Author Topic: Anyone tried to "quit" being a car enthusiast?  (Read 11272 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone tried to "quit" being a car enthusiast?
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »
To the above comment.

A 1000cc crotch rocket has that feeling in indescribable amounts.  Most people never experience it but once you do everything seems so slow.  Unfortunately they also will kill you rather quickly.  So I don't ride any more. I still love that sound of an engine screaming up to 10k plus rpm.

As far as luxury value goes - I've found Infiniti to be a really good brand used. They sell lower than acura and lexus and are still decent. You also never hear of any transmission problems or any issues with their V6 engines.

Miata is awesome in the curves, but I didn't enjoy driving it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2021, 09:10:37 AM »
To the above comment.

A 1000cc crotch rocket has that feeling in indescribable amounts.  Most people never experience it but once you do everything seems so slow.  Unfortunately they also will kill you rather quickly.  So I don't ride any more. I still love that sound of an engine screaming up to 10k plus rpm.

As far as luxury value goes - I've found Infiniti to be a really good brand used. They sell lower than acura and lexus and are still decent. You also never hear of any transmission problems or any issues with their V6 engines.

I far preferred driving the RX7 and RX8 to the Miata, but fuck, with that absolute garbage fuel efficiency, why bother?

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2021, 09:58:19 AM »
To the above comment.

I far preferred driving the RX7 and RX8 to the Miata, but fuck, with that absolute garbage fuel efficiency, why bother?

Because what other engine can scream to 10k+ RPM comfortably!?   I cant believe I forgot to mention it.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »
I miss the days when I passed up a Hemi Barracuda because, "Who in their right mind would pay $4500 for an old muscle car?"    $1500 for a big block Challenger . . . LOL! 

I have now been priced out of older muscle cars.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2021, 11:27:01 AM »
To the above comment.

I've resisted crotch rockets because I didn't trust my throttle hand.  Now that I'm older I finally decided to give one a try.  I never liked the hunched over seating position of a race bike, but the BMW S1000XR has the 12,000 rpm 160 Hp (which is detuned from the 200 Hp race version), so I picked one up last November.  It's really fast and sounds incredible, but I'm not 100% sure that it's the "right" bike for me.  The majority of my street riding is on the NC/TN mountain twisty backroads which are probably better suited to a supermoto.  Maybe I'll try one of those & keep whichever wins my heart.  There's a Husky dealer a couple of miles away & I'm sure he'd love to send me home with a 701.  :)

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2021, 11:40:12 AM »
If you're thinking of a bike, then try a honda grom. 125cc and tiny, the sort of bike that takes a lot of effort to get to move quick, and only a second of distraction to loose that hard won speed.

hold their value really well, do 100mpg, just generally brilliant

dmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
I started out with a couple of Corvettes, my first one was a 66, my second was a 86.  Then I got into old Porsche 911, I had 5 1969-1973.  I tried to not pay to much, kept them for a while and they were in better shape when I sold them, all for more than I had in them.  Much cheaper than your everyday cars that are basically worth nothing after a few years.

Then I got the airplane bug and sold my 911s for a plane.  Owned it for 8 years and sold it due to the wife getting scared during a trip.

I did keep a Boxster, but sold it for a new Jeep Wrangler.  I needed something a little more practical.

Now I have a boat, it’s always something.

I probably won’t buy anymore fun cars, but I may get a fun plane. 

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2021, 05:07:31 PM »
I still love that sound of an engine screaming up to 10k plus rpm.

High revving engines should be celebrated. Even before emissions requirements came in, they were far too rare.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2021, 05:31:44 PM »

High revving engines should be celebrated. Even before emissions requirements came in, they were far too rare.

The upcoming GMA (Gordon Murray Automotive) T.50 is going to have a V12 with a 12.1k RPM redline. In neutral it can rev from idle to redline in less than half a second. Extremely unique for a street car.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2021, 05:32:25 PM »
I started out with a couple of Corvettes, my first one was a 66, my second was a 86.  Then I got into old Porsche 911, I had 5 1969-1973.  I tried to not pay to much, kept them for a while and they were in better shape when I sold them, all for more than I had in them.  Much cheaper than your everyday cars that are basically worth nothing after a few years.

