Author Topic: Are there other folks here who didn't discover FIRE until after 40?  (Read 52153 times)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
Re: Are there other folks here who didn't discover FIRE until after 40?
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
I got 'downsized' from my last company at 42, started to seriously reduce budget/spending on my own.  Found MMM at 43 and that gave me motivation to not let up, and in fact to step on the gas re: saving and investing once I found another job. 

Since then, stach has been taking off like a rocket - $130k at 43, and $310k at 45 now.  This sh!t works!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:25:11 PM by tyort1 »

MustachianKentuckian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2017, 12:36:40 PM »
Joining in on the fun!  I discovered MMM when I was 39, so close enough.  I'm 41 now and MMM has greatly improved my financial life.  Thankfully, I was naturally careful with spending before MMM, but I wouldn't say I was frugal and I had never even considered the concept of retiring early so I didn't really have an end goal in mind...just sort of meandering along financially. MMM helped me get focused and find areas that my spending was just stupid.  I've made crazy progress in two years thanks to this blog.   At this point, I could probably retire at 50, but along with some others are here, have a pension coming.  I would be ok from a monthly income perspective to retire at 50, it's the retirement benefits that don't kick in until 55 that have me holding on.  Ah well...alot can happen in 14 years, so we will see how it goes.  Love this thread!

GillyMack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
In my late 50’s here.  Just discovered MMM about a year ago.

We were OK financially but not up to MMM standards.  Always contributed to 401K’s enough to get the match but no more.  Avoided credit card debt.  But lifestyle was somewhat spendy.

I’m very proud of myself for figuring out that we could live on 1 salary,  and that if both of us worked half time, that would equal 1 salary.  The ACA went into effect which gave us courage about health insurance.  DH had a toxic situation at work which very motivating. So in 2014, we both went “freelance,” never even expecting or wanting to find enough work to be fulltime.  Friends and family thought we were nuts.

But there was no question in our minds of actually retiring until Social Security age. 

One reason I like the site is that I feel at home here.  There is a certain attitude.  I’ve also found people who wouldn’t think we were nuts. 

My most powerful lesson is probably that “a penny saved is a penny earned” is true.  In fact, a penny saved is something like a penny earned plus some factor involving the marginal income tax rate. : )

We’re ready to reduce the hours even more and pull from the ‘stache.  But we have a few worries.

1)   Health insurance <sigh>
2)   One kid is totally self supporting.  But the other kid hasn’t really fully launched and has lots of trials and tribulations.  We don’t know how much support we may need to provide in the future.

DividendMeter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Meter
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »
I'm currently 46 - discovered MMM and the concept of FIRE when I was 42.   I've always been a decent saver, but really kicked things up a notch after a weekend binge of reading MMM articles about four years ago.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2017, 10:04:28 PM »
DH and I sound similar to many of you -- saving something in the 401k in our youth but not enough.  We frittered away enough money in our 20s and 30s that I'm kinda sick thinking about it.  We moved for a job opportunity in 2007 and couldn't sell the house in the other state in the 2008 downturn; paid two mortgages for a long time.  That was a painful wake-up call to get serious about our finances in our 40s if we ever wanted to retire.  My goal was to retire no later than 62; my secret dream, to get out at 60. 

After I first heard of this blog, I read every single post straight through.  That was 2014 so I was in my late 40s by then.  It inspired me to save and invest more.  We're not hardcore Mustachians by any definition; I think I'd call us "MMM-lite".  Imagine how thrilled I was when the financial adviser said we were on track to retire when I'm 58!

Barring the time machine (so I could go back and kick myself!), this blog and forum have been the next best thing for me.

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2017, 06:18:52 AM »
I discovered MMM at 50. Reading input from these forums convinced me that I could RE with a modest Fed pension and my assets, so did so at 52 when my agency offered early retirement.  Spouse was stay at home mom and I made the money.  I always maxed out retirement savings and we lived below our means but not extremely frugally.  If I would have understood FIRE at a younger age, I could have retired a couple of years earlier, but not by much considering our life style at the time which we continue to enjoy. 

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »
I think there's a tendency to assume a fallacy on this forum: that 99% of us are 100% aggressively mustachian, young, in our 20s or early 30s, biking everywhere, never eating at restaurants, etc. Looking at actual posts, it seems there's a much wider spread than that in age, nearness to FI, level of frugality, etc.

