Author Topic: Anti mustachian habits that are worth it to you?  (Read 25401 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Anti mustachian habits that are worth it to you?
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:15:51 AM »
I buy fresh flowers because they seem to make me keep my house cleaner.
I have a cat because snuggles.
I heat my house however I want it at the time, because I'm not interested in being cold. I've had times where I've HAD to be cold, and now I can afford to be warm, I will be.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
Re: Anti mustachian habits that are worth it to you?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:29:36 AM »
I spend serious cash on my photography hobby.  Might be a paid gig some day.  I really enjoy it and plan to do a lot more in retirement.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 03:18:08 AM »
We Light up the hot water heater for special occasions.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 04:13:45 AM »
We spend too much money on good food (at home; restaurants are a rare treat).  The cheap starch diet is not for us.

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 04:52:59 AM »
Heating up water that is already hot is truly anti-mustachian.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 04:57:34 AM »
We spend too much money on good food (at home; restaurants are a rare treat).  The cheap starch diet is not for us.
[/quote

This.
 Was in Vegas not long ago and had an incredible dinner at SW at the Wynn.  It was an ABSURD amount of money and worth every penny.  Now that I'm back home we're back to reality and saving money. 

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
Video games.   Most of my immediate family plays so it ends up being a real fun time with a VoIP chat system going.

I know I should be exercising or practically anything else instead....

But the fun per hour is very high for me.

Now you guys know my dirty secret!

surfhb

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 08:44:39 AM »
I drive 100 miles a day for my commute to be able to live near the ocean.   Worth every min and penny 🌈🏄🌺👍🏽

I make up for it in other ways:  I've been driving the same vehicle since college... I'm almost 50 now
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:48:10 AM by surfhb »

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »
+1 on the cat snuggles, absolutely.
+1 on the flowers - $4.99 for a small bunch and it brightens up the whole kitchen

Food. Specifically, home-delivered pre-portioned grocery subscription and a fair bit of eating out, at actual restaurants with friends. Nothing makes you feel well-off like someone else waiting on you, as you enjoy time out with awesome people.

It may not be mustachian, but I quickly discovered the alternatives are not cooking at all, and loneliness.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
Food that doesn't kill my stomach.  I'm celiac and you bet your ass I'll spend $5 on that loaf of gluten free bread.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
Paying someone to clean my house. Could I do it myself? Of course. Would I? Certainly not often enough, and definitely not with a joyful attitude!

I did, however, make a compromise to every two weeks (instead of weekly) nearly two years ago, and that has been perfectly fine.

ETA:
Also, a relatively pricey gym membership ($155/mo for unlimited classes). I suck at doing the regular gym thing. This is like having a personal trainer, and IMO much more enjoyable (also WAY cheaper than a personal trainer). Classes are from a few people up to 24, you sign up for a time (keeps me committed!), it’s a combo of cardio and strength, and it’s different every time. Great workout and no thinking required. Works for me and very well worth it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:09:54 PM by Step37 »

EmFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »
My gym membership. I LOVE to exercise. I love exercising away from my house. If I exercised at home I would hate it so much and never do it. I have tried. I love getting to my gym and seeing other people. I love watching the personal trainers and learning new things. I love the group fitness classes. The gym is a happy place for me and so worth it for my physical and mental well-being. Perhaps if I worked full-time outside of the home I could enjoy working out at home, but since I am at home during the day with my young kids, I adore that time outside of my house to be by myself and take care of my mind and body.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
We are a many-bicycle household and the bicycles aren't Mustachian beatarounds. They're also not our primary mode of transport, they are 100% playthings. Furthermore, tinkering with the bicycles is one of my husband's favourite recreations, and he's a "right tools for the job" sort of person. I can't believe how many gadgets and unguents he has for our bikes. I don't interfere. We're not big spenders elsewhere ...

um

... except that we love taking our bikes on vacation so that we can ride in warm sunny places during the miserable British winter.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
Pilates classes - I love pilates, love the teacher and love the other people in my class.  I do it during lunch twice a week and it makes the workday bearable.