Then I got the airplane bug and sold my 911s for a plane.  Owned it for 8 years and sold it due to the wife getting scared during a trip.

I did keep a Boxster, but sold it for a new Jeep Wrangler.  I needed something a little more practical.

What types of planes appeal to you?  I've been looking are amphibian planes and think a Lake Buccaneer would be a lot of fun.  They seem to be relatively affordable considering that they're amphibious.  I soloed years ago when I was a teen, but never got licensed, so I'm planning to do that after getting vaccinated. 

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2021, 07:08:38 PM »

The upcoming GMA (Gordon Murray Automotive) T.50 is going to have a V12 with a 12.1k RPM redline. In neutral it can rev from idle to redline in less than half a second. Extremely unique for a street car.

Oh yes, my god, that car is delicious. It's obviously out of my price range, but it's such a work of art.

It's sad that engine sweep (moment of inertia) isn't a more standardised measure...because it really characterises a good engine. One that goes up and down quickly and cleanly.

I timed my current car (which is very similar to yours, RWD!) and it was about half a second from 4500 to 7800 which is still pretty good by road car standards. Half a sec from 2000 to 12000 is immense.

dmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2021, 04:41:38 AM »

What types of planes appeal to you?  I've been looking are amphibian planes and think a Lake Buccaneer would be a lot of fun.  They seem to be relatively affordable considering that they're amphibious.  I soloed years ago when I was a teen, but never got licensed, so I'm planning to do that after getting vaccinated.

Looking at the Vans RV’s, or maybe a older tail dragger like a Cessna 170.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:51:01 AM by dmc »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2021, 06:00:47 AM »
To the above comment.

Because what other engine can scream to 10k+ RPM comfortably!?   I cant believe I forgot to mention it.

Um, because gas is very expensive in Canada, and that stupid car drank gas like an airplane.

It's a very neat car, but not the best option to own.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2021, 06:02:08 AM »
So are there any former car enthusiasts on the board?  How did you quit?

I traded one addiction in for another (sorry, late to the party- but I'll add my $0.02)

I lived and breathed rally for many, many years and had the credit card balances to prove it.  I consider myself among the elite of car guys as once in a great while, I get to sign the *back* of a check for doing something car related.

But in my early thirties when it was clear cars weren't doing shit for my health I decided to give bicycling a try. At the time cyclocross  was taking off and gravel road racing was just getting started. Both checked all the same boxes as rally for me.  Adventure, endurance, adversity, camaraderie, and a technical machine to geek out on.   

From there on in, bicycles started infiltrating other parts of my life- touring, commuting, mountain biking.

Eventually got rid of my WRX (OK, more or less wore it out) and got myself a wait for it....

...base model tacoma.  :D

Did make sure to get a manual transmission in it though. 

At this point, bicycles have pretty much taken over. And honestly, I find them way way more fun than cars. The people involved are a lot more fun too.  People tend to get themselves a little too wrapped up in their cars, both financially and emotionally and sometimes that makes them not a lot of fun to be around.   

Hope that helps some. 

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2021, 01:07:32 PM »
Oh, heavens yes! I am currently in a "heart versus mind" debate right now. Fortunately, the mind is still winning.

What helped was quitting the blogs and shows, including Top Gear. That said, I'm trying to push away thoughts of a Tesla. Check in next year. 

Good luck.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »
I'm actually shopping around for a mini van. 

My how my priorities have changed lol.  I don't even have kids!  But a van checks so many utility boxes lol.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2021, 05:09:56 PM »

My how my priorities have changed lol.  I don't even have kids!  But a van checks so many utility boxes lol.

Vans rock.  Really useful and versatile.  Fortunately, they are "un-cool" which translates to "very affordable" on the used car market. 

