Author Topic: Are you still avoiding family due to Covid?  (Read 19513 times)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Are you still avoiding family due to Covid?
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2021, 12:11:19 PM »
I think traveling by car is quite reasonable as long as you're able to limit interactions with people outside your household.  We did this in the summer/early fall within New England when our numbers were low and did contactless check-in/out at hotels, outdoor dining and/or takeout.  Didn't violate any travel restrictions.

I think socializing with other vaccinated people (if you can find any) is also reasonable if you're limiting interactions with unvaccinated people/people outside your household.  I don't think I'd travel by plane, though.  Not yet.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2021, 01:37:38 PM »
serious question.  if you and your family already had covid and did not get sick/recovered, would you feel comfortable travelling?  I think at least some percentage of the 'frivolous' travel is that.

I know myself and some of my friends/family had it back in November, and feel like now is a good time to travel.

thoughts?

Our household has been in full work and school from home mode since last March. Trips canceled, only trips out of the house are for necessities or occasional hiking or other outdoor activities. Despite this, we got COVID around Christmas. My dad lives a couple states away (west, so think 10+ hours of driving) and had it last year. So, yes, we are planning to go visit and stay with them. As other more local relatives and friends get vaccinated, we will begin having get togethers. I also have a work trip coming up (plane travel) that I’m a lot less worried about than one I had to take last fall. I’ll take the same precautions now (N95, etc.) because I have the supplies, but my worry level is darn close to 0%.

I have been a big supporter and follower of the ‘rules’ during the pandemic. I believe that by working together, we can all do a little to make things better for everyone and especially to protect our most vulnerable. As people get vaccinated and as others recover from the actual illness, we need to find a way to live again. It will undoubtedly be different, but after the virus grew widespread, the whole lockdown was intended to be temporary to “flatten the curve”. As vaccinations and earned immunity become more widespread, we can flatten the curve without so many restrictions.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2021, 01:38:45 PM »
It's been 3 days since I've had my second dose of Moderna.   I still haven't even eaten out yet.  And I will still avoid family members outside of my household at this time due to COVID case levels in the area and lack of vaccinations among the family at this point.

Efficacy for the second dose to get to 90%+ is about 2 weeks, FYI.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2021, 01:44:45 PM »
It's been 3 days since I've had my second dose of Moderna.   I still haven't even eaten out yet.  And I will still avoid family members outside of my household at this time due to COVID case levels in the area and lack of vaccinations among the family at this point.

Efficacy for the second dose to get to 90%+ is about 2 weeks, FYI.

We just recorded a local nurse who had his second dose two weeks ago.  He was surprised to have tested Covid positive yesterday:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-covid-19-positive-after-vaccination-1.5884463

So be aware that you could well be fully vaccinated and OK while spreading covid around to others.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2021, 03:02:17 PM »
Only local family are my divorced parents. My husband and I lived with my mom until September last year, so we were very careful about only going essential places (grocery stores, etc.). Once we got our own place, we still visit in person (her place or ours) a few times per month. Generally maskless and indoors, but distanced. It's really the only socialization she gets, and she's ok with the risk. However, with the more-contagious strains, we're being more careful. Plus we've been attending some dog training classes (4 people per class, everyone masked, everyone separated by barriers to keep the dogs calm).

My dad and his partner are much more conservative. Until the fall spikes, he was fine being inside, distanced, masked. But, now it's only outside, masked for a very short time (with one visit in December inside, but masked and distanced). They both have their first vaccination, but they plan to continue being careful for some time even after their second.

As for masks, I usually have some issues with facial recognition and use other cues to recognize people (gait, hair, voice, etc.). I find that I rarely have much trouble recognizing somebody with a mask on because I don't usually depend on the lower half of the face (or the "whole" face) to begin with.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2021, 06:38:07 PM »
Only local family are my divorced parents. My husband and I lived with my mom until September last year, so we were very careful about only going essential places (grocery stores, etc.). Once we got our own place, we still visit in person (her place or ours) a few times per month. Generally maskless and indoors, but distanced. It's really the only socialization she gets, and she's ok with the risk. However, with the more-contagious strains, we're being more careful. Plus we've been attending some dog training classes (4 people per class, everyone masked, everyone separated by barriers to keep the dogs calm).

