Author Topic: Best age to have children?  (Read 11849 times)

Tonyahu

• Stubble
  • Ambassador
Best age to have children?
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
Hey all,

I am currently 25 and do not see myself having kids for at least 10 years (hoping to FIRE at ~35). My main reason is that I want to be a significant factor in my child's education, I feel reaching FI first will help with this greatly.

I have heard information ranging from "don't have kids too late" to "having kids at 40 is a great idea".

I want to hear the following from you all:

-When you had (or plan to have) kids
-What age you feel is best to have kids and why
-Any other opinions / input

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you all!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:45:56 PM by Tonyahu »

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best age to have children?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »
When you are ready in terms of maturity, having the right partner  assuming you won't be a single parent and have your finances in order.  I'm not saying you have to be FI but not be struggling.

Finances was a factor but not the biggest factor.  I had my first child at 32 and sometimes I started earlier to spend more time with them but I was not ready mentally relationship wise.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »
Medically speaking 35 years is the cutoff where there start to be additional health concerns and most hospitals require additional tests and care at that age. This age is especially salient for the mother to be. I would never say having kids in your 40's is a great idea, but at the same time not all people get the opportunity to have them younger. Generally medically speaking the younger the better.

There are other considerations beyond health. There is also how old you will be when your kid is 30 and hitting their huge family milestones. Both my wife and I's parents are all at or around 60 and we are early 30's which means they are all still in reasonably good health and very involved with our daughter, which I find to be awesome. I too would like the best chance possible to be active and involved with my daughter in her mid adult life.

That being said of course there is nothing wrong with having a kid in your 40's if thats how things workout, but I wouldn't plan for that at 25. You still have many opportunities ahead of you to get a quicker start.

I say once you are with a good partner the only other questions are financial stability and flexibility. Can you deal with child care, splitting work hours or having a spouse not work at all? Does one of you have reasonably stable work with good job prospects in case you lose your primary income? If you are renting are you able to handle reasonably well transitioning to new housing? Anything that is stressful while you are not a parent will get amplified once you are because your free time quota will take a nose dive. So generally the more in order your single life is the easier the transition will be.

If you can answer reasonably yes to any of those questions after discussing them with a partner then you are probably well equipped to start having children. The only question that remains is just personal preferences on when the right time is.

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
I could see waiting until 35 if you really are going to FIRE at/near that age.  That's roughly what MMM did.  My wife and I had our only child when she was 26 and I was 28.  I felt that was a great age.  I personally wouldn't FIRE and raise a child.  I find the costs to raise a kid do add up, as frugal as I am.  Plus, the healthcare costs in the future and so unknown.  But that's just my opinion, and I'm sure you've done your math and feel good about your path.

As far as what age is best biologically, well that's probably right now if you're 25.  Of course, the mother's age matters even more.  I do know people who "waited for the right time" to have kids and by then they couldn't conceive.  It's incredibly sad to see people go through that.  There's also a thread on this board about IVF and conception problems.  The truth is, every month you wait, your odds to conceive do go down, even if only a little.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:01:11 PM »
We met and got married when I was 33, and had our first child when I was 34. To me, the ideal amount of time to space out kids is 18 months between birth and getting pregnant, so that's what I did (lucky it worked out for me). That meant I was 37 when I had #2.

Turns out I absolutely love being a mom. Love having kids. No problem with work/life balance. I really would like a third, but doing it on the same timeline as my first two would mean three kids in daycare, which we can't afford. I don't want to quit my job. Having a third when my oldest is in kindergarten would put me at 40 for my next pregnancy/childbirth. Not very appealing.

We didn't have a choice about starting our family any earlier, and did it lickety-split accordingly. How I'd love to have had the opportunity to have had my first when I was around 30 or maybe even younger, though. Advanced maternal age pregnancy, sleep-deprivation, and the prospect of being pretty old when the kids are in college/getting married/having kids is not ideal.

