Poll

Would you identify yourself as an introvert, extrovert, or an I/E (somewhere in between)?

Introvert
392 (79.2%)
Extrovert
38 (7.7%)
I/E
65 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 476

Author Topic: Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?  (Read 22498 times)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2017, 11:58:08 AM »
When I do attend social engagements, I often find the person that likes to talk the most and ask them a question about themselves. It's like winding up a cheap plastic toy, they'll keep talking and talking and you just stare and nod your head and keep saying, "uh huh, ok, sure, yeah, really?, wow" and when they're done talking, you wind them up again by asking another question. It's really fascinating in some situations because if you just ask questions and listen, many people will tell you some stuff you probably shouldn't know. They feel you're trust worthy because you're not a big talker and you sound interested in their lives. Introverts socialize and have fun in their own way.

My problem is that I really don't care to know anything about most of the people I meet. So when someone like that starts going on and on about themselves or some aspect of their lives, I just zone out, and it's very hard to hide the fact that I'm zoning out.

Very often for me, these types of social interactions go the other way, such that I'm just kind of standing there, and the other person feels compelled to ask me a question.  To which I will usually give a matter-of-fact, two or three sentence answer, and then just stand there again.  Which makes them uncomfortable, so they ask another question, and so on...help! Somebody please get me out of here!

It depends on what they are going on about. If I'm learning something useful to me then talk on! If they are telling me every last detail about their favorite evening soap is progressing on TV then maybe I'll run to the restroom to call my wife and call her to schedule a phone call in ~7 mins that requires me to report home. ;)

I once dated a young lady who told me all about her family every date. Everyone's names, what they did for a living, where they lived, what their favorite things and activities were, etc. etc. Nice girl but we were not meant for each other.
This is a pretty common theme among introverts. It's not that we can't be energized or entertained by a particular conversation; it's just that, unlike for extroverts, the mere fact of conversing with another person isn't enough to do it for us. For extroverts, just looking at a smiling face is enough to set off a dopamine response, whereas that's generally not the case for introverts. For us there needs to be some other rewarding element, be it humor or an interesting topic, to make the conversation worth our time and effort.

mbolton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2017, 06:40:29 AM »
Introvert.  Live on a couple of acres.  Don't like the feeling of people crowding me.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2017, 07:43:09 AM »
I'm in between, and go through phases of feeling a bit like one than the other.

mike stanton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »
of course introvert. hehe!

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2017, 08:30:59 AM »
I'm an extrovert, I've been talking to less people due to how busy work currently is.

But when given a choice I love to hang out with people, even one's I don't know and I've arranged get together's with friends before.

I plan on arranging a meetup for Mustachians in Scarbrough and Toronto as well, where we meet up in a park of some sort, talk and then bike together.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »
Introvert. I get worn out from social interaction, mostly though with semi forced situations like hanging out with work ‘friends’.  I am less worn out by hanging with true friends, whom i trust.  Otherwise i am on my guard.

Sometimes i think some extroverts think they’re introverts because its cool, or because they like to stay at home on occasion to netflix chill, or appreciate quite on a occasion. 
I think it more has to do with your natural inclination towards social situations and whether in general they drain or energize you. 

So thru and thru im an introvert, but then again, if i only hung out wiith my true friends all of the time, then maybe id at least be 50/50.

Skyward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2017, 09:16:14 PM »
In high school a teacher once use me and another kid as examples of the two while trying to explain the differences. Of course I was the example of an introvert and the extrovert was a guy I couldn't stand. Although the few close friends I've had throughout life have been extroverts.

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »
I'm in between, and go through phases of feeling a bit like one than the other.

This, for me, too. Even when I took the Meyers-Briggs test way back in college, I landed firmly in the middle. Even as I loved being on the stage in theatrical performances growing up, and still like being the center of attention at times, I am content with no one paying mind to me and my business. Yet, the stage still calls for me, and I will return to it.

