Author Topic: Baby steps on building my mini mustache  (Read 2118 times)

aaronpct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Baby steps on building my mini mustache
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »
I wanted to write about some of the things i've slowly started implementing in my life by sharing them with the MMM community.

I ordered an Oyster hair clippers system which will save me $20.00 per month or $240.00 per year.  Last night my SO helped me out and it turned out just great, so this is something I can definitely live with.  Also I cleaned off the bike and got it into riding shape, I rode to work today (11 miles each way, so 22 miles total) which took me 50 minutes.  I also have a road bike, but the saved time in taking that to work is not worth the risk of riding on Jacksonville Florida's roads.  Its a city that has ranked highest in being the worst city for cyclists and pedestrians, including cycling related fatalities.  The city is designed to force most people to drive everywhere and its one reason why i'm looking to get out of this city.  With this new found 1' 40" of exercise, i'll  reduce my cross fit membership from unlimited to 3 days per week (can't cycle every day) which should save me 30.00 per month.

Total savings:
Cycling 3 days per week (22 miles @ .50 per mile): $11.00 per day or $132.00 per month if I average 12 rides per month.
Hair Cuts: $20.00 per month
Cross-fit reduction: $30.00 per month

Total potential Monthly savings: $182.00
Total potential Annual savings: $2,184.00

These savings will add 3.18 % to my total savings rate, which seems small. But its my hope to continue optimizing to find more ways to save to keep on increasing my savings rate.  Currently my savings rate is approximately 54.88%.  My calcs say i'm living off of approximately 42k a year, so i've got a long way to go to match MMM's Sub 32K lifestyle.

I am working on other things to reduce costs and expenses and hope to share them as well in the near future.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: Baby steps on building my mini mustache
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
Good work!  I like the movie What About Bob, so I always think "baby steps to financial independence".

My calcs say i'm living off of approximately 42k a year, so i've got a long way to go to match MMM's Sub 32K lifestyle.

You may be closer than you think.  His spending doesn't include housing costs as his home is paid off.

aaronpct

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Baby steps on building my mini mustache
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
Ah I didn't even think about that, thanks that definitely puts it into perspective!

I definitely need to stop throwing money away on rent, but as I want to move after my SO completes her undergrad (she went back to school to help her change career paths) which will be about 3 years out (working full time while doing classes...in her junior year currently).  I'm hoping to have a huge down payment for a house by the time we are ready to move.