Author Topic: Annoying little things  (Read 4711 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
Annoying little things
« on: August 07, 2015, 07:25:55 AM »
I moved recently.  I'm all set with basic furniture and kitchen things, i.e. big ticket items.  But the little things that keep popping up are driving me up the wall.  I have money, I can designate couple hundred dollars to this , get them, and be done.  But truly, I find them annoying.  I also find that that the more things I get, the more things that I need pop up.  So I don't thing taking $200 and hitting target will do the trick.  As soon as that is over, there are will be 'new things' that will be needed.

I already decided that I don't need shelves in my bedroom like I though I needed.  Will do without.  But both of my kids need some shelves in their rooms and there is no way around that.  They have no storage otherwise.  Honestly, I think these are the two major items that I can't get away from.

Then there are small things like utensil draw organizers and toilet brush type things that I can pick up at the local $99 and up store for few bucks.  But it's not just these and as soon as I get these there will be others. 

And as soon as my kids are back next week from visiting there grandparents they will start with their own things that they need/want. 

I started making a mental list and keep shifting things down the list that I find have less priority, but it's not helping much. 

Sorry, end of vent.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Annoying little things
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »
Might as well say 'annoying life things'.
There's always something.
I'm a list maker.  It makes things less annoying for me.  I have lists for the dollar store, aldi's and the name brand grocery store (I usually only go there when I have a few things to get).
I also have a list of priorities.   Which gets edited often.   
Such is life.

Oh, and I have two stacks of boxes from when I moved; 13 yrs ago - they are the low priority boxes... 

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »
Well, you're allowing life's necessary little tasks to 'annoy' you instead of looking at them as an opportunity to learn, get something done, optimize, grow.
It's just a mind game. Get your head in the right place & be happy.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:37:26 AM »
Make things out of sticks.  You can always find free sticks.

Or sneak in to your neighbor's yard and break 'em off when no one's looking.

http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/2013/09/diy-ideas-twigs-sticks-branches.html

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »
bobechs, I like that side table a lot

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »
Moving to NYC is a special kind of annoying, I think - I mean, I love it here, but the apartments are generally small and weird and half the stuff you owned in another city just won't fit. And you need to replace your old stuff with 'nothing matters but the storage' furniture. I still regret bringing my little dining table and chairs - all that wasted space...!

...the local $99 and up store
And then of course there's the outrageous Manhattan prices ;-)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »
Make things out of sticks.  You can always find free sticks.

Or sneak in to your neighbor's yard and break 'em off when no one's looking.

Well fancy pants :-) , I was going to say, for years my nieces and nephews kept their clothes neatly folded in banana boxes.
They were also properly arranged in those boxes.
btw, Brother in law and wife are now FI.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »
Some of my best storage furniture is from garage sales. I'm talking less than 10 bucks. If you're more DIY I've seen great looking stuff made from shipping pallets. Add spray paint and some star or wave or bird shaped stencils and they're custom. Paint = magic.

If you're near a college, start watching the sidewalks in April/May for their old stuff. Craigslist is good if you're looking for specific items.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 03:05:36 PM »
I'm pretty stubborn and will hold out a long time (years) to get something free or nearly free. The free section of craigslist is great, just check it daily. You didn't say how old your kids are but maybe you could make a game of it with them. Keep a list of what you want, maybe there is a small prize (reward, game you play, their choice of tv shows for the night?) for whoever finds a thing on the list. Or you could have them help you construct temporary things out of wood pallets that are always free on CL, or out of sturdy cardboard. Either they get to paint it and it becomes a sort of treasure, or it's understood that it's a makeshift thing until a free upgrade comes along.

Seems like an opportunity for quality family time.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »
Some of my best storage furniture is from garage sales. I'm talking less than 10 bucks. If you're more DIY I've seen great looking stuff made from shipping pallets. Add spray paint and some star or wave or bird shaped stencils and they're custom. Paint = magic.

If you're near a college, start watching the sidewalks in April/May for their old stuff. Craigslist is good if you're looking for specific items.

Years ago, I lived near MSU campus, when all the kids had to leave their dorm rooms, the roads sides would be full of
10 x 10 ft carpet pieces, and lots and lots of furniture.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!