Btw, some of the Toyota Siennas have recliner type middle row seats, with a fold out foot rest like a La-z-boy!  Who needs a bed?!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2021, 06:09:05 PM »

Fortunately, they are "un-cool"

Unless he gets the Delica bite. Mine is a 1995 model, same as this one that my road-trippers buddies Alex and Michaela took on their trip around the world. Turbo Diesel, 4x4, 8-seater soccer mom van with low-range gears and the same central differential lock used in all Mitsubishi four-wheel drives. The pleasure I get when I drive it, whether off-road or on my trans-continental adventures is priceless...on the downside, the cost of maintenance and repairs on a 25-year old vehicle is far from being priceless...

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2021, 06:32:52 PM »

Vans rock.  Really useful and versatile.  Fortunately, they are "un-cool" which translates to "very affordable" on the used car market. 

Btw, some of the Toyota Siennas have recliner type middle row seats, with a fold out foot rest like a La-z-boy!  Who needs a bed?!
. Have you seen this ambulance conversion. Pretty cool! https://youtu.be/ouWScgeA8u4
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:39:23 PM by partgypsy »

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2021, 06:33:42 AM »
So are there any former car enthusiasts on the board?  How did you quit?

I traded one addiction in for another (sorry, late to the party- but I'll add my $0.02)

I lived and breathed rally for many, many years and had the credit card balances to prove it.  I consider myself among the elite of car guys as once in a great while, I get to sign the *back* of a check for doing something car related.

But in my early thirties when it was clear cars weren't doing shit for my health I decided to give bicycling a try. At the time cyclocross  was taking off and gravel road racing was just getting started. Both checked all the same boxes as rally for me.  Adventure, endurance, adversity, camaraderie, and a technical machine to geek out on.   

From there on in, bicycles started infiltrating other parts of my life- touring, commuting, mountain biking.

Eventually got rid of my WRX (OK, more or less wore it out) and got myself a wait for it....

...base model tacoma.  :D

Did make sure to get a manual transmission in it though. 

At this point, bicycles have pretty much taken over. And honestly, I find them way way more fun than cars. The people involved are a lot more fun too.  People tend to get themselves a little too wrapped up in their cars, both financially and emotionally and sometimes that makes them not a lot of fun to be around.   

Hope that helps some.

FWIW, I have raced bikes for almost as long as I've been into cars.  Started on the road, got into mountain bikes in college because collegiate mtb race weekends were hilariously fun, then cyclocross in ~2010ish.  I think that cycling kept my car addiction at bay for a bit but I hurt my knee in 2015 and my bike mileage dropped WAY off and my car addiction swelled again.  I'm mostly recovered knee-wise, but when you take a break that long its hard to recapture that rhythm and claw back the time required to be halfway decent at riding again. 

Financially, its possible to spend an incredible amount of money on cycling, and the price floor, which used to be pocket-change cheap, has started to rise.  Its probably cheaper than privateer rallying (which is probably the motorsport I would launch headlong into if I suddenly became a billionaire or 9 figure-aire) but bicycles have gotten stomach-turningly expensive lately.  People are FINANCING bicycles now.  FINANCING.  Like a car.  Nuts. 

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2021, 08:39:03 AM »
To the OP: yes, I've tried and failed.  Although I've made a little progress.

I had a 335i manual up until late last year (with your aforementioned wonderful BMW 3.0 inline 6, but turbocharged).  I loved that car, so incredibly smooth and powerful for a smaller sedan.  But it was just sitting in the garage because of covid; any time I went out I took my daily driver. 

So, I ended up consolidating my fleet and buying a used Ford Edge Sport.  It's not as fast or nimble as the BMW, but it is ridiculously fast for a midsized crossover, while still being very nice on the inside.  I can, and do, still drift in the snow with it.  I've surprised many at stoplights as it is just a beast.  At the same time, it's very spacious and far more practical for everyday use.

It doesn't quite scratch the itch that the BMW did, but it's close.  The practicality makes up for it.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2021, 09:40:35 AM »
Other than minivans and high revving engines ...

