Author Topic: Audis - Love 'em? Hate 'em? Facepunchworthy?  (Read 4130 times)

TheYeti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Audis - Love 'em? Hate 'em? Facepunchworthy?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 02:45:05 PM »
I am an Engineer in the automotive industry and currently work for one of the companies mentioned in this thread. I have worked for other automotive companies not yet mentioned as well. With regard to vehicles the only more controversial topic you could have started is: GM vs. Ford vs. Dodge which one sucks more?

All of the vehicles (from a major manufacturer) that you would buy new today will have similar quality. Everyone has a story about how brand X broke down on them and cost a ton of money. The opposite side too. I had an X that went for 600k miles. This is the equivalent of saying: ‘My father abused me so all men are bad.’ There is the off chance that there will be some ignition switch or airbag issue but there is no way to know that today. In general, the higher the initial purchase price the more you will likely pay for service and repairs. Lexus cost more than Toyota so the dealer will charge you more for switching out the same exact part on the Lexus. It’s a branding thing.

Decide what you like based on your priorities and go with that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:15:39 PM by NCYeti »

dignam

• Pencil Stache
Re: Audis - Love 'em? Hate 'em? Facepunchworthy?
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2021, 01:47:10 PM »
I can't speak for Audis specifically, but OP, it sounds like you just want us to validate buying (or convince you not to buy) an Audi.  I will provide some caveats below, as I have owned vehicles of all different brands and types.  All purchased used except one.

In my life, I've had:

-4 Jeeps (1 XJ, 1 TJ, 2 Grand Cherokees);  The 4.0L remains one of my favorite engines of all time.  Beyond that, there were always little things breaking on Jeeps, but they never left me stranded.  Very easy to fix myself.
-1 Dodge (Dart); almost left me stranded but I was able to limp it to get repaired under warranty.  Decent car otherwise.
-1 Mazda; some minor electrical gremlins, but otherwise a solid car
-1 BMW; purchased CPO, had the 3.0L turbo which was just a rocket and a blast to drive.  I had *GASP* ZERO (0) issues in the 2.5 years I owned it.  Sold last year during the used car price craziness for almost what I paid for it.
-2 Fords (well, one was a Mercury). Currently drive an Edge which is probably my favorite vehicle I've owned.  It just feels solid, is stupidly quick (2.7L turbo), very versatile, and loaded and comfy.

My experience is not really what you hear about for some of those brands.  Point being, most modern cars are solid and will last a long time if maintained.  Just do some research, test cars out, and get what you want/what fits in your budget.