One other minor consideration might be the timeframe of your friends on starting their families. We are fortunate to be in a group of five other couples who all have toddlers. They are all younger than we are and it's nice to have people with the same set of problems/joys. My friends who have school-age children don't hang out with us as much because their kids have completely different needs. They don't take their kids to the zoo every weekend anymore; instead, they're always at soccer games. You can't really plan your life around that, but it's something to think about.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 07:40:22 PM »
Lots of good input on here already, and this is certainly one of those things with no right answer (aside from "before you biologically cannot have them anymore.") I had my first at 33.5, which was just when my husband and I finally got around to feeling ready despite being married since we were 25. Because of whatever held us back until then, it clearly must have been the right time for us! But, I do think the extra age makes a big difference in energy levels, ability to cope with lack of sleep, and of course all the added infertility or health risks others have mentioned. (The down syndrome odds chart the genetic counselor showed us was especially sobering!) Thankfully all went very smoothly for us, but we are approaching the general timeline for when we'd be talking about having another, and quite honestly the age related energy stuff may mean we decide to have just one, despite both of us originally being pretty sure we'd want two. So take size of family you want into consideration as well, to make sure you are okay with any possible trade-offs you could end up making there.

DocMcStuffins

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:46:19 PM »
Lol. Never a perfect day to start having kids says the man of four children.  I have been in a young spot, a poor spot, an older spot, and a richer spot. Each time was the perfect time to have a child. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:53:45 AM by DocMcStuffins »

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
A wise friend of mine once told me: If you wait until you're ready to have kids, you'll never have them. 

henrysmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:04:47 PM »
Whenever you are in a stable relationship and can afford it. But don't wait too long. Women's fertility drops precipitously in late 30s and only 10 percent can have children with help at 40. That said I waited until 40 to start trying and had several miscarriages before having my son naturally at 42. I was extremely lucky because I know many who weren't as lucky and who depleted their savings on assisted reproduction only to have it fail as well. I ended up adopting another son at 45. Biology aside I am very glad I waited. I was more patient and seasoned and financially stable than I would have been earlier. I am now 57 with a 15 and 14 year old and love them to pieces. Worth every minute of pain and suffering to have them.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 06:37:45 AM »
Don't wait to have kids till you can afford them BUT if you are in financial trouble or not doing well don't have them either because might be a maturity. When you and your SO other are mature enough to have and take care of a child and are willing to give up somethings then that's the time. We have 4 and started when my wife was 30 with me being 34. The range from 18 down to 11 and for about 6 more months are all at home.  When were with the older one and around his friends/parents were right there with the age but with the youngest one we definitely are the oldest BUT the younger folks always ask us about our opinions on things etc.. We might not end up having a bunch of grand children but whats more important is hoping the grow up to be mature, responsible adults. For us to much sooner we would not have been ready but everyone is different.

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
We waited until my husband was done with grad school.We had been married 9 years and I was 30 years old when first child was born. We were lucky and got pregnant right away each time we were trying for a baby. Had another at 33 and the last child the day after my 36th birthday. It really took the wind out of my sails at the first Dr. appt and had to check the Advanced Maternal Age box. The last one was so much harder than the other two. I was more tired, more achy, more OLD! I wish we had started earlier. Mostly because now our friends' children are all off at college and we still have one in elementary school.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 10:45:33 AM »
No best age.
I had mine late, at 36, wife was 31, we had minor money saved and no debt.
However, now I'm 61 and my daughter is going back to college, when she graduates,
for the second time, I'll be 66. We can afford to put her through, but I thought I'd be done.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »
As others mentioned, there really is no "best" age because the best age is different for everyone. That being said, I highly recommend having kids in your late 20s. I had my first right after I turned 28, and I am now pregnant with baby #2 at 29...so I'm obviously a bit biased here.

Pros:

1.   Fertility – Late 20 somethings generally still have really good fertility and lower risk of fertility related problems. I started TTC halfway through 26 and experienced 2 losses before conceiving my daughter...while they were very sad, I was so thankful I started a bit early because as my story demonstrates, there is no guarantee you'll get lucky right out of the gate and the last thing you need in that situation is to be stressed about age on top of it.

2.   Finances – Most of us have had at least a few solid years of career building before we enter our late 20s, and have achieved stronger financial stability than when we were in our early/mid 20s.

3.   Energy and health – At 29 I still feel very energized, active, and healthy which is awesome for being able to keep up and handle the chaos of the newborn and toddler years (because seriously, you have never seen energy until you have a toddler). Older parents do well too, but I imagine I’ll be feeling at least a little bit slower 10 years from now. I'm sure our young age was a big factor in why we felt ready and excited to plunge right ahead and go for #2 only a year or so after our first was born.

4.   Multiple kids – If you give birth to your first at 28, you have plenty of time to have more children before age really becomes a factor. Many people strive to have their kids about 2-3 years apart. If you have baby #1 at 28, you can easily have 3 kids before age 32-33. By starting early, most of us won't have to worry about age impacting our family planning.

