Author Topic: Are men's clothes made better than women's?  (Read 25283 times)

maco

• Bristles
Re: Are men's clothes made better than women's?
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2015, 10:55:30 AM »
I'd say that my clothes do seem to be significantly more durable than my wife's. 

On the fit side of things, I like to say that men's clothes are designed by women that hate men...  I swear, nobody can even get the basics of men's clothes right.  Pockets that are angled so all your stuff falls out when you sit down.  Pockets that are too small for hands, etc.  The sizes are so ridiculously inconsistent.  I have 36 waist jeans I can't squeeze in to, but also have 33s that are fine.  My shirt size is a M, L, or XL depending on the individual shirt (even brands aren't consistent).
That just sounds like men's clothing are starting to have some of the downsides women's clothing have had decades. You know, "but if you fill up a large pocket, it'll mess up the line! Carry a bag instead" and "look at you fitting into a 33! You're sooo trim. Don't you want to keep shopping with us because we make you feel good about your size?"

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
I'd say that my clothes do seem to be significantly more durable than my wife's. 

On the fit side of things, I like to say that men's clothes are designed by women that hate men...  I swear, nobody can even get the basics of men's clothes right.  Pockets that are angled so all your stuff falls out when you sit down.  Pockets that are too small for hands, etc.  The sizes are so ridiculously inconsistent.  I have 36 waist jeans I can't squeeze in to, but also have 33s that are fine.  My shirt size is a M, L, or XL depending on the individual shirt (even brands aren't consistent).
That just sounds like men's clothing are starting to have some of the downsides women's clothing have had decades. You know, "but if you fill up a large pocket, it'll mess up the line! Carry a bag instead" and "look at you fitting into a 33! You're sooo trim. Don't you want to keep shopping with us because we make you feel good about your size?"

Woot! Equality! </sarcasm> Seriously, though, women have been battling this for decades. It sucks that men have to deal with it as well now. Especially as, theoretically, your clothes are measured in actual inches (e.g. 36"/32" trousers) rather than made up numbers (8 or 10) which you would think would have a basis in the reality of those actual inches.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »

Just stop buying expensive cheaply made clothes! You like the durability of men clothes? BUY THEM and WEAR THEM. This is the only way to break the stereotypes and so called "pink tax".

You FIND them, and I'll buy them.  Men's clothes don't fit me. If they fit in the chest, the sleeves fall to my knees. 
Now LL Bean, REI and my normal go-to places have started making paper thin shirts for women.  I can't find thick cotton shirts.
I'd rather have only 5 pieces of clothes in my closet that are well made, not 50 that are so-called trendy but crappy made.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:16:55 AM by meteor »

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
Clothing is being made in a much cheaper manner across the board, but I see so much womens' stuff that is made out of synthetic fibers that just falls apart. Men's clothing just isn't made out of this material as often because the same variety isn't demanded as much. We as consumers have been demanding an insane volume of clothing so the suppliers make it cheaper and more often. It is insane that we expect a shirt to cost $15. There's no way this happens without many people sacrificing a decent living wage along the way. I think buying cheap clothes is bad for our budgets and bad for the people that make the clothing and bad for the environment. It is bad across the board!

I pretty much guarantee that if you go to most stores in a mall, you're going to find crap. Look at nicer department stores when they have sales/clearances. Look for clothing that is made in the US! Shop consignment stores. Look at the tag on the inside seam to figure out where the garment was made and what it is made out of. If you can find clothing from countries that have decent labor laws and that are made out of natural or recycled fibers, you're on the right track. Look at stitching, seam allowances, and quality of buttons and zippers.

I spend at least 20-30 bucks on an item of clothing, even secondhand. I think that anything cheaper is actually non-mustachian!

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
May not be everyone's cup of tea, but I would recommend checking out stores geared towards agriculture. Around here those would be Murdock's, Quality Supply, etc.  There are well made women's clothes at those stores, as they are intended to be used roughly.  Now there is quite a bit of cheaper, sequin-y stuff too, but most of the work clothes are well built. Of course, you'll have to be ok with looking a bit like a rancher...

