Author Topic: Best Country in the World - why do you say this?  (Read 63408 times)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
Re: Best Country in the World - why do you say this?
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »
The winter conditions experienced east of the Rockies should automatically remove Canada from contention. Sorry. I am Canadian, and proudly so, so I feel I can say this without prejudice.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
"The winter conditions experienced east of the Rockies should automatically remove Canada from contention. Sorry. I am Canadian, and proudly so, so I feel I can say this without prejudice."

Yes, and if we all moved to Lotus Land the whole continent would tilt   ;-)

It makes us tough, eh?  Plus it gives us an incentive to see foreign lands and cultures (especially those in the Caribbean in January-March).

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2015, 06:22:10 PM »
I have not read through the whole thread but I vote Canada but only for Vancouver Island or the Okanagan.  Canada has some crazy cold spots and a lot of wide open undeveloped areas that you'd have to be an into the wild type to truly love.  Hit the sweet spots and there really is no better place on earth imo.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:09 PM »
Canada is high on the list of desirable countries to live in. We just have a climate problem.

The problem is that we have a deplorable excess of climate.

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2015, 05:56:30 AM »
Climate -> seasons -> almost winter, winter, still winter, construction/mosquito season.  At least when we have the polar lows it is sunny - cold and damp and dreary is worse (November, I am looking at you).

I still think we should have brought in the Turks and Caicos as the 11th province when it was proposed back in the 70's.  They would have certainly improved our climate situation.

Canada is high on the list of desirable countries to live in. We just have a climate problem.

The problem is that we have a deplorable excess of climate.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »
US is good for many things, but it's not exactly blessed with a good climate either. There are only handful of places in continental US with a pleasant climate. Top of the list is probably Southern coastal California. After that I'm not even sure. Perhaps some areas higher up in the mountains in Colorado (never been there, though). Everywhere else is either too cold in winter, too rainy in winter or too hot in summer.

marketnonsenses

« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:22 AM »
US is good for many things, but it's not exactly blessed with a good climate either. There are only handful of places in continental US with a pleasant climate. Top of the list is probably Southern coastal California. After that I'm not even sure. Perhaps some areas higher up in the mountains in Colorado (never been there, though). Everywhere else is either too cold in winter, too rainy in winter or too hot in summer.

The US has one of the most broad climates for one country. It has everything from Swamps to Rain forest, Arctic and one of the hottest places on earth. California alone has more diversity than most countries.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
The US has one of the most broad climates for one country. It has everything from Swamps to Rain forest, Arctic and one of the hottest places on earth. California alone has more diversity than most countries.

Lot of diversity indeed, but not many places pleasant year round. Just in case you wonder I've lived in US for eight years and know your country fairly well. California has by far the best climate in US, but the most desirable spots are now marred by very high cost of living.

jzb11

• Stubble
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »
I've been to twenty five different countries. I'm currently living in South America. I'd say the USA is the best place to live for anyone who wants to live in the suburbs and own a home hands down. You simply can't find the kind of affordable housing in the USA in Europe.

Other than that:

Less bureaucracy than EU nations by far
Low cost of living, cheapest food/goods/gas/housing (EU can't touch this)
High quality/affordable goods 
Comfort/convenience - 24 hour shopping centers/restaurants/etc.
ABUNDANCE - there is a lot and it is inexpensive
If your hobby is firearms, you can't be the USA, especially if you live in a less restrictive State.

Talking about suburban life, I think the USA is king. City life? I'm not so sure, I've never really lived in a city in USA or EU.

I am living in South America at the moment, and there's no comparison. The USA is paradise in comparison.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »
Well, according to the 2015 Global Retirement Index the USA is 19th - Switzerland, Norway, Australia. See http://ngam.natixis.com/global/1422746034925/Global+Retirement+Index+Report - other places mentioned here also rank above the USA - NZ is 10th and Canada is 12th.

Who wants to live in a place where people are so afraid of one another that mothers carry guns in their purses to shopping centres?

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »
Well, according to the 2015 Global Retirement Index the USA is 19th - Switzerland, Norway, Australia. See http://ngam.natixis.com/global/1422746034925/Global+Retirement+Index+Report - other places mentioned here also rank above the USA - NZ is 10th and Canada is 12th.

