Author Topic: Australian Gardening Thread  (Read 144723 times)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
Re: Australian Gardening Thread
« Reply #450 on: June 08, 2017, 07:22:14 PM »
My dad is bringing me peas to plant! i need to prep the sunny spot i have chosen for them.
I really need to plant my garlic. Which actually means get my husband to plant the garlic, because I'm not allowed to kneel or dig for another three weeks.
:(

JaneLane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #451 on: June 13, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
Hi, any advice on what to grow in winter? I feel like all my seedlings aren't making it past an inch high. 
I'm in Canberra, so its currently frosty, cold and the sunshine in my garden is not too good.
I'm considering using lamps to get them going inside, has this worked for anyone else?

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #452 on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
No help from here, it's currently so warm that my capsicum and chilli are flowering :S
I successfully hurried up a bunch of spring seeds to germinate last year though just by putting them in the bathtub for the extra warmth.
What are you planting?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #453 on: June 15, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »
Hi, any advice on what to grow in winter? I feel like all my seedlings aren't making it past an inch high. 
I'm in Canberra, so its currently frosty, cold and the sunshine in my garden is not too good.
I'm considering using lamps to get them going inside, has this worked for anyone else?
http://www.cogs.asn.au/organic-gardening/seasonal-gardening/winter-planting-guide/

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #454 on: August 05, 2017, 04:09:22 AM »
What's everyone doing in the garden this weekend?

As well as some long overdue pruning and weeding (I barely made a dent in the weeds...) today I planted my garlic. I know it's super late to plant garlic, but I figured I may as well give it a go and see what happens.

Blueberries and strawberries are starting to flower, as is the dwarf nectarine. Lots of lemons at various stages of development, and looks like we might get our first lime before too much longer.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #455 on: August 05, 2017, 04:15:02 AM »
I have been living on grapefruit and lemons for weeks and weeks. Otherwise I am too sick to garden at the moment. I think I officially have flu. We found out tonight that a friend went to hospital with the lurgy that is everywhere here at the moment. But today I am starting to get better!!!!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #456 on: August 05, 2017, 05:36:29 AM »
I've cleared the mess around my lemon tree, pruned it, and will mulch and fertilise tomorrow. My veggie patch is just about entirely cleared out, just a few random pieces of garlic remain :( .

In view of the fact I am selling the house, my direction in the garden has changed substantially. I had a crew of 4 blokes come and prune, weed  and generally clear out. I had to go inside for a fair part of the day as I was getting too emotional about stuff that needed to come out. These guys know how to prepare a garden for sale, so I needed to let them get on with it, not have conniptions every 5 mins. There's more to go down the back.

I still have some veges in 2/4 of my wicking beds. I 'm not sure how I will move them yet. Probably take all the dirt out and see how heavy they are.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #457 on: August 05, 2017, 07:36:26 AM »
I admired my kangaroo paw, then glared at the weeds in my lawn. No idea how I'm going to get rid of them. Might need to ask a family member to spray with weed & feed or get DH to do it for me - the lawn is basically weeds with a couple of grass blades

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »
I have some lawn like that!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
I'm meant to weed my lawn?!

I thought weeding the garden beds was bad enough...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
If the weeds are green and you mow it all the same length, will it matter? I guess if there's bindis and stuff it does with kids... I recommend squinting at it rather than glaring and it will all look the same :)

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2017, 08:10:18 PM »
Weed problems here too - someone told me once to pour a bit of salt on the weeds and apparently that will kill them off...it might be quicker if I just throw it all over the "Lawn" and start again...

I have just grown my first cauliflower and have some broccoli looking ready to harvest.  It's the first time I've tried something other than the usual salady type things so I'm feeling quite proud!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: August 06, 2017, 02:32:03 AM »
Oooh cauliflower, I'm jealous. I never could even get the one pack of seed I had to germinate...probably a dud pack. I'll have another go in my new house.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: August 06, 2017, 02:38:43 AM »
I spent a couple of hours this afternoon mulching and fertilising the lemon tree...maybe I can get it to set fruit before I leave. I won't get to eat it, but its more of a challenge than anything.