I like a lot of the threads here, but I doubt I'm alone in being in my 50s and not yet FI, driving to work, occasionally eating at a restaurant or food truck, buying frozen meals, keeping the house warm, and frittering money away on video games and other luxury items. There's no point in being embarrassed about not adhering to the strictest mustachian standards.

It's really about living your life to be happy, as best you can.
+1
I actually think the full blown mustachians are in the minority. There seem to be many, many more moderates.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »
+1
I actually think the full blown mustachians are in the minority. There seem to be many, many more moderates.

Yep, and let's face the facts .... standard retirement age in the US has always been 65.  Most will work at least that long.
Anything earlier than that is early retirement and congratulations are in order for anyone that can achieve it.  Heck, congratulations are in order for anyone that can retire decently at any age.

Retiring in your 30's and 40's that is talked about so much is a pipe dream for most, and many that try it will be broke and have to back to work because they tried to retire with too little savings, didn't account for large medical costs, inflation, etc.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
Health care is one of my biggest concerns. We're budgeting in long term care insurance, which should help. But I'm probably not going to be able to leave my job before I'm 55 as that's when I'll qualify for the health benefit portion of our retirement program. I'd only pay the current employee's cost, not the full cost of a full health program. And we've got really, really decent health coverage. Over 9 surgeries in this family over the past 10 years and each one has cost us exactly $15.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »
So I'm curious - for those of us at or over 40 who are still working, what would it take to retire tomorrow?

Say you're long lost relative suddenly shows up and gifts you with X dollars. What would that amount have to be?

NinjaSalad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
I'm just shy of 42 and DH is 48.

We are perpetual late bloomers - we put ourselves through college and I didn't finish until I was 30 (DH was 36) so we were already pretty far behind on the earning curve right off the bat. And neither of us chose super high-paying fields (I'm in environmental and DH is in media). And we graduated with massive student loan debt because it was the only way we could afford to go to school. Unfortunately, we were pretty clueless when it came to saving for the future.

On the other hand, we've always made an effort to reduce waste, consume less, etc. We recently downsized to a house that's 1.5 miles from work and I'm considering selling my car. So I guess we are "half-mustachian" for now and working on the other half.

Long story short, we've made our fair share of financial mistakes and because of that, I don't really think FIRE is in our future. But I'm okay with that. More importantly, our goal is to leave the world better than we found it and NOT be a financial burden on our son (he's only 6 and already wants to retire early, lol). I'm dealing with elderly parents who live on SS and it's not fun to watch...

I'm just glad to know we are not the only late bloomers!

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »
Health care is one of my biggest concerns. We're budgeting in long term care insurance, which should help. But I'm probably not going to be able to leave my job before I'm 55 as that's when I'll qualify for the health benefit portion of our retirement program. I'd only pay the current employee's cost, not the full cost of a full health program. And we've got really, really decent health coverage. Over 9 surgeries in this family over the past 10 years and each one has cost us exactly $15.
I'm not understanding why long term care insurance will help?
Don't get me wrong, I believe in long term care insurance, but only for protecting my assets for my spouse and/or my children. If it was just me, I wouldn't give a shit if I ended spending down all my assets on nursing care.

Health Insurance is my #1 concern about FIRE. One of us will probably keep working until we either have enough in our stache to be okay to pay an additional $1,200 for health insurance premiums until we are 65, on top of our other expenses. Or until there is some sort of guaranteed universal basic health insurance available for us to buy.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
So I'm curious - for those of us at or over 40 who are still working, what would it take to retire tomorrow?

Say you're long lost relative suddenly shows up and gifts you with X dollars. What would that amount have to be?

My # is 25x expenses, plus the balance owed on my mortgage.  So, $40k x 25 = 1million.  +$350k for mortgage.

Total $1.3M

But I already have $310k in savings, so that brings it down to $990,000. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »
Health Insurance is my #1 concern about FIRE. One of us will probably keep working until we either have enough in our stache to be okay to pay an additional $1,200 for health insurance premiums until we are 65, on top of our other expenses. Or until there is some sort of guaranteed universal basic health insurance available for us to buy.
I hope you mean $1200 per person. We're mid 50's and ours is $1750/month for the two of us now.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
Long Term Care - essentially making sure that we're taken care of should be need to go into an assisted living/nursing home/full time home nurse situation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_care_insurance "Long-term care insurance (LTC or LTCI) is an insurance product, sold in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada, that helps pay for the cost of long-term care. Long-term care insurance covers care generally not covered by health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid." This may be a US thing only too.