Eating out/socializing- we do this 2-3 times a month and love it.  We pack lunch and bring snacks for the kids but a few times a month we eat out at relatively cheap restaurants with friends and it's great.

International travel to see my aging parents.  This is a huge priority for me.  I want my kids to know their grandparents.

Various classes for the kids.  I want my kids to be able to explore their passions outside of school.  Nothing crazy but they each do a few thing like scouts, coding, music.  If they don't like something we drop it no issues and try something else.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »
Membership to a boutique fitness studio that I LOVE, but costs me $125/month. I justify it since I go at lunch 3-4x a week, and on those days (at least) pack a lunch.

Getting the house cleaned every 2 weeks. It's worth every penny.

Good ingredients.

A fair amount of travel.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 02:49:19 PM »
Lawnmower service
SUV - like sitting higher and like my space when driving
2800 square foot house in high end neighborhood - not huge by American standards but is by mustachean standards
Frequent vacations- love traveling
Organic non carb loading foods

I guess I'm not mustachean. I do save 50-60% of post tax income, however.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »
My car.  No possible justification for it, but it makes me happy every single time I drive it -- doesn't matter if it's 40 or 100 out, I will have the top down and a huge grin on my face.  I figure something that makes rush hour tolerable is worth its weight in gold.

Cleaners every other week.  You will pry them out of my cold dead hands.

I get a pedicure 2-3x/yr.  I get to sit in a seated massage chair for 1-1.5 hrs, soak my feet, get a foot massage and get all the callouses and dry skin and all taken care of, and walk out at the end of it with pretty toes.  All for $45, which includes a $10 tip.  Worth every penny.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »
+1 on the kitty snuggles.

I wear makeup and dye my hair weird colors. It's fun and makes me happy.

Occasional concerts and live theater, and general supporting of the arts and artists.

Wine.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
These are all awesome posts. Love hearing about the things that aren't always that cheap, but that make mustachianism worth it on a daily basis. We all know it's soooo worth it long term.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »
+1 on cat, and also dog, for snuggles, laughter, and connection
+1 on food: for me, often prepackaged, frozen, or deli meals, so not quite restaurant expense but not ingredients that I assemble myself
+1 on keeping the house warm
+1 on video games. Bang for the buck, they're much cheaper than movies on a per-hour basis. (But I also work in the games industry, so it's partly a business expense to keep up to date.)

Also:
Netflix and Amazon Prime, and a nice TV.
Electric blanket, because screw getting chilled at night in the wintertime.
Comic books. Because the good ones are wonderful (Saga FTW!), and sitting with spouse on the couch on the weekends reading together brings us both joy.
High-quality bed, because of tricky back issues.

Someday, spouse & I may invest in a housecleaner. That is the one non-mustachian thing I want but haven't yet set in motion. I haven't yet been able to justify the expense to myself. Also I'm not crazy about having strangers in my space. But maybe someday.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 04:56:09 PM »

Like for a shower?

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
I usually go to Starbucks and Saturday and Sunday. My apartment is 375 square feet, and getting a coffee maker would cost valuable counter space. And anyway, I like getting out of the apartment on the weekends for a bit. I get a regular black or iced coffee, then get the free refill to bring home to my wife. I'm a sucker for Starbucks' rewards program even though there are plenty of better coffee shops around.

Though my new job has a cold brew keg on tap, so I may just abuse the privilege and bring some of that home. There's also a beer tap. :D

We also occasionally go out to high end restaurants, but not so much since we had our son.

SimpleSpartan

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 08:05:33 PM »
Lawnmower service
SUV - like sitting higher and like my space when driving
2800 square foot house in high end neighborhood - not huge by American standards but is by mustachean standards
Frequent vacations- love traveling
Organic non carb loading foods

I guess I'm not mustachean. I do save 50-60% of post tax income, however.

2800 sq ft is most certainly large by american standards, average home is aproximately 2200 sq ft.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »
I usually go to Starbucks and Saturday and Sunday. My apartment is 375 square feet, and getting a coffee maker would cost valuable counter space. And anyway, I like getting out of the apartment on the weekends for a bit. I get a regular black or iced coffee, then get the free refill to bring home to my wife. I'm a sucker for Starbucks' rewards program even though there are plenty of better coffee shops around.