5.   No teenagers at home when you are in your late 50s – Older parents have to deal with parenting tweens and teenagers into their 50s and 60s. I personally want that time for myself and my husband, not college applications and teenage angst. Plus, there is no guarantee I’ll be healthy and fit in my 60s even if I try really hard to stay very fit and healthy…I don’t want teenagers dealing with the stress and insecurity of ailing parents if I can reduce the risk.

6. More time with grandbabies - If you have kids younger, you increase your chances of being around and more fit when and if they have their own children. My parents and inlaws are in their 60s and having younger grandparents has been amazing for everyone involved. Our parents are still plenty strong and capable and energetic enough to babysit, help out, and genuinely enjoy their grand children, all of whom are rambunctious and under age 4.

Cons:

1.   Possible lack of peers – Most of our friends aren’t even married yet, let alone having kids. We are the first in our friend group to have kids, and we could very well be done having 3 kids before many of them even start on their 1st. This isn’t a major factor, but it is a downside if you are hoping to have a bunch of friends going through similar stages as you are.

2.   Career – For women in particular, babies can present a challenge to their careers. Even women who work until their due date and take only 12 weeks off often find that pregnancy and the first year postpartum can really throw a wrench in their careers, at least for the short term. In your late 20s, many of us are poised for great career growth, and taking time off for maternity leave or scaling back your investment to handle daycare drop offs and pumping during work hours might negatively impact how fast one climbs the ladder. Dads can also be sidetracked by kids, but they often do not have to contend with pregnancy complications or postpartum recovery which starts the whole downward slide for many women.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:04:06 AM by little_brown_dog »

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »
I had my first baby at 34.  All I heard about was my "advanced maternal age".  Really, I though 35 was cut off but no, I needed this test and this test because of my "advanced maternal age".  They show you fertility charts and scare the hell out of you.  I didn't get married until 32 but according to my doctor I was past my prime for having children.  Had another at 36.  Same thing but the doctor was better.  It can't even image the stress if I was over 40. 

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 12:17:47 PM »
I'm 30, and had it been my choice, I would have probably already had children by now. But my partner is 27 and in the middle of his doctorate, so as a couple, it just wasn't a good idea. We're going to start trying when I'm 32, and hopefully be able to have two before I hit 35, which is my personal age at which I'd rather stop. Like everyone said though, this is highly personal - both younger and older have pros and cons. And no matter what, as long as everyone is happy and healthy, whatever age you choose will be the right one for you.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 01:20:37 PM »
I'm almost 35 and researched this extensively because I want to have my first child in my late 30ies.

This is both because I want to be FI by then and I split up with my partner of several years about 18 months ago.

If you are already thinking this through I recommend to get an antral follical count and your AMH tested once now and then every 2-3 years.

Truth is: most women will NOT have a problem conceiving at 35. But you need to find out in time whether you are in the unlucky minority.

On average (with HUGE differences among individual women) fertility slowly and gradually declines from mid 20ies. However, a smart 35 year old familiar with her cycle (read: taking charge of your fertility) can drive her chances of conception up to the level of a clueless 25 year old. 35 for most is not the point from which onwards the drop in fertility gets really sharp. This is more around 38. By 41 about half the women are medically infertile (unable to conceive during one year of reasonably well timed intercourse), by 43 most, and by 45 almost all are.

If you feel strongly about having kids late I would recommend to at least think about egg freezing. Sweet spot for a woman of average fertility is late 20ies or early 30ies (eggs still good while risk of purchasing an expensive procedure that you never actually benefit from is reduced).

I've done 3 round of egg freezing (I'll do one more in a few weeks), had a total of 44 eggs retrieved and frozen. I found the procedure somewhat uncomfortable but much less so than expected. It gave me a great peace of mind which my rather high AMH could not give me alone (according to the charts I'm around 27 fertilitywise, so 'older mum' my ass...).

Luckily, me freezing inspired a friend of mine to try it as well and she found out that she was almost out of eggs at 37. She went straight to IVF (despite being single) and got pregnant right away, against very poor odds. Would she have waited another year or two that would have been it.