Many will point out that the stage is hardly social interaction usually akin to extroverts. Yet, many introverts would be wary of public speaking or performances.

I also think small-talk and banter are meaningless and inefficient ways to become friends. I like to do things with people, go places, if I have to be with people at all.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2017, 01:59:51 AM »
So lets all guess what I am:

I live on a 25 acre hobby farm 40 kms from the nearest town, close to the beach.

I am a high school maths teacher, but was an engineer.

I am currently on long service leave and don't want to go back to town to work.

Yes!  I'm an introvert!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
Introvert. I get worn out from social interaction, mostly though with semi forced situations like hanging out with work ‘friends’.  I am less worn out by hanging with true friends, whom i trust.  Otherwise i am on my guard.

That.

Hijinks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »
Until about five years ago, I would have said introvert without batting an eye. But I was always an introvert that could fake extroversion well. I thought I was always just playing that part because society seems to prefer extroverts. Now I think my formerly introverted tendencies may have been a result of my upbringing rather a reflection of my true personality. I think I am actually pretty solidly in the middle. I no longer have to fake it at social gatherings - I genuinely enjoy them and often draw energy from them. But I also love spending time alone - reading, walking, organizing - and I draw energy from that too. So, yeah, Goldilocks over here!

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 01:55:20 AM »
On the other hand I feel like introverts might be more inclined to be willing to spend money to avoid social interaction. 
I tend to think the opposite.

extreme but true example: As an introvert, I'd rather walk than take a taxi, just so that I can avoid having to talk to the driver. In general me being an introvert has saved me money. I have also avoided lots of expensive social events (bars, etc...), not for the money, but just because I preferred to stay alone.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
My job is perfect for me.  75% of my shifts pretty much only require me to talk to a couple coworkers at the beginning and end of my shift, for five minutes, max.  I can spend the rest of the 12 hours all to myself if I want (and I pretty much do, although a friend now has more shifts with me, so I'll probably socialize with him a little more).  The other 25% of my shifts are when other crews are working, but I still don't have to talk to many people if I don't want to, and can usually "hide out" until I am needed.

I don't have to answer a phone and I can think of only a few times I've had to talk on the phone in the 2+ years I've been here.

I love it.  I know a few people who would go crazy not having someone to talk to during all that time.  I'm also single so don't have a bf/spouse to talk to when I'm not working, rarely talk on the phone, and my one real social outlet is a quilting group I go to whenever I can make it (where I don't talk much, but listen and laugh, because the group is full of entertaining people).  I always feel like I need a nap after quilt group though.

I see nothing wrong with living the life of a hermit either.

I definitely fall into the "introvert" side, without a doubt.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
I am an introvert. Most of my working career I worked with people but never in a customer service oriented field. I lost my job of 18 years and had a lot of trouble finding a job. I finally took a temp job and that led to this other job in a hospital. That job required checking in people for one day surgery. I was so outside my comfort zone and I despised working with PEOPLE!. It was a whole different atmosphere having to cater to the patient, and they would bring a handful of relatives. Every day seemed like I worked at a ticket booth at Disney World. So many people! After about a year I finally found a job in my field of work in R&D. That job only lasted 4 years till I was laid off. After that I applied for an office job but was offered a customer service position. I said NO! No way I was ever going to work with people again!

Anyone ever consider becoming a semi hermit? Since I don't work anymore there are weeks at a time where I don't go out. I could even go out less if I worked at it. Mostly I have to grocery shop for fresh and frozen veggies and other fresh stuff. But we have a service called Peapod that delivers groceries. There are many delivery services around here, even booze delivery! I order stuff on line all the time and buy some food from Costco too. LOL! If it were not for doctor appointments, I could probably hermitize. Anyone else tried hermitization? If so, how long did you herm at home?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2018, 08:30:26 AM »
Introvert with hermit tendencies if I’m not careful. I work full-time from home and am self-employed. It’s really nice not to have all my social energy drained by work or school, as it means that I can choose to socialize on my own terms. For me, that means community things like volunteer work and choir singing, where I’ve made some good friends. I try to leave our property on most days, even if it’s just for a walk around the neighborhood (this is more difficult in winter).