I'm not understanding why long term care insurance will help?
Don't get me wrong, I believe in long term care insurance, but only for protecting my assets for my spouse and/or my children. If it was just me, I wouldn't give a shit if I ended spending down all my assets on nursing care.

Must Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
Glad to see there are so many of us!  There was a similar thread last year that prompted me to make my very first post on these boards:

"First time posting here.  I couldn't resist because this thread fit me perfectly.  It's very reassuring to know that I'm not the only one to have "seen the light of MMM" after passing 40.

I discovered MMM exactly one year ago at the age of 41 and was embarrassed to realize that I was the prototypical Consumer Sucka (and still am in many respects).  We live in an unnecessarily large house in a very high COL suburb of Washington, DC. We drove two expensive German SUVs, both bought on credit, even though my commute is only 4 miles and my wife is a stay-at-home Mom to our three kids.  We hardly paid any attention to our weekly/monthly/yearly spending and basically spent whatever we wanted on food, clothes, travel, and everything else.  The only saving grace was that I'm in a high-income job at a very generous company which has enabled me to fully max out my retirement accounts every year and also put away a little bit more in taxable accounts.  Even still, we've averaged only around a 20% savings rate.  After finding this site, I read every single MMM article in just a few weeks and tried to start implementing as much of the advice as I could.  When I read the article about the 4% rule and calculated our annual spending at nearly $200K, I realized that I would need to accumulate a stash of about $5M (gulp!) if we didn't trim our expenses and I'd likely be working until at least 60 years old.  Having read about so many people here who retired in their 30s and 40s, I have become convinced that I can do it too. 

Over the course of the past year, we have:

Sold both German SUVs and downsized to a used VW Golf and used Toyota Highlander (not ideal, but baby steps!).  And no more car loans!
Bought a bike and started biking to work as much as possible
Bring lunch to work every day
Moved taxable accounts away from a Financial Advisor charging >1% and into Index Funds at Vanguard
Moved all 401(k) money into Index Funds at Fidelity (where my Company 401k is held)
Started tracking expenses and Net Worth on Personal Capital
Cut cable bill in half (not ready to cut the cord entirely yet, but we'll get there!)
Refinanced mortgage to save about $900 per month
Sold cash-flow negative rental property
Started selling unnecessary "stuff" on Craigslist, eBay.
Have gotten much smarter about grocery shopping and have trimmed our monthly spend by about 40%.  We can still do even better.

We are still implementing many more changes in our day-to-day lives, but the biggest remaining item on the list is the decision of whether or not to relocate to a lower COL area.  If we do that, we could be FIRE in the next five years.

I really can't thank MMM enough (as well as all the other contributors on this forum).  It seems like an exaggeration to say that a website changed one's life, but in my case, it really did."

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »

My husband would not be on board with us both retiring unless we were at his target number of 2.5M not including home equity (because we would sell the current house and buy something much smaller/cheaper with existing equity). We still have 3 kids to put through college, so if we hit 2.5M while kids are still at home, we downsize our house and we're done. Alternatively, if we hit June of 2030 without reaching 2.5M, we retire anyway, because current home equity at that time should pay for cheaper housing and finish putting the last two kids through college. The target number would only be 1.25M if it were up to me.

Must Stache, you've made some really good progress!!

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »
What a fun thread!  It's nice to see how many over 40s there are here.

I found MMM in 2011 (I think), so I didn't have much of a backlog of posts to read, but I devoured it in a couple of weeks (along with GRS and TSD). I was medium-ish income and not likely to make a high salary ever (college prof in social sciences), so the blog really made me look hard at my expenses.  Downsized my house, upped my retirement contributions with the difference in the mortgage payment and haven't looked back.  Six years later, I think I'm about at 50% of my goal for FIRE money.  I plan to shift to part-time in 3-4 years (at age 50-51), enough to cover a chunk of my bills while the stash pretty much grows by itself until age 59.5.  I'm so thankful I found MMM when I did as work has become increasingly political and depressing in the last year and it's not good for my health.  My BIG wildcard is health insurance; I've got to have it, so I may be stuck working until 55 at my current place (although I'd change jobs hopefully).

monkeymind

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2017, 07:03:51 PM »
I wanna play too.