My third and least mustachian car addiction is performance oriented SUVs.   Nothing mustachian about it.  High fuel cost, high purchase cost, high repair cost....     It's almost an oxymoron to look for SUVs that do 0.9g or higher on the skidpad.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2021, 09:51:13 AM »
It's almost an oxymoron to look for SUVs that do 0.9g or higher on the skidpad.
Setting aside the ridiculously expensive Lamborghini Urus (1.02g!) I imagine there are hardly any. I guess there is the Porsche Macan and Audi SQ5. Any others? Though skidpad numbers often come down to how sticky of tires are mounted. I feel slalom numbers tend to better demonstrate the vehicle's handling ability.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2021, 11:29:45 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for an enthusiast vehicle that can fit 4 people for around $25k? As in, if you, as a mustachian, wanted to feed the vehicle fix need in your soul and transport 4 people, what would you buy? I found you can buy a 6 year old maserati sedan for ~$25k, or a porsche Cayenne for similar or less. Any type of car, just curious what folks would want

if i had no budget i would love to do a restoration of a ~1996 4 door F-350 to make it a 2021 technology truck.

i drive a 2010 mazda 3 hatchback that has some zoom zoom so it makes driving fun at least

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2021, 11:55:23 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for an enthusiast vehicle that can fit 4 people for around $25k? As in, if you, as a mustachian, wanted to feed the vehicle fix need in your soul and transport 4 people, what would you buy? I found you can buy a 6 year old maserati sedan for ~$25k, or a porsche Cayenne for similar or less. Any type of car, just curious what folks would want
I ended up buying a 2016 VW Golf R for this purpose. Comfortably seats 4 adults plus 22.8 cu ft of luggage. Practical hatchback form factor. 30 mpg highway. 300 horsepower, AWD, and manual transmission (dual clutch auto also available) makes it a ton of fun. The Golf R is also upscale compared to normal VWs and the interior is more like an Audi (heated leather seats, for example). I paid ~$18k for mine but it had really high miles and isn't in the best cosmetic shape. I'd expect to be able to get a really nice one for sub-$25k.

Stay away from the Maseratis, absolute money pits. The Cayenne is fine but it's not going to be particularly sporty (Macan is better, but not as much space as the Golf despite being much taller).

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
It's almost an oxymoron to look for SUVs that do 0.9g or higher on the skidpad.
Setting aside the ridiculously expensive Lamborghini Urus (1.02g!) I imagine there are hardly any. I guess there is the Porsche Macan and Audi SQ5. Any others? Though skidpad numbers often come down to how sticky of tires are mounted. I feel slalom numbers tend to better demonstrate the vehicle's handling ability.

I thought maybe the Durango SRT or Jeep Trackhawk would be there, but not quite.  Seems they can only manage 0.88/0.89.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2021, 12:15:31 PM »
I'm not a car person. I don't get it. But, you do you. Why would you quit something that brings you joy? All you need to do is quit spending money on it, or greatly reduce the money spent. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy yourself.

Examples:
Car shows (free or inexpensive) - there's a small car show every year in my small town. Is it the high end cars? Nope. But if you like 60s/70s cars, you'll enjoy yourself. Free I believe, or might be part of the entrance fee for the broader event. Also, there's a diner in my area that for whatever reason attracts the car people, so they'll hang out in the parking lot. Cost is a meal to be polite. I'm sure there's other stuff, but I don't care about cars so I have no clue.
Magazines (free at the library)
Car talks/discussion - I'm sure there's tons of podcasts, youtube channels, etc. Free or inexpensive
Books about cars (free at the library)

If you make friends who do have the cars, then you can maybe drive the car sometimes, help work on it, etc. Kinda like friends with boats.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »

if i had no budget i would love to do a restoration of a ~1996 4 door F-350 to make it a 2021 technology truck.

i drive a 2010 mazda 3 hatchback that has some zoom zoom so it makes driving fun at least

I think a brand new base Subaru WRX lists for not much more than $25k.  You'll be hard pressed to find a sports sedan that gives you more performance per dollar and you'll still have the kind of reliability generally associated with Japanese cars. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2021, 02:34:10 PM »

I think a brand new base Subaru WRX lists for not much more than $25k.  You'll be hard pressed to find a sports sedan that gives you more performance per dollar and you'll still have the kind of reliability generally associated with Japanese cars.