Husband is more extroverted but works in a front-of-house retail setting, so he gets plenty of interaction. We’ve reached a pretty good balance.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
I would say extrovert but with a strong need to be alone or have quiet time with people. My northern Swedish culture values both social interaction and introvertedness in a way that is very hard to describe to outsiders. Keeping relationships, visiting and such is very important but being very outspoken, loud or talkative is not. I am a bit too talkative and energetic for this culture but I am really not the type that cannot tire from social interaction at least if I find the particular activity boring but talking to and being with friends is an important part of keeping me sane. So is reading a book and getting to be like I am right now, at home with just my little son and with no TV or music on so I can let my brain rest.

My husband who is not from the north is a true introvert and is quite often sick of being around his own family even and has to go on a car ride when we are too much for him. My family who is loud and talkative and about a million more people than his drains him to the point of him falling asleep from all the noise. When I am with my family I often have intense social interactions with them and I am often very happy and then when I go home I am depressed because I don't see them often enough but I also know that they would bug the life out me had we lived within easy visiting distance from them. I love them but they are also too much, too loud and too many when I am closer to them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »
I have not worked since 2011 and the Hub retired in 2015. There were many days when I wouldn't turn on the tv or music all day long. I like my quiet. However, now that he is retired he is a tv lover and I am a computer lover. I have to listen to the tv when it's on and would rather not. When he goes out to do errands or lawn work I turn it off for some peace and quiet.

When I worked I liked being around certain extroverts because it brought out a side of me that wouldn't normally come out. I think introverts and extroverts compliment each other at times. Like salt and pepper.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
My Hub is an introvert too. Sometimes we tend to be too hermitized and tend to not find exhilarating things to do due to our introverted natures.

Some introverts are hard to work with too. I consider myself an introvert and I had a male boss, who in my opinion, hated being a boss. He was brilliant and kind but we hardly ever saw him and when I had to have a one on one with him it was totally uncomfortable. The reason being is that I never felt a connection because he was always in his office or in meetings. He would make the rounds now and then but barely spoke a word. When he spoke he was soft spoken and it was hard to understand him and I always felt uncomfortable questioning him! LOL! I always said he would have been happy to have his office door nailed shut and a ladder out the window to come and go so he didn't have to be around people! LOL! Too bad because he was really nice and it would have been great to have gotten to know him better.

whywork

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
I'm an introvert too; Just checked the poll and holy shit, the poll is 79% introvert haha. It seems not being comfortable with social interactions at work is a big stress point that wants us to RE.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »
Howdy internet strangers! Great to meet you,  beautiful night isn't it. oh, it's not night where you are? Tell me about it... Oh yea I went there once it was beautiful, do you know my cousin nowhereville?

100% extravert here! I used to be exhausted at the end of a work week and say I just wanted to be home and realax and not going anywhere.... the longest I ever made it was 2pm by which point I could no longer be pent up and had to get out and do something and find people.

I have not worked since 2011 and the Hub retired in 2015. There were many days when I wouldn't turn on the tv or music all day long. I like my quiet. However, now that he is retired he is a tv lover and I am a computer lover. I have to listen to the tv when it's on and would rather not. When he goes out to do errands or lawn work I turn it off for some peace and quiet.
I may be extroverted but I do like quiet. My work listens to xm radio constantly and every once in a while I work with the one other person who doesn't like radio and we get blissful silence. Well, ok we talk to each other but no darned background music!

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
Strong introvert here. Not shy, no problem "working" a room and making small talk, just find loud and stimulative social situations draining.

