Author Topic: Anti mustachian habits that are worth it to you?  (Read 25456 times)

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
Re: Anti mustachian habits that are worth it to you?
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »
[pokes head up above rock to weigh in on house cleaner debate]

Yeah, so, the cleaners are another anti-mustachian habit that I am not willing to give up.  And this is a thread about which anti-mustachian choices people think are worth it.  So while I am completely with Anna in theory, I am with Mr. Different in practice.

The thing is, I'm not going to make any excuses for it.  I do have an actual legit reason for it (allergies = cleaning triggers my asthma).  But let's be straight:  I would have cleaners anyway.  Not because I'm too busy, or because it's a more cost-effective use of my time, or wah-wah-wah.  Just because I fucking hate cleaning.  I grew up spending the first half of every Saturday cleaning the house, and vowing that I would never do that again when I grew up and got a job and had my own money.  I don't get anything resembling zen when I am "in the moment" scrubbing a tub; I get no sense of achievement from seeing the floor dusted, nor do I take the slightest molecule of joy in seeing my space all pristine.  Nope:  cleaning is nothing more than sheer drudgery that is performed solely to comply with basic modern sanitation standards.

And, frankly, I grew up in an era in which the little woman was expected to stay home and cook and clean.  My entire life has been a giant "fuck you" to those expectations.  So at an emotional level, cleaning the house feels less like badassity than it does kowtowing to ancient gender stereotypes.  I earn my money, I take care of my family, and I am damned if I'm going to spend the weekend down on my knees instead of enjoying time with my kids.

So in the realm of anti-mustachian choices that are worth it, cleaners are right up there for me.  I have done the math, I know exactly how much more I need in my 'stache to cover cleaners until I die, and I am more than happy to work that extra couple of months to never have to clean my house again.

That is all.

I am also going to agree with this 100%!

I do not have a house cleaner YET, I live in the middle of nowhere and have not found one that doesn't want to charge me a ridiculous fee because I am in the middle of nowhere.  I absolutely hate to clean, I am willing to make other sacrifices in my life so that I can pay somebody else to vacuum/sweep.

I follow MMM because at the end of the day the message is to save enough money to not have to do something you don't like doing.  That usually falls under the "work/job" category but I don't see cleaning as any different!  Actually I generally will choose work/job over cleaning, that is a small part of the reason I am not a stay at home parent.

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »
I have a motorbike that I haven't yet sold. It is a 250cc bike that was a great commuter for my last job but now I've got a company vehicle (and an 8 minute commute to the office) so it is only a toy...one more summer!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
I follow MMM because at the end of the day the message is to save enough money to not have to do something you don't like doing.  That usually falls under the "work/job" category but I don't see cleaning as any different!  Actually I generally will choose work/job over cleaning, that is a small part of the reason I am not a stay at home parent.

I well remember the days of being a SAHM where I said (and meant it) that I would be more than happy to work whatever job would pay enough to pay a cleaning lady. I hated it sooo much. I'm more accepting of it these days and am OK doing it myself although my house is far from sparkling clean.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »
A long-distance romantic relationship sounds un-mustachian to me. There have GOT to be romantic partners who are 60%-80% as good within five miles of you. Collect about three or four of them instead :-)

I have to assume this was directed at me, in which case good news: he's working on moving. :)

Though if we define "mustachian" as "similar to MMM himself" then a temporary long-distance relationship absolutely qualifies.

Tass- I hope my good-natured kidding came across clearly. Best of luck to you in your relationship!

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »
A long-distance romantic relationship sounds un-mustachian to me. There have GOT to be romantic partners who are 60%-80% as good within five miles of you. Collect about three or four of them instead :-)

I have to assume this was directed at me, in which case good news: he's working on moving. :)

Though if we define "mustachian" as "similar to MMM himself" then a temporary long-distance relationship absolutely qualifies.

Tass- I hope my good-natured kidding came across clearly. Best of luck to you in your relationship!

Lol, yes, it did. I laughed. My response was fully bragging about a recent happy development in my life.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2017, 06:15:14 PM »

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »
LOL - JLee, a picture is worth a thousand words. :D

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »
LOL - JLee, a picture is worth a thousand words. :D

haha yeah, I figured that would sum it up pretty well.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »
Scallops - I cook them, or eat out
I live in the midwest, I can't just go out and catch a scallop!

We turned our dining room into a sewing room - I sew way more than I dine

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
Quality food, but I am cutting back some. 

The biggest problem in our home is the bikes.  We also have a trailer habit.  Although, our current trailer is a used pop up.  We do want a new one, and I imagine that we will buy another used one. 

For the most part, we live rather frugally.  We can afford a much larger home and newer car.   Our tiny home is just fine.

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
By far the biggest anti mustachian thing in my life is my home climbing wall.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »
By far the biggest anti mustachian thing in my life is my home climbing wall.

This is in your house!!! It might not be MMM badass but it is it's own definition of badass.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!