Author Topic: Speechless  (Read 4331 times)

MiningMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Speechless
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »
Not sure what to say here, I generally don't post anything anywhere but I've been reading MMM for a few weeks now, and Spent the last 6 days going through my spending and saving from the last year. Putting everything in a spreadsheet etc... Well I made 116,600 Last year (gross including rental) And finding out what was left I basically made 2.50/hr for the whole year. I used to think I had an ok handle on things but obviously not... Reading through the forums it seems alot of people have a really good handle on things but I know everyone started somewhere. So this is my start, hopefully putting this out there will help me stick to my new plan .

ioseftavi

• Bristles
Re: Speechless
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
This is your "waking up from the Matrix" moment.  Most people don't have this moment until they make a life-changing screwup or are 3 years from retirement with only $80,000 saved.

While your realization is fresh in your mind: start implementing changes.  Don't make one-time changes.  Build systems so that your changes stick and become permanent habits. 

This is the difference between setting aside $500 into savings right now, vs automating a $200 auto-deposit to your brokerage account every week.  Yeah, $500 a single time is a larger amount.  But the $200 weekly is far more likely to become permanent, because you automated a manageable amount.  You can do this with lots of areas of your life - find ways to build good habits.  Don't make one-time changes.  You - like me, like all humans - probably suck at one-time changes.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:10:50 AM »
Welcome!  You have a good income to start with, and a rental, so that's great.

Now to optimize. Start working your way through the blog archives and ask lots of questions here.  Good luck!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
Don't be too hard on yourself.  You are NOT alone!  Even here, there are plenty of people who spent the last year making negative money (getting further into debt).  The difference is, we're all now aware of the problem and we want to make a change.   Look for the biggest leaks in your budget and start plugging.  And as ioseftavi said, make those changes permanent.  It can be hard at first, but after a while you'll start developing habits and find that you're able to tighten your belt to the next notch!  Good luck!

MiningMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Got a pretty aggressive plan and the GF on board too so I think we can do it considering my eyes are wide open for the first time haha.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!