I dug up and separated some native irises and replanted them. And more weeding! Its so dry here ATM, I think I'm going to buy a sprinkler..who ever heard of such a thing in a rainforest? However its now August and I want the garden to really get going well for selling in a couple of months.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #464 on: August 06, 2017, 06:20:41 AM »
If the weeds are green and you mow it all the same length, will it matter? I guess if there's bindis and stuff it does with kids... I recommend squinting at it rather than glaring and it will all look the same :)
Yup, I want to actually use the grass, not just look at it ;)

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #465 on: August 06, 2017, 10:43:51 PM »
Not doing much gardening myself at the moment, but I was walking the dogs and an old man down the street was pruning his big lemon tree in his front yard and he gave me a couple. Score! Squeezed it onto mexican chicken salad for dinner.
I have a real soft spot for old men gardeners. This guy and I have only exchanged waves/nods before. He was definitely rocking socks and sandals.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #466 on: August 16, 2017, 06:11:03 AM »
Remind me, can weeds be killed with application of boiling water? Has anyone here tried that? I need to kill a lot quickly with minimal effort and chemicals (breastfeeding mama and I only get short breaks during naptime).

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #467 on: August 16, 2017, 06:17:07 AM »
Remind me, can weeds be killed with application of boiling water? Has anyone here tried that? I need to kill a lot quickly with minimal effort and chemicals (breastfeeding mama and I only get short breaks during naptime).

I imagine that would work. I have a spray bottle with white vinegar. You can add some salt if the weeds are somewhere you don't want plants to grow ever.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: August 16, 2017, 06:21:33 AM »

Boiling water will work, steam is better, it heats the cells and causes the cell walls to burst.  Non toxic weed killing is done with steam wands.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/06/the-easiest-chemical-free-way-to-kill-weeds/

https://www.echo.net.au/2014/02/non-toxic-steam-weeding-trials-begin/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:27:33 PM by GT »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #469 on: August 16, 2017, 06:44:58 AM »
Fabulous, I'll try the kettle tomorrow.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: August 16, 2017, 07:17:42 AM »
Don't forget the same mechanism that kills the weeds will kill not-weeds as well. So be careful.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #471 on: August 19, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »
Today's hailstorm stripped quite a few flowers and green blueberries (greenberries?) off my blueberry bushes :-(

But my garlic has come up quickly. My dwarf nectarine is in beautiful blossom now. The lavender is looking and smelling fantastic.

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #472 on: August 20, 2017, 01:46:19 AM »
Today's hailstorm stripped quite a few flowers and green blueberries (greenberries?) off my blueberry bushes :-(

But my garlic has come up quickly. My dwarf nectarine is in beautiful blossom now. The lavender is looking and smelling fantastic.

Sorry about your flowers and greenberries :(

My garlic has just come up and I also have several fruit trees that are just starting to blossom.  Planted another apple tree today - bramley's seedling - positioned it near two other apple trees - apparently it needs to be cross-pollinated by two other trees...I had got my head around some fruit trees needing a mate...but two mates!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #473 on: August 20, 2017, 02:56:59 AM »

I used to use boiling water, it works really well. But you have to make sure you don't splash and burn yourself i.e. wear closed shoes and trousers. Also its fairly labour intensive if you have a large area. But if want to just do a bit at a time with a kettle in-between baby chores its good.

Then I got a weed-wand. AKA flamethrower. Much easier, but if you aim it at combustible material you'll have a fire in no time ( ask me about the tale of the burning bush, ahem and I also part melted the base of a little plastic greenhouse when the leaves underneath caught fire).  The gas cylinders do cost about $10, so boiling water is probably cheaper.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #474 on: August 20, 2017, 04:22:44 AM »

I used to use boiling water, it works really well. But you have to make sure you don't splash and burn yourself i.e. wear closed shoes and trousers. Also its fairly labour intensive if you have a large area. But if want to just do a bit at a time with a kettle in-between baby chores its good.

Then I got a weed-wand. AKA flamethrower. Much easier, but if you aim it at combustible material you'll have a fire in no time ( ask me about the tale of the burning bush, ahem and I also part melted the base of a little plastic greenhouse when the leaves underneath caught fire).  The gas cylinders do cost about $10, so boiling water is probably cheaper.
Good, I can do this during naps (bit of water for my cuppa, rest on the weeds in awkward spots). The weeds in garden beds are easy, but the ones in the paving, next to the fence etc are what I'm planning on boiling (cue evil cackle).