I was technically 39 when I found this site about five years ago, but I was an old 39 - close enough to count myself in this group, I think. 

When I found my way here, I was working part time and going back to school. Two and a half years ago, I graduated and moved into a full time job. I'm now 44 and pretty much FI, but I'm also a chicken. I'm worried about the future of healthcare so I'm kinda watching and waiting.

MMM was a lucky find at just the right time. I hadn't planned for early retirement before then and now here I am, 5 years later, knowing it's just a matter of when I say when. How cool is that?

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »
39 years old old and new to MMM here.

After some not-so-great financial decisions when I was younger (grad school, a credit fueled spending binge after I graduated, and some unemployment) I'd gotten back on my feet and am on track for a standard mid-60s retirement.  This site has me thinking about trying to lop at least 10 years off of that.

life_travel

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2017, 10:04:25 PM »
Posting to join too. While I was always careful with money, we did lose a lot of years due to frittering away "pennies" and some bad luck with investments . We bought a business in 08 that ended up costing 150k , maybe more! in loses due to financial crisis hitting in 2009. At the same time our three rentals dropped in value 60%, got trashed , etc. it took us 9 years to get back on track.
I always wanted to retire early but thought I would need to drop out of society in super LCOL location .. But my husband would never agree with that ha ha.
Found MMM in 2015 at 41 , started implementing some things, main thing being salary sacrificing into retirement funds. Now planning multi stage RE, hopefully in 4-5 years.
Can relate to so many posts above . It's cool to have "my tribe " - over 40s moustachians !! 😊

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2017, 06:15:04 AM »
Glad to see there are so many of us!  There was a similar thread last year that prompted me to make my very first post on these boards:

"First time posting here.  I couldn't resist because this thread fit me perfectly.  It's very reassuring to know that I'm not the only one to have "seen the light of MMM" after passing 40.

I discovered MMM exactly one year ago at the age of 41 and was embarrassed to realize that I was the prototypical Consumer Sucka (and still am in many respects).  We live in an unnecessarily large house in a very high COL suburb of Washington, DC. We drove two expensive German SUVs, both bought on credit, even though my commute is only 4 miles and my wife is a stay-at-home Mom to our three kids.  We hardly paid any attention to our weekly/monthly/yearly spending and basically spent whatever we wanted on food, clothes, travel, and everything else.  The only saving grace was that I'm in a high-income job at a very generous company which has enabled me to fully max out my retirement accounts every year and also put away a little bit more in taxable accounts.  Even still, we've averaged only around a 20% savings rate.  After finding this site, I read every single MMM article in just a few weeks and tried to start implementing as much of the advice as I could.  When I read the article about the 4% rule and calculated our annual spending at nearly $200K, I realized that I would need to accumulate a stash of about $5M (gulp!) if we didn't trim our expenses and I'd likely be working until at least 60 years old.  Having read about so many people here who retired in their 30s and 40s, I have become convinced that I can do it too. 

Over the course of the past year, we have:

Sold both German SUVs and downsized to a used VW Golf and used Toyota Highlander (not ideal, but baby steps!).  And no more car loans!
Bought a bike and started biking to work as much as possible
Bring lunch to work every day
Moved taxable accounts away from a Financial Advisor charging >1% and into Index Funds at Vanguard
Moved all 401(k) money into Index Funds at Fidelity (where my Company 401k is held)
Started tracking expenses and Net Worth on Personal Capital
Cut cable bill in half (not ready to cut the cord entirely yet, but we'll get there!)
Refinanced mortgage to save about $900 per month
Sold cash-flow negative rental property
Started selling unnecessary "stuff" on Craigslist, eBay.
Have gotten much smarter about grocery shopping and have trimmed our monthly spend by about 40%.  We can still do even better.

We are still implementing many more changes in our day-to-day lives, but the biggest remaining item on the list is the decision of whether or not to relocate to a lower COL area.  If we do that, we could be FIRE in the next five years.

I really can't thank MMM enough (as well as all the other contributors on this forum).  It seems like an exaggeration to say that a website changed one's life, but in my case, it really did."
This is awesome!  I have many things in common and am slowly working through a similar list. Two things that I really should focus on are groceries and biking to work. I can improve on both of them, yet I haven't. Good for you, must sta he that you've done so much in one year. I need to step it up!

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2017, 06:34:16 AM »
Yup, this fits us to a "T". 