I like Subarus (have owned three) but their reliability is actually below average:
http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Subaru.html

Some other thoughts are the Lexus GS, Porsche Panamera, Audi A6, Chevy SS.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2021, 02:41:52 PM »
I was going to recommend the Ford Focus RS as a WRX alternative for someone wanting to go full boy racer but I couldn't find one for sale under $25k. I guess they must have gotten the head gasket issue sorted out.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2021, 04:07:39 PM »
As a mechanic who will never be able to quit being a car enthusiast, It's very interesting to see what sort of car is considered 'reliable' in the U.S. as compared to Australia....

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2021, 08:28:32 PM »

What's a Kia Stinger worth over there? The six pot ones seem like they'd be a decent option.

Otherwise there's the hot hatch choices.

As a mechanic who will never be able to quit being a car enthusiast, It's very interesting to see what sort of car is considered 'reliable' in the U.S. as compared to Australia....

I wonder what metrics are used? Here in Australia it seems that recalls are only for safety issues, but I get the impression that they recall a car for anything and everything in the US.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2021, 08:43:18 PM »

What's a Kia Stinger worth over there? The six pot ones seem like they'd be a decent option.

The 2018-2019 4-cylinder base Stinger (252 hp) can be had for under $25k. The 6-cylinder ones (365 hp) are going to be a little more (~$30k looks reasonable).

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2021, 11:25:09 PM »

Looking at the Vans RV’s, or maybe a older tail dragger like a Cessna 170.
I believe the most mustachian plane out there is the Sonex. RVs are pretty expensive in comparison. Our Sonex with the VW engine is ridiculously cheap to run.

Model96

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2021, 03:40:55 AM »

Otherwise there's the hot hatch choices.

I wonder what metrics are used? Here in Australia it seems that recalls are only for safety issues, but I get the impression that they recall a car for anything and everything in the US.

Consumer Laws protect car owners better in the US I think. That website's reliability ratings are pretty interesting though.

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2021, 07:28:15 AM »

I like Subarus (have owned three) but their reliability is actually below average:

Thanks RWD,

That's really interesting.  Our three Subarus were bulletproof. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2021, 08:08:56 AM »

Thanks RWD,

That's really interesting.  Our three Subarus were bulletproof.

My first Subaru developed rod knock (possibly my fault). Our second Subaru we purchased with a seized motor (around ~140k miles, if I recall correctly). After replacing the engine it was mostly trouble free. Our third Subaru was purchased brand new and was reliable for our 7 years of ownership (very low miles though).

A lot of reliability issues with Subarus have traditionally been with the head gaskets. Presumably they have solved that issue and looking at Dashboard-Light it seems around 2014-2015 and newer are pretty reliable.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2021, 02:04:54 PM »
See signature. I have loved cars since I knew what they were, have collected hot wheels and car magazines and car paraphernalia my whole life, and buying my S2000 was the culmination of a life’s dream. I love my kids more than the car, but it’s real close.

Good news is, for me the car hobby is pretty cheap. My car is worth pretty much what I spent on it if I had to sell, which I won’t. I DIY pretty much everything, and parts and consumables are inexpensive. Insurance is cheap. Tires and gas are the only real expenses. It’s basically just a cooler, faster, more interesting Miata (someone once called it a weaponized Miata, I like that). 

I don’t drive all that fast. There aren’t many sports car roads around Chicagoland to go storming through the twisties. But if you get that warm summer night, the right passenger beside you, the right song on the radio, and you nail that corner and execute that perfect 3-2 downshift timed just right and bounce off the redline and listen to the engine scream..,oh man, that’s it right there, that’s everything.

I’m sure other people find that feeling elsewhere, but that’s my nirvana.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2021, 08:23:06 AM »

The 2018-2019 4-cylinder base Stinger (252 hp) can be had for under $25k. The 6-cylinder ones (365 hp) are going to be a little more (~$30k looks reasonable).

