Author Topic: are people really this stupid?  (Read 25281 times)

nemesis

• Bristles
are people really this stupid?
« on: February 20, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
This "tech" article really rubs me the wrong way -  https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/18/17021710/apple-iphone-x-smartphone-case-design-dangers-caseless

The idiot blogger not only brags about paying over $1k for a stupid iPhone X, then he goes on a rant about using it without a protective case what so ever.

Are human beings really achieving this level of dumbness?  To burn their money, and then burn it more by risk destroying it with carelessness?  I'm just blown away by the idiocy of modern day consumers.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
Re: are people really this stupid?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 02:48:44 PM »
When I die I'm taking mine with me. I will be buried in 1 grave and all my money will be buried beside me in another grave. I want to rent a limo to carry the money and travel behind me in the hearse. I had always said it should follow me in a U-Haul but I've changed to a limo.

As for an iPhone X..... I wouldn't pay $1 for the iPhone 6 I have now. After March 1 I'm going to get a new phone, not sure what kind, maybe another iPhone and maybe not but it won't be the X, and see how far I can drop this iPhone 6 until it breaks.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
There’s only ever one answer when that question is posted on this forum.

It’s like the opposite of Betteridge’s law of headlines.

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »
This "tech" article really rubs me the wrong way -  https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/18/17021710/apple-iphone-x-smartphone-case-design-dangers-caseless

The idiot blogger not only brags about paying over $1k for a stupid iPhone X, then he goes on a rant about using it without a protective case what so ever.

Are human beings really achieving this level of dumbness?  To burn their money, and then burn it more by risk destroying it with carelessness?  I'm just blown away by the idiocy of modern day consumers.

Who cares?

It's not like its a priceless work of art.  Its an iPhone. 

The most likely thing to break on it if dropped is the screen.  Screens break all the time even with a case.  And one can have their screen replaced at thousands of kiosks in shopping centers around the country.
I've never broken a phone screen, but I've dropped a ton of phones a ton of times.  All my phones live in cases, even cheap $50 phones.  Because a screen replacement costs $100 or more easily, especially with Apple touch ID and other tech that's a hassle to deal with.

Who cares? Not you, if you've got money to burn, I guess. 

But never mind that, I'd never buy an iPhone X, an absurd waste of money to begin with.  Buy something that's all glass, front and back, and use it without a case...stupid unless you're rich enough to burn hundred dollar bills.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 03:45:48 PM »
The answer to "are people really this dumb" is always yes.

But who cares if someone uses a phone without a case?

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
I use my s7 edge without a case. I find cases annoying.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
short answer, yes, people are that stupid.....I know people that never have cases for their  Iphones, including their IphoneX (because they were one of the first to get one)....

I have an Iphone5 in a waterproof, drop proof (so far) case, and I would never use an Iphone without a case.   I drop it too often, and have known a few people that have accidently dropped theirs in water.  The case was $80Cdn 5 years ago, and initally it had a lifetime warranty, now it's $5US to replace, but worth every penny to me.  (I need to replace the case every year or so, I drop the phone so often.... :-)  )

Many of the folks that don't have their phone in a case have 'applecare' and think that's the solution.  I don't.

Institutionalized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »
People are dumb for not using cases?  I think people are dumb who are careless enough with expensive technology to put it in a position where it can be dropped, but maybe that's just me.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »
Read the whole article. He bought his phone through Apple's iPhone upgrade program. He gets a new phone every year, and his phone is covered by Appecare+, which covers accidental damage, screen damage, and drops.

Last time I was at the Apple store I talked to one of the sales robots about this--None of them had cases on their iPhone, X, according to him. But that is because they upgrade every year.

I didn't buy an iPhone.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:26:18 PM »
Could you just......not drop your phone?  I've never had a case for a phone in ~15 years and have yet to break one by dropping it.  So while I obviously think paying $1000 for a phone is dumb, paying $50-100 for a case is also pretty dumb.  Better to be careful than pay $100 to ensure that you can be careless.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:41:40 PM »
Could you just......not drop your phone?  I've never had a case for a phone in ~15 years and have yet to break one by dropping it.  So while I obviously think paying $1000 for a phone is dumb, paying $50-100 for a case is also pretty dumb.  Better to be careful than pay $100 to ensure that you can be careless.

