Author Topic: Anybody collect rare coins/paper currency or know somebody who does?  (Read 1709 times)

planman2014

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am always trying to meet new collectors and find new sources to buy from. Often it is somebody's family member or friend who says "Well my Uncle has got a complete set of Morgan Dollars in his gun safe. Want me to send him your email?" that yields best stuff.

Lot of people sitting on rare coins (and paper money) are sort of content to let it sit. I am same way. If I ever sell I'll be lazy as can be about it.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Anybody collect rare coins/paper currency or know somebody who does?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:54:05 PM »
Not specifically rare coins, but when I was cashing out bitcoin for silver, I tried to collect "weird" stuff from new or less common mints.

I've got a lot of goofy 1oz silver rounds.  The premium was maybe $0.50 over the bland, boring stuff (buffalo, Apmex, etc).  I've sold a few (bitcoin -> silver -> eBay -> PayPal -> bank account), and the weird stuff seems to go for a premium.  At the worst, it's still an ounce of silver.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:02:25 PM »
I've always wanted a ten trillion dollar bill from Zimbabwe.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »
Those are pretty cheap on eBay.

I keep one around as a conversation piece.  Same with the silver I carry in my pocket, though that's transitioned from a conversation piece to one from the year my daughter was born.  Also a conversation piece. :)

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:06 PM »
I don't collect per se, but I have a little bag of old coins from my grandfather that I suppose I should check out some day.  A couple of them are more than a couple centuries old, but most of them are from Europe between 1900 and 1950.