Though my new job has a cold brew keg on tap, so I may just abuse the privilege and bring some of that home. There's also a beer tap. :D

We also occasionally go out to high end restaurants, but not so much since we had our son.

You live in 375 sq ft with a wife and son? That's badass. I'd love to see a picture of what an apartment that size looks like.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 09:38:08 PM »
I think this thread answers the question in the thread below with a resounding "Yes"

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/weird-fourm-coversations-has-the-community-gone-soft

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 01:31:05 AM »
I think this thread answers the question in the thread below with a resounding "Yes"

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/weird-fourm-coversations-has-the-community-gone-soft

Militant adherence to principles is great. It's worthy and good. But human beings rarely operate that way long term. Small expenditures that give people pleasure actually keep them on track long term. The mustachian trick is to do things that actually DO give pleasure, and not just purchases that have bought into the bullshit spendy society we live in. IMO. If you think that's going soft, then I guess you have every opportunity to do things differently, huh?

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 01:53:44 AM »
Every year I set aside 1.5k for my share of our annual one-to-two-week holiday, and make very little effort if any to restrain spending while away. The money covers travel and accommodation, though.

Even on that, though, I'm not sure things will remain that way. We spent three days in an AirBnB in Vienna this summer, and I ended up popping out to the shop on the first morning to buy pastries and Nespresso capsules because I had no intention of paying a tenner for a breakfast we could do ourselves for a quarter of the price. I ended up coming home with money left over.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 04:26:50 AM »

I think there is room within Mustachianism for one or two minor splurges that help keep you happy.  As long as you're not going whole-hog on multiple fronts.  For example, DW and I spend more than most Mustachians on food (although probably still less than most middle-class Americans), and I don't even want to tell you how much we spend feeding the birds that make our home-bound existence worthwhile.  But we eschew expensive cars, expensive entertainment, restaurants, big cable TV packages, I phones, new clothes, etc., etc.  Most "normal" people stand with their mouths agape when they find out how frugal we are.  We are saving a huge chunk of our income, have reached FI, and I'm planning to FIRE in January.  Works for us.

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 06:07:04 AM »
I drive 100 miles a day for my commute to be able to live near the ocean.   Worth every min and penny 🌈🏄🌺👍🏽

I make up for it in other ways:  I've been driving the same vehicle since college... I'm almost 50 now

That is kick-ass!! A Subaru?

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 07:09:07 AM »
You live in 375 sq ft with a wife and son? That's badass. I'd love to see a picture of what an apartment that size looks like.

We bought it before we knew we were having a kid. :) We're hoping to keep saving so we can eventually upgrade to a two bedroom before the kid gets too big (~5 year old). I mean, we could afford something bigger right now, but we'd rather not be house poor, so we're delaying the purchase as long as possible.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
I think there is room within Mustachianism for one or two minor splurges that help keep you happy. 

This. It's all about happiness.  If lighting your cigars with hundred dollar bills is what makes you truly happy, and you can afford it, go for it! 

But if there's maybe a less expensive way to achieve the same or even greater happiness, consider that instead. 

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »

I think there is room within Mustachianism for one or two minor splurges that help keep you happy.  As long as you're not going whole-hog on multiple fronts.  For example, DW and I spend more than most Mustachians on food (although probably still less than most middle-class Americans), and I don't even want to tell you how much we spend feeding the birds that make our home-bound existence worthwhile.  But we eschew expensive cars, expensive entertainment, restaurants, big cable TV packages, I phones, new clothes, etc., etc.  Most "normal" people stand with their mouths agape when they find out how frugal we are.  We are saving a huge chunk of our income, have reached FI, and I'm planning to FIRE in January.  Works for us.

This.

The point is happiness, not frugality. Frugality is just one tool to help get you to happiness. If a few small splurges help you get there, and you're not derailing your goals, more power to you.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
My expensive hairdresser.  I have short, low-maintenance hair and she cuts it in a way that makes it look good with minimal effort.  I've been using her for years and she continues to do a good job, unlike other people I've gone to who seem to relax and start doing a crap job after the first several cuts.  It's not near the $$$ I've seen mentioned in the Overheard at Work thread, but it's not insignificant.

