Author Topic: Beans: how do you make them work?  (Read 13978 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Beans: how do you make them work?
« on: September 19, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
I love beans (especially pinto) and I love that they are cheap and high in protein. I made some tasty ones last week in the slow cooker that turned out well, however.....

I am struggling with their side effects, to put it mildly. :) Bean-o is not completely effective and not cheap either! How do you folks do it? I've got a professional image to maintain here.. haha

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: Beans: how do you make them work?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
Some people say that soaking them is helpful--have you been soaking?

Wish I could be more helpful. Mr. FP complains about the same thing, but it seems to be worse when the beans are with other things (especially cheese) than if I just serve them plainish (eg, black bean burgers) or with rice.

You could also try other varieties. I think he might have the most trouble with pintos, as it happens, with black and white beans being lesser offenders. Good luck :-).

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
Pre-soak for a day, rinse thoroughly after soaking, pressure cook. Seems to work pretty well for us.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »
Our bodies got used to them, but it took time.
We found smaller portions and eating them every few days helped.
Now that we are used to them we eat them every day.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »
Soak overnight and rinse before cooking. But you do need to go light on volume till you're used to them.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 02:48:41 PM »
Definitely soak them overnight and then rinse them well and add fresh water for cooking. Also, when there's foam on top of the cooking water as it boils away, skim that off. Make sure the beans are well cooked -- nice and soft. Eating beans more often will help your body adjust, too.

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
Our bodies got used to them, but it took time.

This seems to be the biggest thing, just adjusting over time to them. Even Alton Brown's said that.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
I was told to soak overnight with a tablespoon of baking soda in the water to degas. Rinse beans before cooking. Works pretty well for us.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »
You may want to try sprouting beans.  From what I've read, sprouted beans known to produce much less gas, and that has been my personal experience.  Plus, sprouting may enhance the nutritional profile of beans as well.

I've started sprouting whole urad and understand that lentils and chickpeas also make good sprouts.  Some beans can be toxic if not cooked, so you might start with this website as a reference for what can safely be sprouted:

https://sproutpeople.org/seeds/bean-sprouts/

This post from Vegetarian Times explains how to do it:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/how-to-soak-and-sprout-nuts-seeds-grains-and-beans/

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 04:07:20 PM »
This thread is a lifesaver. I've been avoiding beans (despite doctor's orders) because of this exact same issue (Bad Gassy Things Happening Way Too Often).

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 04:34:53 PM »
Some legumes are more gasifying than others. I think it's lentils and black eyed peas are the least offending, while chickpeas and beans are more likely to produce gas. Oligosaccharides are the culprit- they are a type of carbohydrate that we don't digest but our intestinal bacteria do. To reduce farts, soak over night before cooking, cook in lots of water, cook until they are completely tender, and then rinse. After a while you won't need to do all that because you and your intestinal bacteria adjust.

Emerald

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 05:04:43 PM »
I live alone. :-)

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »
You know why Irish stew has only 239 beans?

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »
Or you could quit your job, eat as many fiber-filled beans are you can, and use that to your advantage. By getting paid to poop at a stool bank.

http://www.openbiome.org/

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
A big second to all the suggestions so far --
*presoak and change the water (following Cook's Illustrated: salt the soaking water, contrary to folk belief).
*pick your species (navy beans or undercooked kidney beans will be the worst). Buy small amounts from a bulk store till you find your fave.
*cook beans thoroughly, especially kidney.
*add a TINY pinch of baking soda... this is more about softening the beans faster, rather than much fart-reducing.
*consider sprouting (the brief Indian-style, to 1/4 inch, rather than the long Chinese style), but be aware that the nutritional claims are probably overstated (yes, you get 1000% more of some nutrients, but only the ones that were barely there to start with).
*definitely build up to it slowly. Maybe add a hummus or a bean salad dish to one meal a day (keep a bunch in the fridge).