My dad and his partner are much more conservative. Until the fall spikes, he was fine being inside, distanced, masked. But, now it's only outside, masked for a very short time (with one visit in December inside, but masked and distanced). They both have their first vaccination, but they plan to continue being careful for some time even after their second.

As for masks, I usually have some issues with facial recognition and use other cues to recognize people (gait, hair, voice, etc.). I find that I rarely have much trouble recognizing somebody with a mask on because I don't usually depend on the lower half of the face (or the "whole" face) to begin with.

How is your dad's behavior conservative? That's the recommendation for avoiding contracting the virus. This is why people are made to feel bad, because they are taking recommended precautions and their families act like it's "conservative."

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2021, 01:41:23 AM »
Sorry, perhaps you can explain why it is a bad thing to be conservative (or considered to be such), especially compared to those who choose to put themselves and others at risk. His risk threshold is simply higher than my mom's and behaves accordingly.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2021, 02:10:14 AM »
Sorry, perhaps you can explain why it is a bad thing to be conservative (or considered to be such), especially compared to those who choose to put themselves and others at risk. His risk threshold is simply higher than my mom's and behaves accordingly.

It's not bad to be conservative. But to describe someone such in this situation, when they weren't observing certain covid protocols (no indoor gatherings with non household members) is a bizarre take. Just my opinion.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2021, 06:28:17 AM »
Ok, now I'm a little confused. First you said,
How is your dad's behavior conservative? That's the recommendation for avoiding contracting the virus. This is why people are made to feel bad, because they are taking recommended precautions and their families act like it's "conservative."

Then you said,
It's not bad to be conservative. But to describe someone such in this situation, when they weren't observing certain covid protocols (no indoor gatherings with non household members) is a bizarre take. Just my opinion.

So first you say people feel bad for being considered conservative for following basic recommended precautions--if it makes them feel bad, then it must be a bad thing.

Then you say it's bizarre to call somebody conservative when they are not following basic recommended precautions (which my dad most definitely is following, minus a single visit in December). So I'm still not sure I follow, since on the surface these to statements seem contradictory.

My point was simply that my dad and his partner have lower risk tolerance than my mom ("My dad and his partner are much more conservative."), so they are being more cautious. Which is why I have only seen him once for more than 30 seconds since prior to the start of the fall spike in my area. Which is the topic of this post.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2021, 06:37:50 AM »
I read @charis post as if they were saying that calling recommended behavior “conservative” is the issue. The doorknob lickers in our society think taking recommended precautions is ridiculous and excessive.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2021, 08:09:57 AM »
I read @charis post as if they were saying that calling recommended behavior “conservative” is the issue. The doorknob lickers in our society think taking recommended precautions is ridiculous and excessive.

Yes. That was my point about you referring to following standard virus recommendations (or less) as a conservative practice.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »
And I still don't understand what's wrong with calling it conservative? Conservative is literally a synonym for cautious. When one is risk averse, one exercises caution--in this case, following recommended precautions.

Anyway didn't mean to derail. Probably my last post on this thread unless I have something new and substantive to add.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:34:23 PM by Inaya »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2021, 07:00:57 PM »
One set of our elderly parents called up and want to drive up and visit soon INSIDE. ?!?!?! None of us or them are vaccinated and DW and I are in public facing roles at work. Nope!

We'll see them in a couple of months. Trump supporters so you can guess the rest of their behavior during this pandemic.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2021, 10:09:49 PM »
One set of our elderly parents called up and want to drive up and visit soon INSIDE. ?!?!?! None of us or them are vaccinated and DW and I are in public facing roles at work. Nope!

We'll see them in a couple of months. Trump supporters so you can guess the rest of their behavior during this pandemic.

Ours constantly want to visit inside. Not even Trump supporters. Just don't understand how it's spread, apparently.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2021, 02:33:18 AM »
And I still don't understand what's wrong with calling it conservative? Conservative is literally a synonym for cautious. When one is risk averse, one exercises caution--in this case, following recommended precautions.

Anyway didn't mean to derail. Probably my last post on this thread unless I have something new and substantive to add.

