Author Topic: Any vegans or vegetarians?  (Read 28645 times)

Tabaxus

• Bristles
Re: Any vegans or vegetarians?
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »
We eat more fruit and vegetables than most vegetarians we know, though we follow more of a Paleo-style diet. Excluding grains, legumes, and sugar as empty calories, produce is quite expensive, so we eat local meat and such. Dropped around 50 lbs since giving up grains/legumes/sugars and adding more veggies, used to dislike most of them but now I love em.

"Huh?" to the bolded.

I am guessing that the "as empty calories" is specific to the "sugar." As in, they don't consume grains, they don't consume legumes, and the don't consumed sugar as empty calories (i.e refined sugar, as opposed to the natural sugars found in fruit, etc.)

A lot of people, particularly Paleos, think that grains and legumes are bad for you...whereas in our vegan/vegetarian diet, those foods are considered to be among the healthiest of foods and are our diet staples, per Drs. McDougall, Barnard, Ornish, et al.

I've heard of people thinking that refined grains (e.g., white bread) are bad for you, and I've heard people tout low-carb as a weight loss mechanism, but I have never heard legumes/whole grains being put into the bad pile for anyone other than people who have gluten allergies.  To each their own, I guess.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »
I admire people who maintain a vegetarian diet. I've read and seen reports and documentaries about factory farming, which makes me feel horrible, I stop eating meat, but then I go back to eating. I frankly don't feel good if I exclude meat entirely from my diet. The closest I came to being vegetarian was in college, and despite having a dietian analyze my diet I was taking long (6 hour) naps almost every day. She did say I seemed to have a problem absorbing non-animal based iron, but I just seem to know alot of people who switched to vegetarianism and had no problem?
Lent is once a year. If I do full lent (vegan),I lose weight, I feel constantly hungry and just, not well. Last year I did lent where I allowed myself dairy products and two times shellfish and I didn't lose weight and could get through it. I just don't know how people do it.  We do only buy cage free eggs and little chicken or if we do get chicken the ones that allowed be outside (sticker shock), but I just can't give it up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:53:11 PM by partgypsy »

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »
I admire people who maintain a vegetarian diet. I've read and seen reports and documentaries about factory farming, which makes me feel horrible, I stop eating meat, but then I go back to eating. I frankly don't feel good if I exclude meat entirely from my diet. The closest I came to being vegetarian was in college, and despite having a dietian analyze my diet I was taking long (6 hour) naps almost every day. She did say I seemed to have a problem absorbing non-animal based iron, but I just seem to know alot of people who switched to vegetarianism and had no problem?
Lent is once a year. If I do full lent (vegan),I lose weight, I feel constantly hungry and just, not well. Last year I did lent where I allowed myself dairy products and two times shellfish and I didn't lose weight and could get through it. I just don't know how people do it.  We do only buy cage free eggs and little chicken or if we do get chicken the ones that allowed be outside (sticker shock), but I just can't give it up.

It's think though that your body just gets used to a certain diet.  A lot of vegetarians have a hard time digesting too much meat, because their gut biome adjusts to a vegetarian diet.  I know I wouldn't feel well if I switched to eating meat every day.  It seems reasonable that it would work in both directions. 

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »
I keep my dietary preferences on the down-low at work, though, like mustachianism, people tend to feel threatened by the strangest things.

I'm mostly pescetarian...I've swayed between plant-based to vegatarian to pescetarian over the last 4 years or so. Basically, I avoid meat and I minimize things like cheese and fish. I slip up on occasion.

I agree about keeping it on the down low. Its amazing to me that people have such an opinion about what I decide to eat. Or how I spend my money. How are my choices affecting you??

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:47 PM »
I'm Flexitarian, which means while most meals are vegetarian or vegan, I will eat meat on occasion.  We almost never buy meat for the home, but might choose it when eating out. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 06:00:28 AM »
The main reason why I wanted to go vegetarian is for ecological reasons, that a calorie of meat uses up a lot more resources/land than a plant based calorie. I've come to terms with the reality that we have domesticated animals and use them for a number of thing (food/leather). As we "owe" them for that, they should be treated well.   
So, we simply try to reduce the number of meat-based meals.  Last year husband got on board and for the 6? so weeks that lent was, made either vegetarian meals or meals where one could eat vegetarian. And I think he enjoyed trying out different recipes, ways of cooking. I do have the say the resources and what is in regular grocery stores for eating vegetarian is far superior than what was available decades ago.

