Author Topic: Are FIRE proponents more aware of their own mortality  (Read 3491 times)

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
Are FIRE proponents more aware of their own mortality
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »
One of the basic tenants of FIRE is planning until your end of life - making your 'stache as self perpetuating as possible so that you'll shuffle off this mortal coil with at least $.01 left in the bank and hopefully a lot more to leave for future generations, charity, etc.

Do you think this makes us more prone to ponder our own mortality? I mean, we're essentially looking the reaper in the face when we plan for 30-60 years of living off our money - because the end goal is to not die insolvent, right? Or do we suffer the same tendency as everyone else to shrug of that ending point as something so far way it's not worth thinking about?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: Are FIRE proponents more aware of their own mortality
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:38:04 AM »
What a fun topic!

I'm definitely hyperaware of my mortality. I'm always aware I "might die in four seconds" or "at this upcoming bend in the road." It's not depressive for me; it's intriguing and trippy and leaves me highly valuing my life and others' lives from moment to moment. It also, yes, prompts me to ensure I have a will in place, plans for my child's care, etc.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
I had a rare form of cancer when I was 22. THAT's what made me aware of my own mortality and lead to the dream of FIRE. The cancer had a "propensity to recur", so I made sure to enjoy the journey and celebrate all the good things along the way. I live in a very HCOLA, and MMM didn't exist then to show me how, so it took way too long. I finally got to FIRE, but I also traveled to the weddings and to see the babies and a good part of the world. I bought nice homes, clothes and generally looked to an outsider as if I was spending everything I earned, but I secretly wasn't.

Best of both worlds, IMO.

Last weekend was my 41st HS reunion. What a hoot! There sure were a lot of old people there, lol.

Finally, to answer your question more specifically, no. On any given day, I cannot imagine exactly what life's going to look like in the future or when I'll get to the end. I just rest easy knowing I'll have enough money to handle whatever it is, whenever it happens.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »
I am with Spartana on this one. Awareness of my mortality is why I sought FIRE, not the other way around. And I am hyper aware due to the family cancer history. I am also aware that disabilities can come at any age with increasing likelihood as you age. So doing things while still young is very important and achieving financial independence while still young is important to avoid loss of income when you need it most.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:27:33 AM »
Very good point DeskJockey2028, I think you are completely right in that tought.

And not just your own mortality, but for your family aswell. Before finding out that FIRE is possible, the thought of inheritance was something I avoided at all cost. We stand to inherit decent sums from two persons, but it is two persons that is very dear to us. Their deaths will both be disasters, no way around it. Now I calculate on FIRE a lot, and not adding in the inheritances, atleast as a side note, would be misleading.

It's most likely good for me, having to face that them dying will happen, it's just a matter of time. I still consider having to face this the biggest disadvantage with mustachianism.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 05:02:57 AM »
When I go to the grocery store on a week day morning I see all the really old folks shopping....and that's when I think about my health, mortality and the future. 

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
When considered appropriately, contemplating our mortality and the short time we have on this planet can lead us to making much better decisions. At least, that is what I think :)

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »
Due to my medical conditions, the "average" reduction in life expectancy for people like me is about 10-15 years compared to the average population. So with males in the US having a life expectancy around 79, that puts me in my mid to late 60's if I'm "average". It's one of the primary factors driving me towards FIRE.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:16:29 PM »
My impression of the Mustache community is that they're more aware of their mortality than most of their neighbors. Possibly tending a little to gloss over the loss of physical and cognitive abilities that typically comes in the years before death -- but presumably when the time comes to get serious about that, they'll be more prepared than their neighbors to think about that one, and plan for it, too.

The first hump to get over is the superstition that thinking about things and planning for them makes them happen. Get over that hump once, you can get over it again.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
When considered appropriately, contemplating our mortality and the short time we have on this planet can lead us to making much better decisions. At least, that is what I think :)
Damn, you're a wise old soul, especially if you're not yet 35, as your handle implies. Good for you!
Oh, wait! Maybe you've hit FIRE...IDK. If so, have another heaping helping of kudos from me!

Due to my medical conditions, the "average" reduction in life expectancy for people like me is about 10-15 years compared to the average population. So with males in the US having a life expectancy around 79, that puts me in my mid to late 60's if I'm "average". It's one of the primary factors driving me towards FIRE.
Oh, I am sorry you have to face this! I hope you get to FIRE with plenty of time to spare. I further hope your self awareness, good self-care, and advances in medical care will propel you easily past the standard life expectancy charts.

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 07:23:57 AM »
Damn, you're a wise old soul, especially if you're not yet 35, as your handle implies. Good for you!
Oh, wait! Maybe you've hit FIRE...IDK. If so, have another heaping helping of kudos from me!

Oh, I am sorry you have to face this! I hope you get to FIRE with plenty of time to spare. I further hope your self awareness, good self-care, and advances in medical care will propel you easily past the standard life expectancy charts.

Thanks Dicey. I'm 32 and I'll take your comment as a signal that I'm on the right track!

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
I think it's more likely that  being more aware of your mortality (and future old age infirmities) is what makes many of us more aware of FI and especially RE. And what spurs many of us to reach FIRE asap.  If I've only got a few more decades left on this planet (and even fewer in youth and good health) I sure as hell want to be doing what I want to be doing with that time.

+1.

I've got about 400,000 hours left. I'd prefer to keep as many of those hours for my own purposes, rather than sell them.