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2015, 11:47:46 AM »
On a side note:  I'm so frustrated with crappy made clothes, and overpriced cloth at the fabric store, I decided to go to the thrift store to look for the biggest clothing item I could cut up for cloth.  I found new this huge dress with really thick cotton for for $1.  When I got it home I looked at the label and it said Laura Ashley, Made in England.  I've seen that brand before in stores and dresses can easily run $100.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »
L.L. bean still has thick cotton shirts, but they also sell the thinner shirts now too, which is disappointing.

I tend to buy clothes from Eddie Bauer, L. L. Bean and a few Old Navy things. 

I agree that women's clothes suck when it comes to pockets.  It's ridiculous.

P.S.  If you want your clothes to last longer, don't wash them as often.  I promise you, as long as you wear deodorant, you won't stink if you wash your shirts and pants every third time you wear them. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
I'm only basing my guesses on my own experience.  Also, for what it's worth, I am a man, although I frequently join my wife for shopping trips when they happen.  I tend to shop mostly at Macy's, LL Bean and Jos. A Bank.  I find that LL Bean has high quality stuff for men and women. Most Macy's clothes for men are good, and there are good clothes for women in amongst the racks and racks of junk.  Jos. A Bank is obviously a different situation.    I do agree about price, especially for jeans. My wife will easily spend $75 for a pair of jeans that are inferior to my $30 pair.

why are you going to stores... if you NEED something put an alert for it on slickdeals.net.  wait for a good price have it shipped to your door.  Yes you cant try it on but guess what you can order multiple sizes of differnt items and MOST stores let you return it to store for full refund.  been shopping this way for years.  only time i go to a store is to return what didnt fit. 

ALSO FYI - if Kohl's has a sale you can buy all the clearance crap you want.  then take it to the store and as long as the non clearanced crap price matches an article you want to buy you can do an even exchange.  super easy but the retail prices must be identical.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2015, 12:04:50 PM »

Just stop buying expensive cheaply made clothes! You like the durability of men clothes? BUY THEM and WEAR THEM. This is the only way to break the stereotypes and so called "pink tax".

You FIND them, and I'll buy them.  Men's clothes don't fit me my style.

FTFY.

They do fit you, you just don't like the "sleeves to knees" style. :)

Could it be that men's clothes are more rugged and cheaper because they can produce a lot more of the same and no one cares?  Conversely (mustachian women aside), women's clothing lines tend to be shorter, smaller runs of product due to fashion changes, and tend to encompass a wider variety of colors and styles.

YES!

There is no conspiracy against women clothing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »
If you want your clothes to last longer, don't wash them as often.  I promise you, as long as you wear deodorant, you won't stink if you wash your shirts and pants every third time you wear them.

My experience has been that drying stuff is much harder on it than anything else.  My clothing longevity improved significantly after we stopped using the dryer.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
On my days off work, only the dogs/horse/burros/chickens/ducks see me.

They appear to have no aversion to me wearing Carhartts.

Which is good, as they wear like iron: I doubt I'll have to buy many more in my lifetime.

Agree with whomever posted that the 'expectation' with women's clothing is that you'll throw it out (!!!!) next year when it goes out of style.

As if!

I wear Carhartts, too. All the women's pants I have purchased from them wear out within a calendar year. It's not just thinning fabric, either--we're talking fraying seams and holes. I'm on my feet a lot at work but what I do still qualifies as an "office job."

And I never use clothes dryers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:31:39 PM by Inkedup »

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »

FTFY.

If you can't pull up the pair of pants that matches your waist size over your butt & hips, I'd very much call that "not fitting." I mean, it's indecent not to pull your pants up!

For The_path_less_taken and Inkedup:

My husband tried buying Carhartts instead of Dickies a couple years ago. They're narrower in the leg and hips/butt, so they were restricting, and the fabric also wore out at the seams--dead in a year.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:51:05 PM by maco »

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »

FTFY.

If you can't pull up the pair of pants that matches your waist size over your butt & hips, I'd very much call that "not fitting." I mean, it's indecent not to pull your pants up!