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
I've heard of people thinking that refined grains (e.g., white bread) are bad for you, and I've heard people tout low-carb as a weight loss mechanism, but I have never heard legumes/whole grains being put into the bad pile for anyone other than people who have gluten allergies.  To each their own, I guess.

My daughter-in-law was on a Paleo diet for awhile; she was taught that legumes cause 'inflammation.'

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 11:11:48 AM »
I'm Flexitarian, which means while most meals are vegetarian or vegan, I will eat meat on occasion.  We almost never buy meat for the home, but might choose it when eating out.

Not that labels mean much, but there's already a term for people who eat meat, which is omnivore. Everyone who eats meat still eats a lot of food that isn't meat.

Someone who eats a little meat seems to me like someone who is a little pregnant.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2015, 02:52:56 AM »
Another vegan here!

I started to eat less and less meat en dairy products the last few years and decided to become vegetarian this year after reading more about this and watching some documentaries. I decided soon after this (2 weeks) I couldn't justify eating eggs and dairy because these are also products from a very cruel industry where a lot of animals are treated like hell and where male chicks and calves are killed off.. Not to mention the ecological reasons.

I don't know other vegans though so some people think I'm crazy (I don't care).

What about you guys? Do you know a lot of other veg(etari)ans?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:33:20 AM by Sanne »

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2015, 04:16:40 AM »

Not that labels mean much, but there's already a term for people who eat meat, which is omnivore. Everyone who eats meat still eats a lot of food that isn't meat.

Someone who eats a little meat seems to me like someone who is a little pregnant.

I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for over a dozen years. I describe my partner as "flexitarian" because he eats what I eat at home, but will eat (non-red) meat socially a few times per month when going out for lunch with his co-workers. In practice, he's way closer to the veg side than the Western diet side, but he won't fuss over ingredient labels the way that I do.

Personally, I find "flexitarian" way more descriptive than "omnivore" in his case because diet composition really is a continuum rather than all-or-nothing. A lot of people find full-fledged vegetarianism to be too extreme/restrictive, but cutting back on meat can be massively helpful for health, the environment, and the pocketbook. I call it the Mark Bittman approach. :)

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2015, 05:24:58 AM »
I am vegetarian, have been for over 30 years now. I lean towards veganism and eat vegan 6 out of 7 times at home, but need my cheese/egg fix every now and again. No leather, animal tested products etc. but sometimes honey/beeswax. Interesting to see that there are so many vegetarians/vegans here on the forum!

I like the term flexitarian, and prefer it over people who occasionally eat meat calling themselves vegetarian, as it causes issues for "real" vegetarians: people get the wrong impression of what vegetarian is and they will end up cooking something for you which is not vegetarian. "My friend who is vegetarian eats fish." "My cousin who is vegetarian will just eat chicken soup, no problem."  I think this is different per country. In the UK if I ask for a vegetarian option I can be sure that everything including the cheese is vegetarian. In the US they frequently ask if I eat fish or chicken when I ask for a vegetarian option.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »
I was vegetarian for 20 years.  Last year I FINALLY found a farm that let me do unannounced visits (even during processing days) to ensure 1. they were processing properly (many of my relatives are farmers so I know the difference) and to make sure the animals were truly being pasture raised organically and humanely.  Now the only meat I eat is from this farm.  They have a great CSA that's delivered to my house every month.

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »
I have eaten a plant-based diet for 14 years. I have encountered many curious, rude, and indifferent reactions to my dietary choice. I have also put on over 30lbs of muscle eating this way.

I don't think everyone needs to adopt this diet, nor do I think it's necessarily the healthiest way to eat for everyone. I fully recognize that the viability of my diet relies on our modern society and agriculture. Without which, I would definitely be eating some amount of meat.  Although, I do think Western diets place too much emphasis on eating meat, which when eaten in excess, is unhealthy for most people.