I think they are thinking conservative in the political sense and you are using it in the behavioral sense (I.e. careful) which is the less commonly used meaning in the US (but not bizarre-esp. among people who learned English in a Commonwealth country). Also here basic hygiene has become a huge political issue, thus that meaning is automatically assumed.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2021, 03:05:49 AM »

I think they are thinking conservative in the political sense and you are using it in the behavioral sense (I.e. careful) which is the less commonly used meaning in the US (but not bizarre-esp. among people who learned English in a Commonwealth country). Also here basic hygiene has become a huge political issue, thus that meaning is automatically assumed.

This is probably it. "Conservative" has turned into such an ugly word in the States.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2021, 03:10:45 AM »

Ours constantly want to visit inside. Not even Trump supporters. Just don't understand how it's spread, apparently.

My family members as well. They keep saying "well we don't have Covid, so why not?" . I know they would never meet up with anyone if they knew they were infected, but the whole idea of a- and pre-symptomatic spreading is just something I can't seem to make them understand.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2021, 07:34:04 AM »

This is probably it. "Conservative" has turned into such an ugly word in the States.
Hey, two if my favorite forum peeps! @Abe, I've been wondering how you're doing. + Oh my, @Adventine, a new avatar!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: February 01, 2021, 07:54:15 AM »
@Dicey hi, my favorite Senior Mustachian!

I'm still avoiding family due to COVID, but had a lovely 3 hour call with my grandparents in Australia. We were supposed to visit them in April 2020, and then the borders closed. They were supposed to visit us in August 2020, but the borders STAYED closed...

So no visits until we're all vaccinated. But we had a great time on video chat, and found out all sorts of juicy family gossip that we otherwise would never have found out.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2021, 07:58:01 AM »

What? This is super off base. I was connecting it to it's actual basic meaning, not anything political - you are the one who did that.  This forum is getting really tiresome.

Calling someone "much more conservative" because they are following the minimum health guidelines during a pandemic is baffling to me.  That applies to someone going beyond the minimum safety recommendations in my opinion. I understand that it was used as a comparison.  Agree or disagree, fine, but try not to read politics into every use of the word conservative.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 08:02:04 AM by charis »

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2021, 08:24:21 AM »
@charis

COVID has become such a highly charged political issue in the States that any COVID-related thread is going to touch on politics at some point.

I do agree with you that it is tiresome to talk constantly about politics but I do hope you can see that the opinion from @Abe that I seconded is about the different uses of the word "conservative." What it means and how it comes across to different people.

But heck, now I'm tired of talking about this. Let's go back to the original topic.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2021, 08:28:24 AM »

Yes, in this case conservative aka Trump voters aka this pandemic isn't nearly as bad as the media makes it out to be aka what do you mean 450K people have died from COVID in the USA? Ugh!

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2021, 08:43:12 AM »
@charis

COVID has become such a highly charged political issue in the States that any COVID-related thread is going to touch on politics at some point.

I do agree with you that it is tiresome to talk constantly about politics but I do hope you can see that the opinion from @Abe that I seconded is about the different uses of the word "conservative." What it means and how it comes across to different people.

But heck, now I'm tired of talking about this. Let's go back to the original topic.

Right, but I'm the poster who was pointedly accused of using the term politically, which is untrue.  This was even specifically addressed earlier in the thread, so you can imagine my surprise to read the follow up comments.

Yes. That was my point about you referring to following standard virus recommendations (or less) as a conservative practice.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2021, 08:52:30 AM »
Who was accusing you? Abe, by saying something as mild as "I think they are thinking..."? I don't think that's what they meant, and I certainly did not mean to accuse you. For my part, I apologize as my offhand comment seems to have offended you.

Can we all agree to think kindly of each other and to start from the baseline that all these discussions are attempts to understand other people's points of view? And can we go back to the original topic?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2021, 09:10:24 AM »
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. I did not mean to aggravate anyone - if I did. Just used simple broad brush descriptors to describe my family. Their beliefs are XYZ which makes it easy to see how they react to a topic like COVID.

Wish they had more hobbies than did not include the latest rumors... Wish they were more discerning about their information sources.

