Author Topic: Anyone wanting to try other jobs after FI?  (Read 30828 times)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Re: Anyone wanting to try other jobs after FI?
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2016, 07:52:43 AM »
@TexasBrit - my MIL did that!

Once the oldest two kids were through college and the youngest was well into high school she went out and became a flight attendant. If you can deal with the crazy schedules and the physical labor it seems to be an awesome transition to retirement type of job.

My MIL takes furloughs whenever they are offered which means she gets to keep her benefits (cheap, amazing health insurance) but doesn't work. She and my FIL also get to fly for free so whenever she gets a month off they take trips to crazy places that could never otherwise afford (pro tip - first class to Western Europe is always full but they can usually land first class seats to anywhere in Eastern Europe, Asia or the Middle East quite easily). In the last few years they've taken trips to China, Dubai, Poland, and Turkey/Morocco. She's been doing this almost 20 years now and hopes to be able to keep it up until she hits 70 (she's 65).

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2016, 05:36:58 PM »
@TexasBrit - my MIL did that!

Once the oldest two kids were through college and the youngest was well into high school she went out and became a flight attendant. If you can deal with the crazy schedules and the physical labor it seems to be an awesome transition to retirement type of job.

My MIL takes furloughs whenever they are offered which means she gets to keep her benefits (cheap, amazing health insurance) but doesn't work. She and my FIL also get to fly for free so whenever she gets a month off they take trips to crazy places that could never otherwise afford (pro tip - first class to Western Europe is always full but they can usually land first class seats to anywhere in Eastern Europe, Asia or the Middle East quite easily). In the last few years they've taken trips to China, Dubai, Poland, and Turkey/Morocco. She's been doing this almost 20 years now and hopes to be able to keep it up until she hits 70 (she's 65).

Wow! Sounds amazing! Now I'm really itching to FIRE. Thanks for the extra motivation!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2016, 05:51:58 PM »
I'd love to teach personal finance and basic investing (whether that's a paying job or not).  I get a lot of enjoyment helping out folks here on the site and in the workplace.  I'm hardly an expert, but I think I've been around enough to teach budgeting and how to establish a simple portfolio.  In my line of work there are lots of young salaried folks with minimal guidance on how to financially plan ahead and I help out wherever I can.

Lnspilot

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2016, 10:16:11 PM »
I'd love to teach the things that have given me so much joy over the years: Paragliding, snowboarding, radio controlled aircraft

Any of those things would likely be more fulfilling than my actual job.

This definitely gets me thinking.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
I am seriously considering vet school and then specifically exotic animals so that I can either work at a zoo and/or animal sanctuaries around the world.

Yes, I really want to work in a zoo! I've always loved nature and animals and would like to try being a zookeeper. I think they make less than $30K, so FI would be needed.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2016, 12:29:04 AM »
There's a couple of things I'd like to pursue that I just don't have the time and money for yet (gotta keep paying the bills)

- Watchmaker / repairer (to me it has an air of tranquility and craftsmanship that I love)
- Wine buying / selling (which could come with the added bonus of travel and taking up learning Italian again)
- Something with animals (lizards / rodents) maybe
- Professional classic car restoration (although it would take years of training, I basically want Wayne Carini's job)

Until I have the financial means though I'm glad I enjoy my day job and the relative freedom well enough.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2020, 06:47:37 AM »
Too many jobs to try: somelier, electronic technician, analog signal engineer, photographer, audio/sound engineer, venture capitalist. These are just the ones off the top of my head. I need 2 lifetimes considering it takes about 10yrs for one to get to be an expert; I still have 5-8 yrs to go in my current job/career/calling.
Lol..This is golden. I am actually doing one of the things on this list for real now. I suppose I shouldn't complain about the extra work I am doing.

PurpleYogurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2020, 07:11:08 AM »
Yes I did want to try a completely different job and I did!

I was an office manager for most of my working life, after I retired and moved across the country I was bored. I wanted a simple job where taking time off wouldn't be an issue. I decided to be a cashier at a "healthy grocery store". I kind of liked it and slowly became good at it. I had no idea I'd have to memorize the produce codes, bulk codes etc, that was the worst part of the job. Then business slowed down and our hours were cut. The pay wasn't worth the commute most days. I lasted six months.

Now I'm considering being a helper to seniors in their homes. I'd also like to work with animals. The only thing that holds me back is taking time off whenever I need to.

**yikes, just noticed - talk about a zombie post.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:18:33 AM by PurpleYogurt »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »
Yes! I have wanted to teach for a long time. The teaching pay in my state was abysmal and we couldn't really afford for me to take the paycut. I make OK money (but nothing insane) and I could work  as a teacher for 35 years and never match what I make now. Crazy!

My plan is to keep in my tech sector (if possible) until my youngest starts highschool in 12 years. Then I'll go back to school and be ready to start my teaching when she goes to college. It will be my empty nest transition project. If I hate it then I'll still be financially independent and can just quit. My husband is a college professor and wants to work until they force him to retire in his dotage :)

I'm similar.  When I first moved to Italy I worked as and English teacher for a few months.  I taught adults in one on one groups and actually really enjoyed it.  It then found a job in my high stress field that pays a lot more and has good benefits and job security.  So my idea is to go back to a bit of part time English teaching after FIRE.  Only problem is that my other passion is travel so I'd like to me able to take lots of time off without leaving students in the lurch. 

ETA - just noticed that this is a zombie post but it's kind of a good topic.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2020, 07:52:18 AM »
I'm note sure I'm FIREd yet, more like on a sabbathical... but I have considered if my next gig would be something like IT support for individuals and smaller companies, perhaps in the rural community where my parents live. I guess it will never be highly profitable, but sooo many people are really clueless about IT and given the growing security threats out there on the Interwebs it's more of a service to the community.   And if it's a way for someone to keep using a PC for another year or three by a component upgrade, software cleanup or a plain reinstall, it can be considered an environmental advantage too.

+ a way to start a company that has a reason to buy tech toys with company money. :)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2020, 02:16:55 PM »
I want to be an usher/ticket taker at the local theatre.  Short hours, and you get to see the shows for free.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!