Author Topic: Are you surprised how well VTSAX held up?  (Read 6788 times)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Are you surprised how well VTSAX held up?
« on: June 10, 2017, 05:51:06 AM »
I went to bed thinking my Vanguard VTSAX was going to be down big because of the 1.8% Nasdaq drop. I checked this morning and VTSAX was only dowm 0.05%. Yippee!

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
Re: Are you surprised how well VTSAX held up?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
I was wondering what the effect of the Nasdaq drop was going to be also. Figured that the large/ expensive stocks (FANG) would have influenced the broad market funds more than they did, was mildly surprised that total market diversification worked as well as it did.

Just goes to show that I can't stock pick or time, so should just buy and hold everything.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »
You might be looking at your stocks too much if you know how they performed on any given day. :P

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
You might be looking at your stocks too much if you know how they performed on any given day. :P

Almost right, I'm looking at my stocks to much for you.
 I watch the market everyday, I also monitor a stock guru forum chat section.
Then in the evening I usually check VTSAX when it gets posted.
Kinda like a hobby :-)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »
There is academic work to suggest that the less you follow the stock market, the better your returns are. Boogle himself suggests that people should only look at their retirement accounts when they retire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qg959oYCxU).

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 09:00:13 AM »
VTSAX's exposure to FANG is on the order of 5%. AAPL represents 2.65%. 5% of 2.65% is 0.13%. Thus the beauty of owning the entire market.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »

This^^^ 

In addition, why is anyone looking at the NASDAQ? That doesn't represent the market. Of course it gives information that doesn't match VTSAX. NASDAQ isn't a very useful index. It was looked at a lot during the tech bubble. Can it just go to the index graveyard now, and can it take the DJIA with it?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »

This^^^ 

In addition, why is anyone looking at the NASDAQ? That doesn't represent the market. Of course it gives information that doesn't match VTSAX. NASDAQ isn't a very useful index. It was looked at a lot during the tech bubble. Can it just go to the index graveyard now, and can it take the DJIA with it?

I'll agree with you on the DJIA, and after yesterday, I've been shown how unlinked the Nasdaq is to my portfoilio. I just added VTI to my stock market tracker, it will give me much better insite into intra day movements of what the VTSAX is doing.
 I'll be sending you hourly updates on market developments :-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
BTDretire, you can watch your money moment by moment if you choose to, but it isn't really the Mustachian Way. Seems more Dickensian than Mustachian, in fact.

Although, I believe you're among the FIRE, so you get a pass, I suppose.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 04:44:40 AM »
BTDretire, you can watch your money moment by moment if you choose to, but it isn't really the Mustachian Way. Seems more Dickensian than Mustachian, in fact.

Although, I believe you're among the FIRE, so you get a pass, I suppose.
Ya, I suppose I'm breaking a Mustachian convention, but part of being a Mustachian is being
non-conventional. I enjoy watching the stock market and it is one of our talking points when I get together for coffee twice a week with the guys. I also log my NW roughly every 3 months.
 Yes, I am FIRE, though lately not doing well with the RE part. We have a small business and in summer we are busier, thus my wife needs help to keep things running smooth. Also as for RE,
not really by Mustachian standards, I retired at 61. But if not for MMM, I probably would have continued working to 66. I would love to get my wife to stop working, but it probably would not suit her personality and cultural upbringing. She's type A, I'd add a + to that. She's 59 and has a sister that is 73 and still working 6 days a week.
 Anyway, to each their own.
  I am going on a bike ride this morning with our local "No more Excuses" Vintage Bicycle Group, found it and a hiking group through 'Meetup', which is a great resource.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:59:26 AM by BTDretire »

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 05:59:10 AM »
The NASDAQ dropped yesterday?

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 07:21:22 AM »
I'm hoping the market drops a little bit just in time for my dividends to reinvest. Then it can go back up again.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 09:03:38 AM »
I'm hoping the market drops a little bit just in time for my dividends to reinvest. Then it can go back up again.

In Soviet Russia, market times you.

Highbeam

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »

Almost right, I'm looking at my stocks to much for you.
 I watch the market everyday, I also monitor a stock guru forum chat section.
Then in the evening I usually check VTSAX when it gets posted.
Kinda like a hobby :-)

Me too. You're not alone. Kinda like a hobby.