Does anyone have personal experience with the Stinger?  My wife and I are looking to replace our Escape with a sedan. Unfortunately, the sedan landscape is getting sparse. Not a fan of the CVT in the Accord, not keen on a Camry. I believe Ford is discontinuing the Fusion. The only other contender was the Mazda6, but we recently had a Mazda3 and while we liked it, we're looking to change it up a bit.

The Stinger seems to be a stand-out on paper for being fun and great value on a used one.

Anyway, to the original question: I managed an auto parts store for several years, and I auto-crossed the Mazda(speed)3. The biggest thing that has lessened my spending/enthusiasm for cars has just been distancing myself from the "scene." and finding other things to occupy my time.  I still keep somewhat abreast, but not being constantly surrounded by people working on and talking about cars helps. Even reading threads like this makes me a bit wistful, but in general just limiting exposure helps.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2021, 10:18:33 AM »

Does anyone have personal experience with the Stinger?  My wife and I are looking to replace our Escape with a sedan. Unfortunately, the sedan landscape is getting sparse. Not a fan of the CVT in the Accord, not keen on a Camry. I believe Ford is discontinuing the Fusion. The only other contender was the Mazda6, but we recently had a Mazda3 and while we liked it, we're looking to change it up a bit.

The Stinger seems to be a stand-out on paper for being fun and great value on a used one.

Anyway, to the original question: I managed an auto parts store for several years, and I auto-crossed the Mazda(speed)3. The biggest thing that has lessened my spending/enthusiasm for cars has just been distancing myself from the "scene." and finding other things to occupy my time.  I still keep somewhat abreast, but not being constantly surrounded by people working on and talking about cars helps. Even reading threads like this makes me a bit wistful, but in general just limiting exposure helps.

Doug DeMuro (a very popular automotive Youtuber) liked the Stinger enough that he bought one to use as his daily driver for a while.

They have the same 5-year basic/10-year powertrain warranty as Hyundais so I think you can expect it to be pretty reliable. The 4-cylinder engine is shared with the Genesis G70, Genesis Coupe, i30N, Santa Fe, Sonata Veloster N, Optima, Sorento, and Sportage so it is well tested (earliest use in 2009 vehicles).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »
If you can buy a Stinger at a significant discount (used or new) it might be worthwhile, my main concern would be H/K cars tend to have pretty severe depreciation and the car will cost a bit in terms of TCO as a result. 

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2021, 10:57:12 AM »

Have you considered a newer Mazda 3 hatch? I do not know what model of 2010 you have, but we recently went from the '06 GT to a low-km '14 GT and I cannot believe how much the fun factor has increased! Not going to pin-you-in-your-seat with 300hp, but certainly enough that even my car-loving DH has fun driving it. I LOVE when there is no traffic on the ski hill road! Zoom-zoom indeed.

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2021, 12:14:44 PM »
I'm not a car person. I don't get it. But, you do you. Why would you quit something that brings you joy? All you need to do is quit spending money on it, or greatly reduce the money spent. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy yourself.

Examples:
Car shows (free or inexpensive) - there's a small car show every year in my small town. Is it the high end cars? Nope. But if you like 60s/70s cars, you'll enjoy yourself.

A car show to a car person can be like an addict going to a crack house, just to browse.

I have pretty much stopped going to car shows because every time I do I get the itch to buy, and I'm trying to stay focused on hitting a specific net worth amount before I pull the trigger.
...but maybe it's just me.
If you can buy a Stinger at a significant discount (used or new) it might be worthwhile, my main concern would be H/K cars tend to have pretty severe depreciation and the car will cost a bit in terms of TCO as a result. 

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2021, 09:37:00 AM »
Not a car enthusiast but motorcycles. Got my first little dirt bike at age 12, had many dirt and road bikes ever since then - often as my only vehicle - and got my rid of my last road bike a couple of years ago (Ducati Monster - that hot naked Italian just didn't fit in with my lifestyle then and he had to go ;-)). Even worked in a motorcycle shop throughout my teenage years to support my "habit" -  and meet boys! Got an old beater van at 16 so I could haul my bikes to races and to the desert. Even after I FIREd my first trips were long solo motorcycle camping trips on a small Yamaha cruiser I had for years as my "daily driver" (had the sports bike too - a Suzuki GSX/R but not for road trips).