We are in our mid-50s and other than my wife's 401k had very little saved as of the beginning of 2017.  I found MMM from an off-hand comment in another forum (backpacking).

We were in a good position to change our financial habits having just moved and downsized our house and lives.  Now we're saving like fiends, tax planning, learning, etc.

It's too late for us to "RE", but at least now there is some hope we will be able to retire at all.

The biggest challenge is fighting our old spendy ways.  They can creep back very stealthily.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:35:53 AM by Pizzabrewer »

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »
I am 46 and discovered MMM about two years ago, around the same time I took a leap of faith, quit my 180k a year job, and formed my third consulting company. Mrs Axe and I both grew up poor, so we understood how to be frugal. Put ourselves through college, graduated into a recession, and took a year to find a job. I opened an IRA when I got my first professional job at 23. Growing up poor, we had some dumb ideas about what it meant to be successful, and we definitely wasted some years of our lives chasing the wrong things.

I made some bad decisions in 2008 with my investments, got back in way too early, and lost about 60% of what I'd saved in my IRA. That was frustrating, but at this point I've earned it back, and then some (though if I'd just left it alone, I would have done much better).

After finding MMM, we've sold our clown house and cut expenses from about $100k a year to about 60k a year (with a goal to get to 45k). My past bad decisions have been tempered by making a lot; my consulting company did extremely well last year and allowed me to put down 20% on a house, cashflow three years of state college for my daughter, max out all tax deferred space for 2016, as well as 2017 (we capped our 401k's by March). Our goal for the next three years is $120k in savings, which should get us to a ramp-down period in three years at age 49, or full retirement at age 51 in five years.

My business is healthcare reform, so I know enough about the details to be terrified of what could happen. We both have pre-existing conditions that would make insurance unaffordable for my consulting practice. It's the big risk in our plan, and if the worst case scenario happens, then I go back to work for The Man until Medicare kicks in. Otherwise, we plan to retire in three years with a variety of ways to cover expenses until the stache gets to where we need it to be.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
Axecleaver - man you are rockin' it!

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »
I found MMM at 38.  My husband was 49.  In 2010, I told him I had defined a 10 year plan for us to retire.  He was 45 when we married and together we had 2 kids so he planned to work until 70.  He thought I was crazy and refused to discuss the plan or how to get there.  I kept refining the plan and doing my part to live a rich but semi-fugal life. 

5 years later in (2015) I told him we had 846k in investible assets and he took notice.   Suddenly I wasn't so crazy.   He will FIRE next year, 3 full years ahead of my 10 year plan.  I may go next year too.  But after 17 years with megacorp, I can't just walk away.  I'll be 7 years away from officially retiring but I'm hoping to be laid off or given a voluntary separation package. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:39:30 PM by RetirementDreaming »

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
I wanna play too.

I was technically 39 when I found this site about five years ago, but I was an old 39 - close enough to count myself in this group, I think. 

When I found my way here, I was working part time and going back to school. Two and a half years ago, I graduated and moved into a full time job. I'm now 44 and pretty much FI, but I'm also a chicken. I'm worried about the future of healthcare so I'm kinda watching and waiting.

MMM was a lucky find at just the right time. I hadn't planned for early retirement before then and now here I am, 5 years later, knowing it's just a matter of when I say when. How cool is that?

That is AWESOME.
Way to go

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
I found MMM when I was 45.  At that point we were doing a lot of good things -- saving a huge chunk of income, maxing our 401k and IRA contributions.  Since following MMM I've gained a few things:
- Learned all about megabackdoor roths and have been doing that.
- Learned the advantages of HSAs and been maximizing their use.
- Have moved unqualified funds to Vanguard and a hefty chunk of our qualified funds to index funds.
- Learned how to have the ER conversation with my nine years older spouse, who is on the bandwagon.
- Have learned to question everything when it comes to spending money.

We still have some spendypants habits (cable TV, not big DIY people when it comes to home projects) but I like reading here.  It gives me ideas for making improvements and motivates me to stay on track.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »
846k in investible assets and he took notice.   Suddenly I wasn't so crazy. 

Quoted for awesome.

