Author Topic: Anyone have a Sleep Number bed  (Read 13094 times)

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
Anyone have a Sleep Number bed
« on: February 18, 2016, 01:04:52 PM »
The husband is DYING for a sleep number bed with adjustable base, we've had our existing bed for a long time, and it's due for replacement.  I've read the reviews etc and I'm just not sure they are worth the cost (with the base we are looking at around 4-5k).  To be fair, we both have back issues (I broke mine, he's got issues from para jumping) and inner spring mattresses that we've had have all caused pain. 

Just wondering if anyone here has one and what they thought of it?

Elliot

• Bristles
Re: Anyone have a Sleep Number bed
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 01:12:10 PM »
My sister has one, but you can only use their frames and footboard/headboard. I tried her sleep number versus my dad's tempurpedic and I went with an off brand tempurpedic. Do not regret it.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »
We currently have a tempurpedic and hate it.  We've had it 8 years now and it's never really felt "broken in", we wake up really sore every morning.  And it's really hard to stay cool on in the summer.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:15:10 PM »
We have one of the more mid teir models (adjust the setting from 10 to 100, not full on hospital bed control) that was about 1800 when we bought it a few years ago. It is a game changer for my back issues. I highly recommend it. The best feature for me is adjusting the hardness to respond to how my back feels on any given night.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
We definitely have a newer one that has temp control gel in it.

Millennial-Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
We have a memory foam-gel mattress at home and love it. But I stayed in a hotel last year for a week that had a sleep number bed and it was the worst sleeping experience of my life.

I guess my point is, make sure you really like the bed before committing to it. If you plan on traveling, you might even find somewhere to test one out.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 01:41:58 PM »
I don't have personal experience, but two of my coworkers use sleep number beds and HIGHLY recommend (they are both grouchy old men that do not adjust to new technology willingly, so I think their opinions say a lot here). To those that "tried one" I think it makes a difference if you know your "number." From what I have heard, when you purchase they help determine your number (or at least where you should start) by having you lay on a bed with sensors. Perhaps you didn't have the correct setting?

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
My sister hated hers passionately and developed crippling major back pain. Her husband was the one who wanted it; he loved it. She eventually got so fed up with the thing that she ordered a new mattress without even testing it, with no return policy, and charged the whole $1600 on her credit card and is apparently now much happier.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »
We bought one a little over a year ago after doing lots of research and trying out different types of beds. The reason we went with a Sleep Number was for the instant adjustability. We have had some back issues in the past and our previous bed, a foam mattress, wasn't cutting it. Since we've had the SN, we've had no back issues whatsoever. The only way we may have an issue is if we sleep in an awkward position.

We have the basic base, no adjustability. Suits us just fine. It was pricey, but sleep is one area I/we will not compromise.

I initially never really considered them, but a coworker raved about how much it helped her and her husband. Then consumer reports gave them the thumbs up too.

Have you been to the store to try them out? I like how when they help you find your number, when you find the right setting it just feels like you've hit your "bliss point". Best sleep for sure.

nalor511

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »
We've had one for 11 years now, and we use a bedframe from ikea (did not buy any sleepnumber items except the mattress which comes with pump and remotes). We've had zero issues with the mattress, but when it's really cold the bed does get a bit softer and need to be topped up (which is very easy, you just hold the up arrow on the remote). I highly recommend that if your model does not come with memory foam, buying a memory foam topper from anywhere, and installing it yourself. The mattress cover easily unzips all around to insert the memory foam right on top.

I have chronic back issues, and this mattress really helps me. It's also got a long warranty, and my significant other likes the ability to adjust each side of the bed to a different firmness (right now we're both on the same number, but it's nice to have the option). Highly recommended.

They used to have a "do it yourself kit" on their website, where you could basically put the mattress together yourself. We bought this option for my mother, and it was super easy to put together. Not sure if they are still doing that, but it saved us a good 20-30% on hers.

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »
I bought an entry level one many years ago.  Love it.  Doesn't have the numeric "sleep number" display- just a unit with up and down arrows to adjust the pressure. 

Ours was around $600 at the time- I couldn't see spending the extra money just for the digital display, as the next model up was in the thousand dollar range.

keeper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »
I do not have the adjustable frame as it was like 2k more many years ago, but I have the  adjustable mattress with a memory foam top. It can sit on any frame you want as we put it in our bedroom furniture wooden frame just like any other mattress. The key for us was that they do new "models" each year and I bought the previous year model at a discount.