Horses - well, I won't even go in to that, since they're my main motivation for being Mustachian in other areas. :P

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »
The point is happiness, not frugality. Frugality is just one tool to help get you to happiness. If a few small splurges help you get there, and you're not derailing your goals, more power to you.

Yes. Which means that, technically, none of the items folks have listed are anti-mustachian :)  As soon as it's "worth it" to the individual writing, it's Mustachian. i.e., Each poster has made a clear, conscious, affordable choice based on values and true personal joy, which is the actual cult teaching.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
Light up? You have it easy. I have to rub two sticks together to heat mine.

My habit would be my motorcycle, a late model Austrian (KTM). Paid for, and is actually cheaper to operate than the Camry--except for the service, which is around $800. It has been a great bike, and If I need to relax or blow out the cobwebs I head out for a ride. I'm only a few miles way from some of the best riding in the State, if not the Country. I'd like to dump the Camry for a cheap Prius so I can travel a bit more cheaply, but the math isn't right.

I also spend big bucks for a haircut, but it is with a friend who is trying to get her salon biz profitable. I look on it as helping a friend.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2017, 10:48:45 AM »
Our list:
lawn service
roof/gutter cleaning (I am not risking myself falling off the roof from the second story)
pets
extended legroom seating on a plane
Occasionally eating out
Splurged on a good coffee grinder and espresso machine for the house
travel (though that seams ok in the FIRE community though it is splurging)
Home theater

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »

Yes. Which means that, technically, none of the items folks have listed are anti-mustachian :)  As soon as it's "worth it" to the individual writing, it's Mustachian. i.e., Each poster has made a clear, conscious, affordable choice based on values and true personal joy, which is the actual cult teaching.

Agreed. But I think on this forum, anything with hedonistic or materialistic overtones often ends up being judged as anti-mustachian, because some people view the ideal as a spare, Spartan lifestyle, as opposed to the lifestyle that makes that individual happiest in the long run.

There's something to be said for challenging yourself, examining your assumptions about what you can't live without, and redefining happiness as something that comes through service to the world instead of through toys and comforts. But I personally believe there's room for both. Balance in all things.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
Agreed. But I think on this forum, anything with hedonistic or materialistic overtones often ends up being judged as anti-mustachian, because some people view the ideal as a spare, Spartan lifestyle, as opposed to the lifestyle that makes that individual happiest in the long run.

Yes. And I think even more commonly, people confuse "Mustachianism" with "frugality." That's really a different school of thought altogether, and seems to create a lot of confusion on the boards, causing some to yell at others even over value-based, conscious, affordable choices.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
There's something to be said for challenging yourself, examining your assumptions about what you can't live without, and redefining happiness as something that comes through service to the world instead of through toys and comforts. But I personally believe there's room for both. Balance in all things.

As an alternative perspective, I'll say that personally threads like this are disheartening. Every time I buy something blatantly unnecessary, I curse myself for my weakness - either for being too weak to forgo some hedonistic pleasure or for caving to some implicit social pressure. Everyday I attempt to cull down on my desires and divorce my emotional state from physical objects. Often, I fail. But, I will never stop trying. I know I'll never fully succeed (and that's for the best) but, the reward is in the struggle.

I would never judge others for non-financially suicidal spending but, to me, the value of this site comes from others challenging my own desires. I don't need a whole forum to help me rationalize buying an overpriced bottle of whiskey because I'll "value" it, I can do that plenty well on my own! What I need is people to remind me that there's someone out there who is healthier and wealthier than me because they *didnt* buy that whiskey. Someone worth emulating, even if only in the abstract.

But that's just me.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:08 AM »
If it's worth it to you then how is it anti-Mustachian?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
My anti-frugal worth-its:

*Oprah magazine
*paying authors for their work
*a hot and/or foamy drink made by anyone who's not me
*cut flowers
*one semester of circus school

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »

Yeah, I disagree to an extent.  There is no way on planet earth my car is Mustachian.  Period.  End of story. 