You can be healthy on many different diets. Exercise is very important for good health, regardless of your diet. 

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »
I have eaten a plant-based diet for 14 years. I have encountered many curious, rude, and indifferent reactions to my dietary choice. I have also put on over 30lbs of muscle eating this way.

I don't think everyone needs to adopt this diet, nor do I think it's necessarily the healthiest way to eat for everyone. I fully recognize that the viability of my diet relies on our modern society and agriculture. Without which, I would definitely be eating some amount of meat.  Although, I do think Western diets place too much emphasis on eating meat, which when eaten in excess, is unhealthy for most people.

You can be healthy on many different diets. Exercise is very important for good health, regardless of your diet.

Can I ask why you are eating plantbased? I'm just curious how you started at such a young age (and kinda jealous also ;)). Sounds great!

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »
Can I ask why you are eating plantbased? I'm just curious how you started at such a young age (and kinda jealous also ;)). Sounds great!

My mother was a vegetarian whilst pregnant with me and growing up meat was not a central part of our diet.  I never had cow's milk until I went to a friend's house in the 1st grade and almost threw up when we had cereal.  I had always had rice milk up until that point and just simply thought that's what milk was.

I did, however, eat hamburgers, hotdogs, pepperoni pizza, etc. but steak was never on our family's dinner menu.  At the same time my grandparents had become vegan and were encouraging me to eat that way I think.  I'm not sure the exact moment when I started eating strictly 'vegan'  or if it was just a gradual shift towards it.

Over the years I have done my own research into merits of such a diet and believe that it is a healthy option.  I have long lost a desire or taste for animal products.  Cooking butter, and to a lesser extent, cheese makes me nauseous.  I don't really consider myself a vegan as that entails a lot more than what I do.

Now, I simply describe myself as eating a plant-based diet.  If I go out to eat at a restaurant for breakfast I will eat pancakes even though I know they have milk and eggs. In fact, I will eat most baked goods that are not 'vegan'.  As long as it doesn't taste strongly of eggs or butter, I will eat it. 

Elbata

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2015, 11:04:28 PM »
Here's the video that I determined to not ever eat meat again. You won't see any violence in the video.

B-May

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2015, 02:36:27 AM »
If pressed, I say I'm mostly-vegetarian. I don't really like labels much, and I'm not super fussy. It's an ethical choice to avoid eating animals. Really, I should probably be a vegan... grew up in dairy country, and I know most farmer's (there) treat their cows pretty well (they're all out in paddocks/fields all day) which is why it's hard to argue with anyone back home, but while the female cows are treated well... for a few years... what about the male calves? And the fact the calves of both sexes are forcibly separated from their mothers? My grandparents were dairy farmers, and I grew up on a property in front of a dairy farm, and man, hearing those poor cows bellowing for their calves... :( Anyway. Stepping off my high horse. I guess it's not quite high enough, because I still drink milk and eat cheese.

I eat eggs that are laid by the chooks in Mum's backyard. I refuse to buy caged eggs. I don't even know why that's still a thing. It doesn't have to be.

I eat red meat maybe once a year, or less. Never eat chicken or pork/ham/bacon because of how the majority of it is raised. I don't think I could eat a pig anyway, no matter how ethically he or she was raised. Too intelligent. My cousin is a pig farmer and thinks I'm mad.

I eat fish maybe bi-monthly. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

More when visiting the parents-in-law. Not having meat with every single meal is extremely strange to them, so instead they give me fish. So much fish. I think I went off fish for a year after the last extended visit.

I've apparently convinced my cheap father to become a mostly-vegetarian. He hadn't even realised he'd been eating vegetarian meals for the past two weeks until I pointed it out. He though vegetarians just ate salads. Which was weird, because my sister and I were vegetarians for a few years in our mid-late teens, and definitely didn't just eat salad all the time... anyway that's an entirely different story.

I guess my main philosophy is people being aware of where their meat comes from and the realities of modern farming. So many people don't care and/or are completely ignorant.