Who wants to live in a place where people are so afraid of one another that mothers carry guns in their purses to shopping centres?

I'd much rather live in a place where I have the freedom to choose whether or not I can carry a gun than a place where that freedom has been stolen from me. 

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2015, 12:36:05 PM »

Again, Deborah? Again?

We get it.  Australia is a solid nation with a lot to be proud of. 

The "mommies with guns" trope is both trite and a wild misrepresentation of what the US is all about.  That's like me saying Australia blows because every member of the animal kingdom in Australia is trying to kill you.  The dingo ate your argument.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2015, 12:59:49 PM »

Again, Deborah? Again?

The "mommies with guns" trope is both trite and a wild misrepresentation of what the US is all about.  That's like me saying Australia blows because every member of the animal kingdom in Australia is trying to kill you.  The dingo ate your argument.
No, I really think the mommies with guns argument IS what the US is about - several people have commented in this thread making their point that FREEDOM = GUNS (including the post IMMEDIATELY before yours)- and as I have stated before there are loads of good countries. Brown snakes (second most venomous land snake in the world) are very common and I have seen several this year. But I will leave you with a picture that I took yesterday of the wildlife of Australia:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:01:52 PM by deborah »

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:28 PM »

Again, Deborah? Again?

No, I really think the mommies with guns argument IS what the US is about - several people have commented in this thread making their point that FREEDOM = GUNS (including the post IMMEDIATELY before yours)- and as I have stated before there are loads of good countries. But I will leave you with a picture that I took yesterday of the wildlife of Australia:

Freedom to own guns is a freedom...it's not the only freedom or the most important freedom, but it's an example.  I could also say that I would rather live in a country where I have the freedom of religion vs. a country where I do not.

You're focused on "guns"...you should be focused on "freedom".  As it relates to guns, I neither carry nor own a handgun, but I'm damn sure glad I have the option to do so if I want. 

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »

Again, Deborah? Again?

No, I really think the mommies with guns argument IS what the US is about - several people have commented in this thread making their point that FREEDOM = GUNS (including the post IMMEDIATELY before yours)- and as I have stated before there are loads of good countries. Brown snakes (second most venomous land snake in the world) are very common and I have seen several this year. But I will leave you with a picture that I took yesterday of the wildlife of Australia:

That sea lion is clearly plotting a murder...

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2015, 01:26:43 PM »

Again, Deborah? Again?

I just want to pipe up here and say that I've never even seen a gun in person much less owned one, I don't have any close friends or family that own guns, and I've lived in the USA my whole life.

ETA: OK, since I've seen police officers with holsters on their belts I suppose technically I've seen a gun. But that's it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:28:28 PM by lizzie »

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
There aren't many places in the world that don't have at least one "bad" season.  Personally, I think the US has a lot of places that enjoy nice weather most of the time.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »

That sea lion is clearly plotting a murder...
Yes, he has a gun under each flipper. And if the fishermen cleaning fish don't throw him more they had better watch out!

I'm not sure whether the sea lion or the pelicans would be more dangerous.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:30:01 PM by deborah »

scottish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2015, 08:53:13 PM »
Darn, that's a good picture.     Did you really just happen upon that scene and take that picture Deborah?

You can also get pictures of sea lions in Canada, but you have to kayak way up the west coast to find them.

I think the best countries have to have sea lions.   Preferably unarmed sea lions.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:54:49 PM by scottishstash »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2015, 09:07:28 PM »
Darn, that's a good picture.     Did you really just happen upon that scene and take that picture Deborah?

You can also get pictures of sea lions in Canada, but you have to kayak way up the west coast to find them.

I think the best countries have to have sea lions.   Preferably unarmed sea lions.

Thanks for that! Yes I did just happen on it. Yesterday I went to Mallacoota for lunch on my way home from Lakes Entrance, went to the wharf and there it was - I took a couple of other pictures there but that is the only one of the sea lion - see http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/post-fire-picture-thread/msg571361/#msg571361
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:16:31 PM by deborah »

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »

Again, Deborah? Again?

Seal-Rick-James wants to ingest that fucking bird.