Anyways it's been a couple of years and I am jonesing hard for another bike - probably an adventure dual sports bike. I've morphed my love of motorcycles towards bicycling over the years but doesn't quite scratch the itch. Hoping this thread will talk me down from the ledge. I should probably stop reading blog of the forum members here who are living the adventure motorcycle life like @EndlessJourney .

ETA: I haven't owned a car/vehicle for over a year now and just rent occasionally so am deciding what I should get. That is making my motorcycle road trip lust grow even though I'm trying to be practical and get a small van for road trips.

@spartana,
If I was single & that was your online dating profile I'd be nervously (assuming I'd be just one of the hundreds) replying.  ;) 

I grew up on bikes too.  My dad used to rev the engine on his little Honda to call me home when I was about 5 years old.  I don't remember how old I was when we got the first minibike, but I think I was 8 or 9 when dad bought a junk AMF Harley Davidson 125 as my first real motorcycle.  It was a "team builder" for my little brothers and me, meaning they'd help push it up the hill so I could roll-start it & give them rides. 

Gene & Neda are my heros too.  I follow them on ADVrider (Gene is "Lightcycle" there) and here's their website for folks wondering who they are: [size=78%]http://www.ridedot.com/faq/[/size]

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2021, 01:47:51 PM »
Tesla Roadster pushed back to 2022 unfortunately but it's the only EV (along with the Taycan) I'm remotely interested in.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2021, 02:06:14 PM »
Tesla Roadster pushed back to 2022 unfortunately but it's the only EV (along with the Taycan) I'm remotely interested in.

Base model Taycan was recently announced (I think deliveries to start in Spring). Starts at $80k (USD), ~400-470 hp, RWD. I think the 4S is the sweet spot but it's nice to have an even lower priced trim (will probably be a bargain on the used market in a few years).

firemane

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
I quit by being into motorcycles instead and now I could care less about cars. Still not cheap but way cheaper than cars

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »
2 thoughts on this:
1.  Buying cars that are older and bottom of the depreciation curve is a good way to enjoy vehicles without going broke.  Something like an E46 M3 could be kept as a 3rd car, driven 2-10k a year, and it'll never lose value.  Same goes for a 996 Turbo, any Japanese halo car from the 90s, etc.
2.  I've actually kind of kicked the track day "bug" by getting heavy into online sim racing.  A good setup for sim racing is sort of expensive (1k on the basic end) but it removes a lot of the headaches of car prep while allowing you to fight with friends on track.  I still have a w2w car that I'm prepping for endurance racing with a few friends but to be honest, I'd rather do sim racing than track days.

To be honest, cars are only money pits if you're buying them very new and eating depreciation or modding them heavily.  If you can stay away from those two issues, cars really aren't that expensive.
I was going to recommend the Ford Focus RS as a WRX alternative for someone wanting to go full boy racer but I couldn't find one for sale under $25k. I guess they must have gotten the head gasket issue sorted out.
Along a similar line of thinking: the Civic Type R is very quick for what it is.  May be a challenge to get one at 25k but they have held their value very well so I wouldn't be opposed to stretching the budget a bit to get into one.  You have to be okay with roughly 30 fake vents and wings though... which is a deal breaker for a lot of people. :)

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2021, 08:24:30 AM »

Have you considered a newer Mazda 3 hatch? I do not know what model of 2010 you have, but we recently went from the '06 GT to a low-km '14 GT and I cannot believe how much the fun factor has increased! Not going to pin-you-in-your-seat with 300hp, but certainly enough that even my car-loving DH has fun driving it. I LOVE when there is no traffic on the ski hill road! Zoom-zoom indeed.

i hadn't but looked over the weekend, Mazda has a 3 variant with awd and turbo pushing 250 horse, i test drove the speed 3 when i got mine but the GF now wife cant drive stick so i had to pass, may investigate this more along with other suggestions

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2021, 08:42:47 AM »
Look at c90adventures on youtube for someone doing motorcycles round the world on an ultra tight budget. A good 20 hours of youtube black hole