This weekend we removed the winter's weeds from the garden beds with help from family. There was a LOT. Weather was lovely.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #475 on: August 20, 2017, 05:43:03 PM »
This weekend I planted seed potatoes. There's a garden bed down the back that used to be dedicated to sweet potato until the weevils got to it. The only way to get rid of the weevils, apparently, is to keep the bed sweet potato-free for three years. Unfortunately, the sweet potatoes are not down with this plan, and every time I dig the bed I get more small bits of sweet potato root out. Hopefully the potatoes will not be susceptible to the weevil.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2017, 08:00:26 AM »
I put an orchid in the bathroom today, fingers crossed the cat doesn't eat it. I also re-potted a fern and some kind of pink and green leaf plant, so the inside of our house is feeling rather green.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #477 on: August 28, 2017, 03:34:25 PM »
Yesterday I decided to plant some shallots and strawberries. In the process I discovered that the onion seeds that I planted back in JUNE have FINALLY germinated and are peeping up above the earth. It has been a dry winter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:47:59 PM by deborah »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: August 28, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
Dry is right. I'm trying to get my garden looking fab for sale and have bought a sprinkler: imagine that a sprinkler in a rainforest. My veges are still yielding - broccoli is doing well, I have a few heads of lettuce, silver beet, shallots. The asparagus crown I removed to take with me is now producing, so I haven't killed it.  I'm planting some flowers and some shade plants  in some empty beds - hopefully this weekend.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: September 03, 2017, 11:06:53 PM »
Zucchini. What else can I do with zucchini after I've made bread, soup, taken them to work, grated them into every single thing I've cooked.

Next time someone remind me not to plant 4 fricking zucchini plants for two of us, when one of us (Husband) doesn't even like them.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #480 on: September 04, 2017, 01:44:43 AM »
Zucchini Balls - Kabak. You can even grate them and get rid of the moisture and freeze the result.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #481 on: September 04, 2017, 01:54:11 AM »
Already made zucchini chocolate cake?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »
Spiralize them into pasta?

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2017, 02:14:16 AM »
Spiralize them into pasta?

Done it.

Already made zucchini chocolate cake?

Yep. Chocolate cake, chocolate and beetroot cake, carrot cake. All of the above.

Zucchini Balls - Kabak. You can even grate them and get rid of the moisture and freeze the result.

Ooh, will have to google that one, thanks!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: September 04, 2017, 02:20:21 AM »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #485 on: September 04, 2017, 03:40:51 AM »
I am so jealous of your zucchini, Primm! Do you have a crop swap group. They are set up so you can swap excess for others' excess. Mine is Facebook based but I've heard of other horticultural meets.

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #486 on: September 16, 2017, 11:00:53 PM »
Finally planted something at the "new" rental (been here 6 months). Pretty happy with the $10 each on sale pots from IKEA. A bit more designer style gardening than my usual dig a hole in the ground approach. 

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: September 18, 2017, 01:45:18 AM »
Potatoes have sprouted! Now I'm hilling for dear life and wondering how high I have to go to get a good crop.

The elderflower that I planted last year when it was six inches high is now three feet high and producing flowers - I harvested my first home-grown elderflowers tonight and will make cordial!

The orange tree that my grandmother gave me shortly before she died is putting on a lot of new growth, but I'm contemplating taking off the flowers. There are a lot of flowers, and I'd really like the tree to get a bit bigger before it tries to bear more fruit.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #488 on: September 18, 2017, 01:56:49 AM »
The elderflower cordial sounds exciting, Spiffsome!

I have been diligently watering the hedging plants my landlords kindly planted in our courtyard to cover the ugly fence. It's SO nice to finally have appropriate plants in there! I may have snuck a jasmine vine in as well, to make the area smell nice...

I'm contemplating getting a few herbs to keep in pots and some veggies for the small vegetable plot we have. I will have to look up what's appropriate to plant now, because I've got no idea! Track record says I'll get enthusiastic and plant it and then forget about it ;)

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #489 on: September 21, 2017, 04:37:36 AM »
First lot of beans got planted today.

