half-dozen or so nearby that doesn't honor it but the other ones do.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
Burger King is offering a Whopper for one cent. The catch is you have to order it while you're at a McDonalds. So I did while in the McD's drive thru getting a $1 order of medium fries. Cheap lunch.

Kahooli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »
Or the most expensive meals you'll have if you end up with a disease as a result :p

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
I did the one cent whopper thing today.  Luckily all the locations were on my running errands route.  Parked in the lot of McDonald’s to activate the whopper app then had to hit three burger kings before I found one that had mobile ordering. 

It was actually a pretty good burger, can’t remember the last time I had one.  But I do remember my first one ever. At my grandparents house in Palm Beach when I was about 10.  My brother actually remembered it too, we drove by the place last summer. The BK was still there.  May sound weird but we never ate out as kids so it was a quite a treat. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!