...and a couple more suggestions:
*cook with a gas-reliever from various bean-lovin' countries -- a little turmeric or ginger or epazote.
*avoid recipes with sugar in them, at least at first. Sugar seems to multiply the gas trouble.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 07:33:18 PM »
When I cook them, I don't pre-soak.  However, I bring them to a rapid boil and pour off the water 3 times and start with fresh water each time, and only then do I commence simmering them for hours.  YMMV,but we are rarely gassy using this method.  Happy savings!

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »
There is a classic scene in the seventies movie Blazing Saddles, where cowboys are sitting around a campfire at night eating plates of beans, and occasionally lifting their backsides off the logs they were sitting on to fart. In the cinema, there was disbelieving laughter.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! You are correct that I did not pre-soak because I was not feeling particularly patient. I will definitely try that next time. Do you pre-soak in the fridge or on the counter? I'll also try a pinch of baking soda.

I could try other beans but quite frankly pintos are my favorite, gas or not. I'll also try eating smaller quantities more frequently and see if that helps.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! You are correct that I did not pre-soak because I was not feeling particularly patient. I will definitely try that next time. Do you pre-soak in the fridge or on the counter? I'll also try a pinch of baking soda.

I could try other beans but quite frankly pintos are my favorite, gas or not. I'll also try eating smaller quantities more frequently and see if that helps.

Type seems to be a major component for people. Most people tolerate at least one variety of bean, even before their gut biota acclimates. Our little bugs need to adjust to what we're eating =) I'm trying to find the study- they had a group of test subjects try different varieties of legumes, and only one subject didn't tolerate any, most people tolerated 3-5 of the varieties out of the 17 varieties of legume they tested (if I recall the numbers correctly... can't find the study right now! Sorry).

Many people tolerate lentils much better than beans, but they will still lead to the needed gut microbe adjustment. So if it is very bad, you can just eat lentils several times a week (consistency is key!), and then start adding novel beans.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »
Do you pre-soak in the fridge or on the counter? I'll also try a pinch of baking soda.

Type seems to be a major component for people. Most people tolerate at least one variety of bean, even before their gut biota acclimates. Our little bugs need to adjust to what we're eating =) I'm trying to find the study- they had a group of test subjects try different varieties of legumes, and only one subject didn't tolerate any, most people tolerated 3-5 of the varieties out of the 17 varieties of legume they tested (if I recall the numbers correctly... can't find the study right now! Sorry).

Bracken_Joy, I would love to see that study if you can track it down!

ysette9, I would soak in the fridge if it's going to be more than 8 hours, or it's very hot. Otherwise the countertop is fine. It's also fine to hot-soak (bring to boil, leave beans in hot water, drain after an hour and proceed as if you'd long-soaked). All the different methods do the same thing -- leach oligosaccharides (fart-makers!) into the water that you pour away.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 09:09:32 AM »
Add a pinch of ginger to the pot as you cook them.  Seems to help the digestion a bit and isn't enough to change the flavor.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »
Thanks for the thread.  We usually save the bean meals for Friday nights (it was black beans this past week).  Sounds like avoiding them during the week might actually make things worse. Seems like I get hit harder than the rest of the family.  I probably eat more of them, plus I'm sure the beer I use to wash them down doesn't help either...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 10:00:59 AM »
Thanks for the thread.  We usually save the bean meals for Friday nights (it was black beans this past week).  Sounds like avoiding them during the week might actually make things worse. Seems like I get hit harder than the rest of the family.  I probably eat more of them, plus I'm sure the beer I use to wash them down doesn't help either...
Oh, I literally feel your pain, So Close. When I hit fifty and had my first (and apparently last) colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with a "tortuous" colon. I didn't ask, but assume the extra twists and turns have something to do with why DH can eat a cup of beans to my tablespoon and I'm the one with the ill effects.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 10:06:18 AM »
I'm just gassy all the time so I don't notice the difference. Have you tried just being gassy all the time?

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 10:18:04 AM »
I'm just gassy all the time so I don't notice the difference. Have you tried just being gassy all the time?

I suspect this is the reason for the mask in the photo? 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »
I'm serious man, I wake up and roll over and usually let one out for 3-5 seconds, regardless of dinner. DW thinks something's wrong with me. Also, my uproarious laughter is universally not appreciated.