It is the best best we ever bought after years of terrible sleeping. The problem for us is that I like sleeping on a very stiff surface and my wife was the opposite. So every bed we bought over the years was a compromise for both of us and no one was happy. Now I have my side set to 100 (max) and her side to (35). When changing the bed or needing a harder surface for other "activities" you can quickly hit a button for 100, then hit memory to go back to your setting.

Worth every penny in my opinion.

livingthedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Becoming Financially Independent
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 03:35:37 PM »
My parents have one in their guest room and I hate it. Just can't find a comfortable number. My in laws however have slept on it and love it. A friend in the mattress business was telling me you should give a new bed 30 days for your back to adjust so make sure you can return if you don't like it.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 04:45:28 PM »
Thanks everyone!  With the terrible experience we had with the tempurpedic I was worried about wasting more money but frankly he and I are to the point where there are some nights we sleep in the guest room because the mattress is killing us and we haven't been able to sleep through the night for a while.  The inner spring in there is fine for a night or two but really bothers us long term (it was my mattress when we were living in different states for work).

I think we will suck it up and splurge on it, I'm hoping to talk him out of the adjustable base since it's 1. not returnable and 2. more then the mattress we are looking at itself.  We have gone to the store and tested it, it was comfortable...but then again so was the last one in the store, it's good to hear from people that have actually used one so thank you!!!

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »
We've had a king sized sleep number for about 7 years.  Just the mattress - we made our own headboard.  We love the bed.  I forget what we paid for it and it's kind of a subjective thing, so I won't go into if it was "worth" the cost.

It's a great bed.  I rarely adjust the firmness but it is nice to have the option.  We've moved twice since we bought it - super easy to take apart and move should you ever need to.  I was worried when I first bought it that the foam sides would warp over time, but they are still perfect as the day we purchased. 

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »
We've had a king sized sleep number for about 7 years.  Just the mattress - we made our own headboard.  We love the bed.  I forget what we paid for it and it's kind of a subjective thing, so I won't go into if it was "worth" the cost.

It's a great bed.  I rarely adjust the firmness but it is nice to have the option.  We've moved twice since we bought it - super easy to take apart and move should you ever need to.  I was worried when I first bought it that the foam sides would warp over time, but they are still perfect as the day we purchased.

This is GREAT to hear and read! I worried about the hassle of moving and how hard it would be, but it seems it shouldn't be hard. I also worried about the foam sides, even though they said they reinforced all the newer ones. Thanks for writing your review.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »
Friend has one and they love it.  I think they spent about 3K;  this was for a Cal King and they added the warming layer.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
We've had a sleep number bed for almost 15 years and love it! It was about $1100 with the pillow top.  I like the bed hard and my husband likes it soft, so every bed we had before was a compromise for one of us. It's lasted through 2 pregnancies, and my husband;s back surgery! We joke around that if we get divorced, we will not fight over the kids, but we will fight over who gets the bed!

sstants

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 07:46:22 AM »
I have some injuries too that make sleeping uncomfortable unless the mattress is perfect...and I found that the right solution for me is a spring-less foam mattress. They make a lot of them, and you just have to find the right one for your situation (different firmness etc). Shop around a little before you drop 5K!

Izus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 09:07:33 AM »
Surprised nobody has mentioned Casper.  I bought one about 6 months ago and it was the best $700 I've ever spent.  I feel obligated to plug it since I love it so much.  They're memory foam with an inch of gel on top to help with heat mitigation.  An added bonus, they're shipped direct from factory which allows a very well made product to be sold at rock bottom prices.  The downside is that they're a one-size-fits-all, with no options in foam density.
It's a little more firm than I expected, but still the best sleep I've ever had.  They get rave reviews for good reason. :)

ashwihi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 09:17:25 AM »
I have owned a sleep number bed since 2010 after returning from Iraq, and yes they are expensive, but completely worth it IMO.

My back sucks from the Army and other life events and I used to wake up everyday with a terrible back ache and couldn't function properly through the day.

I think if I lose my job I could go sell sleep number beds.  Worth. Every. Penny.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 12:09:25 PM »
Surprised nobody has mentioned Casper.  I bought one about 6 months ago and it was the best $700 I've ever spent.  I feel obligated to plug it since I love it so much.  They're memory foam with an inch of gel on top to help with heat mitigation.  An added bonus, they're shipped direct from factory which allows a very well made product to be sold at rock bottom prices.  The downside is that they're a one-size-fits-all, with no options in foam density.
It's a little more firm than I expected, but still the best sleep I've ever had.  They get rave reviews for good reason. :)
Thank you for mentioning them! We are hunting for foam mattresses (springs don't work for the husband and I'm a terrible sleeper in general) and they are at the top of our list. 100 day trial, loads of research on their end and rave reviews. And way cheaper ....