Welcome to the world of cyclists. Upsize and get a belt.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
Upsize and get a belt.
You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding something here. Men's pants sometimes fit to a certain extent, but they are just *not* designed for women with substantial hips or butts. Which happens in women. Frequently. It's part of or frankly small sexual dimorphism from men.
What you are, in practice rather than theory, suggesting is wearing elephant pants that need 6 inches hemmed off and a belt with folds of extra fabric trapped under it because hip and waist inches are often quite, quite different.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but you really just don't seem to understand that.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Upsize and get a belt.
You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding something here. Men's pants sometimes fit to a certain extent, but they are just *not* designed for women with substantial hips or butts. Which happens in women. Frequently. It's part of or frankly small sexual dimorphism from men.
What you are, in practice rather than theory, suggesting is wearing elephant pants that need 6 inches hemmed off and a belt with folds of extra fabric trapped under it because hip and waist inches are often quite, quite different.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but you really just don't seem to understand that.

Agreed. I have found that it is easier to make my own trousers from scratch (simple design, side zip (no fly) and two LARGE side pockets in the seam, none at the back) than to buy a pair of men's trousers that fit at the hips and alter them to fit at the waist. There is about eight inches of fabric to remove, and once you get into that level of alteration you just run out of space between all the pockets. I can't just wear a belt because the waist is EIGHT TO TEN INCHES too big and I would end up spending the whole day adjusting them, pulling them up and fiddling with the extra fabric to make it comfortable.

I have bought XXL men's clothes in charity shops for the fabric, though. You do end up remaking it from scratch but it's actually hard to find a quality, thick, plain cotton fabric in the shops. You really have to search!

Kouhri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »

FTFY.

As a woman who struggles to fit into the woman's pants designed for curves because the ones I can squeeze my ass into have enough slack around the waist that I could probably do a fairly good kangaroo impression, men's pants are an impossibility. Apparently, would you believe, men don't have childbearing hips and it also seems that they are cut with the expectation of a flat ass. A men's pant with the correct waist dimension would be lucky to get much higher than mid thigh (with the zip down). Whereas something that will fit over my ass is shaped like an upside-down triangle and no belt in the world is going to help and the alterations far exceed my skill set.

So no. Men's pants not an option. Never going to fit. They either won't go on all the way... or would immediately fall off. Is it too much to ask for same priced same quality pants?

It's bullshit. And trying to call it anything else and pretending it's not a problem with the many comments to the effect of well just buy the horrendously expensive quality(ish) women's clothes or 'suck it up' just wear men's.  Your not solving the problem, just scooting around pretending it isn't the big issue that it really is.

Rant over

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2015, 04:07:16 PM »
L.L. bean still has thick cotton shirts, but they also sell the thinner shirts now too, which is disappointing.

I tend to buy clothes from Eddie Bauer, L. L. Bean and a few Old Navy things. 

I agree that women's clothes suck when it comes to pockets.  It's ridiculous.

P.S.  If you want your clothes to last longer, don't wash them as often.  I promise you, as long as you wear deodorant, you won't stink if you wash your shirts and pants every third time you wear them.

Umm, I like those thinner LL Bean shirts. I'm wearing one right now. It's very nice.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »

FTFY.

As a woman who struggles to fit into the woman's pants designed for curves because the ones I can squeeze my ass into have enough slack around the waist that I could probably do a fairly good kangaroo impression, men's pants are an impossibility. Apparently, would you believe, men don't have childbearing hips and it also seems that they are cut with the expectation of a flat ass. A men's pant with the correct waist dimension would be lucky to get much higher than mid thigh (with the zip down). Whereas something that will fit over my ass is shaped like an upside-down triangle and no belt in the world is going to help and the alterations far exceed my skill set.

So no. Men's pants not an option. Never going to fit. They either won't go on all the way... or would immediately fall off. Is it too much to ask for same priced same quality pants?

It's bullshit. And trying to call it anything else and pretending it's not a problem with the many comments to the effect of well just buy the horrendously expensive quality(ish) women's clothes or 'suck it up' just wear men's.  Your not solving the problem, just scooting around pretending it isn't the big issue that it really is.

Rant over

You literally just described a pair of pants that's harder to manufacture. So the pants you wear are not str8 and have curves. And you think that it should cost the same why ? 

Not saying this applies to all women's clothing but the pants you just described take more design and manufacturing time.

This is like an I want to be paid the same argument. When the national numbers quoted there include women who maybe took a few years off for their kids.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »

FTFY.