Kimchi Bleu

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »
Pre-soak for a day, rinse thoroughly after soaking, pressure cook. Seems to work pretty well for us.

Care to share your method for using the pressure cooker?  Trying some red beans out tonight in my Instant Pot.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »
Just started some black beans in the crockpot for tonites dinner ... yum! Bean burritos (1/3 cheese, 1/3 black beans, 1/3 rice -- season with salt, pepper and cumin -- bake 25-35 min or until wraps are crunchy, serve with sour cream and salsa)

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
I tried all the tricks - soaking, rinsing, kombu...

Nothing worked until I started sprouting my beans. Which sounded like a lot of work, so I avoided it for ages. I wanted a quick fix!

But you know... it works like a charm. It takes a little planning. Once they sprout, I move them to the fridge if plans change and I'm not ready to cook them - otherwise they'll rot.

Usually I soak over night, drain and leave them in the collander, and if it's warm in the house, they might sprout by the next evening (ie: 24 hours after the start of soaking). Some beans take longer though, so if they haven't sprouted, I give them a rinse on the second night and leave them. Most beans sprout by the second morning.

tl;dr - Sprouting is annoying, but it gets rid of gas.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2015, 10:47:55 AM »
The gas is a side effect of the beans feeding the good bacteria in your gut.  In this respect beans are one of the best 'gut health' foods you can eat, even better than yogurt.  Over time your body adapts and the gas dials down. 

Soaking overnight and pressure cooking or slow cooking all help with gas.

HazelStone

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »
I dump black beans and sufficient water in the pressure cooker, no soaking. Comes out fine, though a little mushy if left too long. Time required may depend on age of beans.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
I dump black beans and sufficient water in the pressure cooker, no soaking. Comes out fine, though a little mushy if left too long. Time required may depend on age of beans.

A pressure cooker is on my wish list for this very reason! I don't soak beans, typically, but all day in the crockpot compared to a pressure cooker is amazing!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 01:05:18 PM »
This thread has reminded me I haven't eaten any brand since we moved last month. We'll have hummus tomorrow to stretch out the chicken a little further.
I'm serious man, I wake up and roll over and usually let one out for 3-5 seconds, regardless of dinner. DW thinks something's wrong with me. Also, my uproarious laughter is universally not appreciated.
Not gonna lie, I LOLed IRL like OMGWTFBBQ

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »

Time to take your act on the road, like the famous Le Pétomane?

HazelStone

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »

A pressure cooker is on my wish list for this very reason! I don't soak beans, typically, but all day in the crockpot compared to a pressure cooker is amazing!

It does wonderful things for chili and stews as well. Retains more flavor, and I can cook chili in 20 minutes instead of an hour or more.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »
Uh, tortuous colon, perhaps? Can't wait to share this laugh with DH, as I'm sure he'll be glad to know he's not the only one with this experience on his life checklist.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55:21 PM »
In Texas and other parts of the bean eating world, I think they add Epazote to beans to remove some of the toots.

I found this on a site about Mexican food:

Definition: This Mexican herb has been used in Mexican cuisine for thousands of years dating back to the Aztecs who used it for cooking as well as for medicinal purposes. Although epazote is poisonous in large quantities, it has been used in moderation to help relieve abdominal discomfort (gassiness) that can come from eating beans. It has become a distinct flavor in Mexican cuisine and is now used to season a variety of dishes including beans, soups, salads and quesadillas. The older leaves have a stronger flavor and should be used sparingly. Younger leaves have a milder, yet richer flavor.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 09:07:46 PM »
Definitely want to follow this thread. I have the same experience :)

Kimchi Bleu

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2015, 07:10:09 AM »
Didn't pressure cook my beans this time.  Let them soak for 24 hours and put them in the crock pot.  I think the longer soaking time helped!  Will have to try them in the pressure cooker next time.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »
It seems like I have less trouble with beans since I went on a whole foods plant based diet. Not sure why this should be, but I'm guessing my gut flora changed in some way that makes it not such a problem. I also eat them more often now--several times a week.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2015, 05:37:36 AM »
It seems like I have less trouble with beans since I went on a whole foods plant based diet. Not sure why this should be, but I'm guessing my gut flora changed in some way that makes it not such a problem. I also eat them more often now--several times a week.