I would say extrovert but with a strong need to be alone or have quiet time with people. My northern Swedish culture values both social interaction and introvertedness in a way that is very hard to describe to outsiders. Keeping relationships, visiting and such is very important but being very outspoken, loud or talkative is not. I am a bit too talkative and energetic for this culture but I am really not the type that cannot tire from social interaction at least if I find the particular activity boring but talking to and being with friends is an important part of keeping me sane. So is reading a book and getting to be like I am right now, at home with just my little son and with no TV or music on so I can let my brain rest.

I picked up on this while on assignment in Germany, and I LOVED it. This experience, plus books such as Quiet by Susan Cain, helped me to stop obsessing about trying to "fit-in" in an overly extroverted US culture. My entire life I was taught repeatedly (home, school, work, church) that I should be more extroverted, so it's been healing to accept my introversion for what it is and experience a culture where it's valued. We are now intentionally counteracting this bias with one of our daughters who is very clearly introverted.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »
I am mostly an introvert with extrovert qualities.  I am not great at small talk, but I have my moments.  As I have gotten older, I avoid parties and get togethers as much as possible. I know I should be attending but I just don't have it in me. 

emduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2018, 11:48:48 AM »
I'd say I'm very introverted in terms of normal proclivities/preferences.

But I'm also sufficiently good with people that I've stopped telling anyone I'm an introvert because they try to argue with me that I'm not.  : /

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
I've always thought of myself as an extrovert, but as I get older, my tolerance for bullshit is getting lower and lower, and there's alot of bullshit out there.  Quite frankly, the list of people I want to spent time with is getting smaller.  I find the general public to be very self absorbed and clueless.  When I get to spend time with people who are engaged and caring, it engerizes me.  When I first started working from home 5 years ago, I struggled with missing the constant interactions, now I've come to appreciate the quiet.

I guess I'm a selective extrovert. 

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16:11 PM »
I'd say I'm very introverted in terms of normal proclivities/preferences.

But I'm also sufficiently good with people that I've stopped telling anyone I'm an introvert because they try to argue with me that I'm not.  : /

When I tell long time friends that I'm shy, they tell me that I'm not, but when they first met me I didn't talk much...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »
I've always thought of myself as an extrovert, but as I get older, my tolerance for bullshit is getting lower and lower, and there's alot of bullshit out there.  Quite frankly, the list of people I want to spent time with is getting smaller.  I find the general public to be very self absorbed and clueless.  When I get to spend time with people who are engaged and caring, it engerizes me.  When I first started working from home 5 years ago, I struggled with missing the constant interactions, now I've come to appreciate the quiet.

I guess I'm a selective extrovert.

As far as:  "I find the general public to be very self absorbed and clueless." I have to say this is so true. I am a people watcher at times and I am from an older generation but find it amusing and sad that everyone is hunkered over their cell phones everywhere. There is a one way street in my town and it never fails someone crosses the street without even looking to see if there is a car coming their way. They just step out in the street with their nose in the phone! I go to the deli and someone with a cell phone will tell the person cutting their meat to wait a minute while they answer their phone! OMG! Really! People are walking downtown and are zombified by their phones! I get killed almost every time I drive somewhere with people on the cells talking/texting and crossing the center line.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
My husband and I are both introverts, and I was wondering if there was any correlation between Mustachianism and whether you identify as an introvert or an extrovert.  It seems like being an extroverted Mustachian might be a little harder than being an introverted one, but maybe that's not true...

If you aren't sure, here's a really short 12-question quiz that can give you an idea for which one you are:
http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/quiet-quiz-are-you-an-introvert/

I like to  be  alone and I like to be with friends.

I tell them I'm a hybrid.

So I suppose I'm I/E.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »

I think it more has to do with your natural inclination towards social situations and whether in general they drain or energize you. 

I figure I'm a hybrid, an I/E.

The way I/E works for me is that in my home-alone introvert phase I get "charged up" and then my "charge" is depleted in social situations (extrovert phase).

Then  I go home and "recharge" for the next extrovert phase.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »
Strong introvert here. Not shy, no problem "working" a room and making small talk, just find loud and stimulative social situations draining.