Rant over

You literally just described a pair of pants that's harder to manufacture. So the pants you wear are not str8 and have curves. And you think that it should cost the same why ? 

Not saying this applies to all women's clothing but the pants you just described take more design and manufacturing time.

This is like an I want to be paid the same argument. When the national numbers quoted there include women who maybe took a few years off for their kids.

Oh, now you've gone and done it. *fetches popcorn*

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »
This whole thing is just honestly confusing to me. Is Canada just totally different than the US in this regard? I bought a pair of dress pants for work for $33 last month to replace a pair that is over three years old, and the only reason I had to replace it at all was because I lost a significant amount of weight and it was a design that couldn't accommodate that. The pants I'm wearing right now are also three years old and in perfect shape still. The shirt I'm wearing right now is over seven years old and not showing any signs of wear. I can think of at least four or five stores off the top of my head that have local stores where I could easily find quality replacements for anything.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »

FTFY.

Rant over

Are peanuts ok?  I'm on a low carb diet

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2015, 04:28:01 PM »

FTFY.

Rant over

Are peanuts ok?  I'm on a low carb diet

I'll allow it.

Kouhri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »

FTFY.

Rant over

Fair enough. I definitely agree that straight up men's pants are simpler (it's even within the bounds of my sewing prowess! ) so maybe the cost difference is fair.

Still pisses me off the difference in quality and durability. Or maybe they only bother to import the crap stuff to NZ :(

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »

Even if everything was equal in quality etc your clothes would still COST more. WHY you may ask. Bc this is America and its capitalism. If you walk into a store and it has men's and women's clothing which section is bigger. The women's WHY bc you shop more than men and buy more clothes.

I'm not saying the women on here do.

If I'm a clothing manufacturer and I know you're gonna buy crap I put out in higher volume and lower quality for the same price. I'm going to manufacture cheap shit and charge you Barney's prices.

Cut the demand for cheap overpriced clothing you're complaining about and the supply will decrease bc that's how economics work.

Again not saying the women on this counter culture blog fit the stereo type. But guess what stereo types exist for a reason and its not bc there is just some dude in a corner typing up new ones every day like

"all Peruvians can shoot lazer beams out of their eyes"

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »
This whole thing is just honestly confusing to me. Is Canada just totally different than the US in this regard? I bought a pair of dress pants for work for $33 last month to replace a pair that is over three years old, and the only reason I had to replace it at all was because I lost a significant amount of weight and it was a design that couldn't accommodate that. The pants I'm wearing right now are also three years old and in perfect shape still. The shirt I'm wearing right now is over seven years old and not showing any signs of wear. I can think of at least four or five stores off the top of my head that have local stores where I could easily find quality replacements for anything.

I've discarded more clothes due to either size changes or changes in style/taste than true wear and tear. The last clothing items in my house to really start wearing out:

1. A hand me down baby sleeper that ripped on the seam. Fabric was too fragile to sew back up and it was free anyway, so forget it.
2. My husband's shoes. He's got an exotic shoe size, the only shoe that works is poor quality, and he just wears through multiple pairs a year.
3. My husband's winter coat is wearing out at the lower back from the fricton of his backpack, but I think we'll get a couple more years out of it.
4. My husband's Lands End pants that sprang holes. I just switched him to Duluth Trading pants.
5. Pantyhose, but I don't think you can expect fragile gauze hosiery to last under any circumstances.
6. My bras. Eventually the elastic wears and they lack the ability to hold things up properly.

The only clothes I can remember really killing dead before that were a couple Talbots cashmere cardigans, but shitty Chinese cashmere is shitty Chinese cashmere and it wears out on my husband too, which is part of why I no longer buy it. When I wore pants, I could wear through the inner thighs on a pair of jeans in a year, but my thighs rubbed together, which I think is less common in men anyway. But I never owned more than one pair of jeans at a go and I was wearing them 3+ times a week.

Higher quality clothing tends to feel nicer (ime Gap t-shirts tend to be softer than Old Navy, for instance), but really cheap stuff can last a surprisingly long time. I still am wearing Old Navy flannel PJ pants from high school and I graduated a decade ago.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »

Umm, I like those thinner LL Bean shirts. I'm wearing one right now. It's very nice.