So: Forget the average. Get your own data and evaluate your options. Even if your on the far end of the wrong side of the bell curve, with 25 you still have time to plan ahead. Getting tested every other year allows you a rather precise estimate of your own 'fertility curve'.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:26:42 PM by Lyssa »

BurtMacklin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 05:46:05 AM »
I personally didn't want to have kids too late. Ours will be out of college in our early fifties which will coincide with our retirement. Our goal is to be mortgage free when they are in college. Kids take a lot of energy, I would rather have them on the younger side. 

aprilchem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »
I got married at age 25 when I finished my Ph.D., we started trying to have kids when I was 27, and had our first when I was 30 after 18 months of infertility treatments.  I had my third at 35 - she's 7 now and I am 42 and my husband is 47. 

Honestly, I think there's no best time.  I have friends my age whose kids are grown and out of the house, and I have a friend who is 50 and has 5 year old twins (she got pregnant on her 6th round of IVF at age 45).  There are risks to having kids late in life, but there are also risks to having kids before you are financially established, when your marriage isn't strong, etc.  You have to weigh all the factors in your life and decide what's best for you. 

I will say that for us, having them all fairly quickly worked really well.  We had 3 in diapers at once and three in daycare at once, but my kids are thick as thieves and because they're all close to the same age, we can have them participate in a lot of the same activities as an entire family.  So all 3 do swim team, all 3 do karate, etc.

The only thing I would change had I the ability to go back is that I would have had one more for an even 4 after my daughter was born (I've got 2 boys and a girl).  I LOVE having kids, I love being a mom, and I love having a semi-big family.  And for me, it's the more, the merrier.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »
I personally didn't want to have kids too late. Ours will be out of college in our early fifties which will coincide with our retirement. Our goal is to be mortgage free when they are in college. Kids take a lot of energy, I would rather have them on the younger side.
I kind of felt "sooner is better", of course factoring in all the concerns others have brought up.  I am excited to be in my 40s while my kid is in college. Another decade of spending time with our kid versus waiting. My partner was even more 'ready' than I was, and is even younger.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 09:05:35 AM »
I second egg freezing if you want to wait.  I had my first at 30 but had I known how much I would enjoy kids I would have had it as a life goal earlier. i also did not anticipate how much I'd be into being a grandparent after seeing my kids grow and the thought that age and health might interfere with this was not on my radar when I was in my 20s.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
No perfect age IMO:

Teens - never a good idea usually
20's - have lots of energy and can tolerate the sleep deprivation more but not much money to go around usually.  Easier to get pregnant.   You might have to delay your career a bit.
30's - a little less energy, but you might have to pause your career, and it can be hard to reenter the workforce.  You usually have a bit more money and stability.
40's - Money is good, but your energy is lower.  You are established in your career so taking a break/step back might be easier.  Higher risk of birth defects and infertility.  Most of my friends have young kids at this age and I wouldn't advocate it personally.  They are exhausted and sick all the time. 

Egg freezing is overrated.  Honestly.  I see this as the panacea but it really isn't and it isn't 100% reliable.

One other thing to keep in mind.  The older you get, the harder it might be psychologically to have children.  What I mean by that is that I think people that have kids in their young 20's don't get as attached to the idea of personal freedom, and the adjustment to having to subvert your own want and even needs for a child becomes less of a challenge. 

My experience:  The youngest of my peers to have kids.  I had my kids at age 28 and age 30.  I had to plan for career interruption - I worked 6 years, then got a masters while home with my kids.  I was able to reenter the workforce with a fresh degree and little effort, but I am in tech in a tech city.  It was isolating because none of my friends really understood what having kids does to your life.  I had to make a group of new parent friends.  NOW that they are all having kids at age 40+, they get it.  I am looking forward to having more independence as my kids age through the teen years and go to college.   They are busting their ass, being in the prime of their careers while raising babies, toddlers, and elementary kids. 

Now if you are planning on FI or having a SAHP when having kids, its a different ball game.  That frees up a lot of family energy and time and makes the whole dynamic a bit easier. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 09:26:58 AM »
There is no right age IMO, as long as you are healthy and financially/emotionally stable, and you want kids.  Kids have the potential to rock your boat hard, so you just want to make sure you are stable first. 

We were busy with our careers and traveling, and did not even try until DH and I were both 35.  We just didn't feel the strong desire for kids until then.  Got pregnant immediately, had first at 36.  Same story with #2 -- got pregnant quickly and had second at 39. Loved every minute of it, no complications.  Had both kids at birth centers au naturale -- take that "advanced maternal age".  :)  Kids are 10 and 13 now.  There are moments of weirdness now and then where people see me with my gray hair and aren't sure if I'm the mom or the grandma, but I don't care.  In retrospect I wish we had done it a few years earlier, so we would have more time with our kids.  But it's all good.   