My partner still eats meat. Not every meal, but he'll often cook a lamb chop on the side, or add a bit of chicken to a meal. He feels like he needs to eat meat.
Personally I'd much prefer it if it was the rooster that's lived it's life in Mum's backyard and he's killed himself, but we are yet to get to that stage. I know for a fact he wouldn't eat pig, beef or lamb if he had to do the dirty work himself, and that's something that annoys me to be honest.

If you're gonna eat meat, you should be prepared for all aspects of it. Which is one of the reasons why I decided to go vegetarian the second time. First time, it was more like "I don't like the thought of eating sentient animals". Second time was that combined with the realisation that I'd have to be almost on my death bed from starvation to actually kill even a chicken.

And also that I don't see the difference between a cow and a horse, a pig and a dog, a chook and a budgie.

I also laugh incrediously when meat-eaters get all up in arms about killing whales or kangaroos or horses or some cute critter, but don't think twice about tucking into there roast beef sandwich. Have you never looked into the eyes of a cow or calf? They're damn cute!

Honestly I only see myself becoming more strict over the years. I may have to give up that damn delicious gravy on my roast potatoes.

Cookie

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »
We pretty much eat a vegan diet but we refer to ourselves as plant-based instead -- we still eat honey, wear leather, stuff like that.  Forks Over Knives convinced us about 2 1/2 years ago that a whole foods plant-based diet was the way to go to stay as healthy as we can for as long as we can -- and that was before the early retirement plan took hold.

This describes my husband and I since watching forks over knives in November. I'll wear leather, so am only vegan for food. I didn't realize how unhealthy I ate until I made the switch! Also, how do you make veg friends? We live in an area not conducive to vegans so feel pretty isolated in that regard. I've told my coworkers and they have been very supportive, but my husband's coworkers are rude about it. It's not something I'll bring up now knowing that people get weird about it. It's not like you can argue with me into agreement...

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »
I wish I knew how to make vedge friends too.  Most people look at me as if I have two heads if I say I don't want to eat meat.  Plus, it would be nice to have some people besides my husband who appreciate my cooking and to go out to dinner with.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2015, 09:15:42 AM »
Maybe check if there are any vegetarian meetup groups in your area? There are a couple of really big ones in Vancouver that have events a few times a week, and those would be a great way to meet other vegetarian people.

crazycatlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »

My thoughts exactly on the label.  If one eats meat, one not a vegetarian.   Why do omnivores/carnivores want to call themselves vegetarian/vegan when they are not?

Another long term vegetarian here 15+ years.  Before that I ate very little meat because it made me feel tremendously guilty, to the point where I was physically ill.   As soon as I made the decision I never looked back and have never wanted to eat another dead animal.  It was a tremendous relief and I should have done it as a child.  I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons, so I don't buy new leather and therefore have not purchased a pair of shoes, other than nonleather running shoes for 10 years.  I think it is ok for vegetarians/vegans to continue to use and wear out the leather items they owned prior to becoming vegetarian (as long as they didn't stock up ahead of time) with the idea of not being wasteful.  Approximately 10 years ago I did buy some lightly used leather Danskos on ebay, not an ideal solution and I wouldn't do it again.

I do strongly recommend finding some fellow vegetarians for support, in fact my DH and my closest friends are vegetarian.  I would say vegetarianism is my core value so it is definitely something I look for in others.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2015, 07:21:39 PM »
Here's a short powerful video (without actually seeing violence).

I'm so proud to see so many Mustaschians who think about this.

From legalized slavery, women not allowed to vote, to gays marrying, we're evolving. The idea that we are lords over other sentient beings, with no compunction for their welfare should in today's society be unconscionable.