When I work a room full of people I've not met before I float around and I like to give 2 or 3 of them my undivided attention for about  5 minutes and then move on to the next cluster.

Almost without exception, I always learn something from them that interests me.

I enjoy this  learning-something-new  aspect of my "extrovert phase".

zing12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2018, 11:43:55 AM »

Exactly, I am very social but usually after a 2-3 hours I want to go home. It's typically an instantaneous feeling that comes on where all of a sudden, I'm just done. From there I'll start to withdraw from the conversation and eventually say goodbye.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
Extrovert here.  It's weird to me that on a message board ie. a place specifically designed to socialize with others- there are so many self avowed introverts.  My husband is an introvert and he would not be caught dead on a message board and hardly uses Facebook r the internet at all.  His favorite activities are reading and watching football.  I like to hang around on message boards on the internet and hang out with my friends and family.  I also like reading but not the extent he does.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2018, 02:08:57 PM »
Extrovert here.

It's weird to me that on a message board ie. a place specifically designed to socialize with others- there are so many self avowed introverts.

I've thought about this seeming paradox.

My conclusion is that since the interaction is via keyboard and not physically personal, the introverts are not as reticent as  they would be in an in-the-flesh interaction; thus, they emerge from their cocoon.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:14:02 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »
Extrovert here.

It's weird to me that on a message board ie. a place specifically designed to socialize with others- there are so many self avowed introverts.

I've thought about this seeming paradox.

My conclusion is that since the interaction is via keyboard and not physically personal, the introverts are not as reticent as  they would be in an in-the-flesh interaction; thus, they emerge from their cocoon.

What do you think?

Introvert does NOT equal shy or (necessarily) lack of desire to socialize.  I'm definitely an introvert and I LOVE socializing, but only under circumstances that I like and with people I like.  I also am not shy...I have no trouble at all giving speeches to lecture halls of a 100 people.  I am not self-conscious, either.

Introverts simply are easily overwhelmed and drained by stimuli that they can't control, and socializing in person can sometimes be too stimulating (depending on the specifics). But so can lots of other situations that don't involve socializing with people (e.g., just shopping at a mall can be too stimulating to me, even if I don't talk to anyone while I'm there).   

But internet exchanges are very limited-stimuli socializing (no visual and audio cues to instantly respond to and interpret), control over where and when you interact), quiet one on one interactions in person are usually slightly stimulating, more boisterous interactions with one person or interactions one on one with a person you don't know well are even more stimulating, and big groups are the most stimulating.

I can socialize 18 hours a day with the handful of people I know and like who don't overstimulate me, such as husband and sisters.  I need VERY little 'recovery' time from them, if any.  Whereas, attending a party consisting of a few friends might cause me to withdraw for a couple days.  If I actually attend a large party with a bunch of people I don't know, I will want to recharge for several weeks afterward.

Incidentally, it is possible to be an extrovert who doesn't particularly like socializing with anything other than a small group of close friends, too.  I know extroverts who are relatively uninterested in random socializing, but require some kind of constant stimulus...loud music, constant activity, etc.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
I was in research and development for 22 years and worked on products and with people. I lost both jobs to lay offs and the last time I couldn't find anything in R&D or anything compatible. I took this job in a hospital and it was a customer service oriented job checking in patients for one day surgery. This job was so out of my element dealing with people. I never knew dealing with people was alien to me since I had never worked in any retail job or any customer service job. So this is when I kind of figured that I was an introvert and this work was totally unappealing to me. This job required that we check in around 100 patients a day. On top of the patients, there were numerous family member for each patient. Constant questions. It was like working at a ticket booth at Disney. I worked there a year till I finally found another job not dealing directly with people in customer service. My last day I just about ran out the door. I guess we have to be kinder to people in customer service. I do know people who love it and they are people persons. I am not! Just put me in a room by myself and I will do my job.

Retyrebye50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »
Introvert here.
I do not enjoy large crowds of people, waiting in traffic, sharing my daily life to social media, and endless banter with people who need the last word.