Author Topic: Anyone else despise travel?  (Read 28981 times)

rpr

• Pencil Stache
Re: Anyone else despise travel?
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2015, 06:04:43 PM »
Anyone else despise travel?

I don't even like to go down in the basement.
:)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »
Even though I've travelled lots -slowly, freakishly cheaply, and via full immersion- and really appreciated that, like others here I find it takes a long time to experience the diversity locally. If I volunteer at the Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture, then play cards with folks in a psychiatric halfway house, then have a glass of wine in the home of a wealthy art collector, then chill in a neighbour's art studio, then spend an hour participating in prayer in a local mosque, and another as a guest at an NA meeting, spend an afternoon in one of four neighbourhoods where I will hear not a word of English, and a week sleeping in a rural Buddhist monastery... I feel short on time to experience everything within kilometers! Everywhere is so rich in humanity, story, culture, beauty.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2015, 05:02:30 PM »

That's how I look at it. I've travelled a bit and have always found the experience overrated. Deep down, people are just people, and the fact that they live a little differently is not that much of a big deal to me...at least not big enough to spend thousands to see. Once you've seen a few old buildings, or churches, or some ruins, it's all the same.

And while some scenery is nice to look at, it's certainly not worth a trip halfway around the world.

I agree, ruins everywhere are the same. The Angkor Vat ruins are the same as the Roman Colosseum or the ruins in Greece or Turkey or the ruins in Macchu Picchu or Stonehenge or ruins of ancient temples in India or the ruins of the Great Wall of China. It is all the same. So totally not worth spending the time and money to travel and see.

And agree about the churches and the buildings that are highly overrated. The palace of Versailles, the Notre Dame cathedral, the St Peters Basilica, the Forbidden city in Beijing. They are all so much alike. I should have just gone to that new modern mega church down the road.

Similarly, people everywhere are the same. Once you've talked to one person, you know everyone since they are the same. No different. I think I am better off staying indoors all day and not going out and talking to neighbors and friends. Nothing new there.

And the scenery is so not worth it, watching the sunset in the Grand Canyon, the sunrise reflected off the Grand Tetons, watching the waterfalls in Hawaii, and the high Atacama desert in Chile and elsewhere. Yes it is the same everywhere.

I wish I had come across the wisdom contained in the above post 20 years ago. I would have saved so much time and money staying at home.

I said that "I" don't care about travel...if you like it, have at 'er. In case you missed it, this topic was about people who do NOT like travel. You could have ignored the topic all together instead of being a smart ass.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »

I said that "I" don't care about travel...if you like it, have at 'er. In case you missed it, this topic was about people who do NOT like travel. You could have ignored the topic all together instead of being a smart ass.

You are indeed correct that I should have ignored the topic instead of posting what I did.  My apologies.

The bottom line is that some people love to travel. Others like to stay closer to home and/or despise it. And as you pointed out, it comes down to an individual choice.  Different strokes ...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!