Author Topic: Best Financial Decision You’ve made  (Read 8889 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Best Financial Decision You’ve made
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2023, 05:39:05 AM »
Turns out, quitting my tenured, full professor job almost seven years ago to be a full-time author has been my single best financial decision. Go figure.

@Kris - very impressive!

I know, every time I read that about Kris, I'm like "wooooooooow."

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2023, 05:55:56 AM »
To switch into tech.

Similar to this I decided to self-teach data science and machine learning. It's hard to tell what would have been, but I think it's safe to say that this move at least doubled my comp over the past 6 years (actual comp is up about 3x over the past 6 years) and I didn't have to move to a HCOL city to do it.

i'm wondering whether to get a masters in data science or self-teach. any thoughts?

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2023, 12:33:56 PM »
surprised with all the answers of divorce no one has mentioned "staying single" which is what I owe most of my net worth too, and being economically efficient enough to be able to live a comfortable high-end single lifestyle on the beach while still investing a majority of my earnings
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 12:37:16 PM by EliteZags »

Shuchong

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2023, 02:57:58 PM »
This isn't really "staying single," but I think my best financial decision was getting a roommate in a small 2-bedroom apartment in my VHCOL area while I still had law school debt, and keeping that roommate for years and years after the debt was paid off.  The percentage of my income spent on rent each month was well under 10%. 

(Then I bought a house of my own, which may turn out to be a bad financial decision, but a great lifestyle one.  Either way, all the savings from years of living with a roommate mean it's a decision I can easily afford.)

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2023, 04:50:16 PM »
# 1. Married a hardworking and thrifty person

but these were also significant:

2. lived in various crappy apartments with roommates to save for a downpayment on our 1st house
3. 1st house was a fixer-upper, we are handy so we made a good profit when we sold
4. max out 401k as well as other investing
5. paid off house

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2023, 01:52:09 PM »
Marrying someone who was naturally thrifty and adept at doing a lot of things, and both of us (and then our family) living beneath our means. We're pretty high earners, but we've had all kinds of flexibility and options by teaching the kids "you can have (almost) anything you want, but you can't have everything you want" and modeling it.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2023, 02:32:01 PM »
I was the weird kid reading investment books in High School. I married my High School Sweetheart at 19. We were on the same page financially and had big goals.

We have so far exceeded our goals.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2023, 01:53:15 PM »
I WISH I knew my DW in HS. We would have been a great pair from the start. And probably alot richer.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!