I wish our gov't took COVID more seriously from the start. Perhaps we'd be in a better spot in Feb 2021 than we are. Where did January go?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2021, 09:11:58 AM »
Who was accusing you? Abe, by saying something as mild as "I think they are thinking..."? I don't think that's what they meant, and I certainly did not mean to accuse you. For my part, I apologize as my offhand comment seems to have offended you.

Can we all agree to think kindly of each other and to start from the baseline that all these discussions are attempts to understand other people's points of view? And can we go back to the original topic?

I guess I am offended that I can't use the word conservative anymore without this happening, even after clarifying my point in a post that no one bothered to read.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
Again, I apologize as it was not my intention to provoke you, over something that I said in passing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2021, 11:01:48 AM »
What baffles me is why you believe no one bothered to read your post, @charis? You've received clarifications and very polite apologies. Why is that insufficient?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
What baffles me is why you believe no one bothered to read your post, @charis? You've received clarifications and very polite apologies. Why is that insufficient?

I didn't say the apology was insufficient - I appreciate it!  Why/how are you baffled?  I noted earlier that my point was behavioral (ie not political).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2021, 06:04:31 PM »

I didn't say the apology was insufficient - I appreciate it!  Why/how are you baffled?  I noted earlier that my point was behavioral (ie not political).
Um, because these words... "even after clarifying my point in a post that no one bothered to read" are in fact, quite baffling. How do you know that no one bothered to read them?

Back on topic: I just found out today that my brother and his teenage son have both been diagnosed with Covid. Ugh.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2021, 06:26:40 PM »

Um, because these words... "even after clarifying my point in a post that no one bothered to read" are in fact, quite baffling. How do you know that no one bothered to read them?

Back on topic: I just found out today that my brother and his teenage son have both been diagnosed with Covid. Ugh.

Sorry for what your family is going through.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:28:28 PM by charis »

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2021, 08:42:27 PM »
@Dicey sorry they’re going through that, hope they recover soon! My son’s daycare has shut down several times and it’s been a bit nuts. We were 90% sure he had covid a few weeks ago as his best friend did, but luckily avoided it. Cases are coming down here finally, but no plans to visit any family in person until the pandemic ends. We just FaceTime and it’s good enough. I realized today that I have never seen either of my nephews in person.

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #232 on: February 06, 2021, 06:56:57 AM »
My wife and I live in the Midwest.  My sister, brother in law and niece (6) / nephew (9) live two hours away.  My Mom and Dad winter in Florida. Every March, we all gather at my parents 3 bedroom home in Florida.  Last year, we cancelled at the last minute due to Covid.  This year, all 6 adults will have received their second Covid vaccine dose by the first week of March. We only saw everyone for outdoor socially distanced gatherings last summer.

It seems to me with everyone vaccinated, perhaps this years trip can happen.  A lot of the time, we will just be outside at the pool, kayaking in the canal, or playing golf.  But there will also be time we are inside, and social distancing difficult / not likely. We will be avoiding public places outside of the airport, grocery store, and maybe going to the beach for 1/2 day (should be able to stay socially distanced outdoors).  My Mom will be crushed if this trip doesn’t happen, especially with it cancelled last year.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2021, 09:40:11 AM »
With everyone vaccinated, you should definitely do your trip. There is zero risk at that point.

-W

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2021, 08:58:50 AM »
We one set of our parents came to visit yesterday. None of us have or have had any symptoms. We didn't feel good about it but for them I think it was part COVID denial and help for their mental health. Good to see them but... Apparently we are more determined to stay careful than they are.

We live in a red state so we're at work everyday - masked and distanced as much as possible - so our risk to ourselves and to our elders is not zero. No shots for any of us yet.

On a side note I ran around town to the grocery Friday night. Picked up pizza to go. The restaurants were PACKED. Looked like the parking lots were full so they weren't even running with reduced capacity dining rooms.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2021, 11:01:29 PM »
With everyone vaccinated, you should definitely do your trip. There is zero risk at that point.

-W

That remains to be seen.    Early reports are not that promising.

x02947

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #236 on: February 08, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
This is not the first time something like this has happened. 

Mom and her mother live in town.  Family and I have been visiting them grandmother on the porch when weather allows it, but that's been sparse as of late.  A few weeks ago Mom called and basically berated me for not letting grandmother see the kids more, with all the stereotypical "we're family, we would never hurt anyone, we take precautions (no they don't), etc." stuff.  So I said fine, we'll go see her that weekend for 10 minutes tops, and everyone is masked the whole time.  (this was 2 weeks ago). 