Ikea has some foam mattresses as well if you want to check them out. I liked them, husband did not.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 12:14:33 PM »
The husband is DYING for a sleep number bed with adjustable base, we've had our existing bed for a long time, and it's due for replacement.  I've read the reviews etc and I'm just not sure they are worth the cost (with the base we are looking at around 4-5k).  To be fair, we both have back issues (I broke mine, he's got issues from para jumping) and inner spring mattresses that we've had have all caused pain. 

Just wondering if anyone here has one and what they thought of it?

Hey, did you buy this yet MishMash?  Loving or hating?  We are at the crossroads, too.  (and BTW, congrats to you on the pending FIRE this July!)

We did!  So, little known fact if you are thinking about it, they actually have an outlet store online where they build the previous model beds with brand new materials, and it's like half the price of the new models.  We called and asked a bunch of questions and pretty much since we got the split king, all the complaints people had about it didn't apply.  DH LOVE LOVE LOVEs it, me, I'm still on the fence, haven't found my right "number" yet.  I couldn't warrant spending that much money on a base just yet.  It's much cooler then the tempurpedic and I love that I can change the firmness based on how my back is feeling that night.  I will say that the "hump" that people complain about is definitely true, but that's again because we bought the split king and neither of us is a middle of the bed sleeper anyway so no real biggy.   The pets love and adore it to the point I can't get them off of it....ever, unless it's dinner time.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »
Thank you for mentioning them! We are hunting for foam mattresses (springs don't work for the husband and I'm a terrible sleeper in general) and they are at the top of our list. 100 day trial, loads of research on their end and rave reviews. And way cheaper ....

Ikea has some foam mattresses as well if you want to check them out. I liked them, husband did not.

I'm mattress shopping right now. We nixed the Casper because it's not actually latex all the way through. It's latex on top, and then other, cheaper synthetic foams underneath. We both have allergies and latex is inhospitable to dust mites and mold, while other foams aren't. I've narrowed down our options to a DIY natural latex mattress (surprisingly easy) or buying one ready made from one of a couple of sources.

This guy says the way to go is latex+springs, and he seems to know what he is talking about:

http://www.oldbedguy.com/

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 12:55:11 PM »
We have springs with a latex top now, not sure a full latex with springs will be any different.  *shrugs*

QueenAlice

• Bristles
  • QueenAlice, PhD
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 01:11:56 PM »
Slightly random:

I have a queen sized Sleep Number from ~2012 that is in really great shape. I loved it, but moved into a house in 2014 that was fully furnished including a king sized bed and decided not to set the Sleep Number up. If anyone wants to buy it feel free to PM me. I'm not sure how I would ship it, but I live in MD and would be willing to meet up somewhere.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
We have springs with a latex top now, not sure a full latex with springs will be any different.  *shrugs*

Yeah, we're planning on getting latex-only, no springs, but I thought his site was interesting enough to merit a mention.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »
Slightly random:

I have a queen sized Sleep Number from ~2012 that is in really great shape. I loved it, but moved into a house in 2014 that was fully furnished including a king sized bed and decided not to set the Sleep Number up. If anyone wants to buy it feel free to PM me. I'm not sure how I would ship it, but I live in MD and would be willing to meet up somewhere.

you slept on it from 2012- 2014?

what are you looking for it?

Zacyra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
I love my sleep  number storage bed from King Costco https://10restbest.com/best-storage-beds I used to toss and turn all night and have issues with my back. I now sleep through the night and most of my back pain is gone. I have a combo sleep number/memory foam bed. If you do a little research you can find lots of comparisons between the sleep number and Tempur-Pedic. The folks here saying the sleep number is the same as an air mattress…well you must have some really fancy air mattress. I got to sleep on a nice air mattress over Christmas…yeah they are not the same thing.

