Author Topic: Another question on Vanguard's Solo 401k  (Read 2345 times)

Balance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Another question on Vanguard's Solo 401k
« on: February 15, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
I am about to roll over my SEP into a solo 401k.  I run a single man shop and I want to take advantage of the better tax shelter that the Solo 401k provides over the SEP.  My question before doing so is that I read that Vanguard does not allow admiral shares in the solo 401k.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I know in the grand scheme of things the expense ratio difference is still pretty small but it is still significant.  I have read this is one of the areas that Fidelity might be the better option as their Spartan funds are available on their Solo 401k.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks!

jjface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Another question on Vanguard's Solo 401k
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:30:09 PM »
the vanguard solo 401k doesn't even allow incoming rollovers so you are going to have to go with someone like fidelity.  If you really want you can then transfer it over to vanguard afterwards.  Fidelity allows spartan advantage funds so if you are an indexer then somewhere like fidelity is probably better. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 03:35:11 PM »
TD Ameritrade has a lot of Vanguard ETFs on the no fee list as well.

I really should get around to moving mine from E-Trade to somewhere else.  E-Trade was the first no-maintenance-fee one I found with a Roth option at the time, but knowing what I know now, the Roth option is pretty much worthless to me anyway.  Plus everyone seems to offer it now.

Not sure why Vanguard's is so relatively shitty - I once asked after making an IRA recharacterization about also moving the soloK there, and the rep's first word was "really?"

Balance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »
the vanguard solo 401k doesn't even allow incoming rollovers so you are going to have to go with someone like fidelity.  If you really want you can then transfer it over to vanguard afterwards.  Fidelity allows spartan advantage funds so if you are an indexer then somewhere like fidelity is probably better.

Thanks for the reply.  I wonder if Vanguard would allow the rollover since I currently have my SEP with them.  I will have to call when they are open tomorrow for clarification.  But I think you are right, Fidelity may be the better option regardless.

jjface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
Unfortunately they are limitations of their solo 401k for anyone  - no incoming rollovers, no admiral shares.  I think it is long overdue a revamp.