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »
I wish I had started earlier.
I got married at 22, and we planned to wait 2 years. We ended up waiting 11, for various reasons.

I lost my first pregnancy to a major genetic complication at 29 weeks. It is difficult to know if something similar would have happened if we younger, the problem was 1:1,000,000.  However, my current pregnancy also had a genetic problem that is age correlated (though thankfully, it turns out to be confined to the placenta and doesn't appear that it has affected the fetus, though it could.)  Interestingly, while there is no way to know if the egg or sperm caused either or both of the problems, the first one was more likely to be paternal in origin, and the second more likely to be maternal in origin.

The other thing is I'm just darn tired.  I had a lot more energy at 25 than I do now at 35. 
I also think with two genetic complications, one extremely severe, the other mild- I don't have the heart to do this again. Rather than two take-home children, we will likely only have one.  That's hard for me, as it was never the plan to only have 1 child.  I'd have more time to think about it if I was younger- the kids might just be more spaced out before I was ready to try again. But being about to deliver my first (hopefully) take home baby at 35, there is only so much spacing I can do before nature decides on the second child for me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:08:27 AM by iowajes »

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:15 AM »
>Egg freezing is overrated.  Honestly.  I see this as the panacea but it really isn't and it isn't 100% reliable. 

Egg freezing is completely underrated in my opinion.  Natural conception is not 100% reliable either and the impact of aging on egg viability is profound.   If you think you might not have a baby until later in life I'd strongly consider doing this in your 20s or 30s.

I'd much rather have a chance of conception at 40 based on many eggs frozen than zero chance. Storing 8 eggs or more doubles the chances of success, from 22% to 46%. 

It is also way cheaper than going egg donation from a third party and the genetic link is preferred for many. 

https://expectingscience.com/2015/06/08/egg-freezing-does-it-give-you-a-real-shot-at-having-a-baby/

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
>Egg freezing is overrated.  Honestly.  I see this as the panacea but it really isn't and it isn't 100% reliable. 

Egg freezing is completely underrated in my opinion.  Natural conception is not 100% reliable either and the impact of aging on egg viability is profound.   If you think you might not have a baby until later in life I'd strongly consider doing this in your 20s or 30s.

I'd much rather have a chance of conception at 40 based on many eggs frozen than zero chance. Storing 8 eggs or more doubles the chances of success, from 22% to 46%. 

It is also way cheaper than going egg donation from a third party and the genetic link is preferred for many. 

https://expectingscience.com/2015/06/08/egg-freezing-does-it-give-you-a-real-shot-at-having-a-baby/

Natural conception not being 100 per cent reliable may be the understatement of the year. :-)

When I researched this I realized (and read explicitly spelled out by scientists) that humans are a 'subfertile species'. There is so much that can and does go wrong all the time...

That's why I did not shoot for 8 or more but rather 50 or more eggs. This should give me a reasonable chance to have two children. Should a total of over 50 not even work out once than it most likely would not have worked out without the freezing as well. Unless the whole batch gets destroyed in some kind of natural disaster or terror attack. This would be a risk unrelated to my egg quality at the time of the freezing.

living_la_vida_mi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 10:27:58 AM »
I had my first (son) with 35 and second (daughter) with 39. Both pregnancies great. To me that was the ideal time, 7 years after we were married and financially stable. Gave us plenty of time to do all we wanted (get our education - one of us is a PhD, the other PhD/MD), as well as have fun with no responsibilities so to speak. I didn't think I was going to have a 2nd because it is a ton of work! But by the time my son was 4 we decided to try again and I was pregnant in 1 month (despite all talk of decreased fertility late 30s)...I highly recommend having kids in your 30s. It is the BEST adventure.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 10:29:44 AM »
Me 30 & her 26 was a pretty nice age for our first to be born.  Our second will be born in June, and I'll be 32 and she will be 28.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:32:15 AM by v8rx7guy »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
Me 30 & her 26 was a pretty nice age for our first to be born.  Our second will be born in June, and I'll be 32 and she will be 28.
Congrats on the soon to be baby!!

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »
I think that you should start with an medical assessment of your fertility and its likely evolution. From there you can make a more informed decision about having your children sooner rather than later if it turns out you're really running out of time.

