Author Topic: Any information on Tampa FL? Have to move.  (Read 2893 times)

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
Any information on Tampa FL? Have to move.
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »
Hi all!  DH just got notified that he's getting military orders to move to Tampa next year (mixed bag of feelings on that from me).  I've never been to Tampa but it seems like the crime stats are ALL over the place.  Can anyone suggest any good neighborhoods a reasonable distance from Macdill? 

We are HUGE outdoors people (in fact I collected about 20lbs of chanterelles in the past two days here in NoVa woop woop!) but it looks like the Gulf Coast fishing is meh unless you go out over 30 miles, is this true?  And wow I checked the environmental reports on the Bay, and it doesn't look like I'd want to eat anything out of there.  Does anyone know of any places to hunt near there?

Looking for any and all recommendations on fun things to do and where to do them as well as an inside on housing down there.

Thanks in advance!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Any information on Tampa FL? Have to move.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
I grew up in the Tampa Bay Area, and have been back often. I can’t advise you on neighborhoods because like any other big place there’s a lot of variety.

But there are PLENTY of places to fish and hunt, and great beaches, and lots to do.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:08:04 PM »
No super-helpful advice here, but I lived there for a few years in my mid-20s and loved it. Lots of nearby parks for hiking & biking, good access to beaches, lots of interesting neighborhoods. I have a number of friends with diverse interests & social groups... all seem to enjoy it and there seems to be a niche for everyone. I'd move there again without any reservations!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:40:04 AM »
No super-helpful advice here, but I lived there for a few years in my mid-20s and loved it. Lots of nearby parks for hiking & biking, good access to beaches, lots of interesting neighborhoods. I have a number of friends with diverse interests & social groups... all seem to enjoy it and there seems to be a niche for everyone. I'd move there again without any reservations!

Anyone know if there is any good diving in the area?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:02:53 AM »

If you are interested in fresh water diving, central Florida has a number of sinkholes that are popular for diving. The Gulf is not super interesting for divers unless you're going sponging or scallop fishing.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »

If you are interested in fresh water diving, central Florida has a number of sinkholes that are popular for diving. The Gulf is not super interesting for divers unless you're going sponging or scallop fishing.

We are for sure interested in scalloping, but it looks like that's mostly snorkeling the panhandle grass flats?  Do you know how the stone crabbing is on that coast?  I apologize all of our visits have been mostly to the east coast and the keys so the Gulf Coast is a whole new ecosystem to me.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »

We are for sure interested in scalloping, but it looks like that's mostly snorkeling the panhandle grass flats?  Do you know how the stone crabbing is on that coast?  I apologize all of our visits have been mostly to the east coast and the keys so the Gulf Coast is a whole new ecosystem to me.
There are crab traps all over the place during stone crab season, so I assume it's pretty good! I don't actually fish, but I think some people use tanks for scalloping - maybe just so they can get the few that are in deeper water?

I just moved to the Tampa area from further south. MacDill is pretty isolated, being on it's own peninsula. I don't know the housing situation in the immediate area near the base, but I would look there first. Otherwise, you've got to bridge hop from Pinellas County or deal with airport traffic. Depending on your DH's schedule that could be a real bear.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »
No expert here, however we have spent some time just south of the area. Many, many places to kayak. Beach combing. Biking. Inland snorkeling on some of the clear rivers etc.

Fishing is good during the season for snook, red fish, and pompano. Check for peak times of the year as well as (slot) regulations. Florida is VERY strict on fish and wildlife laws.

Hope that helps.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
Lived in the area for many years and the fishing is amazing!

In shore fishing
Flounder
Sea Trout
Redfish
Snook
Drum
Sheepshead
Tarpon
Spanish mackerel
Cobia
Mullet (great smoked you need to either snag them or use a cast net)

Off shore
Grouper
Sea bass
Various rock fish
Sharks
Ray's
Barracuda
Bonita
King mackerel
Cobia

Crabbing
Blue crabs
Stone Crab claws

Diving...

Venice Beach for shark teeth
Lots of cavern diving vortex springs, devil's den, blue grotto, Ginnie springs so many they are all over the place
Fresh water springs
Key largo for a weekend trip
Southern FL for some lobster diving
Check scubaboard there is a Florida section and they do a scuba bash @ Ginnie springs

I would also recommend going to rainbow river and float down it in some tubes

Ft DeSoto is cool and the Dali museum is worth checking out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:02:06 PM by the_fixer »

dabears847

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 08:28:09 AM »
Moved to the Tampa area about a year ago and we love it! I work in downtown Tampa and we are always looking for something fun and new experiences. I'm going to look into one of the suggestions just mentioned on snorkeling in caverns.... Where?

Boating is big, fishing is popular with many community events surrounding contests on biggest catch etc. There are boat clubs in case you don't want to maintain a boat. There are numerous boating areas to beach ones boat and hang out in your own private island or with other boaters. 

The beaches are great and any weekend can turn to an adventure visiting different areas. The summers are hot but one can plan around the season with water activities or treat them like one would with ice cold winters up north.

Westchase, Carrolwood, Lutzs, South Tampa all have some really nice pockets depending on your interests. South Tampa is very different to the others mentioned. I'd recommend renting for a year to search the area and determine what you like from food scene, shopping, beaches, water access, etc. City-data has research available on neighborhoods as well. Schools are hard to find in Fl, seems to go more private, but there are pockets of good public schools. Commuting over the bridges are done by all including myself but I wouldn't recommend it.

Places to visit, Treasure Island, Clearwater, St. Pete all of it from downtown to the beaches, Forte Desoto, dog beaches, water parks for families, Orlando for weekend, sooo many restaurants to try. The views everywhere are priceless.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 07:28:25 PM »
DH and I are HUGE proponents of environmental regulations, both our families have been directly effected by it.

Grouper spots off the gulf coast look sparse, I do a lot of geography stuff for a living so looking at the rock piles looks minimal?