It's still worth it to me, though, and I'm going to keep it because my goal in life is not to be the most awesome Mustachian ever.  I want to avoid spending because I am lazy; I want to avoid spending for appearances or ego or to keep up with the Joneses; I want to avoid spending on stuff because modern advertising has convinced me that having something shiny/new is the way to happiness.  I want to think about and really evaluate everything I spend money on, to make sure it is the highest and best use for that money.  But I don't want to live MMM's life, because I am a different person than him, and I enjoy and value different things.  If I were him, I'd have bought the damn Tesla already instead of the Leaf.  Because I just fucking love cars. 

But, sorry, Mustachianism doesn't include "throwing away tens of thousands of dollars on a toy because it's fun."  That would be Laura-ism:  I'm willing to shop at Aldi's and cook at home precisely so I can have my awesome car.

Tl;dr:  Everything can't be relative, or the whole concept loses all meaning.  My car is anti-Mustachian, and I am ok with that.  Doesn't mean I don't want to work harder to be more Mustachian in other areas of my life.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »

My commute has ranged from 90-120 miles so that I can live in the middle of nowhere with nearly 0 neighbors and a beautiful night sky.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »
There is no way on planet earth my car is Mustachian.

If we use the criteria I think you're using, this is also true of Mr MM's (Pete's) possessions and choices. MMM is unMustachian? Surely he gets to develop the criteria for his own term and cult?

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2017, 09:33:44 AM »
I have several among which is a massage habit.  One to two a month.  The saving grace is that I get reimbursed from my FSA and I go to the no ambiance Asian place that is actually willing to put some effort into unknotting my back muscles and helping my blood circulation.  After that, I'll admit to having cable (and Netflix) because I'm not an outdoor person and the evenings are long and full of loneliness.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 10:01:11 AM »
My hobbies and races. Exercise and sports keeps me sane, keeps me healthy, keeps me happy. Worth every cent.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 10:02:35 AM »
There is no way on planet earth my car is Mustachian.

If we use the criteria I think you're using, this is also true of Mr MM's (Pete's) possessions and choices. MMM is unMustachian? Surely he gets to develop the criteria for his own term and cult?

Not sure what criteria you think I'm using?  FWIW I don't mean cars in general -- I mean my particular car, which cost way too much money and is not environmentally friendly and is purely a toy.  I definitely need a car, but I don't need that car.  I just love it.

Pete, OTOH, is very anti-car and pro-environment.  He seems to be throwing more money around now, such as with the studio and new "HQ" building, but all of these are to some degree assets that appear to at least have a chance of appreciating. 

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »

How has this fared for you and how long have you been doing so?  I am very very middle income (about 30-45k) but am considering a very low cost rental that is out in the country on a beautiful farm... that is 70 miles from my day job :/ 
I drive a hybrid (~53mpg) and the rent there would be about $650/month.  I currently pay $500.

I swear though, when I went to look at it this past weekend my head felt clearer, my heartbeat slowed down, and I really felt at home.  I live in the city now and the crime is high, stress is high, etc.  but my job pays well.  I work 4 days/wk.
Sorry to ask so much- just wanting to pick your brain on this!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
Not sure what criteria you think I'm using?  FWIW I don't mean cars in general -- I mean my particular car, which cost way too much money and is not environmentally friendly and is purely a toy.  I definitely need a car, but I don't need that car.  I just love it.

Pete, OTOH, is very anti-car and pro-environment.  He seems to be throwing more money around now, such as with the studio and new "HQ" building, but all of these are to some degree assets that appear to at least have a chance of appreciating.

That criteria :)     

Pete owns and does lots of things that aren't necessary and aren't environmental, because those particular things are worth it to him. He aims to balance it buy owning and doing fewer such things than the average person does, but he weighs things and makes decisions based on ultimate value to him personally, even when they're not financially efficient or environmental. (This is precisely why I like him so much! He's balanced and conscientious, not rule-based, etc.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
We have a dog and a son.  Unequivocally, the dog earns it's keep . . . the boy . . . somewhat less so.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!