Dobby's Socks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »
We were 27 when we had our first, and it has been great. We are now pregnant with our second, and will be 29 when he/she is born. I don't think there is a "right time", but this timeline has worked tremendously for us.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »
Congrats on the soon to be baby!!

Thank you very much.  We're excited!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
I don't think there is a best age.  It depends on your lifestyle and personality, stage of life.

I had my kids at almost-36 and 42.  Husband is 2 years older than me.

I was by no means ready to have kids in my 20's.  I married at 26, but was no co-habitating until 27, and husband was in grad school (and I was the main income) until age 31. 
When I was 29, we decided to try, estimating that husband only had a year left in grad school.  I got laid off.  I got a new job right away, but it was much more hands on and required daily handling of hazardous chemicals.

I was 33.5 before my company was successful enough and large enough to hire someone else to do the hazardous chem handling.

Took 18 months to get pregnant, and had started the path of fertility treatments, but nothing more than just tests.  Kid #1 born when I was almost 36.

We were "one and done", so to speak, got rid of everything except a few big ticket items to pass on to friends.  At age 3, kid #1 begs for a baby sister.  We say  no.  At age 3.5, we start waffling.  So we decide to try "what the heck, why not?"  At this point, I am 39.  We agree no fertility treatments.  I have a miscarriage at 40 and a couple of early pregnancy losses.

Finally at age 41, we say "eff it" and I give away the crib.  One month later I am pregnant, no joke.  Kid #2 born when I was 42.

So.  Yes, fertility issues can strike at any age, more likely after 35.  I have many many friends who had babies at 35-44, no fertility treatments, a couple who have had IUI and IVF, and some who were never able to have bio children.  Some childfree with dogs, some adopted.  As far as my own fertility goes, well I had a great great grandmother who had children from age 22 to 44.  So there was some precedent.

Energy - well you never know what you don't know.  Yes, it is tiring to have a 4 year old at 46.  I have friends who are grandparents for crying out loud.  But they do keep me young.  I'm fit and healthy.  I don't really have anything to compare it to.  I did not have kids in my 20's.  Personally, I have found that I have more patience now than I did when I was younger.  Also, I have more money and a lot more flexibility at work because of my experience. 

I will be 60 when kid #2 finishes high school.  Too old?  Meh.  You know my parents were both dead before my second kid was born.  That's a little sad.  My husband's parents were almost 70.  My MIL has a ton of energy and enjoys him.  FIL does not but that's his personality.  My dad was also older (large blended family) and *his* parents died before I was born (they were BORN in 1891 and 1892!)

There are pros and cons to both sides.  Which one fits you?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 06:20:42 PM »

- never had kids
- no age is best just don't have them
- save the planet have a great life and whenever you need a "kid moment" just borrow one from a friend or relative it's amazing how happy they are to share! ;)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
The consensus so far in this thread is that you're always healthier younger than older. I just want to point out that this isn't *always* the case. I have an autoimmune disease and as a result of improved disease management and lifestyle I'm significantly healthier at 29 than I was at 24 (or 16, or 26, or any other random age you want to pick).

So, yes, the average person might be healthier for pregnancy at 25 than 35, but individuals aren't statistics.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
My first child was born when I was 23, and DS5 was born a few weeks shy of my 38th birthday.  I loved having my kids early, but I really love watching them develop and grow and learn.  I was a SAHM until the youngest entered UPK, but I cared for another couple's 2 kids along with my oldest 2 as a side gig until we bought a house and moved to a new county - that was 4 kids under age 4, lots of fun!

Our older kids are all about 2.5-3 years apart, and that was a good gap in age.  The older one was just potty trained, and mature enough to be a helper (not jealous of being displaced, rather proud to be a big sibling), but close enough to play together eventually.  DS5 was a bit of a surprise, 6.5 years younger than his brother - he doesn't really have an agemate, but he has quite a few cousins +-2 years as my sibs are younger and started on kids later.  That last pregnancy was a tiny bit more tiring/achy/whatever than when I was younger, but not really noticeably different due to age.  I had lots of built-in helpers when baby came home, but also more commitments to take the older kids to, vs the homebodies we were when the first bunch were little.