I bought several llbean long sleeve Tshirts 25 years ago that are just now wearing out.  They were very thick (so I did not have to wear a bra).  Now the thin ones don't last at all. (And there is *not* an option of not wearing bra. Might as well be naked.)  I'd rather pay 4x as much for another 25 year LLBean shirt from the old days.  I think clothes should be made to last for decades.  Mine used to.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »

6. My bras. Eventually the elastic wears and they lack the ability to hold things up properly.
I blew $100 on a fancy local boutique bra place last year and have 0 regrets. Might be worth it? I wear that thing if not daily, then every other day, and it's going strong after some hard use for the last 1.5 years. The straps are thick and clearly designed to last, and I've had no underwire pop-outs or tears in any of the fabric. Even the elastic hasn't stretched that badly (and I can just tighten for awhile as it does).
I'm a 32DD, and support is... important. Nice undergarments that actually do what they're meant to and aren't made out of spider webs and hope is totally worth it imo.
Place I went to is local, but tiny little lingerie shops where they get you propperly fitted exist all over. Highly recommend.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »

I bought several llbean long sleeve Tshirts 25 years ago that are just now wearing out.  They were very thick (so I did not have to wear a bra).  Now the thin ones don't last at all. (And there is *not* an option of not wearing bra. Might as well be naked.)  I'd rather pay 4x as much for another 25 year LLBean shirt from the old days.  I think clothes should be made to last for decades.  Mine used to.

I remember Bean turtlenecks from my childhood (so, 20 years ago, not 25). Never liked them. The cotton was too thick and stood way from the body and was rather stuff, but I would not be surprised if they lasted decades had they not been outgrown. But judging by the prevalence of thinner garments, a lot of people either like them, or like the fact that they're cheaper since they use less material.

Clothing used to be much more expensive in real terms. I was looking at a Sears catalog from the fifties, and dresses for teenaged girls (so, not a demographic that's going to fit the garment for decades) ran $150-200 in today's dollars, and Sears was not a high end store. Relatively few people today have the ability or willingness to pay for BIFL quality in clothing, and it's unsurprising that relatively few manufacturers want to serve the demographic.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »

I blew $100 on a fancy local boutique bra place last year and have 0 regrets. Might be worth it? I wear that thing if not daily, then every other day, and it's going strong after some hard use for the last 1.5 years. The straps are thick and clearly designed to last, and I've had no underwire pop-outs or tears in any of the fabric. Even the elastic hasn't stretched that badly (and I can just tighten for awhile as it does).
I'm a 32DD, and support is... important. Nice undergarments that actually do what they're meant to and aren't made out of spider webs and hope is totally worth it imo.
Place I went to is local, but tiny little lingerie shops where they get you propperly fitted exist all over. Highly recommend.

I have one of those fancy bras for special occasions and it's great, but day to day I wear pullover merino bralettes  and I like those.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »
As someone who has made all her own clothes for many years, and has studied Fashion Design at a Tertiary Institution, I know men's clothes are just as difficult to sew as women's clothes if you are comparing like with like. Each has their problem areas.

I was a bit of an anomaly at the Fashion Design course, far older than them, and really not interested in the fashion industry (I was accepted as a mature age student when I retired), but I got a lot out of it. Some of the clothes I am still wearing were made more than twenty years ago, but these are all things that were hand made (either from craft shops or that I made myself) - except for the twenty-seven year old socks that I am still wearing.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2015, 04:55:31 PM »
As someone who has made all her own clothes for many years, and has studied Fashion Design at a Tertiary Institution, I know men's clothes are just as difficult to sew as women's clothes if you are comparing like with like. Each has their problem areas.

I was a bit of an anomaly at the Fashion Design course, far older than them, and really not interested in the fashion industry (I was accepted as a mature age student when I retired), but I got a lot out of it. Some of the clothes I am still wearing were made more than twenty years ago, but these are all things that were hand made (either from craft shops or that I made myself) - except for the twenty-seven year old socks that I am still wearing.
That's awesome! And some really useful insight. :)
Now you're making me want to check out and see if the tech college around here has any sewing/design classes. I'd love to learn to alter my own things or make fun and weird shit that no one would sell but that I desperately want...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2015, 05:12:22 PM »
Upsize and get a belt.