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
47 when I found this site. Even though I was already somewhat frugal, MMM and JLCollinsNH gave me the idea the FIRE was possible and the path to get there.
My plan for FIRE at 55 is going well. Goal is 1.5mm. Just hope there is a health insurance option available for us in the US at the time.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »
I was 45 DH 49 when we discovered MMM. Better late than never. The kick in the pants for me was a horrible boss and the though of working another 22 years until full retirement terrified me. He was a late 50's DINK with high income and he said he couldn't retire until 67. I thought there had to be a better way. We are not super mustaches but way better than we were just a couple of years ago. We plan to retire about 57/61!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2017, 03:33:10 PM »
Yep, and let's face the facts .... standard retirement age in the US has always been 65.  Most will work at least that long.
Anything earlier than that is early retirement and congratulations are in order for anyone that can achieve it.  Heck, congratulations are in order for anyone that can retire decently at any age.

This is true . . . many who are "retiring" now are actually just destitute. It's pretty sad to see.

I found MMM in my early 40's, wasn't even thinking about RE at the time. I was just scrambling around as a new single parent trying to make ends meet. The site inspired me to max out everything tax deferred and open a Roth. Now, a few years later, I realize I can technically retire any time, because I could just reduce expenditures down to the level needed. I still don't consider myself FI, though. I'm waiting until my passive income eclipses my actual admittedly extravagant expenditures to declare FI. Even then I probably won't retire because I like my job so much (and it is sort of a "semi-retirement" cushy job anyway.)

Nonetheless, I see so many older people who want or physically need to retire and really can't, that just being able to retire with dignity when the time comes will feel like a victory.

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »
I'm 46, found MMM two years ago but was saving religiously since I started working at 22. Went through some spendy periods, but never accumulated any debt besides a small mortgage. I'm well over my FIRE number, but I'm too chicken$hit to fully FIRE because of an 88 year old mother with health issues and a brother with type-1 diabetes and no savings. I'm a GS-15 Fed and have been in talks with my agency to go part-time, figuring I can keep my benes, start living more of my life (fitness and outdoor activities are HUGE for me), and spend more time taking care of my Mom. Even at 20 hours a week I'd be making $80k, and I'd still be able to save a lot of that with my pretty-frugal lifestyle.

The negotiations are slooowwww.... like everything in the government. But I'll hopefully be part time by July

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2017, 09:52:52 PM »
52, according to my profile '15 start, and I was lurking for a year before that so call me 49 on discovery of MMM and related stuff.

I already had been socking lotsa dough in the bag,but I hadn't figured out that I could go so early.

The pointers here to https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/taxes/taxes-in-early-retirement-%28gocurrycracker-links%29/ helped as well as the discussions on 72(t), SEPP rules.

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »
40+ here, but have been aware of financial independence for quite some time.  I actually bought a book titled How to be a Financially Secure Woman with my allowance as a teen after yet another "we can't afford that" from my parents.  I was NOT going to be like them if I could do anything about it.  The next important FI book in my bookcase was Paul Terhorst's Cashing in on the American Dream.  I later found Getting a Life, which then led to YMOYL.  I learned a lot about value, of life, my time, etc...and these books are still on my bookshelf.  I've read many other FI books from the library.

The thing was I was never into the retire early part of it when I was younger, but it is definitely the goal now.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2017, 04:30:43 AM »
I think we should start a new thread with pics of all the excess shit we had before discovering MMM.  My thing was cars....I've spent TENS OF THOUSANDS on cars.
 Thankfully I found this site, in my mid forties, and I realized just how stupid I was.  I'd be FI if I'd found this site 10 years ago.

Rife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2017, 08:26:47 AM »
I discovered this site not long after getting married at 41.  Then we were both debt adverse but had low paying jobs until then and net worth under 50k. I had used my savings to go back to school in my 30s and my wife had recently been promoted into management so income wise things were ramping up quickly.

It took another year or so for my wife to get on board, and she doesn't read this blog, but once she did it has been amazing. She has a detailed monthly budget that runs until retirement. Obviously future years are mostly guesses but we plan how much on average to spend on the house or vacations etc. I am now 45 and our net worth is 650000. We are going another 15 years and target a net worth over 3 million. Our savings rate was about 65% last year. We are obviously not hardcore Mustacian and share more with Ramseyism except for paying off the house early and credit cards. Despite our savings rate we have a fairly generous vacation budget and want to travel a lot when we retire.

