Author Topic: Minor Screwup on the 401(k). Advice?  (Read 2212 times)

Shor

• Bristles
Minor Screwup on the 401(k). Advice?
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
So I was checking out my 401(k) results recently thinking quite pleasantly to myself, the recent market uptick should have been awesome for my contributions, yay!

I have the funds split two ways in the only items that made sense to me:
Vanguard European Stock Index 20%
Vanguard Pacific Stock Index 80%

My thinking was of course, keep the US as the primary holder, maybe diversify a little in to the EU since they're doing so grand with mountains of debt, what could go wrong?

Log in to the site, total worth is down 3% just from changes this year. Huh... what is the problem? Oh, Pacific Market is dragging everything down. But the US market has been doing pretty smashing lately!?

Look up the prospectus. So, Vanguard Pacific is actually ZERO US companies... all companies in the Asia Pacific. Wtf why didn't I read that initially??
Look up the list of available options to change my contribution to something in line with the intended 'Total US Market that does not have a killer expense rate'. Nothing remotely close... Ugggh.

So now I have less money than I put in. And PRofC, the largest government-run scam in the world, is fumbling about with their excessive loans causing the recent dips in confidence... I would hate to buy high and sell low.. and there is nothing to really buy in exchange..

I'm considering asking our fund manager to see if we can push it all in to an IRA.. without me needing to quit my job. Apparently only some plans allow this? Why is this even optional? T.T

Any recommendations? Should I hold firm with this large bet on, gulp the Asian stock market??
Should I cut my losses and push to an IRA to give me some real options?
Should I laugh maniacally and move everything to the non-allocated money market?
I could also throw it all in to high expense ratio bond mutual funds.. because that's what They would least expect...?

MidWestLove

• Bristles
Re: Minor Screwup on the 401(k). Advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »
How significant is the amount below vs total portfolio you use in terms of percentages (or is this your total portfolio)?
How much does it affect overall asset allocation (not just this account)?
can you sleep at night? if yes, and this is a small portion of overall portfolio, send new contributions the way you want and it will balance itself out. If this is all of your money and far away from your desired allocation, sell and get it down to the 'sleep well' level

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
Re: Minor Screwup on the 401(k). Advice?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »
Post the investment options in your 401K plan with the expense ratios so we can help you optimize. The tax savings from a 401K are hard to replicate, so this is likely your best place to save even with high expense ratios.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!