I have a gigantic ass and tiny waist.  Usually pants off the rack are about three or four inches too wide in the waist to be big enough to fit by ass.  Should I be buying women's pants?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2015, 05:16:08 PM »
Upsize and get a belt.

I have a gigantic ass and tiny waist.  Usually pants off the rack are about three or four inches too wide in the waist to be big enough to fit by ass.  Should I be buying women's pants?
Sure! Try some on! Women try on men's clothes all the time, and sometimes have success; I don't see any reason the reverse can't be true. If you don't want traditionally 'feminine' looking pants but that are still made for women, the general places people have already mentioned would be a good place to start (LLBean, etc.) that sell 'basic' clothes that are sometimes stylistically similar between ladies and fellas.
If you are very tall, I think you might have problems, but it doesn't hurt to give it a go. :)
Thing to watch out for: lack of pockets.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2015, 05:30:41 PM »

FTFY.

Rant over
I'm skirts-only at this point, but I remember thinking the real solution to waist:hip ratios is to have more than one fly. Broadfall pants would be perfect for women's hips, because they can open way wider than single-fly pants. Alternatively, hakama. And today I found out there's a Japanese company making "chinobakama" or pants that are hakama at the waist and chinos (khakis) from the knee down.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
I was a teenager during the 90s when baggy jeans were in.  Hakamas don't even look baggy to me.  :P

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
I forgot to rant about the complete lack of high-visibility safety clothes for women. For the last two years, I couldn't find that hi-vis green color in women's clothes for biking. I have a lot of bike shirts for 14 year old boys.  :(

This year, finally it exists. But I still can't get things like the craftsman hi-vis sweatshirt with reflector stripes. They don't make it for women, and they don't make a men's small. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-reflective-sweatshirt/p-041M0501000P

Carhartt only makes them for giants: http://www.supercasuals.com/Carhartt/Carhartt_100503.cfm

There's an online retailer I found, but I don't want to spend 50 bucks on something without trying it on. In the meantime, I have a crappy little $3 one size fits all vest that's like a cross between a bib and a sandwich board to throw over my black winter jacket for biking at night, but because there's no front zipper it's a pain when I need to zip/unzip my coat below it as I alternate between freezing and overheating on my rides.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
I forgot to rant about the complete lack of high-visibility safety clothes for women. For the last two years, I couldn't find that hi-vis green color in women's clothes for biking. I have a lot of bike shirts for 14 year old boys.  :(

This year, finally it exists. But I still can't get things like the craftsman hi-vis sweatshirt with reflector stripes. They don't make it for women, and they don't make a men's small. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-reflective-sweatshirt/p-041M0501000P

Carhartt only makes them for giants: http://www.supercasuals.com/Carhartt/Carhartt_100503.cfm

There's an online retailer I found, but I don't want to spend 50 bucks on something without trying it on. In the meantime, I have a crappy little $3 one size fits all vest that's like a cross between a bib and a sandwich board to throw over my black winter jacket for biking at night, but because there's no front zipper it's a pain when I need to zip/unzip my coat below it as I alternate between freezing and overheating on my rides.
I work for a construction company; we go through a shit ton of hi-vis. I'll check out which store we use as a company-sponsored clothier (I know it's not Sears but can't remember off the top of my head) and let you know if they have decent women's options for the hi-vis hoodies!

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
OMG YES POCKETS.
How hard would it be to put pockets in dresses? Come on designers, you can do it!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 12:38:50 AM »

I was going to post this too. Talking specifically about trousers, I think they are equally hard to make I you're trying to make what one can buy in a shop (I.e. Not my custom simplified design). Men's trousers have way more "fixtures and fittings" (POCKETS!!!) and I find the crotch/fly harder to get right. However, the curve of the hips and waist darts are slightly harder for women. I disagree that there would be any difference in manufacturing time if you made a women's version of men's chinos (possibly ten seconds on a factory line to put in longer darts but as you're paying your workers peanuts, ten seconds is only a tiny fraction of a peanut), and there would possibly be a slight increase in design time initially as the designers worked out how to cut for women. Nothing earth- or price-shattering.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 12:41:16 AM »
OMG YES POCKETS.
How hard would it be to put pockets in dresses? Come on designers, you can do it!