P.S. that's how big the backyard is, grey tiles, grass, then garage...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:39:18 AM by GT »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #490 on: September 21, 2017, 05:02:25 AM »
I want to give a big shout out to kale. We've largely ignored the garden for 6 months, everything else has died but the kale grows on.

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #491 on: September 21, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
I want to give a big shout out to kale. We've largely ignored the garden for 6 months, everything else has died but the kale grows on.

Was it just me or did anyone else think Triffids!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: September 21, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
First lot of beans got planted today.

P.S. that's how big the backyard is, grey tiles, grass, then garage...

Now I'm thinking about growing beans...

Was it just me or did anyone else think Triffids!

Freshie, is your kale making weird clicking noises and mysteriously shifting to new patches in the garden??

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #493 on: September 21, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
Asparagus: how large a pot do I need per crown/plant? Just big pots (40cm?) or should I go for a half barrel?

It'll possibly get transplanted to the garden beds later on. But right now I can't commit to a good permanent spot for it.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #494 on: September 22, 2017, 12:17:42 AM »
40cm pot will be fine.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2017, 11:28:05 PM »
Who else is gearing up for Sprummer and true Summer?

As well as a whole heap of flowers, I've started seeds for green beans, yellow beans, sugar snap peas, zucchini, cucumber and tomatoes. And basil! I've potted up a bay tree seedling, and planted out two types of asparagus (purple bastard and Mary Washington) and rhubarb. Not sure if the rhubarb will make it, it was looking pretty sad.

Lots of flowers on the lemon, lime and both mandarins. The lemon and lime are both bearing fruit now. No flowers on the grapefruit yet. The wurtz avocados are flowering, but too young and small to bear fruit. The super dwarf nectarine has set an astonishing number of fruit, which will need thinning. No sign of flowers on the apple trees so far (only a few years old). Strawberries are flowering and starting to develop tiny green fruit. Blueberries didn't do well after losing almost every blossom in a storm - I've had one blueberry so far, and might get another two or three at most.

Lavender bushes are growing well and smelling amazing. One rosemary bush is growing well; the other looks like it's struggling.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #496 on: September 26, 2017, 12:11:30 AM »
We're not really planting seeds this year because we're about to do new raised beds but won't get it done til the end of spring. I guess we could start some seedlings and hope we get our A's into G with the planter box building. It will be too hot soon for garden building.

We have our first passion fruit flowers! We planted five vines to become a sort of possum distraction from our veg; one died, one had to be dug up and hasn't found a new home yet. Of the three left, the one on a west facing fence is happiest and has about 7 flowers. They've been in for a couple of years but I don't know if these are our actual first flowers or if the possums just ate the buds before.

The possums seem to have moved out. I'm sure when our strawberries ripen and/or we get passion fruit they'll be back. We still have rats but I discovered that DH has been flinging citrus peel in the garden which they seem to LOVE, so maybe I can stop him doing that.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #497 on: September 26, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »
In honour of our upcoming sale, we've laid turf  and our garden is clean and tidy  and looks fab. Its still NOT raining...total rain in September so far is 0.5mm - we would often  get 100mm/month or more here. I now have 2 sprinklers, and the landscapers advice is that the new turf needs watering twice a day! So that is ruling my schedule. The lawn down the back yard is struggling, but its hard to water down there as well as the new turf.

I 've planted some plants, and have bought some more to pop in the bare patches.

I'm still disassembling my container vege garden. I'll be pulling apart the wicking beds and taking them with me.

Currently our spring flowering consists of bluebells, snowdrops, azaleas, camellias, clivias, grevilleas, hellebores, freesias and some little white daisies. Un fortunately most of them will have finished flowering when the house pictures are being taken in a couple of weeks.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #498 on: September 28, 2017, 02:57:49 AM »
Happy, our camellias flower in Autumn! My garden goal for this year is to grow a few lettuces and keep the indoor plants alive without too many midgies or whatever the tiny little black flies are.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: September 30, 2017, 03:13:54 AM »
Potted seed tubers for oca and Jerusalem artichokes today. Hoping for big crops of both.

It's been interesting to see how much the soil in my garden beds has improved, compared to two years ago when we moved in. I don't feel like I've done all that much to the soil, but I have mulched, added worms and worm wee+castings from my freestanding worm farm.