I suspect that is the case.  I eat beans usually every weekday and never have any problem.

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
Funny enough, I came across this post as I'm waiting for our evening bean dish to be done.  A few years ago I started using a pressure cooker for beans, and it's awesome to be able to go from dried beans to fully cooked in less than half an hour.  No kidding! A trick is that after putting in your beans and liquid, put in about a teaspoon or two of oil so that the beans can't foam up and clog the pressure mechanism.  I've never had a problem doing beans in the pressure cooker.  Give it a try, the time factor gives much more flexibility, for those of us who don't always stay on top of planning ahead. 

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
KimchiBleu:
We use our Instant Pot for beans frequently and love the results.  Another poster has responded with their technique - straight from dried.  We use the Quick Soak method:

I put the beans in the Instant Pot stainless steel bowl and cover them with cold water plus 2-3 inches.  I set the Instant Pot on Manual, clicking the Adjust button within 30 seconds to raise the temperature to high.  As you know, do not put the pressure cooker lid on at this point.  I do not cover at all, but some people have a glass lid with their Instant Pot or an old pan or Corning Ware lid that would fit if you want to speed the boil.

After the water comes to a boil, I turn the Instant Pot  (IP) off (timing is not critical, I've been off by 5 minutes on this with no problem).  I lay the Pressure Cooker lid on top, at an bit of an angle, to hold heat (the optional lid would work quite well for this, too).  Then I wait an hour.  After that hour of "Quick Soak", I drain the beans in a colander,  put them back in the IP stainless steel bowl, cover them again with water (cold) plus about a 3 inch depth and usually I add a bay leaf at this point.  Next, I secure the IP pressure cooker lid, turn the toggle to the closed (pressure) position, and begin to pressure cook the beans using the Manual button and time setting.  I set Garbanzo beans at 25 minutes, Adzuki at 16 min, Pintos at 25.  I always Natural Pressure release beans (NPR).....well, at least for 15 minutes (I am not always as patient as I ought to be.  Otherwise you get a cloggy mess.   My times are longer than most, I think, because I'd rather have my beans really tender than to have to repressurize and cook another 2 minutes (again, a patience issue!).  I recall one time the beans were not "quite" done to my taste and I just set "saute" to medium and simmered them for another 10 min in the pot.

So my way takes longer overall than cooking from dry, and my times are longer than the guidelines that come with the IP.    But my beans are really tender.  BTW: they freeze wonderfully in baggies, portion sized for future recipes.  My tip:  as you find times that work for you, write them down in your IP booklet for future reference.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2015, 11:21:45 AM »
Just wanted to make sure that spices and herbs were mentioned. I'm pretty sure Cumin is also supposed to reduce gas, but it's good to know ginger does it also.

Also, perhaps not cooking the beans with a side dish of gas causing vegetables so you don't double up. Cruciferous and onions are two off the top of my head. But cooking dinner without dicing an onion seems unnatural to me. Haha

Kimchi Bleu

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
KCalla:  Thanks for the info!  Will definitely try this out this week.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »
Definitely less gassy with beans since i gave up grains.  Not sure why, but there it is.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
I want to say that I love pinto beans. They're my favorite.  Maybe it helps to eat them more often. . .  or to be Hispanic. We never have a gas problem with beans, but they are part of our regular diet.  Brussel sprouts, however, are another story.  . .

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2015, 02:07:47 AM »
Have you tried buying tinned beans? Rinse them really thoroughly and you may find them better. Not sure why, but works for me with chickpeas. (Slightly more expensive but also more convenient.)

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2015, 08:52:25 AM »
Add a pinch of ginger to the pot as you cook them.  Seems to help the digestion a bit and isn't enough to change the flavor.
Neat trick, turns out ive been doing this just for flavor without realizing the side effect was reduced gas! Maybe the bacon Ive been adding is helping too (wishful thinking...)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »
Drink mint tea after dinner to dissipate GI gas naturally.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!