Despite one breadwinner for nearly 20 years, relatively low income, not knowing about the concept of FIRE until our 40s, we managed to pay off our mortgage around the time the oldest started college, and got aggressive about saving for FIRE.  Now, at 49/50 we have 2 kids out of college, 2 in college, and DS5 just turned 12.  I'm running the numbers to see if we can hit FIRE to coincide with his shift to college, to best benefit his financial aid.  At the same time, while DH is mentally ready to be done working, I'm just having fun with my part time after-kids career and might want to continue a bit longer.  No benefits, though.  We'll see.

My maternal grandmother had 9 kids;  My mother is second youngest and was born when she was 42.  The youngest was born when she was 46.   Grandma had a miscarriage in her 50s!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 04:12:36 AM »
The consensus so far in this thread is that you're always healthier younger than older. I just want to point out that this isn't *always* the case. I have an autoimmune disease and as a result of improved disease management and lifestyle I'm significantly healthier at 29 than I was at 24 (or 16, or 26, or any other random age you want to pick).

So, yes, the average person might be healthier for pregnancy at 25 than 35, but individuals aren't statistics.

Thanks for saying this, Happier.  I was also noticing the theme in this thread that tiredness and poor health increase as you get older.  For sure, the longer we live the greater chance that something will go wrong with our bodies, but as far as the energy goes -- I am 50 and have as much energy as I did in my 20s.  I literally feel no difference yet.  I went through a rough patch in my early 30s where my energy dipped because I was working too many hours at a desk job and my exercise routine suffered.  Sitting too much really sucks the life out of you.  Once I  got a new job and had the time to exercise again that corrected itself.

Barring things like injuries, infections, cancer, etc., I think we are largely in control of our own energy and how we age.  I think it may be "use it or lose it."   If we stay active (and eat well) we feel young a lot longer.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 04:46:24 PM »
My maternal grandmother had 9 kids;  My mother is second youngest and was born when she was 42.  The youngest was born when she was 46.   Grandma had a miscarriage in her 50s!
And this, my friend, is why my hubby got snipped when I was 44.

Bimmy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 04:57:47 PM »
I was 21, 24, and 26 when my kids were born. We were debt free and my wife really wanted to be a SAHM. So the "early and often" approach works well for us. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
I was 21, 24, and 26 when my kids were born. We were debt free and my wife really wanted to be a SAHM. So the "early and often" approach works well for us.
Early and often. I like it.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »
Had my first (and so far only) at 28. DH was 34. It's worked out well thus far, and we'll probably try again later this year after my 30th birthday. For us, it hit the sweet spot of financially secure but still energetic(ish). DH may FIRE after #2 was born, which was our original plan, but we shall see...

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 07:08:28 PM »
I don't think there's any best time, but it's good to be aware of the usual trajectory fertility takes.  Fertility is a crazy thing and hard to predict with accuracy.

Female fertility starts to decline rather precipitously at 37.  By 42 IVF has a 4% chance per cycle with the woman's own eggs.

DW had our daughter when she was 37 and I was 34.  We started trying to get pregnant when she was 34, and it took a lot of intervention to get her pregnant.  All her tests were normal and there is no explanation for why it was so hard.

We're a same sex couple and when things were looking grim for her chances of success, I got all the fertility testing too.  I was 33 at the time and my test results were not good.  My ovarian reserve was low and things didn't look good for my chances to get pregnant, although our doctor was not straightforward with us about this.

Fast forward two years, and we try to get me pregnant, not understanding my chances are pretty low.  I did two completely failed cycles of IVF and we were in the process of getting second opinions when we decided to do a hail mary unmedicated insemination just for the hell of it.  I got pregnant that cycle and am due in March.  So in the end, I had an easier time getting pregnant even though I am subfertile and DW's tests look great.

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 08:59:23 AM »
Certainly biologically and energy wise, early to mid-twenties.

As far as socially and practically, early 30s.

Pluses and negatives for both.

I wish I had started way earlier. 

Starting late affected my ability to get pregnant and have several children.

YMMV

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
We enjoyed 5 years of marriage before our first.  Mainly, because I was in grad school.  But, that time being married but with no kids was valuable.

No right time, but just the trade-offs you are willing to make. 

We will be 57 and 56 once our youngest (we have two) is 22.  For me, that is a little old to still feel financially responsible for the kids.

One good friend was born when his parents were still undergrads.....not ideal.  They had only him (cuz he was perfect ; ) or because they realized the amount of work), but at mid-40s they were 'free' to do as they pleased.

My sister had her first at 23.  Has 4 total spread out over 9 years.  She is 48, but last kid will be off to college or other when 50.