This site is aimed at young people but a 40+ year old has a lot more at stake and going from an ok retirement at 67 to a dream retirement at 60 is pretty cool. My dad retired well and last year he even showed me his retirement spreadsheet for the first time and gave me some advice which was to plan to not touch the principal and don't get too conservative investing since you may still have 40 years to go. I took it as a big pat on the back that he did that since he has kept that thing to himself for decades. He didn't retire early but did buy a 100000+ dollar Mercedes as a retirement gift to himself.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »
<...>
This site is aimed at young people but a 40+ year old has a lot more at stake and going from an ok retirement at 67 to a dream retirement at 60 is pretty cool. My dad retired well and last year he even showed me his retirement spreadsheet for the first time and gave me some advice which was to plan to not touch the principal and don't get too conservative investing since you may still have 40 years to go. I took it as a big pat on the back that he did that since he has kept that thing to himself for decades. He didn't retire early but did buy a 100000+ dollar Mercedes as a retirement gift to himself.

For us over 40 I find the thought of having to work until 67 (in Norway) not attractive. I cannot imagine myself in this "fulltime working for a boss" routine for another 23 years. 23 years is more than my fulltime working career so far, so I am not even halfway the official path! Now with MMM, at least I have the prospect of quitting at 50, which is another 6 years and one month. That still sounds too long for my liking and therefore I hope that by saving even more rigorously we can shave off another couple of years.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:47:28 AM by Linda_Norway »

InnTee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »
I'm 47, with a wife and two teenage kids. Just discovered MMM a few months ago.

Over the years we've been decent savers (by comparison with the broader population, not MMM) and below-average investors. Money has tended to sit around in minimal-interest savings, etc.

Now, I'm fully bought in (conceptually), and making the small changes that are within my control. My wife hasn't bought into the FIRE dream though, and since finances are joint it causes some tension. Which weighs on me since I'm in a (well-paying) job I don't enjoy, and would like to quit. But I'm the single wage-earner, and have been for years. So am working on trying to model "healthy" behavior and hope it's contagious in time.

If our expenses were at MMM levels, I could FIRE right now. But, imagining the more realistic scenario of a somewhat reduced budget, I'm thinking I'm still around 7 years away from it. And that's assuming we can figure something out about the kids' college costs & the ever-rising costs of healthcare.

Wish I'd had the MMM mindset 20 years ago when we first were married. That way we would've started out on the right foot, and chances are that I'd now be doing something I actually enjoy. Ah, hindsight....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2017, 05:45:53 AM »
I'm 47, with a wife and two teenage kids. Just discovered MMM a few months ago.

Over the years we've been decent savers (by comparison with the broader population, not MMM) and below-average investors. Money has tended to sit around in minimal-interest savings, etc.

Now, I'm fully bought in (conceptually), and making the small changes that are within my control. My wife hasn't bought into the FIRE dream though, and since finances are joint it causes some tension. Which weighs on me since I'm in a (well-paying) job I don't enjoy, and would like to quit. But I'm the single wage-earner, and have been for years. So am working on trying to model "healthy" behavior and hope it's contagious in time.

If our expenses were at MMM levels, I could FIRE right now. But, imagining the more realistic scenario of a somewhat reduced budget, I'm thinking I'm still around 7 years away from it. And that's assuming we can figure something out about the kids' college costs & the ever-rising costs of healthcare.

Wish I'd had the MMM mindset 20 years ago when we first were married. That way we would've started out on the right foot, and chances are that I'd now be doing something I actually enjoy. Ah, hindsight....
I retired at 54. It's still pretty great!

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »
I found MMM whenI was about 38.  Read a lot but didn't do anything.
When I was 40 I divorced.  After everything was finalized, I walked away with $105K to my name (about 70/30 split between retirement funds and cash).  That was 2 years ago.  At that time things felt hopeless to me.  I didn't think I'd ever be able to retire, much less be FI.

Since then things started looking up.  In 2 years, my NW went from $105K to $180K.  Right now I am projecting that I may be able to retire around age 52-53 right around the time both kids will graduate college.  If my projections are wrong and I won't be able to retire completely, I will definitely be able to go part time at that point.  So all in all, I am happy with my progress so far. 

Some caveats are that it's not likely that I will be much help to kids in helping with college tuition.  They'll have do just figure it out mostly on their own.  I am prioritizing my retirement to their college savings.  Kids know about this.  I feel a bit bad about not having college savings for them, but on the other hand, they will figure out how to eventually pay off their student loans.  I on the other hand, have no 'student loan' options for retirement and I need to take care of me right now so that they, the kids don't have to take care of me later.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2017, 09:17:28 AM »
We too are going all in on our retirement without figuring in money for college as far as the kids are concerned. We are emphasizing things like dual-enrollment - several local state colleges allow high school juniors and seniors to also take a class or two. These classes are free and can transfer into a ton of other institutions. That may knock off one or two semesters from their potential bill. Also, going to a state school as opposed to a private school, going for as many scholarships as possible, etc.