Turns out Mom's sister was also there, and didn't have a mask at all (didn't even bring one!).  Weather was freezing, so grandmother stayed inside and complained about being cold (can't blame her) whenever we opened the door.  After 2 minutes of them basically causing our little kids much anguish by telling them to come in close for hugs and whatnot, DW and kids went outside to play in the yard.  I made awkward small talk for 3-4 more minutes, grabbed the cookies and left. 

Afterwards Mom called me and told me how embarrassed she was that her sister commented on "how cold we were to everyone."  I said "that's your sister's fault for not knowing what basic precautions look like," and things went downhill from there.

Can't wait for the "even though your vaccinated we still have to social distance" argument we're going to have. 

Basically, I'm surrounded by extended family who says "yes, we're taking precautions!" and in the same breath tell me how wonderful it was to have dinner with out-of-state friends who are traveling to Florida for a few weeks. 

Sorry, but I just needed to vent about this. 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #237 on: February 08, 2021, 08:14:59 AM »

-W

"all five of the vaccines — from Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson — look extremely good. Of the roughly 75,000 people who have received one of the five in a research trial, not a single person has died from Covid, and only a few people appear to have been hospitalized. None have remained hospitalized 28 days after receiving a shot."

Not that promising? That's hilarious. How on earth would you come to that conclusion?

-W
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:17:26 AM by waltworks »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: February 08, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »

-W

"all five of the vaccines — from Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson — look extremely good. Of the roughly 75,000 people who have received one of the five in a research trial, not a single person has died from Covid, and only a few people appear to have been hospitalized. None have remained hospitalized 28 days after receiving a shot."

Not that promising? That's hilarious. How on earth would you come to that conclusion?

-W

You said, "There is zero risk at that point."  I would state that is inaccurate.  Vaccines aren't 100% effective.  The kids aren't vaccinated.  There is always some risk, so to say that it's not that promising is accurate.  That said, with all the adults vaccinated, the risk is drastically reduced.  And if a group of people can't get together after being vaccinated, then when can we?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #239 on: February 08, 2021, 09:10:24 AM »

-W

-W

You said, "There is zero risk at that point."  I would state that is inaccurate.  Vaccines aren't 100% effective.  The kids aren't vaccinated.  There is always some risk, so to say that it's not that promising is accurate.  That said, with all the adults vaccinated, the risk is drastically reduced.  And if a group of people can't get together after being vaccinated, then when can we?

And "being vaccinated" and "safe" means at least 2 weeks after the second vaccination.  Will they recognize that?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2021, 09:57:24 AM »

-W

-W

Maybe not zero risk, but pretty close. And waltworks was responding to claim that early reports aren't promising, which is hardly the case.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2021, 10:08:47 AM »
You are going to have to explain your "Early reports are not that promising" statement.

Early reports are *amazing*. You could not ask for better results than these.

The vaccines, so far, in trials, have all 100% prevented death and almost completely eliminated serious illness as well. You are literally at higher risk of being killed by a shark while swimming than dying of Covid once you're vaccinated, based on what we know right now.

-W

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #242 on: February 08, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »
what about the early reports of AstraZeneca being essentially ineffective at the South African variant of the virus in young people?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/new-variant-in-south-africa-renders-astrazeneca-vaccine-ineffective-in-young-people

i'm also less worried about contracting the virus myself, but of being a vector for its spread. According to our CDC briefing it's still largely unknown whether this can occur with Covid-19.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
I'm currently avoiding an uncle (who I didn't want to see anyway) and a cousin (who I wouldn't mind getting a drink with under normal circumstances) because he just flew back into the country.  I know that, in theory, he and everyone else at the airport should have had a negative test in the previous 72 hours, but I'm supposed to get my second dose of the vaccine at work next week and I'm not jeopardizing that chance because if I don't get it then I'm on my own for getting it.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: February 08, 2021, 12:01:18 PM »
what about the early reports of AstraZeneca being essentially ineffective at the South African variant of the virus in young people?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/new-variant-in-south-africa-renders-astrazeneca-vaccine-ineffective-in-young-people

i'm also less worried about contracting the virus myself, but of being a vector for its spread. According to our CDC briefing it's still largely unknown whether this can occur with Covid-19.