I am glad this plan has worked out for you. I know myself quite well and am VERY klutzy. I trip up the stairs, run into doorknobs, and just generally fall on a regular basis. The $100 case with the lifetime guarantee is absolutely worth it to me. Plus, I can let my kids use the camera, calculator, or flashlight features without a panic attack. :) I work very hard to treat my phone well but am known for being less than graceful.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 05:43:03 PM »

I am glad this plan has worked out for you. I know myself quite well and am VERY klutzy. I trip up the stairs, run into doorknobs, and just generally fall on a regular basis. The $100 case with the lifetime guarantee is absolutely worth it to me. Plus, I can let my kids use the camera, calculator, or flashlight features without a panic attack. :) I work very hard to treat my phone well but am known for being less than graceful.

If I had kids, I'm sure I would shell out for a case too.  They ruin everything.  :)

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »
Could you just......not drop your phone?

Some of us are cursed with butterfingers. I always use a case. Of course, I don't buy the newest phone, so whatever case I need for a phone can generally be found on discount. The case on my iPhone 5 is very protective and cost $4 from the discount bin at Walgreens.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »

If I had kids, I'm sure I would shell out for a case too.  They ruin everything.  :)

The upside is that there's even less reason to care about slimmer, lighter, shinier phones.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Here is when I got a case for my phone.... I was driving down the road about 10 years ago talking on the phone..... phone slides out of my hand in to the back floorboard so here I am yelling.... KEN!! KEN!!! I DROPPED MY PHONE. I'LL PULL OVER AT THE NEXT EXIT AND CALL YOU BACK!!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 07:27:53 PM »
I like beautiful objects and carry an iPhone without a case.

Come at me, clumsy phone droppers.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
Seems like it depends on people maybe. Some are very clumsy/unlucky, others not so much.

I have a cousin who's dropped some of her phones in the toilet. Twice. I understand that some people use their phone in the toilet. I don't understand what position you have to be in so that you could drop it in there.

As for myself, I have owned mobile phones for more than 15 years now, only one of them suffered significant damage, and that would not have been fixed by a case: At some point, the thing just stopped charging for no reason (except that it was a $10 phone, which probably was the reason). It is possible to be careful. If you have animals/small children (I have 3 of the latter), a bit of habit says your phone should generally be in a place where they cannot easily reach it: your hand, your pocket, on top of a shelf in a closed room, etc...

Additionally, most of my phones so far are in the price range of the "typical" iPhone case. I would not buy a $30 case to protect a $80 phone, that would be stupid. I guess it's different if you own a $1000 phone. 

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »
I have a cousin who's dropped some of her phones in the toilet. Twice. I understand that some people use their phone in the toilet. I don't understand what position you have to be in so that you could drop it in there.
Been there, done that. Being drunk played a role.
Fortunately I was able to dry it out in rice and it worked for another few months.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
Have you seen how people treat their cars? A phone is small beans by comparison.

And yes, I use a case and avoid the Samsung/iPhone tax by chasing "other brands".

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 08:59:40 PM »
Read the whole article. He bought his phone through Apple's iPhone upgrade program. He gets a new phone every year, and his phone is covered by Appecare+, which covers accidental damage, screen damage, and drops.

Last time I was at the Apple store I talked to one of the sales robots about this--None of them had cases on their iPhone, X, according to him. But that is because they upgrade every year.

I didn't buy an iPhone.
Was curious about this program as I hadn't heard of it.  It costs $49.91/month for a 64gb iPhone X: https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

I think I'll stick to using a case.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 11:59:03 PM »

I shall, and I will drop your phone like I do with my own on a near daily basis.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 12:58:23 AM »
Here is when I got a case for my phone.... I was driving down the road about 10 years ago talking on the phone..... phone slides out of my hand in to the back floorboard so here I am yelling.... KEN!! KEN!!! I DROPPED MY PHONE. I'LL PULL OVER AT THE NEXT EXIT AND CALL YOU BACK!!

Tell me this is sarcasm please? No phones and driving!

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 02:45:51 AM »

It's beautiful until that first drop, then it's a cracked / dinged up piece of junk.  I never understand your mentality. 

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 02:47:22 AM »
Cases are less than $10 - $20 on Amazon.  I've never met a person who has never dropped their phone. And I've never met someone who carried a phone naked without dings and / or cracked glass on it.

Unless you're some sort of demi-god, you will drop your phone.  Or are you an alien and not of this planet? :)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 04:11:47 AM »
Could you just......not drop your phone? 
I generally can, though things do happen from time to time, and my home has floorboards so it'd get a solid whack. But I also have small and curious children...

I paid $200, I think, for my phone (Moto g3) in August 2016, and $7.85 for a protective case for it. At time of writing the phone is now apparently no longer available, but the g5 goes for $249, and the case is 10c more.

Of course, I chose not to pay the Mac Tax. If you buy a product where you pay more for the same or less function than previous versions, or competing versions, then you must expect to pay more for any protection of it.