The few times I buy clothing in a real shop, I have started trying things on and then giving them to the shop assistant in the fitting rooms saying "They're quite nice but they don't have any pockets" in the hope that one day the message will get through. If I do actually like something I consider whether I could put pockets in it. Dresses/skirts, I guess so. Trousers too hard.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2015, 03:38:28 AM »
I think men's clothes are defnitely of a higher quality than women's clothing. My husband has tops from 20 years ago that admittedly are faded from washing, but they are still wearable.

I used to buy the more fancy embroidered white men's dress shirts from charity shops and wear them with jeans as a teenager.:D

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2015, 05:43:49 AM »
I think men's clothes are defnitely of a higher quality than women's clothing. My husband has tops from 20 years ago that admittedly are faded from washing, but they are still wearable.

I used to buy the more fancy embroidered white men's dress shirts from charity shops and wear them with jeans as a teenager.:D

Hell, I have a Tshirt from 1982 that I wear semi-regularly. Admittedly in very...marginal... condition, but it was free (secondhand) about 1990. I only know the date because it's an event shirt with the date printed on it ;)

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2015, 06:50:03 AM »
I have boys jeans from before my pregnancy (about five years old) that are in better condition than women's jeans that I bought this year.  Both new but the boy's jeans were $15 and the women's $40. I'd be fine paying more for the extra work of women's pants if they lasted as long as men's.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2015, 07:08:59 AM »
Upsize and get a belt.

Ok, I think I get it now. You don't like the style of men pants on you.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2015, 07:11:15 AM »
Upsize and get a belt.

No, I don't like that I can have pants that fit properly and last.  How about you put on a pair of pants from the women's department and see how it fits you?

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:18 AM »

Hell, I have a Tshirt from 1982 that I wear semi-regularly. Admittedly in very...marginal... condition, but it was free (secondhand) about 1990. I only know the date because it's an event shirt with the date printed on it ;)

Haha, nothing wrong with that.:)

I was inspired to buy some men's clothes today after reading this. I was buying a Christmas present and thought I would buy myself some men's pyjama shorts as the ones I had acquired holes in the crotch! Hopefully these will last longer.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2015, 07:34:28 AM »
Upsize and get a belt.

No, I don't like that I can have pants that fit properly and last.  How about you put on a pair of pants from the women's department and see how it fits you?

Does a tiny mouse fit in a human sized doorway? Yes, it does.

Is the doorway style appropriate for the mouse? No, it is way too big ( unless the mouse is really into "jack and the beanstalk" style).

Before this goes much further, let me just say that I was being facetious since the beginning as indicated by the smiley faces. I find the "persecution" mindset pretty funny given that most clothes are designed by women and for women. This is capitalism, the market offers what the consumers want. Stop buying crappy clothes and they will cease to be economically viable.... Or wear men's clothes :D

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2015, 07:55:43 AM »
The "persecution" mindset?
Dude, we're just explaining why some things don't work and why some things suck (and why some of your 'alternatives' are not always viable) and you're being a little belligerent about it. That is not "crying persecution" in any sense of the word. o_O; You have some fair points (it IS a capitalist system and our dollars ARE capitalism points) and I'm not undervaluing that. But what you are doing is being dismissive.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2015, 08:16:52 AM »

I have a shirt from my dad that he bought when he was in college.  It's been worn thin from so many washings and there's a small hole by my right shoulder blade, but it's otherwise holding up just fine.  It's actually the softest, most comfy shirt I have.  I'd guess it's around 32-33 years old.

I was inspired to buy some men's clothes today after reading this. I was buying a Christmas present and thought I would buy myself some men's pyjama shorts as the ones I had acquired holes in the crotch! Hopefully these will last longer.
My lady friend occasionally wears men's boxers to bed, so technically a lot of her pants have holes in the crotch.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »

I have a shirt from my dad that he bought when he was in college.  It's been worn thin from so many washings and there's a small hole by my right shoulder blade, but it's otherwise holding up just fine.  It's actually the softest, most comfy shirt I have.  I'd guess it's around 32-33 years old.

My lady friend occasionally wears men's boxers to bed, so technically a lot of her pants have holes in the crotch.

sounds like a win for you.