We figure that further down the line, if they do come out with significant debt, we may be able to help them out by offsetting things like childcare costs or simply having some spare cash to help them pay down their loans.

We are saving a bit for them but it will most likely only cover the cost of books and sundries.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
I found MMM whenI was about 38.  Read a lot but didn't do anything.
When I was 40 I divorced.  After everything was finalized, I walked away with $105K to my name (about 70/30 split between retirement funds and cash).  That was 2 years ago.  At that time things felt hopeless to me.  I didn't think I'd ever be able to retire, much less be FI.

Since then things started looking up.  In 2 years, my NW went from $105K to $180K.  Right now I am projecting that I may be able to retire around age 52-53 right around the time both kids will graduate college.  If my projections are wrong and I won't be able to retire completely, I will definitely be able to go part time at that point.  So all in all, I am happy with my progress so far. 

Some caveats are that it's not likely that I will be much help to kids in helping with college tuition.  They'll have do just figure it out mostly on their own.  I am prioritizing my retirement to their college savings.  Kids know about this.  I feel a bit bad about not having college savings for them, but on the other hand, they will figure out how to eventually pay off their student loans.  I on the other hand, have no 'student loan' options for retirement and I need to take care of me right now so that they, the kids don't have to take care of me later.
Great story of your progress and your outlook. If more kids and parents understood this, better choices would be made.

To add to what DJ2032 said, here's a family anecdote: Niece 1 goes to UCLA as an in-state student. A year later, Niece 2 is accepted at Brown, based on her stats and that she plays a particular sport well. Not an athletic scholarship, per se, but it helps. Guess whose tuition cost more? I have to say I'm proud of each of them for many reasons, especially for finishing in four years.

cookielover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2017, 10:34:30 PM »
I didn't find Bogleheads and MMM until early 40's about 10 years ago.  I have been already frugal and lived below my means.  However, if I had found Bogleheads and MMM earlier I would have avoided a lot of investment mistakes.  I am planning to retire in 4-5 years.  By then kids will graduate from college. 

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2017, 02:31:18 AM »
I didn't discover FIRE until age 44, when I discovered MMM's website, then quickly worked out I was already FI. I didn't RE for another year because it sounded too good to be true and I wanted to be sure. Turns out it was good AND true!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
I didn't discover FIRE until age 44, when I discovered MMM's website, then quickly worked out I was already FI. I didn't RE for another year because it sounded too good to be true and I wanted to be sure. Turns out it was good AND true!
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2017, 08:28:17 AM »
We're late bloomers too. I'm in my mid 40s with wife and a tween and teen.

It took a long time for our careers to start paying off. DW had change her career game plan a couple of times to get traction.

Along the way we found Mint and I have used it to track our spending. A friend pointed me to this blog and I started using the forums. The forums both educated me and helped me work through (understand) some people dysfunction around us which has been very therapeutic. People's behavior continues but it's not our problem (circles of influence).

MMM and a couple of other forums has helped me change my relationship with money, food and people - all for the better. Maybe it is age, maybe it is education. Right now I'm adjusting my diet (baby steps) and losing weight prob at the same pace I gained it which is slowly but the changes are things I can live with forever.

DW prefers that I do all the planning and learning. That's okay since she takes care of a number of other topics in our family. I'd like it more if she was also reading MMM too and we were comparing notes but whatever.

We make good use of our income. We aren't consumeristas. We wear things out entirely before we replace them. We shop for quality when we can and keep it a long, long time.

I expect to retire around 60 yrs old. DW will retire soon after (different ages). Right now the money comes it and we enjoy saving it as much as we enjoy utilizing it.

Alim Nassor

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2017, 11:46:30 PM »

100k and I'd take a big $#!+ in the middle of my bosses desk.  LOL

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »
For me it would be 1 million dollars.  That would let me pay off the house and still have a permanent stach.

FI4good

• Stubble
  • EU citizen
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »

This far out from state pension i think £500,000 tax free would give me a decent safety margin , at 4% withdrawal i could still live on a 50% drop in the markets ..

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!