We can be better human beings.

beberly37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »
Been vegetarian since 2004...last meat before deciding to be vegetarian was taco bell beef...no wonder I stopped.  I have crossed the line a few times, like when my wife and I ate deer steaks a relative gave us "medicinally" because we thought we needed more animal protein.  What a let down that was, I was picturing feeling like Popeye on spinach, but nothing.  We also have eaten broth made from two of our backyard hens we culled last year, but that was an ethical dilemma of eat animals or waste resources.  Then there was that one time at a mexican restaurant with two other vegetarians, we all ordered the veggie burrito and simultaneously discovered in the first bite there was beef in the sauce on top....that doesn't count either.  The one other person in our party was not a vegetarian and she was very angry at the restaurant for us.   

I wish I knew how to make vedge friends too.  Most people look at me as if I have two heads if I say I don't want to eat meat.  Plus, it would be nice to have some people besides my husband who appreciate my cooking and to go out to dinner with.

Finding a population of veggies will depend on where you live,  if you are in Berkeley, CA, you can't throw a Birkenstock without hitting a vegetarian restaurant...in Morgantown, WV, vegetarian means "no visible pieces of beef".  But even in the steakhouse bastion of mountaineer country, there is still a hippie health-food store with card-carrying vegans to guilt trip you about tortured silkworms or something else you didn't even know to worry about.

Google is your friend.  Check out meetups like others have suggested, there are a number of vegetarian forums that probably have local sections. 

Having been vegetarian in both very conservative and liberal areas, more people will think you are crazy for mustachian lifestyle than will for not eating meat.  I get more flack these days about organic than for vegetarian, they get bored.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2015, 09:47:21 PM »
Dr. McDougall's website forum is a good place to look for other vegans, although, of course, they will be following his program (which is whole-food, plant-based, starch-centric, no oil).  I have met many vegans through there.

I became vegan on my 28th birthday, as a gift to myself and to animals.  The McDougall website has so much great information about health and nutrition that it convinced me it was the path for me.  I devoured his website over about 2 months before deciding to quit animals and animal products on my birthday.  I am always recommending it to others in search of better health (that and the Forks Over Knives documentary).  I was also very happy to not "need" to harm animals for my own survival or protein requirements.  Having read numerous plant-based nutrition books, I feel I know more about healthy eating than most.

Over the years I have slipped into vegetarianism, but I am back on the McDougall program because I know the results I get from it - lower weight, lower cholesterol, reversal and prevention of heart disease, and also not being part of the dairy/egg industry, so not hurting animals makes me happy too.  Also, I enjoy it and it's very cheap eating.  Animal products are too rich.

Some of the authors, doctors, and regular folk I follow:

Dr. Esselstyn (Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease) and his son's Engine 2 Diet
Jeff Novick, nutritionist
Dr. McDougall (Starchivore, many more)
The Campbells (The China Study, Forks Over Knives)
Anti-Cancer (written by doctor, forget his name)
Ruth Heidrich (Race for Life, Senior Fitness)
Potato Strong guy (www.potatostrong.com)
Plant-Fueled Trucker (on Facebook)

I always wish more people knew of this life-saving information.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:50:35 PM by carozy »

atrex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
I'm vegetarian, trending toward vegan.  S.O. started out fish and poultry, is now veg, and I think she is the one pushing the envelope now, good for her!

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:30 PM »
Mostly vegetarian since 1998, I started cutting back on fish and meat as a budgetary measure while still in university, and never really got back in the habit of eating them. Full-time vegetarian since about 2000, I think. Vegan would be too much for me, I really, really love dairy products and refuse to cut yoghurt and cheese out of my daily menu. These are also the two things I miss most when living abroad (I've spent a year in Canada, and believe me, your dairy aisle sucks compared to what's in our supermarkets...).

tat96

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2015, 07:10:48 AM »
I am a vegan as is my wife.  She is originally the one who turned me on to it.  I came down stairs one morning after realizing she was not in bed.  She had been downstairs watching Netflix documentaries all night (Forks Over Knives, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, etc.) and we changed right then and there.  We didn't even go through "vegetarian" transition.  Just quit "cold turkey" or the vegan equivalent.

I still wear leather products so I guess this makes us "plant-based" and not true vegans, but leather goods are a job requirement as the U.S. military has yet to produce vegan combat boots.

