Author Topic: Best Place for Vitamins in Canada?  (Read 2507 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Best Place for Vitamins in Canada?
« on: August 07, 2016, 11:46:18 PM »
We are upping our intake of vitamins and supplements and its so difficult to compare products online (mg vary, dosage varies,  ingredients vary, number of pills per bottle varies, quality varies, etc). 

Has anyone found a good Canadian source for vitamins? I can also ship in from the states to a US mailbox, but with the Canadian dollar so bad right now, I'm not sure its worth it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best Place for Vitamins in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »
OK, you think pre-school is a waste of money but you're looking for a place to buy cheap vitamins? :) Unless someone in your family has a serious medical condition, you likely don't need them. Serve whole foods, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables (organic is likely best), good sources of protein, and drink pure water. And exercise. Simple.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:19:23 AM »
Are they available with a prescription?
My blood work showed a deficiency in vitamin D, so it is prescribed, and thus can be bought with my HSA (pre tax income).  Is there something similar in Canada?
You are only taking what is medically necessary, right?  Otherwise it's a waste of money at any price.

startswithhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:25:38 AM »
Vitamin D is the cheapest vitamin. It should go on sale in October, which is when most people need to start taking it up here. Buy it at Shoppers Drug Mart during 20x the points when you buy your two months worth of toilet paper and store brand ibuprofen etc. That way you'll get 30% back in points (dollar to dollar, approximately, assuming you redeem during a spend your points event, typically before holidays).
Multivitamins are linked to increased all cause mortality, so you should definitely quit those immediately. One of the major grocery stores (Sobeys or Superstore) was advertising free prenatal vitamin recently; I forget which one because I don't usually shop there (too pricey) but I needed to stock up on unscented dish soap which the cheap stores near me stopped carrying :( .

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:30:59 AM »
Multivitamins are linked to increased all cause mortality, so you should definitely quit those immediately.

Yep, stopped taking them altogether a number of years ago because of this, and because just about every study I'd ever read said they are a waste of money as they offer no measurable benefit (and in fact, as noted, are harmful).  It's all about diet, diet, diet.