Anyway, I could have gone with either of the beds but went with the sleep number because it was on sale for about $1,000 less than the comparable Tempur-Pedic. Both the Sleep Number and Tempur-Pedic are better than a standard bed. Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:25:33 AM by Zacyra »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »

We went with the Frugalwoods's recommended "Internet Mattress".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050JL32U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is VERY firm

It was so cheap ($225 for a king) I figured if I hated it I'd just give it away.  We've had it for a year. I'm not a huge fan, but husband absolutely loves it.  I sleep on the floor about 2 days a week on a camping mat, but most nights this mattress works for me. It's perfect for him.  I think I'd like it better if I could just find a pillow... but that isn't working for me at all.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:43:34 AM by I'm a red panda »

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »
We tried a Sleep Number at a hotel and hated it. Made our back problems worse.

After a lot of research, a couple of months ago, we got a Leesa mattress (online store, foam mattress-in-a-box thing), and aside from some outgassing issues for a few weeks making me physically ill, it's been really good for both of us. We both also have back and hip issues, and they have been improving on this mattress. There are several bed-in-a-box companies you could research, and Google can find you reviews of them. Sometimes you can find floor models to test out in local furniture stores, if you're lucky.

As spouse & I age, we find that foam mattresses just work better for us than inner-spring. We prefer memory foam, but latex foam does have its bouncy charms. We did have to start out with a foam mattress topper, but over time, as the mattress breaks in, we may not need that anymore.

Good luck.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
I know this will freak some people out, but have you considered buying a used one?

Precautions:
-ask about bedbugs
-ask about smoking / pets
-see pics for any stains
-ask to test the pump and air bladders

Benefits:
-expect 50-80% off!
-If you don't like it, sell it for what you have in it and lose nothing.
-Less of a gamble. If you feel meh about it, just sell it without remorse or sunk cost fallacy thinking.

I bought one of their very early models (a 5000 model, with less padding than the S2 and no dampening chambers, circa 2007?) for about $450 with the flat base. I liked it a lot, but the wife not so much. So we sold it for $450 a couple months later. Overall, minimal risk and a no-loss experience.

I would never do this with a spring or foam mattress unless it was a guest bedroom situation, as those mattresses have a tendency to sag with use.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »
I didn't read all the posts so I apologize if someone has already posted this, their price for the adjustable base is ridiculous.  You should be able to find an adjustable base for $1000 less.  I've had a sleep number bed for about 15 years or so, I will never buy an innerspring mattress again.  However, I might give this mattress a try simply because of the 365 day trial. https://www.nectarsleep.com/?utm_source=adroll&utm_medium=adroll-display&utm_campaign=prospecting

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 08:34:17 PM »
We have a king size about 10 years old. It was the cheapest one. No digital number. On a slatted wood frame we bought separately for cheap. One side the edge is slanted downward a bit now. I just finally added a padded mattress topper. Husband and I find it pretty comfortable. I keep my side super soft, almost like a hammock, and he likes his firm. One great thing is how light it is and so easy to move.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 04:36:02 AM »
My wife and I had Sealy's version of Tempurpedic for over 12 years.  We decided to take the plunge on middle of the line Sleep number with the adjustable base as we watch TV and read in bed and wanted to be able to sit up.

Prior to the purchase, I was taking ambien fairly regularly and having pretty lousy sleep.  I haven't needed ambien once since the purchase.  To be fair, I also retired and we moved out of the DC area all at the same time, so it may not be entirely the bed. 

The price is tough to swallow, but the better sleep is worth it to us.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
Man I hate our sleep number, but my partner loves it. We have a mid-range, non-adjustable base queen. We have had mold issues between the layers that we only noticed when we unzipped everything to move (Sleep number replaced). And I just do not find the bed comfortable. But luckily I can sleep on a rock once I am tired enough, so while I don't find it a comfortable bed for lounging, I can sleep on it. I just get up as soon as I am awake and don't come to bed until I am ready for sleep. I secretly keep hoping it breaks or leaks or something so I have an excuse to replace it with something different. I imagine that will be a fight though given how much my partner loves it.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »
The return policy is decent enough to make trying it out worthwhile for a lot of people. I've slept on one occasionally (someone I was dating) and had my number checked at a store - it was totally different than what felt "right" on my own. I had no complaints and did seem to have less back pain than on a variety of foam tempurpedic, etc mattresses.

Lewis Clark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »
We have had one for about 10 years. My wife loves it. The adjustability is great and it has helped my wife's back.

I don't like it. My dislike is due to a series of mechanical problems. The potential repair issue was a concern for me when we bought it initially, and these concerns have been validated by the repair issues we have had.

I've had to replace one air chamber and several hose connections, and one of the control displays is starting to fail. Sleep Number has been very good about sending out repair parts, and honoring the stated warranty. But the hassle of the repairs has been annoying.

I don't think I would buy another one.