I think it's prudent to try to take care of your stuff. I lock my doors, put dubbin on my belts and shoes, get my car serviced, close the window when it's raining, and so on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:22:21 AM by Kyle Schuant »

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 06:04:43 AM »
When my $65 phone broke I just bought a new $65 phone. Luckily they still made the same model, so I didn't have to learn how to use a new model. The sad part was that I wasn't using it as a phone, I was taking it out of my pocket to check the time. If I started wearing a wrist watch again I would not have broken my phone.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »

Are you really calling a cellphone beautiful? Is it beautiful because of what it can do and not really for its actual appearance? Please tell me that's why.
No, I'm calling an iPhone beautiful. It's a great balanced design, using a high quality casing and materials. An amazing amount of work went into making it look and feel just right. I'm not going to bury it in some plastic case.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »

I shall, and I will drop your phone like I do with my own on a near daily basis.

Drop it low, and we'll all make it rain.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »

He's a penguin, he don't have no hands.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
Did you read the whole article?  The answer is at the end: "I’m not that stupid."

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »
Hm I've had some kind of cell phone since 2008, sometimes with a case, sometimes not. Not to say I've never dropped it, but I've never damaged my phones. current case got so worn I took it out of it's case. I'm planning to replace the case but are people really dropping their phones that often? I'm laughing at people dropping their phones in toliets.
PS. My youngest daughter has an ipad. It IS in a case but she dropped it and cracked the screen anyways. So yeah for anything a kid touches, a cover is necessary (but possibly not sufficient).

eta I'm an old fogey, so I like wearing a watch, and don't like carrying my phone around when I'm at home. Maybe this is more appropriate for people wedded to their phone, which probably the iphone people are.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:23:05 AM by partgypsy »

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
I consider a good case insurance.   Maybe you've never dropped a phone, maybe you never will....I've never never had a motorcycle accident, but I wouldn't ride without a helmet and proper riding gear.  I've never had a car accident, but I still buckle up every time, and wouldn't consider a car without airbags and side impact beams.....I guess I'm a belt and suspenders kind of person (old joke - you wear a suspenders in case the belt fails).

I don't walk around with the phone in my hand all the time, but shit happens, I've dropped it.  And generally, when it slips, the act of trying to catch it usually propels it further.

but, meh, to each their own.  I like mine in a case.  The lifeproof Fre is reasonably sleak, and maybe because I'm used to it, but I find it more comfortable to hold that a 'naked' iphone.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »

He's a penguin, he don't have no hands.
So? I'm a rubber duck with a scythe.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 10:15:02 AM »
Seems like it depends on people maybe. Some are very clumsy/unlucky, others not so much.

I assume it was dropped due to being stored in a back pocket, as is common with the lady folk =)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
[T]hen he goes on a rant about using it without a protective case what so ever.

I used to do this, because I never broke a feature phone. Alas, the smartphones (other than my G1) weren't so resilient.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 01:28:13 PM »
I never use a case on any of my phones. I understand as Computer Engineer that these phones really aren't designed to be in a lot of these cases that are used, they overheat.

Besides that, a good case isn't free and if I crack the screen I can get it replaced for < $100. I think it's an acceptable risk, and might even be the better play to go caseless.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
A case isn't just for protection. My case has a slot where I can put a few cards. This is nice as 99% of the time I just need a credit card and/or ID. As a result I don't need to take my wallet with me most days.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »

I assume it was dropped due to being stored in a back pocket, as is common with the lady folk =)

Yes, ladies pants have small pockets that aren't actually meant for carrying things!  I have never dropped a phone in the toilet, but I have come close at work a few times, because of the pocket issue.

Are you really calling a cellphone beautiful? Is it beautiful because of what it can do and not really for its actual appearance? Please tell me that's why.
No, I'm calling an iPhone beautiful. It's a great balanced design, using a high quality casing and materials. An amazing amount of work went into making it look and feel just right. I'm not going to bury it in some plastic case.

Same.  I like the look and feel of my phone, and don't want to ruin it with an ugly-a$$ case.  Seriously.  I've never broken a phone or screen - 9 years and counting!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:08 PM »

Help me out on this.

Why is an iPhone x "beautiful?"

To me, it just looks like a phone.  Am I missing something?

I'm sure the iPhone has some sort of "retinal something or other" that my $70 low end Samsung Galaxy doesn't have.  But the phone itself looks pretty much like every other phone.  Similar size, shape, buttons, and screen. 

Is it just the little Apple logo on the back that gets some people so excited?