The thing I like is that it is much easier to eat Vegan than it used to be.  I remember growing up in Southern California and it was possible to find tofu and soy milk but you had to go to a specialty store, it was expensive, and tasted like crap.  Nowadays, every store I walk in has tofu, vanilla soymilk, and quinoa in abundance!!  Plus the prices are great!!  Since moving to veganism our grocery bills have plummeted!  Not buying animal products has helped us save a ton on groceries.  Not to mention, I rarely throw food away.  I was always throwing eggs, milk, and chicken in the trash over the years because it went bad so quick and I was always getting food poisoning.  Now I hardly ever get food poisoning.

Lastly, my friends and family have been cautiously supportive.  They don't really care what we eat, but I think they believe Veganism is a communicable disease or a cult.  Like "it's great you guys are eating healthy but don't try to convert me" (we live in the deep south) so we get a lot of negativity.  Everyone is shocked that I have lost 20 pounds of fat and put on about 4 pounds of muscle.  This is not supposed to happen to people that are clearly protein deficient!!  Wife has lost over 20 pounds.  Granted all the negativity is coming from people who are morbidly obese and are diabetic so I guess this is a good thing:)

P.S.  Does anyone else feel that nutritional education in this country is on par with financial education?  E.g. totally lacking!! I am constantly amazed at what passes for healthy food with some people!!!  Sugar laden granola, fruit juices with no juice, yogurt filled with sugar, diet soda's, etc.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »
Vegan and Vegetarianism isn't as unusual as it once was.  Perhaps this is just my myopic view of living in an urban center for the past decade.

I occasionally eat everything except red meat.  90%+ of the time I do not eat any meat.  I guess I'll go with the 'Flexitarian' label above.

My SO is 100% Vegetarian. 

I used to work years back with a Vegetarian* who once a year ate Chicken Wings.  I guess that was about as close as one could get without being 100% Vegetarian.

Eludia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »
Vegan for 6+ years.  My wife and son eat meat but mostly out at restaurants.  At home we I always eat vegan and they do too 95% of the time.  When I travel for work, I am told they binge eat meat.  We have separate pans for them to cook meat in thankfully.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2015, 10:04:35 AM »
I’m definitely an omnivore but I would like to incorporate a lot more vegetarian and/or vegan recipes into our routine to bring greater variety to our diet while lowering the average cost per meal (meats and cheeses always end up increasing a meal’s cost by about 50%, even when it’s not the star of the show).

I’m having poor luck though finding nice, hearty vegetarian/vegan meals that are more than just a soup or pasta dish.  Are there any websites or cookbooks people here would recommend to find better recipes?  Heck, I’ll even take your favorite recipe if people here don’t mind a mild amount of thread jacking.

Thanks all.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2015, 10:41:13 AM »
I do 100% plant based at home and VERY occasionally some kind of meat in a social situation. Although even that less and less. Don't really care what camp that puts me in, I just feel it's the most healthy and environmentally conscious way to eat. I do have great respect for the folks who draw a line in the sand and stick to it 100%

I think that it's a far more accepted way of eating than it used to be. I travel for work a lot and there are vegan/vegetarian restaurants or options and grocery store food items pretty much everywhere. Even in Texas! People in general don't make a big deal out of it either. I think I get a lot more of the 'What? You're in shape, where do you get ur protein bro?" than any real looking down on it.

crazycatlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2015, 11:11:56 AM »
I’m definitely an omnivore but I would like to incorporate a lot more vegetarian and/or vegan recipes into our routine to bring greater variety to our diet while lowering the average cost per meal (meats and cheeses always end up increasing a meal’s cost by about 50%, even when it’s not the star of the show).

I’m having poor luck though finding nice, hearty vegetarian/vegan meals that are more than just a soup or pasta dish.  Are there any websites or cookbooks people here would recommend to find better recipes?  Heck, I’ll even take your favorite recipe if people here don’t mind a mild amount of thread jacking.

Thanks all.

My favourite vegan cookbook author is Isa Chandra Moskowich. Her newest book, "Isa does it" is the best, I think. Maybe your library has it? You can also find many of her recipes on her website, The Post Punk Kitchen, http://www.theppk.com

I also highly recommend the Post Punk Kitchen as well as her books.  On her website she has a fabulous recipe for vegan sausages which I have passed on to many with rave reviews.  Also she has an excellent seitan from scratch recipe.