That is a study of whether or not the super-cheap option we have ready (which Africa needs because it's so poor... but also kinda doesn't need, because it's so young) prevents mild to moderate illness in young people. Which is really not what anyone's interested in anyway. If you read further, you'll see the UK health minister and others saying they still think it's broadly effective at preventing severe illness and death.

-W

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #245 on: February 08, 2021, 01:17:11 PM »
Basically, I'm surrounded by extended family who says "yes, we're taking precautions!" and in the same breath tell me how wonderful it was to have dinner with out-of-state friends who are traveling to Florida for a few weeks. 

Sorry, but I just needed to vent about this.

Vent away! This is the place to do it.

Our visit revealed our relatives have been doing far more running around and socializing that we thought. They are a bigger risk to us than we are to them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 01:25:16 PM by Just Joe »

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2021, 04:40:48 PM »
I'm avoiding family.  It's distressing to my parents, but I couldn't live with myself if they got covid and I was the last one to visit. 

I've seen a spectrum of responses - from huddling indoors getting and wiping down their delivered groceries, to those going out for a walk and grocery shopping but not much else, to going out for dinner and hosting big children's birthday parties at home. 

I'm disappointed at some who should know better, but are out at parties because YOLO.  Or out there because MAGA.  And maybe worst, out there because they see this as a problem for individuals, not as a collective action problem.  :(

goldensam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2021, 04:48:04 PM »

Afterwards Mom called me and told me how embarrassed she was that her sister commented on "how cold we were to everyone."  I said "that's your sister's fault for not knowing what basic precautions look like," and things went downhill from there.

Can't wait for the "even though your vaccinated we still have to social distance" argument we're going to have. 

With the exception of one of my sisters, my entire extended family has been living their life like nothing has changed since March because they believe it's nothing more than a cold or flu, and some even think it's a political hoax (yes, still.) I had to make a quick trip back home this summer for a family emergency and the screaming match between my mother and me about wearing masks confirmed for me that I will not be able to see them again for a very long time, certainly not until we are all vaccinated and it is safe to travel. That said, with the exception of my sister, none of them plan on getting the vaccine because some believe they don't  need it because of the aforementioned reasons, and others believe that they will be microchipped and given the mark of the beast from the Book of Revelations in the bible, and there really isn't much reasoning I can do with that. My favorite part is the family members ranting on social media about the vaccine containing a chip to track their every move, from a smart phone that they voluntarily carry, that literally tracks their every move. I just can't.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2021, 04:53:36 PM »
That said, with the exception of my sister, none of them plan on getting the vaccine because some believe they don't  need it because of the aforementioned reasons, and others believe that they will be microchipped and given the mark of the beast from the Book of Revelations in the bible, and there really isn't much reasoning I can do with that. My favorite part is the family members ranting on social media about the vaccine containing a chip to track their every move, from a smart phone that they voluntarily carry, that literally tracks their every move. I just can't.

I feel your pain.  Some might think this Book of Revelations and microchip thing is a joke.  But there are true believers.  Unfortunately.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »
That said, with the exception of my sister, none of them plan on getting the vaccine because some believe they don't  need it because of the aforementioned reasons, and others believe that they will be microchipped and given the mark of the beast from the Book of Revelations in the bible, and there really isn't much reasoning I can do with that. My favorite part is the family members ranting on social media about the vaccine containing a chip to track their every move, from a smart phone that they voluntarily carry, that literally tracks their every move. I just can't.

I feel your pain.  Some might think this Book of Revelations and microchip thing is a joke.  But there are true believers.  Unfortunately.

Science: microchips to ID dogs and cats are under the skin* and relatively large.  The needle for the vaccines is super thin and goes into muscle.  Is there any way you can point that out to them and be believed?  The two are not compatible.

*This works because the microchip is under the skin where the skin is super loose behind the neck (the scruff).  I can't think of any place to easily microchip a human if we wanted to, our skin is snug all over.  Implant in the abdominal cavity?  Then there would probably be adhesions, which are painful.