Some financial stability, but not so much that you put off until late 30s is my opinion.  If your husband is the main wage earner then I'd say the earlier the better.

Oh, and at 32.5 my wife had pre-eclampsia (sp) and almost died.  Second pregnancy well-monitored.  My mom had it too with my younger sister.  Mom was 33 at the time and spent several days in the ICU.  In both cases, the child (my daughter and sister) was a preemie and spent many weeks in the hospital before coming home.

GU

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »
Hey all,

I am currently 25 and do not see myself having kids for at least 10 years (hoping to FIRE at ~35). My main reason is that I want to be a significant factor in my child's education, I feel reaching FI first will help with this greatly.

I have heard information ranging from "don't have kids too late" to "having kids at 40 is a great idea".

Are you married?  Don't have kids if you're not married would be my advice.  Men tend not to stick around once a baby comes along--they're too much work, and most women are less desirable post-baby for a whole host of reasons.  It's awful hard to raise a kid alone.  And children do better in a stable, two-parent home anyway. 

As for age, as others have mentioned, the medical community views any pregnancy at 35 or older as "high risk."  Taking that into account, you need to (1) get married if you're not already, (2) do most of the stuff you want to do that will be difficult post-baby, and then (3) start having kids.  Others have said it, but I'll repeat it, there's never a perfect time to have a baby, you just have to do it (assuming a reasonably stable foundation is in place).  If you already know you want kids, don't' wait too long.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
Interesting article on the egg freezing.  Honestly, I'll cop to being ill informed on that issue.  I had no idea that the technology had advanced so far and I do think that if you have the spare cash and having a kid is critical to you, it might be a good option. 

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
We got married young (DW was 18!) and started on the kids immediately.

I'm due to retire at 45... the year my youngest graduates high school.

I'm so glad we started early, and we're looking forward to a adventuring before we're too gray to enjoy it.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »
Hey all,

Are you married?  Don't have kids if you're not married would be my advice.  Men tend not to stick around once a baby comes along--they're too much work, and most women are less desirable post-baby for a whole host of reasons.  It's awful hard to raise a kid alone.  And children do better in a stable, two-parent home anyway. 

As for age, as others have mentioned, the medical community views any pregnancy at 35 or older as "high risk."  Taking that into account, you need to (1) get married if you're not already, (2) do most of the stuff you want to do that will be difficult post-baby, and then (3) start having kids.
Wow.. blatant sexism from all directions, along with some 1950 's relationship advice.  Good work.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 02:49:53 PM »
We waited until my husband was done with grad school.We had been married 9 years and I was 30 years old when first child was born. We were lucky and got pregnant right away each time we were trying for a baby. Had another at 33 and the last child the day after my 36th birthday. It really took the wind out of my sails at the first Dr. appt and had to check the Advanced Maternal Age box. The last one was so much harder than the other two. I was more tired, more achy, more OLD! I wish we had started earlier. Mostly because now our friends' children are all off at college and we still have one in elementary school.

A friend who had her third at 28 has said the same thing (as in the bolded text) to me. What you both had in common was that you had two other young kids when pregnant with the third!

GU

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Hey all,

As for age, as others have mentioned, the medical community views any pregnancy at 35 or older as "high risk."  Taking that into account, you need to (1) get married if you're not already, (2) do most of the stuff you want to do that will be difficult post-baby, and then (3) start having kids.
Wow.. blatant sexism from all directions, along with some 1950 's relationship advice.  Good work.

Here is some support for my advice:  http://theweek.com/articles/678323/new-study-shows-how-important-kids-have-married-parents

This doesn't "prove" I'm correct, but that advice was not invented out of thin air, nor was it based in 1950s nostalgia. 

havregryn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
I had my first at 29 unplanned. Second at 32 and will hopefully manage a third one by the time I am 34.
I actually wish I had met my husband sooner and had all these kids somewhere in mid twenties. At the same time, if that first kid hadn't happened as an accident we'd probably still be childless (I'm about to turn 33) and analyzing pros and cons. It's impossible to say what the best time is but kids consume a lot of time and resources for a very long time so the sooner you have them, the more fun you get to have later. Because of the limited fertility window on women that seems like a better strategy than first doing all the fun things and then having babies. But I know people who had kids in late thirties and early forties and they're happy and healthy and thriving. I don't think the age is key, it's knowing who you want to have kids with.