Another author I recommend is Lindsay Nixon who has a short series of books called the Happy Herbivore as well as a website.  Her recipes are also very healthy (keep in mind, not all vegan recipes are necessarily low in fat) and are generally for 2 so they work well for a couple.

OlyFish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »
I was vegan for over a year, but it messed with my hormones. I actually developed PCOS while on the vegan diet, which went away when I went back omni.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2015, 04:30:13 AM »
Vegetarian since I was 17 and then I went vegan in 2006.

chesterfield_king

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2015, 04:49:32 AM »
Vegan for five years.

surething22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
Vegan for six years. The animals aren't ours.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2015, 01:54:06 AM »
I was vegan for over a year, but it messed with my hormones. I actually developed PCOS while on the vegan diet, which went away when I went back omni.

That sounds really unfortunate. I don't know anything about PCOS but I looked it up and it sounds awful. :( Do you know what the reason for this was? Is there any way it wasn't the absence of the animal products but the absence of vital nutrients also found in these animal products but also in plants?

Like I said, I dont know anything about PCOS, but if I google 'pcos vegan'I come across a lot of post about the fact that people treated their PCOS with a vegan diet so I guess it would be possible.

I'm just commenting because I personally would want to know what caused it and how I could still eat vegan healthfully because I could not go back to eating animal products.

http://thekindlife.com/blog/2013/04/treat-pcos-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome-with-vegan-plant-based-diet/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/381328-pcos-and-a-vegan-diet/

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2015, 05:06:59 AM »

Thanks all.

A few of my favorite websites with recipes in no particular order:

http://minimalistbaker.com/recipes/vegan/
http://ohmyveggies.com/category/vegan-recipes/
http://www.veggieful.com/
http://www.thugkitchen.com/
http://www.simple-veganista.com/
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/special-diets/vegan/
http://www.theppk.com/
http://sweetpotatosoul.com/
http://deliciouslyella.com/
http://ohdeardrea.blogspot.nl/p/recipes.html
http://ohsheglows.com/
http://littlemissmeatfree.co.uk/

And all kinds of Dutch sites I won't bother posting ;)

Some of my favourite diners off the top of my head:

Steamed plantains with baked kidney/black beans and tomatoes and avocado and rice. Spices: cumin, cilantro, cayenne.
Curries with e.g. potatoes, chickpeas, vegetables with rice and/or naanbread (vegan version) or pitabread with mango chutney
Pasta (but you already mentioned this), so many different versions ;)
Bean burritos with corn, tomatoes, avocado, mango
Wraps with everything, also with leftovers.
Homemade pizza with grilled vegetables
Gado gado – rice with vegetables and sate sauce
Baked potatoes or oven fried with a big salad
Black bean/chickpea burgers or falafel with pitabread or baked potatoes
All kinds of soups: spicy red curry, pumpkin, roasted tomato, roasted bell pepper, sweet potato and so on
Stews with seitan or (sweet) potatoes (something like this e.g. http://www.mountainmamacooks.com/2015/02/sweet-potato-peanut-stew/)
Stir-fries with marinated tofu or just some awesome mix of veggies

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »

Thanks all.

Steamed plantains with baked kidney/black beans and tomatoes and avocado and rice. Spices: cumin, cilantro, cayenne.
Curries with e.g. potatoes, chickpeas, vegetables with rice and/or naanbread (vegan version) or pitabread with mango chutney
All kinds of soups: spicy red curry, pumpkin, roasted tomato, roasted bell pepper, sweet potato and so on
Stews with seitan or (sweet) potatoes (something like this e.g. http://www.mountainmamacooks.com/2015/02/sweet-potato-peanut-stew/)

Budget bytes is still my cooking bible. There are several vegetarian recipes on it as well: http://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetarian/

