Author Topic: Anyone snowshoeing with this record amount of snow?  (Read 7063 times)

financialforager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financial Forager
Anyone snowshoeing with this record amount of snow?
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:37:58 AM »
People in snow states. Are you sick of the snow or are you finding ways to get out and have some fun?

I like to winter hike and snowshoe:

http://www.financialforager.com/adventures-winter-hiking-snowshoeing/

What do you do for fun?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Anyone snowshoeing with this record amount of snow?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:48:57 AM »
The snowmobilers have made great tracks on the field behind my house.  If we ever get warm enough (say -10oC) we will go skijoring.  It's hard to have fun when your nostrils want to freeze together, like the temperatures we have had most of this winter.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »
If by "record amount of snow" you mean a record low, then no we're not snowshoeing.  Or skiing or snowboarding.  Or climbing.  Or filling our reservoirs to irrigate our crops this summer. 

It's an ugly year for snowpack in the northwest.  I was up in the North Cascades last month and it was 40F at 8,000 feet.  At 8am.  In January.  This is catastrophic for our snowpack.

patricles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
I moved from Boston to NH at the end of January, right before the series of blizzards began.  Even though I have more snow now in NH it's easier to manage than if I were in the city.  Good timing!  Plus now I can go snowshoeing right out of my house every day, and skiing is much more accessible.  It's winter, get out and enjoy it!

ohana

• Stubble
    • An Ocean Lover in Maine
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »
Oh Yes!  If you don't get outside and do things like snowshoe, winter gets pretty long up here!  It's so fun, and such a great workout.  And I'm never cold doing it, it's too much cardio for that to happen.

My DH is actually a snowshoe racer -- it's becoming increasingly popular here in Maine.  Talk about a serious workout! 

For your entertainment, and horror if you are a die-hard southerner, I've attached a photo of the Maine Running Moose.  He's wearing shorts -- and it's about -20 windchill. 

That's how you do winter in Maine.

BodesWell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BodesWell
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »
Not snowshoeing, but *snowboarding*! There is up to two feet of snow predicted this weekend in Winter Park, CO. Any mustachians interested in riding or swapping stories over beers is welcome up at our place!

WYOGO

• Stubble
  • Great Basin
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »
Yep! Snowshoeing. Headed up tomorrow. Love the Rocky Mountain states. Record or no record, you can count on ample snow in my state. Winter Park is exceptional as well. Such beautiful country and interior enough to escape some of the craziness of the Denver metro area.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:03:23 PM by WYOGO »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »
I went last weekend in Wisconsin and there was barely enough snow to make it worth wearing the snowshoes over just boots.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 11:40:53 PM »
Headed to the Smokey's just to snowshoe next week.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 03:11:01 AM »
I went snowshoeing for the first time in Park City 2 weekends ago. It was 60 degrees. Very unusual for that time of year there.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 07:35:01 AM »
If by "record amount of snow" you mean a record low, then no we're not snowshoeing.  Or skiing or snowboarding.  Or climbing.  Or filling our reservoirs to irrigate our crops this summer. 

It's an ugly year for snowpack in the northwest.  I was up in the North Cascades last month and it was 40F at 8,000 feet.  At 8am.  In January.  This is catastrophic for our snowpack.

Nothing really in the midwest either.

My snowshoes I got for Christmas haven't had any opportunity to be used yet :(

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 07:51:13 AM »
Do snowshoes stick to steep hillsides, or are they more of a level-ground tool?

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 08:05:41 AM »
No use complaining; living in NW PA means lake effect snow and many gray skies...  It's the crazy low temps that have been the real PITA.  Yesterday the actual temp was -21, and it has been way below zero many times so far, and more to come.  My rental/landlord situation has been poor this winter, making it seem worse than it is...  Can't wait to get a new place!  Photo is looking out my front door, it's snowing as I type, and I included a forecast.  I'm sure folks from Minnesota are laughing.

Despite the weather, I still walk everyday wearing proper gear, and try to make the best of it...  Even below zero feels OK, *IF* it's calm.  Add even a light breeze, and all bets are off. Good luck to my fellow harsh winter Mustacians, it only makes Spring that much sweeter.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 08:07:11 AM »
Yes!  The snowshoeing and sledding is wonderful!

In the last 15 years, I fell away from resort skiing due to the crazy prices and crowds, but how about cross country skiing?  I've been thinking about finding a pair of backcountry skis, double camber and metal edges, so I can take on the local trails.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 08:12:23 AM »
Do snowshoes stick to steep hillsides, or are they more of a level-ground tool?

Yes to both!  There are all sort of snowshoes - styles for running, walking, hiking, etc...  Personally, I like aggressive climbing snowshoes like the MSR Lightning or the Tubbs Flex.  Even on icy windswept peaks, these things stick like glue.  (Although switch to crampons if it makes sense!)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »

Yeah.  My wife & I normally snowboard in the winters, but we're not this year because she's currently pregnant.  Of course, my friends who all snowboard aren't either, because there's no snow worth snowboarding on. :(

Briarly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 08:54:19 PM »
yes snow shoes! and cross country skiing.
for anybody in southern NH/ VT, the Dublin school had beautiful free groomed trails I recently discovered.
last week snow shoeing....
I saw in the snow where a bird caught a small animal

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 07:15:14 AM »
We've only had about 10 days this winter that we could cross country ski.  There were a few days with enough snow, but just WAY too cold and windy, but most of the snow has melted so the trails aren't great.

I don't know of any places to snowshoe around here though. You can't do it at the XC trails.

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »
I saw in the snow where a bird caught a small animal

That's very cool. 

One of the great things about the snow - tracking. 

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »

I was up 5000ft in the Central Cascades this weekend. There was some snow on the ground above 4000ft, but definitely still passable without snowshoes (though me and my kid slipped a few times on the melting snow and ice!). Microspikes would have been nice, but eh, we survived. It is crazy that you could still do a higher elevation hike like that in February though. Looking at the forecast, there is very little in the way of rain/snow/more seasonable temps for the next 10 days.

kimchi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »
Not yet -- too busy xc skiing like crazy!  Spend Sunday afternoon on the backcountry trails here (Gatineau Park, in QC, north of Ottawa) and it was powdery heaven!  Snowshoeing happens in the spring when I start to get tired of klister skiing!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 06:27:52 PM »
Do any of you have experience with the MSR Revo Explore snowshoes?  I'm trying to decide between those and the Evo's with flotation tails added.  Currently tracking them on Amazon and waiting for the price to drop (don't care if I can't get them until Spring).

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »
Do any of you have experience with the MSR Revo Explore snowshoes?  I'm trying to decide between those and the Evo's with flotation tails added.  Currently tracking them on Amazon and waiting for the price to drop (don't care if I can't get them until Spring).

I use the Revo's cousin, the Lightning Ascent.  They've been good to me.  Long ago, I had a problem with the Evo's binding and decking.  The decking literally cracked underfoot on a cold day.  (But I'm a big guy, with big feet, and a big pack - I'm probably not the target customer.)

Personally, I haven't needed the tails - the hiking trails are usually packed out enough, or the snow dense enough, that I'm not going to sink, even with 25 inch snowshoes.  They might be useful for the (typically) deep powder out west though.  You might think about putting the tails purchase off until you're sure you need them.