When I picked up his phone, it felt like pretty much every other phone.  Did I fail to caress it properly to achieve the near orgasmic experience that Apple fanboys seem to get from it?

Or am I just not falling as hard for Apple's marketing gimmicks as I should?

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
For me, it's not just Apple. I had a free hand-me-down Android phone that was pleasing to hold, and I also used it case-feee.  But Apple really has been all about well-designed products (at the expense of technology).  I don't think it's a gimmick, just not everyone cares about design, which is cool.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »
If industrial design doesn't appeal to you, that's fine, but it doesn't mean those attributes don't exist. The amount of detail and engineering work that Ives and his team have put into iPhone design over the years has bordered on the ridiculous. Sometimes requiring inventing new industrial processes just to pull it off. Sometimes at the detriment of functionality.

To get the UX right means sweating the details that most people will never notice. Beveling the edge of a glass insert just so, or changing the tactile force on the lock screen button such that it feels engaging to use. It's that satisfaction in a homogeneous design that keeps some of us coming back. Some phone makers are starting to get this, but it takes development time and development dollars and not every maker wants to play that game.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »

Help me out on this.

Why is an iPhone x "beautiful?"

To me, it just looks like a phone.  Am I missing something?

I'm sure the iPhone has some sort of "retinal something or other" that my $70 low end Samsung Galaxy doesn't have.  But the phone itself looks pretty much like every other phone.  Similar size, shape, buttons, and screen. 

Is it just the little Apple logo on the back that gets some people so excited?

When I picked up his phone, it felt like pretty much every other phone.  Did I fail to caress it properly to achieve the near orgasmic experience that Apple fanboys seem to get from it?

Or am I just not falling as hard for Apple's marketing gimmicks as I should?
There is a middle ground between Apple fans who exhibit a cult-like following and people who claim to be completely blind to it.

It's possible that you have no appreciation for design. Do you scoff at museums and fine dining too? Not that there's anything wrong with it.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »
I really have zero care for how my phone looks but we do love our iPhones because of how they function. We use them until they are old and can’t hold a charge or give the “blue screen of death” but I love how seamlessly things flow from phones to DH’s work iPad with no effort on our part. Would we love Samsung if we had started with their products? Quite likely. :) Now we are just tied in to the I-whatever eco-system since we’ve had handheld Apple products since 2010.

a1pharm

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 07:45:40 AM »
If industrial design doesn't appeal to you, that's fine, but it doesn't mean those attributes don't exist. The amount of detail and engineering work that Ives and his team have put into iPhone design over the years has bordered on the ridiculous. Sometimes requiring inventing new industrial processes just to pull it off. Sometimes at the detriment of functionality.

To get the UX right means sweating the details that most people will never notice. Beveling the edge of a glass insert just so, or changing the tactile force on the lock screen button such that it feels engaging to use. It's that satisfaction in a homogeneous design that keeps some of us coming back. Some phone makers are starting to get this, but it takes development time and development dollars and not every maker wants to play that game.

Sounds like you have a serious case of tiny details exaggeration syndrome.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:38 PM »
I just bought a cellphone - one of the "other brands" and it has most of the styling cues of the Samsung/iPhone flagships. I really like it but after a day or so, the aesthetics aren't as important to me as battery life (impressive) and responsiveness.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:35:51 AM by Just Joe »

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »

Merely a requirement of the profession ; )

a1pharm

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »

Merely a requirement of the profession ; )

I'm only likely poking fun - I have a bad case of it too (mainly because my job requires it as well)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2018, 01:46:33 PM »
I've never ever broken a screen on my phone and I use a case. Meanwhile, pretty much every person I see with an iPhone has one with a broken screen. I'm not really sure what they are doing with their phones to have them in such rough shape. I suspect they may be kicking them against the wall repeatedly out of frustration.

a1pharm

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2018, 06:51:35 AM »
I've never ever broken a screen on my phone and I use a case. Meanwhile, pretty much every person I see with an iPhone has one with a broken screen. I'm not really sure what they are doing with their phones to have them in such rough shape. I suspect they may be kicking them against the wall repeatedly out of frustration.

Whatever it is, I don't want it to be fixed - the more people who buy iPhones, the better my VTSAX does (AAPL ~3% of VTSAX).  If anything, I wish Apple would make their devices even more fragile.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2018, 05:17:41 PM »

I didn't buy an iPhone.
Was curious about this program as I hadn't heard of it.  It costs $49.91/month for a 64gb iPhone X: https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

I think I'll stick to using a case.

I went one better and bought a Moto X4 for $300 (now $250) on Google Fi. And then I splurged $10 for a case.

Big spender, I am.