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »
Nutrition has always fascinated me.  I was a vegetarian for probably twenty years, then started eating meat again, was a serious meat eater for many years, and now I'm an omnivore who very occasionally eats meat.  I am extremely active physically, and being open to everything food-wise seems a good idea to me.  For example, when I'm out in the middle of nowhere on a several day bike ride, you bet I'll eat a hot dog if a hot dog stand is the only source of food available (and I'll easily enjoy it, too.)  But left to my own devices, I eat mostly vegetarian.  The Forks Over Knives movie and book and its progeny are interesting, but I react badly to the sense of people making a living off of pushing a certain view point, and I get more than a bit of that sense from that material, as well as from other more sensationalist ways of eating, like paleo or Atkins or you name the latest craze.  I wish there was sound, thoroughly science-based and well-researched information on the healthiest way to eat, but though I've read deeply and widely in this area for all my adult years (and I'm no kid, so we're talking decades), I don't think we have it yet.  One sound principle is, NO SUGAR.  But other than that -- meat or no meat, hi-carb or low carb, high fat or low fat? hell, you can find convincing stuff on every position. 

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2015, 08:28:19 PM »
100% vegan but my spouse is a meat-lover.  Causes some minor arguments, especially when traveling, but neither of us is changing ;)

OlyFish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2015, 11:30:03 PM »

That sounds really unfortunate. I don't know anything about PCOS but I looked it up and it sounds awful. :( Do you know what the reason for this was? Is there any way it wasn't the absence of the animal products but the absence of vital nutrients also found in these animal products but also in plants?

Like I said, I dont know anything about PCOS, but if I google 'pcos vegan'I come across a lot of post about the fact that people treated their PCOS with a vegan diet so I guess it would be possible.

I'm just commenting because I personally would want to know what caused it and how I could still eat vegan healthfully because I could not go back to eating animal products.

http://thekindlife.com/blog/2013/04/treat-pcos-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome-with-vegan-plant-based-diet/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/381328-pcos-and-a-vegan-diet/

I think I just personally require a higher protein diet than was feasible as a vegan. I also believe my body does not process gluten or soy very well (for some reason seasonal allergy symptoms get worse) and I was leaning heavily on those for protein as a vegan. Now I do a lot of fish, especially things like sardines and clams. Limited grains.

On the vegan diet my cholesterol was maybe 148... Omni it has been anywhere from 120 to 154. It did not make much positive difference and was negatively affecting me in several ways. I was vegan for health reasons which did not pan out, so I changed. I still do think it is a good option for those with cardiac or vascular disease.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2015, 01:25:15 AM »

Thanks all.

Budget bytes is still my cooking bible. There are several vegetarian recipes on it as well: http://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetarian/

That's funny, according to the pictures, I know some of these recipes but did not bookmark this site although it's really good. Also good vegan recipes, thanks!

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2015, 06:46:23 AM »
My husband, my boyfriend, and I are eating/living vegan.

It's ethics for me, environment and cost for husband, and my boyfriend is more of a vegetarian at heart but eats lives vegan to please me.

I think a lot of people have an "alternative"gene to seek out "New and different", because I'm different on  lot of fronts in what I desire in my life, Mustachianism is just the latest.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »
I think I just personally require a higher protein diet than was feasible as a vegan. I also believe my body does not process gluten or soy very well (for some reason seasonal allergy symptoms get worse) and I was leaning heavily on those for protein as a vegan. Now I do a lot of fish, especially things like sardines and clams. Limited grains.

On the vegan diet my cholesterol was maybe 148... Omni it has been anywhere from 120 to 154. It did not make much positive difference and was negatively affecting me in several ways. I was vegan for health reasons which did not pan out, so I changed. I still do think it is a good option for those with cardiac or vascular disease.

How high is high? I try to shoot for the 1gr/lb of bodyweight so around 170 grams of protein a day. Could go higher with more supplements.

BrandonP

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2015, 04:01:03 PM »
I'm not, but I have cut down on meat substantially. The amount of meat people eat overall is excessive. Also, I find it substantially more expensive than eating like a vegetarian.

I base my food on vegetables, and rice/potatoes etc, not meat. it used to be meat, which is the standard. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!